Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

NarDmw posted:

Did you find that to be a useful/good value upgrade that allowed you to game at 1080p?

I did -some- gaming with that machine, but it's only got a GTX580, and I have a 1440p monitor, so it's always older games and/or lower settings. I mainly use it as a Hackintosh and video encoding box.

However, the improvement over the 920 was immediately felt in pretty much everything - partly the overclock, but the extra two cores surely help in video encoding. I spent $100 for the chip and cooler, and I feel it was well worth it.

A Sandy Bridge K-chip is still probably faster in gaming, though, since you can easily get a much higher overclock and SB is faster in per-core performance.

I might use this setup to play with VM's when I build my next machine, the six cores would be perfect, just have to throw another 12gig of RAM in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
X99 is dead right after haswell-e. Skyline e will have a new chipset?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm in the same boat as a lot of you - i7 920 and itching for an upgrade after all these years. The 6700k is calling to me to build another system that I won't need to touch for 5+ years and can handle a decent amount of OCing. I'm looking at some of the other options like the previous gen chips and the Xeons, but something about upgrading makes you trend towards the current high-end because it feels right...or at least that's how I'm explain my desire to buy brand new poo poo.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm in the same boat as a lot of you - i7 920 and itching for an upgrade after all these years. The 6700k is calling to me to build another system that I won't need to touch for 5+ years and can handle a decent amount of OCing. I'm looking at some of the other options like the previous gen chips and the Xeons, but something about upgrading makes you trend towards the current high-end because it feels right...or at least that's how I'm explain my desire to buy brand new poo poo.

Yeah, about that, the 6700k does not OC very high, it has a boost clock of 4.2GHZ and seems to top out at around 4.6-4.7GHz on average going by review samples. If you luck out and get one able to run at 4.8GHz with high end cooling you will be getting a 13% OC for spending around $75-$100 more on cooling than you would if you just got a cheaper cooler and OCed it to 4.6GHz. It's worth OCing for a ~400MHz boost if you are planning on getting a Z170 board anyway instead of waiting for the H170 boards to come out but the ~200MHz gain for $75-$100 doesn't seem worth it to me. Plus if you wait for H170 boards you will probably end up spending 30%-50% less on the motherboard at the cost of a ~400MHz overclock.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, about that, the 6700k does not OC very high, it has a boost clock of 4.2GHZ and seems to top out at around 4.6-4.7GHz on average going by review samples. If you luck out and get one able to run at 4.8GHz with high end cooling you will be getting a 13% OC for spending around $75-$100 more on cooling than you would if you just got a cheaper cooler and OCed it to 4.6GHz. It's worth OCing for a ~400MHz boost if you are planning on getting a Z170 board anyway instead of waiting for the H170 boards to come out but the ~200MHz gain for $75-$100 doesn't seem worth it to me. Plus if you wait for H170 boards you will probably end up spending 30%-50% less on the motherboard at the cost of a ~400MHz overclock.

Or de-lid and run 5 ghz :v:
What's a little razor blade action between friends?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Gwaihir posted:

Or de-lid and run 5 ghz :v:
What's a little razor blade action between friends?

Clamping is generally safer if you want to do that.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I've always wanted a 6core but the extreme cpu's are too expensive. A complete upgrade from i7 920 is also too expensive since I'm just a hobbyist. X5670 Xeons look like a good deal, I'll buy one and see how it OC's. I don't really need all that fancy new motherboard stuff.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Twerk from Home posted:

What's driving your upgrade, do you need more CPU power and have a highly threaded workload? If so, you want a 5820K and X99. Do you want a more modern chipset, onboard stuff, and peripherals? Either H97 or Skylake should meet your needs unless you are imminently expecting to buy a PCI-E SSD, in which case you want Skylake.

It's part gaming (dota and CS are fine on my current setup, but newer games are a bit of a push), part newer platform (SATA3 and USB3 would be lovely).

I can wait a bit, but it just means I'll hold off on upgrading to Windows 10 for a few motnhs until Skylake settles down and (hopefully) drives the 2nd hand Haswell chips down.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Nam Taf posted:

It's part gaming (dota and CS are fine on my current setup, but newer games are a bit of a push), part newer platform (SATA3 and USB3 would be lovely).

