Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Hah. You can melt the gold tools from the supplier. That's an easy way to get gold. You actually do need some of them for other purposes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
So where's the easiest place to get lava? I've found some tin and copper under Alphadome so I can finally get patterns going to upgrade my pick, but I haven't any lava. Should I just keep extending my stripmine downwards?

Also I pillaged the marble shrine like someone suggested and now I haven't any taint creeping in! Unfortunately though it's clearing out space outside the dome so now I'm getting a bunch of passives spawning outdoors while I'm stripmining. I've got almost a full menagerie indoors now but I've also a swarm of taintimals outside :/

I don't like how Tchickens can track you through glass; it's unnerving.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How do you get into the Bio-dome underwater if you didn't start there? Just break in?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Reason posted:

How do you get into the Bio-dome underwater if you didn't start there? Just break in?

Yep. Take a boat out, swim down, punch a hole in the glass.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

editing that value in that 'spice of life' mod to around 50 or so is probably one of the best decisions i've ever made.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

let's just say that the dev probably realized it was a little too safe for what it was

Wait is it the blighted hematurge or is there something else? Cause I cheesed that fucker super hard, he's melee only and I just made a little dirt fort and poked him in the face with a wooden sword until he died, half a heart at a time.

McFrugal posted:

Hah. You can melt the gold tools from the supplier. That's an easy way to get gold. You actually do need some of them for other purposes though.

:aaa:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Woo! Hit mithril!

If any of you are like me and have no problems with digging a spiral staircase straight down from the mountain peak teleporter, the coordinates for a 10-ore vein are +1014, +1537, 27.

You can also melt down the railtracks in Beta's abandoned mine-caves for iron. You know, if you needed even more iron

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Once you get all six tech metals, go check out the places they say are ore clusters

Holy crap. There's literally like an ore cluster every 5-10 blocks, I can't wait to make a Pickaxe of the Core and bring it down here.

Only downside is there's fuckin blight everywhere but branch mining is pretty blight resistant.

E: vvv good call

E2: Also bring some ladders so you can make a pocket of air when you're on the ocean's bottom.

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 14, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Bring a pail of water and just drop it all over the blight with rapid right clicks. Quickest way of clearing blight temporarily.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hmm, the quest for cooking grout to make seared bricks says that you're supposed to get a book when you pull it out of the furnace. i didn't receive anything like that, which kinda sucks since i've never used a smelter before and am directly relying on ingame tutorial stuff for some of these processes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I found a hidden area with a bunch of essentia vials and furniture and some botania flowers :neckbeard:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

I found a hidden area with a bunch of essentia vials and furniture and some botania flowers :neckbeard:

Check the bookshelf as well!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Man I just stole an entire infusion altar from a secret base hidden at the bottom of the bay, due south of the swamp teleporter. Botania flowers there too!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Magres posted:

Check the bookshelf as well!

yep looted the hell out of that

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

hmm, the quest for cooking grout to make seared bricks says that you're supposed to get a book when you pull it out of the furnace. i didn't receive anything like that, which kinda sucks since i've never used a smelter before and am directly relying on ingame tutorial stuff for some of these processes.

Craft the TCon books. "Materials And You" in NEI.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Did some exploring of the ship. The rear of the ship has a Hall of Fame, in which contributors to the pack have a model of themselves placed that has a book at their feet that talks a little bit about what they did for the pack. Above the Hall of fame is a room you can't access without breaking blocks, that has three levers that are toggled in an ON position. Haven't played with those yet. I decided to check out the outside of the ship to see if there was anything new out there.

It actually looks like a proper spaceship, complete with "fire" spewing engines. The top of the reactor has been covered, so now you can't see the controller (shame). The really interesting part is that there is a platform up there with signs, welcoming you to Blightfall and directing you to step on a teleport pad... which takes you to the position that you start in when you actually first enter the map. Oops.

The rest of the ship is still empty, but it is nice to see that they attempted to expand the ship a bit. Cool stuff.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Taffer posted:

Craft the TCon books. "Materials And You" in NEI.

yeah, i started searching for what i could make to give me an idea. i'm glad the recipes for tutorial books are always so cheap and easy to make.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Reason posted:

The biodomes should really come with at least a door-sized section of ineffable glass, my only real complaint about them

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

The biodomes should really come with at least a door-sized section of ineffable glass, my only real complaint about them

Or be entirely ineffable glass :getin:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there a trick to planting sunflower seeds? That's the first thing I got when requesting seeds and I can't make it do anything. :(

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Anyone know of a good source for Lucrum essentia? I kind of want to transmute up a bunch of gold, but the only source of Lucrum I know that isn't either gold or diamonds itself is those unstable taint tendril things.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
There isn't one afaik, though if you can get a set of all six kinds of primal essentia mana beans, A) Tell me how please, and B) you can breed up Lucrum beans. The entire spooky obsidian tower island counts as one of the kinds of magical biomes where mana beans can grow so it's really easy to do an enormous bean farm if you can get them.

