Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumis
Jan 10, 2006

I'm either a friend or a foe. Depends on who's looking.

Steve112sms posted:

Or of course the fact that whenever Elliot is around, no one ever interacts with Mr. Robot, but instead with Elliot. His own daughter just constantly ignores him?

Didn't Darlene interact with him directly with Elliot in the room while she was freaking out about the Dark Army pulling out of the plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Steve112sms posted:

You all seem weirdly confident in the faked death idea. As far as I can tell, the only evidence for it is, "Christian Slater has slightly less grey hair in some of the pictures." Hell, there's grey hair in his beard in this picture right here:

Take Tyrell's interaction with Mr. Robot earlier in the episode. They clearly know one another, but up to this point there's been no indication they should know each other. In fact, in an earlier episode the others in F Society were shocked when they heard Elliot knew him. I guess it's possible Mr. Robot had some secret side deal with him and revealed some other secret to him, but it makes a lot more sense if that was just Elliot and the secret is that Tyrell knows his motivation for pinning Colby was petty revenge. Also, when Tyrell talks about it with his wife later, he basically only mentions Elliot and again the revenge angle and makes no mention of Mr. Robot.

Who do you think provided fsociety with the IP address to put into the file?

As far as the rest I think he and Mr Robot happened to have mutual interests. Mr Robot wanted to hurt E-corp (for whatever reason) and Tyrell wanted to create a vacancy in the CTO position. So Tyrell provides the IP address and Fsociety creates a vacancy for him to fill. I suspect he was not aware of the larger plan (to wipe out all the data and destroy Ecorp) but who knows maybe he's playing his own Trojan horse game.

This show has certainly had it's share of "holy gently caress" moments.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

You won't even just finish out the season? There's only two more episodes.

I thought that post was sarcasm, but, then again, this is TVIV, where no autism is too extreme

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure it was a joke / sarcastic post, as someone from the thread posted basically the same thing, but from even earlier on in the season.

:edit:

DivisionPost posted:

I gotta admit, this was a really good episode. But unless this show can prove by next week that Sam Esmail has a truly satisfying ending in mind and it'll never spin its wheels on the way to that ending then I'm gonna have to drop it

That was from a goon earlier in the thread, like three weeks ago.

Skull Knight fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 13, 2015

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Guys I'll stick with the show for about 5 years until the 2nd to last ep ever, but if I'm not convinced by then, no way am I watching the series finale. Just not worth my time.

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

Lumis posted:

Didn't Darlene interact with him directly with Elliot in the room while she was freaking out about the Dark Army pulling out of the plan?

I don't remember, but there was one scene where Darlene talked to Mr. Robot, but Elliot was angled literally right behind him. So she was also facing him. Was that the same scene?

Skex posted:

Who do you think provided fsociety with the IP address to put into the file?

As far as the rest I think he and Mr Robot happened to have mutual interests. Mr Robot wanted to hurt E-corp (for whatever reason) and Tyrell wanted to create a vacancy in the CTO position. So Tyrell provides the IP address and Fsociety creates a vacancy for him to fill. I suspect he was not aware of the larger plan (to wipe out all the data and destroy Ecorp) but who knows maybe he's playing his own Trojan horse game.

This show has certainly had it's share of "holy gently caress" moments.

They're hackers who can infiltrate the system and also dig up all kinds of information of people and also Elliot works for Allsafe, which protects Evilcorp and probably has access to that sort of information anyway. If they needed Tyrell for that, why was everyone surprised Elliot knew him a few episodes later? Why did Tyrell look at Elliot suspiciously back in the first episode when he handed over the file with Colby's IP in it? Why did Tyrell give that speech to Elliot about figuring out that he framed Colby? And why in that speech did he say he had no proof if he's the one that supposedly provided the IP in the first place? None of that really adds up.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Inspector 34 posted:

Not to nitpick, but the Biffco stuff happened in alternate 1985. In 2015 Biff was getting punked by his grandson and made to wax his car. Pretty sure your point still stands though, doubt they chose that particular movie for no reason whatsoever.
That was the 1st act of the movie only, not at all representative of its thematic conflict

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Hooooly poo poo just got to the scene where Darlene is his sister I did not see that coming at all. Oh man that ending. How can you not like this show my specualation now ? It's his mom , Mr Robot is his dad and Elliots mom was killed by Evil Corp.

Also, Elliot is unreliable so he may just be replacing the word Mom with Dad in his head. So yeah we're basically seeing things from a schizophrenics view. I mean we don't even know if some of the conversations he's had with people are real , he could just make them up.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 14, 2015

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
So is the name and identity of "Elliot" the real deal and he erased all traces of it from the net & public records, or is it another persona/alias that the main character invented for himself? I'm pretty sure there was a line along the lines of "Have I erased myself?" when he was checking up on himself, but I don't even know anymore with this show(in a good mindfucky way)

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Maybe he changed his name. Earlier on he couldnt find out anything about the guy his therapist was dating

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Holy poo poo, that episode. By far the best since the first.

