Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Colonial Air Force posted:

I watched a video on the serv-o-matic thing, it's pretty cool.

As far as breaks, after I broke that piece on my little ship, I put it in the box and haven't gone back. I will. Eventually?

See that's the cool thing about wooden models. Break a part? Make another one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

See that's the cool thing about wooden models. Break a part? Make another one!

Or liberally coat it in wood glue if it's not a structual element and it's good as new.

Broke a bow brace in two on my longboat yesterday when trying to sand it into shape. Actually made fitting it in easier than before. Glue in both parts, brush some fast drying wood glue around the spot it broke, you'd never know it was ever broken to begin with. I love it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Greyhawk posted:

Or liberally coat it in wood glue if it's not a structual element and it's good as new.

Broke a bow brace in two on my longboat yesterday when trying to sand it into shape. Actually made fitting it in easier than before. Glue in both parts, brush some fast drying wood glue around the spot it broke, you'd never know it was ever broken to begin with. I love it.

12 months into the wooden modelling now, and I'm still learning this lesson because I'm a ham-fisted ape. Let the tool (sand paper, file, chisel, X-acto, etc.) do the work, don't use anything more than light pressure when sanding and shaping the wood. Brute force will only lead to heartache, broken parts, blood, or some combination of all of them.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Just tried to call Model Expo about my paints, got a recorded message saying their voicemail is full and was then disconnected. :tinfoil:

While browsing the Airfix kits, I found a rather strange looking beast among them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Just tried to call Model Expo about my paints, got a recorded message saying their voicemail is full and was then disconnected. :tinfoil:

While browsing the Airfix kits, I found a rather strange looking beast among them.

Just use their contact link on the site, they've responded pretty well to that. Also I've been getting little packages with 1-4 bottles of paint as they have been filling the back-ordered ones, so they are shipping paint. I think the one I got yesterday finally finished out my order.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So what would this thread recommend as material for modeling 1/72 scale trailer hitch testicles? Asking for a friend.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The Locator posted:

12 months into the wooden modelling now, and I'm still learning this lesson because I'm a ham-fisted ape. Let the tool (sand paper, file, chisel, X-acto, etc.) do the work, don't use anything more than light pressure when sanding and shaping the wood. Brute force will only lead to heartache, broken parts, blood, or some combination of all of them.

Yeah, double so with this kit, because it was stored away in someones basement for over 5 years before I got it.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Warmachine posted:

So what would this thread recommend as material for modeling 1/72 scale trailer hitch testicles? Asking for a friend.

Fimo/Sculpey polymer clay. Shape it, bake it, you're good.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Warmachine posted:

Greenstuff. Already looks kind of rubbery.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What you really want to do is take a cast of your own balls, then take the resulting cast and give it a reverse Shrinky-Dinkification treatment.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

The Locator posted:

Just use their contact link on the site, they've responded pretty well to that. Also I've been getting little packages with 1-4 bottles of paint as they have been filling the back-ordered ones, so they are shipping paint. I think the one I got yesterday finally finished out my order.

Same here. I ordered about 60 individual bottles of Model Air and received about 45 within a couple weeks, then the remainder of the backordered stuff showed up in two more shipments with the last one coming in two days ago. None of the paints had leaked or dried out, but several of the caps weren't tightened down very well. Also, they double billed me on one of the bottles and never sent my "free" file set. So, I'm out $1.50 and a set of files that I didn't need anyway and got a shitload of Model Air paint at half price so I'm happy.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

"What am I gonna do with craptank's lovely-rear end gun?"

Move the dash: lovely rear end-gun. :haw:

I had leftover tankmans from a Tamiya M13/40.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

These vinyl tracks are awful

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

I think in my entire time in this hobby, I have had vinyl tracks behave properly twice, on a Tamiya PzII and T-34, both from the 70s. Any other ones are either ridiculously tight (the ones on the IS-3 are tight enough to actually bend the side panel) or way too long and hang loosely, requiring a lot of fiddling to look right. I'd rather deal with plastic link-to-link tracks any day.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nebakenezzer posted:

New thread title?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

These vinyl tracks are making me thirsty!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

These vinyl tracks are so much warmer and easy to listen to than the digital versions.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

Same here. I ordered about 60 individual bottles of Model Air and received about 45 within a couple weeks, then the remainder of the backordered stuff showed up in two more shipments with the last one coming in two days ago. None of the paints had leaked or dried out, but several of the caps weren't tightened down very well. Also, they double billed me on one of the bottles and never sent my "free" file set. So, I'm out $1.50 and a set of files that I didn't need anyway and got a shitload of Model Air paint at half price so I'm happy.