Anyone know, how long will the Big Reactor the ship gives you last? Yellorite seems crazy rare and I want to do industrial stuff but I don't want to have to spend my life scrounging for yellorite.

Wait, wait, okay you can make a positive energy loop. Golem run wheat farm, golem run tree farm, feed the wheat into a Cyclic Assembler to grind it to flour, then smelt it in a bank of furnaces powered by the tree farm, then autosubmit it to the Colonist. It costs 20 RF per assembly so eat loaf of bread costs you 20 RF, where a Redstone energy cell has 400k RF and costs 4 Rep to refill, so 1 rep is worth 100k RF. Bread exchanges for rep at a rate of 256 bread per 9 rep, so each loaf of bread is worth around a thirtieth of a point of rep. You'll spend around 2500 RF to get enough rep for a leadstone energy refill.

INFINITE BREAD-BASED ENERGY! BETTER LIVING THROUGH SCIENCE (and magic)! And energy cells just keep getting more efficient as you use bigger ones, Hardened refills cost about twice as much and give about 5x as much RF, and the next tier costs half again as much but gives 10x more RF. I'm guessing a Resonant Energy Cell refill will cost like 25-30 rep, but holds 80 million RF, which is enough power to smelt fifty thousand items (literally, smelting takes 1600 RF per smelt)

Thank god, cause I really don't want to do BigReactors. I'm a Nuclear Engineer for a living, and my idea of fun doesn't include doing a fake dumb version of my job in video games

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 14, 2015

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I think my only big complaint with Blightfall so far is that teams don't share teleport locations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Right now my big problem is charging my wand (hopefully to soon be wands, plural). To do Thaumcraft you need to fetch Vis for your wands and searching for nodes that aren't weak silverwood nodes (that you don't want to break or bottle anyways) is hazardous at best.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Alkydere posted:

Right now my big problem is charging my wand (hopefully to soon be wands, plural). To do Thaumcraft you need to fetch Vis for your wands and searching for nodes that aren't weak silverwood nodes (that you don't want to break or bottle anyways) is hazardous at best.

Well at the very beginning you can just kill mobs for vis, and avoid using the vis. You can also go looking for nodes in the oceans and rivers etc, those are easier/quicker to get to. You should absolutely rush for CV research and get a good all-rounder node in a jar, then you'll never have to worry about vis ever again.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Easiest way to do that is to hit the ocean. I do all of my wand charging in Blightfall out on the water where the taint doesn't matter.

Only problem is that Terra nodes are kinda scarce, but it's better than nothing.

Additionally, you can bottle nodes and drag them back to base, though it has a high likelihood of weakening them, and if you pack them all together they'll cannibalize each other. Additionally, nodes that have big compound aspects that have all of the kinds of primal in it are worth marking down. You can eventually extract every kind of vis from them and have an easy way to charge any wand or wands you like.

e;f,b

listen to mcfrugal, get the node stabilizer research on the thaumaturgy page and all the junk that branches up from it, bottle a node, and drag that sucker home to power everything forever. You'll need a silverwood wand though, for the storage capacity

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh, I know all about node stabilizers hooked up to crafting tables solving almost everything with the stupid Vis system, the pain is getting there.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Alkydere posted:

Oh, I know all about node stabilizers hooked up to crafting tables solving almost everything with the stupid Vis system, the pain is getting there.
Honestly, getting a decent vis source and working towards the centivis chargers is so important that every modpack I play that has it, I don't do almost anything in Thaumcraft until I've got that set up. It's actually really frustrating and I'm tired of doing it, but vis is just an absolute pain at this point.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I really, really wish there were some like "YES THAUMCRAFT I HAVE DONE YOUR DAMNED RESEARCH EIGHT TIMES" command that you could just unlock everything with. When I play minecraft with my friends, we hop modpacks a lot and I'm always the designated wizard, which was fine before, but I have come to be absolutely sick to death of doing thaumcraft research.

Not even a Blightfall thing, just Thaumcraft's research minigame is absolutely atrocious when you've done it all before. But regarding Blightfall, if there's a way to code "unlock all the non-warp research" into a quest and pay like a hundred rep for it because command thinks you're loving insane for declaring I AM WHIZZARD then I'd pay the rep cost in a heartbeat to skip the utter slog that Thaumcraft research has become.

