Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I have so little free time these days that I won't be able to actually watch the show simul, but I can watch after and comment on it. I haven't seen the show since the film came out so this should be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

My favorite Haruhi memory was buying the show for my sister with episode order instructions etc., and her review was "yea, the show was fine, but I'm kinda disappointed it wasn't all like the first (Mikuru) episode."

Also the only reason I watched the show was because I was scrolling down a list of anime titles and the long name caught my eye, then the weird title made me chuckle so I watched it. In other words, no one from the Internet ruined the show for me by pestering my to watch it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

My favorite Haruhi memory was buying the show for my sister with episode order instructions etc., and her review was "yea, the show was fine, but I'm kinda disappointed it wasn't all like the first (Mikuru) episode."

Hearty lol.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I didn't remember Tomare, and I listened to it and it's pretty great. So yeah, it didn't have a bad OP/ED, though Season 1's ED put a huge expectation on season 2's. So, yeah. I really liked it! Though the second verse is better

Stealth edit: The autoplay put on the Rec OP.

Unstealth edit: Rewatching the ED reminds me that Yuki was the best.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 13, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

this'll be neat to rewatch. haruhi wasn't my first anime, but along with gurren lagann and fma 2003 it's one of the first I went out of my way to find and watch online, rather than just being another cartoon that showed up on weekend blocks like toonami shows

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

...no one from the Internet ruined the show for me by pestering my to watch it.

I was among the lucky who stumbled across Haruhi on episode 1 before any hype could build up. It was hard coming to terms with The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru being a one time thing, but the overall show quality won me over. I can't think of any other first episode that took me quite so awesomely off-guard. Plus I haven't watched it since 2009 (save Disappearance Decembers) so I'm on board.

Random thought on Disappearance though: I recently watched a reviewer muse about the different way the movie might have worked without the inner narration of Kyon. Blasphemy many might say, but I'm looking foward to watching again with that in mind... and maybe planting the seed into some enterprising video editor here game for a new project.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I don't want to imagine that

Kyon's inner monologues are excellent

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Haruhi confession: I have never watched The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Haruhi confession: I have never watched The Adventures of Asahina Mikuru

0_0

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Linnaeus posted:

Kyon's inner monologues are excellent

I think it's partly because I just rewatched Jin-Roh, where the main character has a handful of lines throughout the whole movie (at least that's how it seems).

Btw, it finally got a new BR release at $19 vice the $199+ it was 10 years ago, so there's no excuse for everyone here not to own it. :colbert:

http://www.amazon.com/Jin-Roh-Brigade-Artist-Not-Provided/dp/B00R6PE1DY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439511055&sr=8-1&keywords=jin-roh

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I never watched this because the Internet made it seem like it'd be too hard to get into, with all these different watch orders and poo poo.

But this is the year I started watching LoGH, another show I had put off for years because it seemed too hard to get into, and that's been great.

So if it's as straight forward as just watching it in broadcast order, I will watch this Haruhi's melancholy.

I'm also a big fan of Hyouka, so if it's the same studio then that's promising.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hocus Pocus posted:

I never watched this because the Internet made it seem like it'd be too hard to get into, with all these different watch orders and poo poo.

But this is the year I started watching LoGH, another show I had put off for years because it seemed too hard to get into, and that's been great.

So if it's as straight forward as just watching it in broadcast order, I will watch this Haruhi's melancholy.

I'm also a big fan of Hyouka, so if it's the same studio then that's promising.

The actual timeline of events happens in a specific order in the episodes, (Melancholy Part 1-6, then the other episodes) but since (in the first season) any episode not actually called "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Part X" is stuff like a baseball game the order doesn't really matter and the way they did it allows for big climax at the end of the season.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

An excuse to rewatch Haruhi? I'm in.

It's just too bad that amazing photo hunt turned into a slot machine instead of S3...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wrong, and also, lots of people haven't seen it yet. I personally don't really care about spoilers but I know people do so laying out something like this may give people the wrong preconceived notions. Not a spoiler per se I guess but still man...

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

im remaking the big Kyon gif so we can all use it to respond to all the haters during this simulwatch

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

im remaking the big Kyon gif so we can all use it to respond to all the haters during this simulwatch

wb

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Hey I'm glad you went through with this In Training, Haruhi's maybe my favorite show and usually gets interesting reactions from people

I don't think it's overhyped, overrated, or any less complex than it's most ardent evangelists claim

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 14, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Something to keep in mind for all 'serious haruhi watchers' - who is the author? Most important works of film/tv postmodernism, from Hitchcock to Evangelion fit the auteur theory in some way or another, but Haruhi is unusual in that it's a stylistically coherent work of the strongest order without any single dominant voice behind it, to my knowledge.

