Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Does anybody know how to add things to This PC's weird totally-not-libraries or quick-access 'Folders' section?

All of the default libraries are there already, but I want to add just one extra library. Which means I have to turn Show Libraries on, which is a huge waste because it's just a complete duplication of all the This PC items that aren't drive letters plus one extra folder. I'd rather just add my thing straight to the user folders in This PC and keep libraries off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Does anybody know how to add things to This PC's weird totally-not-libraries or quick-access 'Folders' section?

Open needed folder. Right click on the Quick access thingy. Pin current folder to Quick Access.
Or in folder's ribbon click the huge pin to quick access button.

Edit: I misread your question. There seems to be a utility to add arbitrary folders called "This PC Tweaker" http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.213.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Aug 14, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is there a way to get 7 to stop trying to download 10? I already have 10 on another drive and every time I go to do windows update, it says it is downloading Windows 10. The option Windows 10 update is unchecked and hidden, I just want my normal security updates.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I just went ahead and let it download. It hasn't installed itself behind my back, and I still got the most recent security updates the next time it checked for them. Just had to uncheck "Upgrade to Windows 10 Home" in the list of updates I wanted to install.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Try uninstalling these updates:

RightClickSaveAs posted:

In the Windows 10 update screen, right click on these two updates (KB3021917 and KB3035583) and click "Hide"

e: actually you'll have to uninstall those two updates first, as you probably already have them installed. Go to "View Update History" then click on the "To remove and update, view Installed Updates" link on the top of the screen, which will get you to ANOTHER screen where you can select updates to uninstall. Uninstall the two listed in the screenshot above.

May need to go under "Optional Updates" and hide the "Upgrade to Windows 10" update as well. Now you can go on your merry Windows 7 way, and it should give you just the regular security updates.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ah, I didn't know there was a second one. I uninstalled 3035583 but didn't know about the other. I'll check that out when I get home. Thanks.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

In the Windows 10 update screen, right click on these two updates (KB3021917 and KB3035583) and click "Hide"

e: actually you'll have to uninstall those two updates first, as you probably already have them installed. Go to "View Update History" then click on the "To remove and update, view Installed Updates" link on the top of the screen, which will get you to ANOTHER screen where you can select updates to uninstall. Uninstall the two listed in the screenshot above.

May need to go under "Optional Updates" and hide the "Upgrade to Windows 10" update as well. Now you can go on your merry Windows 7 way, and it should give you just the regular security updates.

Added this to the second post. Suggestions for other stuff to go there welcome.

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010
My upgrade to Windows 10 has been a pleasant experience on my desktop, except for the fact entering my pin on the login screen now has to wait for my HDDs to spin up coming out of sleep. It kinda defeats the purpose of having an SSD with this behavior. Windows 7 never had this issue, I could type my whole password before the monitor woke up and it'd be sitting there ready to go. Has anyone else experienced this?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Perhaps that's what is happening to mine as well. 10 takes way longer to come out of S3 Sleep than Windows 8.1 did, like 10-15 seconds vs 2-5. It's not a big deal but its one of those things where I can't figure out why its happening.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Gunslinger posted:

Perhaps that's what is happening to mine as well. 10 takes way longer to come out of S3 Sleep than Windows 8.1 did, like 10-15 seconds vs 2-5. It's not a big deal but its one of those things where I can't figure out why its happening.

Probably hybrid shutdown. Disable that and it should come back near instantly.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Lum posted:

Also the latest WinAero Tweaker lets you enable the Aero Lite theme which has coloured titlebars without the bugginess of the other method.

Holy poo poo, thank you so very much for that link. I can actually differentiate the active and inactive windows now, and with the white text on title bars reinstated, I can also read what they are. The poorly thought out visuals have been my only real complaint with 10 so far, and now that's more under my control again.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I'm not really sure what they were thinking with Edge. Like, I want to use it and it has some neat features, and the speed seems noticeably improved from IE 10/11.

At the same time it doesn't support any extensions, which renders it unusable for me.

It also looks like my weird domain issues aren't an isolated occurrence.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I'm not really sure what they were thinking with Edge. Like, I want to use it and it has some neat features, and the speed seems noticeably improved from IE 10/11.