The files are your typical cheap crappy ones, but they are tiny, so might have a use somewhere at some point.

I emailed them when they missed some paints (and double shipped others) on my initial order, and they replaced them immediately without any questions. I imagine they would fix your double billing as well.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

The Locator posted:

The files are your typical cheap crappy ones, but they are tiny, so might have a use somewhere at some point.

I emailed them when they missed some paints (and double shipped others) on my initial order, and they replaced them immediately without any questions. I imagine they would fix your double billing as well.

It's just $1.50 so not a big deal. I'm wondering how you emailed them, though. I didn't see a way to contact them directly other than calling them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

It's just $1.50 so not a big deal. I'm wondering how you emailed them, though. I didn't see a way to contact them directly other than calling them.

When they respond to a contact via the website, they send you an email, which is from a person, who you can reply to!

I've got about 4 different emails for them now after communicating with them on a couple of kit issues, and now the paints.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I finished assembling the Serv-o-matic. Pretty easy from an assembly standpoint, the parts are all cut perfectly, it's just a lot of time/work to sand off all the laser-char, because Cherry wood chars a lot, but it's very strong, and pretty!

Finished up the stand. The lighting in this picture makes the color kind of strange.

And put the new Serv-o-matic to work and served the first set of shrouds.

If you look close you can see that the entire length of the rope that's in the picture has been wrapped with another very small rope (#50 thread actually).

Here is a close-up of where the serving on the forward shroud ends, so you can see the difference between the original rope, and the served part. The aft shroud of this pair is fully served all the way down to the bottom.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

The Locator posted:

I finished assembling the Serv-o-matic. Pretty easy from an assembly standpoint, the parts are all cut perfectly, it's just a lot of time/work to sand off all the laser-char, because Cherry wood chars a lot, but it's very strong, and pretty!

Finished up the stand. The lighting in this picture makes the color kind of strange.

And put the new Serv-o-matic to work and served the first set of shrouds.

If you look close you can see that the entire length of the rope that's in the picture has been wrapped with another very small rope (#50 thread actually).

Here is a close-up of where the serving on the forward shroud ends, so you can see the difference between the original rope, and the served part. The aft shroud of this pair is fully served all the way down to the bottom.

That is a neat tool! I loaded a video of it in action because I was curious, and it was oddly satisfying to watch.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Milliput. Two component putty that hardens in about 3 hours, no need to bake. You can use it for all kinds of stuff. Sculpting tiny testicles, making molds/casts, fill big or tiny gaps.. hell even repair your plumbing or your car, i think it's great stuff.

http://www.milliput.com/

Molentik fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 14, 2015

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Locator posted:

Oh man, I'm glad I saw this. I was going to buy that russian one from the other forums that is, what, three times the price? This should do the trick quite nice.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Oh man, I'm glad I saw this. I was going to buy that russian one from the other forums that is, what, three times the price? This should do the trick quite nice.

I have the other one too, got it a long time ago. It has some advantages, like being motorized and a wider area for doing longer ropes without re-positioning. It also comes with different ends like clips and pins to hold blocks, and adjustable width.. Someone creative could probably come up with some ends to do that on Chuck's machine, but since it's not adjustable for width like the Domanov machine is, small blocks and stuff would be difficult to do on it I think.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

For those interested, here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0PyCi_vy7Y

E: The Russian one, video is much longer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaJ149UMuNY

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 14, 2015

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

New thread title?

Does it matter if the OP hasn't posted in over a year? And even longer in this thread?

e: Almost tripped over a large, heavy box on the way out the door this morning. Clearly my dead-end phone call to Model Expo had the desired effect.

TasogareNoKagi fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 14, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

TasogareNoKagi posted:

Does it matter if the OP hasn't posted in over a year? And even longer in this thread?