Legitimately I'd really love a mod that adds some non-trivial, secret ritual you can do to unlock all the research in base thaumcraft, maybe in TT as well because they're usually included together. Something juuust difficult that it's not a "hey, hey press me to skip this" button taunting you forever, but easy enough to be very easy once you've done it a few times. Maybe like do the ritual for Boots of the Traveler without researching them or something

E: Easy source of Ordo I just thought of that I had never considered before because I'm dumb - tree farm for charcoal, cook your charcoal into ignis and potentia, alchemical centrifuge the potentia for ordo and ignis. Voila, one of the worst essentia to get, trivialized. Now if only there were a way to get Aura that weren't absolute poo poo :( Maybe the new Botania stuff will have something, there's gotta be some way to get it en masse or there wouldn't be any point to letting the Machine of the Dawn use it.

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 14, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Wow, you jump up the tool tech tree pretty drat quick once you've got a smeltery. Went from having a flint pick to an iron one, and I've also got an obsidian pick for diamond level breaking. And I've got a platinum pickaxe head that I both kind of want to put on something and kind of not (no other platinum to repair it with).

Now that I've got a bunch of gold, thaumcraft stuff is next on my to-do list.

Magres posted:

I really, really wish there were some like "YES THAUMCRAFT I HAVE DONE YOUR DAMNED RESEARCH EIGHT TIMES" command that you could just unlock everything with. When I play minecraft with my friends, we hop modpacks a lot and I'm always the designated wizard, which was fine before, but I have come to be absolutely sick to death of doing thaumcraft research.

Not even a Blightfall thing, just Thaumcraft's research minigame is absolutely atrocious when you've done it all before. But regarding Blightfall, if there's a way to code "unlock all the non-warp research" into a quest and pay like a hundred rep for it because command thinks you're loving insane for declaring I AM WHIZZARD then I'd pay the rep cost in a heartbeat to skip the utter slog that Thaumcraft research has become.

Legitimately I'd really love a mod that adds some non-trivial, secret ritual you can do to unlock all the research in base thaumcraft, maybe in TT as well because they're usually included together. Something juuust difficult that it's not a "hey, hey press me to skip this" button taunting you forever, but easy enough to be very easy once you've done it a few times. Maybe like do the ritual for Boots of the Traveler without researching them or something

Yessssss. If we do get a "Declare Self Wizard" button I absolutely want it to tank your reputation. That would be funny as hell.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Seriously I wouldn't even mind the WIZZARD button costing you like 200-300 reputation. I'm at +400 right now and have been requisitioning heavily the entire time I've played. I wouldn't even care if it just put you down to -100, literally just anything to not have to slog through the utter tedium of Thaumcraft research.

A cutscene of you like popping into the ship and declaring "I AM WIZARD HERE ME FIREBALL" and Captain Shiitake being like "Seriously? Our only hope is this idiot? YOU'RE NOT A WIZARD YOU JACKHOLE. YOU HAVE A WEEK TO UN!@#$ THIS MISSION BEFORE WE GO HOME" would be the greatest thing ever.

Bonus points for an alternate ending to the Thaum line of quests where you arrive on ship bedecked in WHIZZARD gear and shoot a fireball at the wall and Shiitake still isn't impressed :v:

E: Holy crap I never realized how much centivis tech is a really, really early game thing. I've only ever done it after really heavily developing the rest of my thaumcraft infrastructure. Getting the Silverwood wand to jar nodes for it is kind of a pain but really, greatwood gold wand -> infusion -> silverwood thaumium wand -> node in a jar -> CV tech is not that long of a tech path and shiiiit is it worth it. Though you could also do a Greatwood Gold Scepter, cause it'd have a capacity of 75 and get you there!

If anyone's looking for a really solid everything node, there's one up at 997, 240, 64 XYZ that's got 30 Messis on it, so it'll spit out 5 CV of every type of Vis, 4 if you don't get lucky and it goes pale. A 4/5 CV everything node is a really good node to find in the wild, given that the absolute best you can possibly make is only 12 CV and takes literally a week to make.

Magres fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 14, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Magres posted:

E: Easy source of Ordo I just thought of that I had never considered before because I'm dumb - tree farm for charcoal, cook your charcoal into ignis and potentia, alchemical centrifuge the potentia for ordo and ignis. Voila, one of the worst essentia to get, trivialized. Now if only there were a way to get Aura that weren't absolute poo poo :( Maybe the new Botania stuff will have something, there's gotta be some way to get it en masse or there wouldn't be any point to letting the Machine of the Dawn use it.