At the same time it doesn't support any extensions, which renders it unusable for me.

Edge is unfinished, that's why. It was supposed to launch with extension support which would have been completed around the time Windows 10 was originally supposed to launch, in October. That all had to be scaled back and added in later because Microsoft wanted to catch the back to school and college kids audience which is why it got released at the end of July.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I have found out how to add the recycle bin to the quick access panel in explorer. This is great for people who prefer to hide desktop icons.

Download ThisPC Tweaker. Choose the option to add a shell location, and add the recycle bin there. It'll now show up in ThisPC alongside C:\ etc.
Then you can drag it onto the quick access bar (but can't right click and pin), and optionally remove it from ThisPC using ThisPC Tweaker again. It functions like a proper recycle bin, with the correct context menu, and ability to drag things into it.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Lum posted:

I have found out how to add the recycle bin to the quick access panel in explorer. This is great for people who prefer to hide desktop icons.

Download ThisPC Tweaker. Choose the option to add a shell location, and add the recycle bin there. It'll now show up in ThisPC alongside C:\ etc.
Then you can drag it onto the quick access bar (but can't right click and pin), and optionally remove it from ThisPC using ThisPC Tweaker again. It functions like a proper recycle bin, with the correct context menu, and ability to drag things into it.

Oh thank you. That page got me my power plans back on the battery indicator.
e: or rather the windows 10 link at the top did.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Downloaded the most recent update. All of my language packs are broken,.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Lum posted:

I had no problems putting the Recycle Bin in my Quick Access list just by opening it, right clicking the "Quick Access" header and clicking "Pin current folder to Quick Access." Dragging and dropping it also worked for me.

Are you talking about some other quick access thing?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Is there some way to leave enabled hidden files/folders in File Explorer, but not have it show the desktop.ini on my goddamn desktop?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Has anyone had a problem with right clicking files in a folder? Since upgrading I've noticed that I can't right-click files without explorer crashing and restarting, even after a complete reboot.

EDIT: Figured it out, my driver had multiple updates for the Windows 10 upgrade, not just one. :downs: I'm right-clicking to my heart's desire once more.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 14, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

What a weird thing to say.

Were you using any extensions in IE? Most people who use IE were not using Adblock's IE plugin, or intentionally using any other plugin I suspect. So restated, you're saying "huh, they built this new default browser which has some neat features and is noticeably faster than the old default browser but didn't ship with a replacement for barely used functionality... why the heck did they bother making it at all?? What were they thinking????" How about because it has some neat features? How about because it's noticeably faster? Why did the release have to be gated on MORE stuff?

Not to mention can update it more frequently now that they've changed release models and won't be locked into the requirements of ancient legacy compatibility.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

taiyoko posted:

Is there some way to leave enabled hidden files/folders in File Explorer, but not have it show the desktop.ini on my goddamn desktop?

Desktop.ini files are suppressed by the "Hide protected operating system files" setting. Re-enable that and they should disappear.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Lum posted:

Honestly not trolling, but aren't like, everyone?, using shift+delete which bypasses the recycle bin and just deletes the file immediately?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Marinmo posted:

Honestly not trolling, but aren't like, everyone?, using shift+delete which bypasses the recycle bin and just deletes the file immediately?

I've learned something today!!!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Factor Mystic posted:

Were you using any extensions in IE? Most people who use IE were not using Adblock's IE plugin, or intentionally using any other plugin I suspect. So restated, you're saying "huh, they built this new default browser which has some neat features and is noticeably faster than the old default browser but didn't ship with a replacement for barely used functionality... why the heck did they bother making it at all?? What were they thinking????" How about because it has some neat features? How about because it's noticeably faster? Why did the release have to be gated on MORE stuff?

Not to mention can update it more frequently now that they've changed release models and won't be locked into the requirements of ancient legacy compatibility.

To be more specific, I use Chrome or Firefox for day-to-day usage with some casual IE 10/11 usage in the workplace. My assumption was (based on rumblings heard before release) that the Windows 10 variant of IE would finally be matching its counterparts in add-on/extension offerings, at least in capability. I understand the "marketplace" for such a thing doesn't really exist as of now.