I can wait a bit, but it just means I'll hold off on upgrading to Windows 10 for a few motnhs until Skylake settles down and (hopefully) drives the 2nd hand Haswell chips down.

USB 3.1 is twice as fast as 3.0 and is even faster than SATA3. I think my next upgrade would be 6790K if that ever exists.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Ak Gara posted:

USB 3.1 is twice as fast as 3.0 and is even faster than SATA3. I think my next upgrade would be 6790K if that ever exists.

Kaby Lake

Nam Taf posted:

As soon as sales slow down for a chip Intel stops producing them so don't count on that happening

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

I'm barely resisting getting gouged $200 buying the 6700K overseas, I have every other piece of the PC staring at me ready to be built, why must you do this to me Intel :(

14th seems to be the day 6600K's are getting mass released, but I haven't seen any sites saying the same about the 6700. :negative:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Any news for mobile Skylake?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Any news for mobile Skylake?
How mobile? Just saw this earlier today:
http://www.fanlesstech.com/2015/08/exclusive-skylake-u-lineup.html

One slide shows the 28W parts coming Q1/16, and I guess the lower power stuff is implied to be late this year? On the higher end (35-45W according to some other slide I saw on Twitter) there was the mobile Xeon announcement followed up by a Lenovo one, I think for late this year.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There no availability or Vendors announcing new Skylake Laptops.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Tab8715 posted:

There no availability or Vendors announcing new Skylake Laptops.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/10/lenovo-thinkpad-p50-and-p70/

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Are there any benchmarks comparing game performance between 6600K and 6700K? I know at high resolutions the average fps difference is negligible, but I'm curious if minimum fps is affected.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

So is this replacing the w series?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

dud root posted:

Are there any benchmarks comparing game performance between 6600K and 6700K? I know at high resolutions the average fps difference is negligible, but I'm curious if minimum fps is affected.

If you're after the highest minimum FPS, you should be looking for an i7-5775c: http://techreport.com/review/28751/intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake-processor-reviewed/14

In general, hyperthread and the additional cache in the i7s does improve minimum framerates.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Chuu posted:

So is this replacing the w series?

I'd wager they keep the W series using normal i7-67xxQM chips and starting at lower base specs all around (No IPS screens) while these P series machines will be the top of the line.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Twerk from Home posted:

If you're after the highest minimum FPS, you should be looking for an i7-5775c: http://techreport.com/review/28751/intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake-processor-reviewed/14

Or take the hundreds of dollars you'd save not buying Skylake or a $500 5775c and buy a better/second GPU.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

dud root posted:

Here is the i7 6700K and i5 6600K compared at both stock clocks and overlocked to 4.6 and 4.5 GHz comparatively.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhaB1dqYv_I

They're pretty close at stock and near even overclocked but you do see significant improvements for the 6700 over 6600 in GTA 5 and Crysis 3, for example.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 12, 2015

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Newegg has the 6600K's in stock for $249.

Still no date set for the 6700's :negative:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Eurogamer posted:

As it is, our CPU sample topped out at 4.5GHz - anything higher and one of the cores wouldn't operate correctly, even when we moved voltage into the 1.4v territory (not something we'd recommend generally - our Skylake sample got very hot at this level). Sticking to 4.5GHz and 1.375v...

Not only Skylake is barely overclockable, it's taking some insane voltages to get there.

...So who is still interested in OCing this chip? Not me.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Palladium posted:

Not only Skylake is barely overclockable, it's taking some insane voltages to get there.

...So who is still interested in OCing this chip? Not me.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Photos-and-Tests-Skylake-Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Delidded

Those guys hit 4.6Ghz @ 1.35v after delidding. But the original source is japanese so the exact details are unclear.

edit: source if anyone wants to see more of the pics or translate it: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/sebuncha/20150806_715335.html

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lowen SoDium posted:

http://www.pcper.com/news/Processors/Photos-and-Tests-Skylake-Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Delidded

Those guys hit 4.6Ghz @ 1.35v after delidding. But the original source is japanese so the exact details are unclear.

edit: source if anyone wants to see more of the pics or translate it: http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/sebuncha/20150806_715335.html

Yeah after playing chip lottery, buying a $340+ CPU, delidding and voiding warranty of said CPU with heavy risk of outright failure, added cost of a Z170 board and high-end cooler. Just for that 12.5% OC.