I'm glad that the story is no longer just an ethereal porridge of plot threads, but I've got to agree with the sentiment that things had better start making sense. Even if it's just a little at a time, they need to start piecing things together. If they're relying on some 11th hour deus ex machina to explain everything to us it will be a total disaster.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
It's possible he erased himself from all public databases and left only the very bare-bones government registries intact. Social security and such. That would let him have a job while giving him zero internet footprint.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
He could have taken his mothers name.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Don't forget his weird "replace words" thing that he has, which is a real symptom pretty sure.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Don't forget he's not JUST replacing the words "mom" and "dad" when he's has multiple flashbacks to his mother treating him like poo poo. Forgetting your sister, sure. Forgetting your dad, sure. Dad being a ghost dad, sure. Thinking ECorp is actually EvilCorp, sure. But literally thinking the things that happened to your mom actually happened to your dad? Not getting the GENDER right? That's hosed up.

BTW unsure if anyone else here thought it but for a moment when Darlene was asking if Elliot knew who she was, I thought she was going to turn out to be Angela, so when it cut back and forth I kept expecting Angela's actress to be in the shot of her instead.

Waynebo posted:

They flashed Sam Esmail's face too so uhh

Edit: I went back and checked. At no point is Sam Esmail one of the faces that Elliot sees in the mirror. Just FYI. He sees Tyrell, Darlene, Angela, Mr. Robot, fsociety mask, and himself. So unless it's Sam Esmail in the mask, nope.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 14, 2015

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

What a great episode. I was pretty convinced Mr. Robot is/was Elliot a la Fight Club, but after this episode, I think he might be his real father.

What I found most interesting was when after they kissed, Darlene said, "Did you forget again?" Meaning, she thought Elliot knew she was his sister at the time, and he's forgotten about her more than once. She sounded really disappointed that he forgot. Either that memory loss is from doing too much drugs, or... maybe Elliot suffers from some sort of trauma-induced amnesia, and fsociety is a support group for Elliot.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It'll probably come out that he's been in fsociety for like 5 years.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012

Eastwood posted:

What a great episode. I was pretty convinced Mr. Robot is/was Elliot a la Fight Club, but after this episode, I think he might be his real father.

What I found most interesting was when after they kissed, Darlene said, "Did you forget again?" Meaning, she thought Elliot knew she was his sister at the time, and he's forgotten about her more than once. She sounded really disappointed that he forgot. Either that memory loss is from doing too much drugs, or... maybe Elliot suffers from some sort of trauma-induced amnesia, and fsociety is a support group for Elliot.

We mistook this Star Wars for Fight Club, but actually it's Shutter Island.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DaveKap posted:

Edit: I went back and checked. At no point is Sam Esmail one of the faces that Elliot sees in the mirror. Just FYI. He sees Tyrell, Darlene, Angela, Mr. Robot, fsociety mask, and himself. So unless it's Sam Esmail in the mask, nope.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

VDay posted:

Right, but like I said at some point he would have to actually, you know, pretend to die. How do you fake dying from being sick from cancer without actually dying or having your loved ones see your not-dead body? Even in the realm of TV show super hacking that seems just a little bit out there.

Not supporting any one theory or another, but he could have faked his suicide by some method where the body might not be recovered.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Made some GIFs!

Remember, kids! Use strong passwords!

Tyrell is so drat creepy.

"Out damned spot" indeed.

Bad day at the office.

:stonk:

Since the audience is technically a character, is this still breaking the 4th wall?

"I am---actually I have no drat clue anymore."

Even though the Mr.Robot/Elliot's dad connection was called a while ago, the reveal was still fantastic.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Goddammit they look so loving similar. Welp.

Pulp Can Move posted:

We mistook this Star Wars for Fight Club, but actually it's Shutter Island.
Are you sure it's not Memento?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 14, 2015

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

DaveKap posted:

BTW unsure if anyone else here thought it but for a moment when Darlene was asking if Elliot knew who she was, I thought she was going to turn out to be Angela, so when it cut back and forth I kept expecting Angela's actress to be in the shot of her instead.
I was expecting exactly this to happen.

The actual twist was more surprising but also makes more sense on retrospection than that would have.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

PunkBoy posted:

Since the audience is technically a character, is this still breaking the 4th wall?

You can't break the 4th wall on reality TV, that's not how it works.

:v:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

GunnerJ posted:

Not supporting any one theory or another, but he could have faked his suicide by some method where the body might not be recovered.