I don't recall saying anything questioning why the product exists, but rather why it launched in a state that still makes it a non-preferable choice in most circumstances.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 14, 2015

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Wait what the gently caress? I had to entirely format and reinstall on my SSD to fix the failed update. Using the revert to factory defaults poo poo even with a USB copy of Win10 loaded wasn't working, kept getting stuck at 10%. Now Windows is barking about not being activated. What the gently caress is the entire point of the Microsoft account if it's not retaining simple poo poo like the fact I activated?

Is this a loving joke? I have to install Windows 7 patch the gently caress out of then install Windows 10 from that? Why can't I just give the Windows 7 cd key and Microsoft says yep thats legit and activate? This is loving obtuse as poo poo.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

YouTuber posted:

Wait what the gently caress? I had to entirely format and reinstall on my SSD to fix the failed update. Using the revert to factory defaults poo poo even with a USB copy of Win10 loaded wasn't working, kept getting stuck at 10%. Now Windows is barking about not being activated. What the gently caress is the entire point of the Microsoft account if it's not retaining simple poo poo like the fact I activated?

Is this a loving joke? I have to install Windows 7 patch the gently caress out of then install Windows 10 from that? Why can't I just give the Windows 7 cd key and Microsoft says yep thats legit and activate? This is loving obtuse as poo poo.

You have to do a successful upgrade for it to register your hardware ID for automatic future activation.

The good news is you don't have to fully patch Win7; install it without letting the installer do any updates. Make sure Win7 shows as activated, then either run the media creation tool or pop in the Win10 media to do the upgrade.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Jan posted:

The Start Menu is managed using a service, with a database and poo poo. That database has been notoriously lovely for me, with fun issues like permanently becoming unable to detect start menu changes, even after a reboot.

The database is located in %LOCALAPPDATA%\TileDataLayer\Database. The services using that database are "Tile Data model server" and "State Repository Service". They're constantly using the database, so there's no way to delete or rename it while it's in use. You can seemingly stop the services using services.msc, but they start right back up (within a second) and then refuse to be stopped again. They can be killed by using the task manager, look for appmodel under Windows processes. But, again, they'll start right back up.

Try this first, though it seems like killing the processes is still necessary.

If you're lucky, you might be able to kill the processes, rename or delete the database folder before Windows starts it back up. If you're unlucky, you might need to create a second user with Administrative rights and kill the services before deleting the database from your main user. It seems as though it doesn't hold on to the database of non-running users.

Anyway, with that done, the start menu went back to semi-normal. It still has hiccups where it stops refreshing certain apps or folders until a reboot, but at least it doesn't stop working permanently.

It does. The old Start Menu location gets scanned normally, though it won't show more than one folder deep in the new "All Apps" section. I decided to go through and remove most of the subfolders, that gives a nice flat hierarchy.

But guess what! There's also a bug with the start menu that prevents it from displaying more than 512 entries.

Run Powershell and paste "Get-StartApps | measure". If that gives you more than 512 entries, enjoy cleaning up all those uninstallers, URL shortcuts and help files! If not, just nuke the tile database as described above.

p.s.: posting this from Safe Mode, which required booting from a recovery disc to enable, because some genius at Microsoft decided that modern systems boot too fast for the F8 key to be worthwhile! All of this because loving windows update installed a cumulative update and then failed to boot back to desktop! I love Windows 10!
:thumbsup:

poo poo.

Thanks for this, but it hasn't helped. In fact, things are kinda worse. All my Start Menu folders and live tiles are gone now :(

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

poo poo.

Thanks for this, but it hasn't helped. In fact, things are kinda worse. All my Start Menu folders and live tiles are gone now :(

Ah, I should've mentioned that it's a destructive process. :(

I had to run the PowerShell command to get universal apps to show again, even Settings was gone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Factor Mystic posted:

It's lacking a lot more besides just extensions - as I've said before it would have made a hell of a lot more sense to just make the new engine available in the IE shell.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Techno Remix posted:

I need to ask a really dumb question that'll probably make me look like an idiot.