Laughably unimpressive and lunacy much?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Palladium posted:

Yeah after playing chip lottery, buying a $340+ CPU, delidding and voiding warranty of said CPU with heavy risk of outright failure, added cost of a Z170 board and high-end cooler. Just for that 12.5% OC.

The non-K parts look to be very similar speed with a 30W lower TDP, that's what I'm interested in. Also cheaper H170 boards.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Haswell i7-4790k boost and total speed including IPC is higher than skylake boost :laffo:

At least Xeon will run cold :shepface:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Palladium posted:

Honestly, I don't see a whole lot of reason to OC most chips nowadays. We are so far past the plateau of performance returns, a 25% increase would be barely noticeable in anything but the most extreme use case scenarios.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Haswell i7-4790k boost and total speed including IPC is higher than skylake boost :laffo:

At least Xeon will run cold :shepface:

It's kinda funny that a top-end $340 chip is one of the best-for-the-buck CPU in the entire Haswell lineup for over a year.

I really do think people are strangely irrational when it comes to CPU purchases. Back then when Q6600 SLACRs can be had for $199 and easily OCed to 3.6GHz, some still went for equally expensive 45nm dualcores for gaming just because they can hit 4GHz. As if what single or dual-threaded game a 3.6GHz Q6600 can't play well at back in 2008?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Lowen SoDium posted:

Honestly, I don't see a whole lot of reason to OC most chips nowadays. We are so far past the plateau of performance returns, a 25% increase would be barely noticeable in anything but the most extreme use case scenarios.
I am still running a 2500K and a Z-board and overclocked it for a while when I first got it but haven't for the last 2+ years. I never really noticed a difference in anything I played. I'm sure if I ran the benchmarks there would be drop but if I'm not getting any stutter :shrug:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Stupid questions: If 2500k is 32nm and the new chips are 14nm why can't we have something like 2 2500k's under the IHS?

What is it about the 2500k architecture that makes it overclockable by 50%?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ak Gara posted:

Stupid questions: If 2500k is 32nm and the new chips are 14nm why can't we have something like 2 2500k's under the IHS?

What is it about the 2500k architecture that makes it overclockable by 50%?

1. Scaling down transistor geometries isn't fully linear.
2. Less to do with technical limitations and more to do with economics. Hint: If you are Intel you definitely not want to give double the cores from quads in a time where everyone is already drowning in CPU power.
3. That 32nm process just love voltages and the thermal compound under the heatspreader is the much better metal solder.
4. 50% is an exaggeration, more like 30%.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

5. Power efficiency is more valuable than single core performance.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Palladium posted:

1. Scaling down transistor geometries isn't fully linear.
2. Less to do with technical limitations and more to do with economics. Hint: If you are Intel you definitely not want to give double the cores from quads in a time where everyone is already drowning in CPU power.
3. That 32nm process just love voltages and the thermal compound under the heatspreader is the much better metal solder.
4. 50% is an exaggeration, more like 30%.

Ehhh, 50%/5GHz was rare but some people got them that high on high end air cooling, 40%/4.6GHz was pretty average, 30%/4.2GHz was what you got on a bum chip.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Boiled Water posted:

5. Power efficiency is more valuable than single core performance.

If 3dMark started giving score/W, enthusiasts might finally accept this as the current biggest driver of chip development but until that happens you're just going to have to keep listening to people complain about the gigahertz.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Crazy rear end new intel HS/F

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Don Lapre posted:

Crazy rear end new intel HS/F

I guess that's why they weren't included with the 6700 and 6600s, haha.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:stare:
I am curious to see how good of a job they do.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
That's really not much taller (excluding the diameter) than the old socket 775 models, before they switched to those tiny disc versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ehhh, 50%/5GHz was rare but some people got them that high on high end air cooling, 40%/4.6GHz was pretty average, 30%/4.2GHz was what you got on a bum chip.
TIL I got between a "bum" and a "pretty average" SB chip :( 4.4 was as far as mine would go, admittedly with sub-par overclocking skills.