In other words

Keep this in mind, because it's constantly reflected in the plot. There are lots of shows without an 'author,' but I don't know any that manage Haruhi's level of consistency and self consciousness.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 15, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Important to keep in mind, especially considering it's an adaptation of a written work that, due to its structural changes, barely reflects the intent of the original work at all.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
My favorite episode is the space battle one.

I loved it even more after I watched logh, and I think my viewing of logh was enhanced because of it.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Zas posted:

Something to keep in mind for all 'serious haruhi watchers' (lol) - just who is the author? Most important works of film/tv postmodernism, from Hitchcock to Evangelion (again lol, but seriously) fit the auteur theory in some way or another, but Haruhi is unusual in that it's a stylistically coherent work of the strongest order without any single dominant voice behind it, to my knowledge.

In other words

Keep this issue in mind, because it's constantly reflected in the plot.

Strangely enough, or perhaps completely intentionally, authorship is a significant plot element in the last episode of The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki as well...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

We shan't be speaking of that program.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

The actual timeline of events happens in a specific order in the episodes, (Melancholy Part 1-6, then the other episodes) but since (in the first season) any episode not actually called "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Part X" is stuff like a baseball game the order doesn't really matter and the way they did it allows for big climax at the end of the season.

The way they did it does allow for a climax at the end of the season, yes, but there's a reason the episodes are presented in the order they are (and a reason those specific one off episodes were chosen) that goes beyond the mere desire for a big finish at the end

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

We can talk about it more once we watch the eps

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

A big reason to insist on broadcast order is that it forces even the dimmest people (myself included) to think hard about narrative structure, and how the order of events change the meaning not only of everything that follows but everything prior. This idea is baked into every level of the show, and it's tasty.

When I watched it a second and third time I tried making up my own episode orders to deliberately change the meaning of things we can't talk about yet, and sure enough it works well. Everything in Haruhi is in a state of ambiguity, and experiencing it chronologically, while fine, just isn't the most fun, or, as Haruhi would say, the most interesting way to do it.

It's a seriously modular show, and definitely by design, but I think they put a lot of thought into the broadcast order. I am convinced every episode matters and there is no filler. Orthodox Haruhism or nothing, imo

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 14, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
When the Funimation Blu-Rays finally come out they're going to be in chronological order (with maybe The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina first) and that will be ok.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I just wanted to let you all know, in advance, that every morning I wake up and open palm slam a vhs into the slot. its hare hare yukai and right then and there I start doing the moves alongside the main character, yuki nagato, and so on

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

The way they did it does allow for a climax at the end of the season, yes, but there's a reason the episodes are presented in the order they are (and a reason those specific one off episodes were chosen) that goes beyond the mere desire for a big finish at the end

I will probably do broadcast order, then, I'm interested by this and the proceeding comments about it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zas posted:

I just wanted to let you all know, in advance, that every morning I wake up and open palm slam a vhs into the slot. its hare hare yukai and right then and there I start doing the moves alongside the main character, yuki nagato, and so on

yuki is the main character in my nightmares

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

yuki is the main character in my nightmares

I envy you

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Saw this show mentioned somewhere, was on an anime-binge anyway, decided to catch up on that Haruhi thing everyone was going on about a few years ago. I was surprised how genuinely funny + charming this was. Endless Eight :stare:

And now that I'm finished I see there's a Simulwatch coming up :argh:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

In Training posted:

We shan't be speaking of that program.

I actually enjoyed The Disappearance of Yuki Nagato better than Haruhi, because it had less Haruhi, who I always found annoying. I watched Haruhi for the characters that weren't her. She was grating and annoying but the other characters made it worth it.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

CrazySalamander posted:

I actually enjoyed The Disappearance of Yuki Nagato better than Haruhi, because it had less Haruhi, who I always found annoying. I watched Haruhi for the characters that weren't her. She was grating and annoying but the other characters made it worth it.

This, but all the opposites

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

CrazySalamander posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CrazySalamander posted:

Dick Spacious, I'm gonna need Huge Yare Yare GIF, on the double.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Zas posted:

A big reason to insist on broadcast order is that it forces even the dimmest people (myself included) to think hard about narrative structure, and how the order of events change the meaning not only of everything that follows but everything prior. This idea is baked into every level of the show, and it's tasty.

When I watched it a second and third time I tried making up my own episode orders to deliberately change the meaning of things we can't talk about yet, and sure enough it works well. Everything in Haruhi is in a state of ambiguity, and experiencing it chronologically, while fine, just isn't the most fun, or, as Haruhi would say, the most interesting way to do it.

It's a seriously modular show, and definitely by design, but I think they put a lot of thought into the broadcast order. I am convinced every episode matters and there is no filler. Orthodox Haruhism or nothing, imo

:psyduck:

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

In Training posted:

Dick Spacious, I'm gonna need Huge Yare Yare GIF, on the double.

no big...... yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

CrazySalamander posted:

Boy... I liked Disappearance of YN alright, but, this sure is an opinion here, yes it is...

• Locked thread