I upgraded a few days ago and hadn't noticed until tonight, but my CD/DVD drive is completely missing from my device manager. No yellow exclamation point indicating it's not working, it's just completely disappeared. I tried downloading the drivers from ASUS' website but they told me I already had the most updated driver. The tray still opens and closes and I can hear the disc spinning in the tray when I close it, but nothing comes up and I can't even see a D: drive in my File Explorer.

My Google skills are really weak right now and all I can gather is that this was a problem with upgrading from 7 to 8.1 but I went straight from 7 to 10 and I have no idea what the best way to fix it is. Anyone else run into this?

Oops nevermind saw you were talking about Device manager and not explorer.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Factor Mystic posted:

Tracking Protection Lists do most of what an ad blocker can do - the major deficiency was they couldn't do jack vs. YouTube ads. There is no good substitute for those in Edge yet, and I'm wondering if that isn't by design. (Also I was under the impression that AdBlock for IE had been broken for yonks.)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lum posted:

This is a great idea. I don't actually use the recycle bin, but some programs that offer a "delete file" option seem to think that when I hit delete I really mean "Recycle" and it's nice to see the icon occasionally to see if I need to clear it.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

edit: Attn: chocolateTHUNDER

Fixed what was causing my monitor to stay on despite my power settings, turns out its the "HID-compliant game controller" causing the problem. Disabled it and now everything works.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/12596-monitor-display-will-not-turn-off-4.html

XYZ fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 15, 2015

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Windows 10 has managed to completely break my WiFi. And based on a Google search I'm not the only one it's done this to, but none of the proposed fixes has worked. It was weird how it happened too as it was a gradual decline. The WiFi was fine for a day or two after the update and then slowly began d/c-ing at random times and simply restarting the connection fixed it , then the d/c's happened more and more often, until today when it d/c'd and now it won't even pick up a signal. Every other device I own works fine and the laptop had no issues at all until I updated.

Edit: Just got it to pick up a signal again after several reboots, but now it just says it can't connect and gives me the finger.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 15, 2015

Judge Ito Boxing
Oct 29, 2011

There's a lot of value in the public being able to see how the system works.

XYZ posted:

Fixed what was causing my monitor to stay on despite my power settings, turns out its the "HID-compliant game controller" causing the problem. Disabled it and now everything works.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/12596-monitor-display-will-not-turn-off-4.html

This was a thing in 8/8.1 too, for those of you keeping score of how many things didn't get fixed on the way to Windows 10.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
My desktop is stuck in a bootloop after the update from two days ago. I have no idea how to fix it without formatting.
Windows 10 was ok until it broke everything.

My laptop also crashes with the no page file error when i scroll down my downloads folder.

I think I will switch back to windows 7/8

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Katosabi posted:

My upgrade to Windows 10 has been a pleasant experience on my desktop, except for the fact entering my pin on the login screen now has to wait for my HDDs to spin up coming out of sleep. It kinda defeats the purpose of having an SSD with this behavior. Windows 7 never had this issue, I could type my whole password before the monitor woke up and it'd be sitting there ready to go. Has anyone else experienced this?
I always ensure my HDDs never go to sleep.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Biggus Dickus posted:

Not just you - during heavy copying sessions (eg lots of video from one HD to another) I get all kinds of weird things like blank folder names, switched file/folder names and the like.

Oh man, I really wish I had seen this a couple of days ago. My storage drive is my old HDD from before I installed an SSD. When I ran Windows off it I had it short stroked, but I wanted to finally merge the partitions... so since all my data was on the second, larger partition, it was kind of messy to simply merge them and I ended up with a dynamic disk with the partition starting offset, so I thought, hey, I'll back everything up to one of my laptops, wipe it out and start fresh, and copy everything back.

NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM_ERROR

:eek:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MikusR posted:

Edit: I misread your question. There seems to be a utility to add arbitrary folders called "This PC Tweaker" http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.213.
This did the job awesomely, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

XYZ posted:

What the gently caress. I noticed that my computer started showing the screen saver and turning off the display recently, after not doing so before. Now that I think about it, I likely had my Xbox 360 controller plugged in when it was not sleeping.