Considering admin have to change it anyway, probably not.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
There's an OP? :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
gently caress this kit. I have, for the first time ever, had a vinyl track decide to snap. Turns out it was so thick and crappy that it just glued back together no problem though. I was going to spend some time fancying up the details of this thing but... no, gently caress it, fill gaps and get 'er painted.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Loving all the craptanks, keep it up!

While waiting for mine I've been making some headway on the Pz IV, with the Tirpitz sitting in the background egging me on.

Not thrilled with the rust spots, but the weathering has brought it together ok. I'm aiming for a dirty just-driven-1500-miles-in-mud look and might try and put it in a diorama at some point. Just gotta finish the tracks, add some mud, then finish the schurzen...

And finish the crap tank when it arrives :cool:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sanguine posted:

Loving all the craptanks, keep it up!

While waiting for mine I've been making some headway on the Pz IV, with the Tirpitz sitting in the background egging me on.

Not thrilled with the rust spots, but the weathering has brought it together ok. I'm aiming for a dirty just-driven-1500-miles-in-mud look and might try and put it in a diorama at some point. Just gotta finish the tracks, add some mud, then finish the schurzen...

If you applied some more rust, this time with a sponge, feathered around those spots you've already applied, I think it would really help tie them in nicely.

When I'm doing rust, I use a combo of multiple methods. Hand-painted rust spots, and sponged on rust with different types of sponge. I use kitchen sponges, sea sponges, that type of sponge that electronics are packed in that has a really tight open-cell pattern, and even Scotchbrite pads.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

A while ago Bloody Hedgehog alerted the thread to some amazon sale involving $500 badger airbrushes going for $100. I picked one up, but only last night had a chance to play with it.

And holy poo poo, can you draw some thin spraylines once you figure out how to work it. My only question is about the needle, which I was more or less just moving by unlocking it. Is there some other way for the needle to be adjusted?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I don't know airbrush terminology but what do you mean by unlocking it? The one I got had a dial assembly on the back that limits how far you can move the needle back.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So there is a woman in the Czech Republic named Doris that makes the most magnificent ship models out of card (paper). She recently finished her newest, the Royal Caroline in 1/40 scale, and well.. words simply cannot describe the craftsmanship and beauty of this thing. Luckily she created a Youtube video that shows a bunch of the photo's. If you appreciate modeling of any kind at all, this thing is worth the 10 minutes of your life to watch. At the very least watch it through to see some of the interior and lighting details.

It's just.. wow.. If I ever get to the point where I can make a fraction of the stuff she has on this thing, I'll be loving stoked as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jshTzNJjy8

wtfbacon
Mar 26, 2015
Good God. :stare:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
We need an emote for *gathers modeling supplies in pile, burns pile, takes up gardening instead*

Also, any build logs? I'd love to see how this was made. (ed: me read video description gud :downs:)

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 15, 2015

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

The Locator posted:

So there is a woman in the Czech Republic named Doris that makes the most magnificent ship models out of card (paper). She recently finished her newest, the Royal Caroline in 1/40 scale, and well.. words simply cannot describe the craftsmanship and beauty of this thing. Luckily she created a Youtube video that shows a bunch of the photo's. If you appreciate modeling of any kind at all, this thing is worth the 10 minutes of your life to watch. At the very least watch it through to see some of the interior and lighting details.

It's just.. wow.. If I ever get to the point where I can make a fraction of the stuff she has on this thing, I'll be loving stoked as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jshTzNJjy8

Holy poo poo :aaaaa:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Well, I was going to post my fully painted craptank, but, uh, now I'm just gonna watch that video and drool on myself. Goddamn.

Edit: here's craptank anyway.

Also pictured, a hint at my secret for attaching those goddamn tracks. Jesus Christ they suck.

I have no intention of actually joining them properly.

Edit #3795: I really like the texture left from dabbing plastic cement on the surface, but I wish I hadn't used paper towel to apply it, like a dumbass. There are little fuzzies everywhere, embedded in the plastic. :saddowns:

Edit #3796: just realized I forgot the washes to dirty it up. Welp, back to the salt mines.

VVV It's the front half of the recoilless rifle from a Zaku mobile suit. :haw:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Edit: here's craptank anyway.

It's a Blunderbusstank!

Also, I remember my mom having a tomato pin-cushion just like that when I was a wee little boy over 40 years ago.