I haven't progressed anywhere near far enough in Blightfall to confirm that it exists, but in other packs I've played Forgotten Magic adds a botania flower that eats mana and drops a random ethereal essence. I assume it's here though, try researching down the forgotten magic tab.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Wow, you jump up the tool tech tree pretty drat quick once you've got a smeltery. Went from having a flint pick to an iron one, and I've also got an obsidian pick for diamond level breaking. And I've got a platinum pickaxe head that I both kind of want to put on something and kind of not (no other platinum to repair it with).

Save your Platinum head for a separate pick. Platinum has an absolutely horrible durability so you'll only be using it for ores. Keep it with you so you can pry out some Mithril or something when you find something that gives you a better pick.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

I haven't progressed anywhere near far enough in Blightfall to confirm that it exists, but in other packs I've played Forgotten Magic adds a botania flower that eats mana and drops a random ethereal essence. I assume it's here though, try researching down the forgotten magic tab.

Oh my god thank you so much

Particularly because it being in Ethereal Essence form means you can actually do Thaumic Energistics, solving my other problem.

E: I just got a Resonant Portable Tank out of a machine bag :stare:

Goodbye, transporting lava problems. Hello, trying to fill a 512 bucket tank problems.

E2: A random touch in the Jaded that I love - there's two Ender chests that are the same color chest with a pipe running along the ceiling from one to the other, so you see a constant stream of items trickling through

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 14, 2015

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Magres posted:

E: Holy crap I never realized how much centivis tech is a really, really early game thing. I've only ever done it after really heavily developing the rest of my thaumcraft infrastructure. Getting the Silverwood wand to jar nodes for it is kind of a pain but really, greatwood gold wand -> infusion -> silverwood thaumium wand -> node in a jar -> CV tech is not that long of a tech path and shiiiit is it worth it. Though you could also do a Greatwood Gold Scepter, cause it'd have a capacity of 75 and get you there!

If anyone's looking for a really solid everything node, there's one up at 997, 240, 64 XYZ that's got 30 Messis on it, so it'll spit out 5 CV of every type of Vis, 4 if you don't get lucky and it goes pale. A 4/5 CV everything node is a really good node to find in the wild, given that the absolute best you can possibly make is only 12 CV and takes literally a week to make.
Yeah, my big problem with CV isn't really the tech so much (though a few infusions are seriously heavy), it's more dealing with finding a good node to tap. It takes so much to convert that one node is about all I can afford, so hunting for something that has EVERYTHING is basically all I can do.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

FINALLY found some aluminum. Picks here I come!

And thanks to whoever mentioned the juicer and berries. Really helped my food intake. Wondering what I should do next. Might prep an expedition to the volcano and find a level 4 mining ore.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, my big problem with CV isn't really the tech so much (though a few infusions are seriously heavy), it's more dealing with finding a good node to tap. It takes so much to convert that one node is about all I can afford, so hunting for something that has EVERYTHING is basically all I can do.

The 30 Messis one should do the trick - if you haven't been near it yet and take a Scepter and node materials, you can even scoop it up before it gets tainted, I think

Also, there are no infusions involved in CV tech if you don't go for a Thaumium Silverwood wand to do it. Basic Stabilizers, Transducers, Vis Relays, and Vis Charging Relays are all Arcane Workbench projects. If you do a Gold Capped Greatwood Scepter, you can even do node in a jar without anything that requires an infusion - I'm actually gonna get my CV setup rolling without doing any infusions because they're annoying and I'm lazy.

Magres fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 14, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I wish I was more organize when teching up. I have a mess of chests everywhere with random bits and bobs in them. Terraformed most of the second swamp delta island though so now I have a ton of real estate. I'll probably use that for farming and botania stuff and there's a zombie spawner underneath I'm gonna try and use to get some brains. My 5 silverwood saplings will be used to turn the last island into a magical forest biome so I can try to farm mana beans.

Is there a good way to make plants that are biome specific grow? All the oak trees I plant are regular no vines stuff. I want to make the swamp look like a swamp.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

I wish I was more organize when teching up. I have a mess of chests everywhere with random bits and bobs in them. Terraformed most of the second swamp delta island though so now I have a ton of real estate. I'll probably use that for farming and botania stuff and there's a zombie spawner underneath I'm gonna try and use to get some brains. My 5 silverwood saplings will be used to turn the last island into a magical forest biome so I can try to farm mana beans.

Is there a good way to make plants that are biome specific grow? All the oak trees I plant are regular no vines stuff. I want to make the swamp look like a swamp.

You'd have to put vines on the trees manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Thankfully you can be frugal and stick a smattering on the leaves, leaving the vines to slowly grow down to the ground for themselves.