Hmm yeah fair enough, I guess we don't know much about how his dad died apart from it being EvilCorp's fault so they have plenty of outs. Still, I think it'll be kind of weird if next episode starts with Robot and Elliot's conversation and he just straight up admits that he faked his death. Would be kind of a weirdly literal answer to the whole Mr. Robot mystery that the show's spent most of the season teasing/setting up. Granted, after that last episode I fully trust them to handle it well so either way I can't loving wait for next week.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

VDay posted:

Hmm yeah fair enough, I guess we don't know much about how his dad died apart from it being EvilCorp's fault so they have plenty of outs. Still, I think it'll be kind of weird if next episode starts with Robot and Elliot's conversation and he just straight up admits that he faked his death. Would be kind of a weirdly literal answer to the whole Mr. Robot mystery that the show's spent most of the season teasing/setting up. Granted, after that last episode I fully trust them to handle it well so either way I can't loving wait for next week.

We know he had some cancer or disease as a result of the toxic stuff, so it's not like he could have faked being healthy and probably would have died a long time ago.

I'm betting on Elliot's memory being hosed, since that seems to be the theme.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 14, 2015

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Why is everyone so quick to jump to Mr. Robot faking his death? I don't see why these new revelations discredit the theory that Elliot is Mr. Robot. At some point Elliot's mind could have created Mr. Robot as a split personality and used his memory of his father as a template.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

This show is another take on the movie Paycheck. Essentially Elliot has his mind wiped after every major attack he's involved in but leaves clues for himself after the fact.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Again this show is incredible so far. I thought the white rose scene was the weakest thing so far, but the reveal by far made up for it. I honestly don't know what to think at this point. I think ANY scene with Eliot can't be taken at face value anymore.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

This was probably the craziest part of the whole episode! Are we supposed to believe that his wife aborted their child with a meat skewer just to get him away from the cops?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

adrenaline_junket posted:

This was probably the craziest part of the whole episode! Are we supposed to believe that his wife aborted their child with a meat skewer just to get him away from the cops?

I just assumed she stabbed herself but that certainly seems like a valid take as well in hindsight. :stare:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
IDK a ton about this, but isn't forcing someone's water to break something you'd traditionally do to induce labor?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

She didn't abort the child, she was due to give birth soon and so broke her own water to induce the birth earlier to save him from being questioned.

Doctors and midwives do it all the time for a variety of reasons.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!
You're probably right with it being a puncturing of the amniotic sac, but there seemed a little too much blood on the implement for me to think of that... Just seemed so WTF when I watched it!

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

You're probably right with it being a puncturing of the amniotic sac, but there seemed a little too much blood on the implement for me to think of that... Just seemed so WTF when I watched it!

I thought the same thing but then (preview spoiler) it shows a newborn at the hospital

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Steve112sms posted:

I don't remember, but there was one scene where Darlene talked to Mr. Robot, but Elliot was angled literally right behind him. So she was also facing him. Was that the same scene?

At the end of episode five, when the Dark Army pulls out after they rig the climate control system, Darlene wants to trigger the system anyway, and she has a fight with Mr. Robot where he throws poo poo several times and she threatens to trigger the hack if he takes a step towards her. He stalks off, then Elliot walks over to her and all of a sudden she's quiet and sad and begging him for permission to trigger the system. It certainly fits the model we were all watching for at the time -- Mr. Robot only interacting with people when Elliot was passive and vice versa -- but the conversation would be super weird if it was one guy instead of two. (And it makes a lot more sense with her being in gently caress you dad mode with Mr. Robot and then trying to get her brother on her side.)

EDIT: Rewatching this episode, when Darlene tries to give Elliot the gun, he's standing in front of an arcade machine titled "Intergalactic Planetary." I love this show so much.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 14, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wonder why Slater is only wearing the Mr. Robot jacket in the pictures with (presumably) Elliot. Not all of the pictures, just these two:

Different shirts between those two. Calendar on the wall I can't make out either - October something, and there are later pictures as well with Halloween decorations.

And maybe this one with the soldering iron, which appears to be taken in the same room with the same shirt:

None of the ones that are presumably in later years, with the cat grown up and 2005-ish Caravan.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Aug 14, 2015

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kegslayer posted:

She didn't abort the child, she was due to give birth soon and so broke her own water to induce the birth earlier to save him from being questioned.

Doctors and midwives do it all the time for a variety of reasons.

I didn't realize she had carried the baby close to term.

EDIT: I figured with the whole "out drat spot" scene before she was aborting her pregnancy.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 14, 2015

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

She said "you will not leave us" clearly meaning her and the baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So I can see a few possibilities/explanations on both the 'Mr. Robot is real' and 'Mr. Robot is Elliot' sides of the table. There are a lot of places the show could go with it, but either way, I'm psyched about this reveal because it means that Elliot is a LOT sicker in the head than we realized, and there are plenty of interesting things to mine from that mountain.

• Locked thread