Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Know what you're doing and know your limits, have a good plan and make sure people know about it and know that if you don't come out on a certain date they should contact S&R and be able to tell them where you were, know what to do in an emergency and be prepared for it, and carry a PLB if you want more backup. You're probably going to get hit by a car and die on your way to your hiking spot rather than die on the trail unless you're careless or very unlucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Sometimes hikers die alone. Sometimes they die while in the company of others. My close call was witnessed by my husband. Lucky for him he only saw me get badly injured.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Picnic Princess posted:

Sometimes hikers die alone. Sometimes they die while in the company of others. My close call was witnessed by my husband. Lucky for him he only saw me get badly injured.

What happened?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I'm finally roping some of my coworkers into my hikes. Of course I'm being kind of boring and only doing mountains in a select few ranges, but who gives a poo poo?

The road to the top was marked with fresh water supplies

We just had to climb up that

It had snowed the night before and my buddy wanted a picture near some of the fresh snow that stuck to the old snow.

The route up follows that black rock dike. I kept trying to tell him it wasn't that bad

See? Just walk right up!

Well he almost bails but after starting and stopping he just yolos it and hits the summit. Got a good view of the neighboring basin

And a shot of Hyndman Peak with a bonus shot of Kane Peak and a double bonus shot of Devil's Bedstead East.

Wildhorse valley

Pictures don't really do this justice but Big Basin is an awesome area to go exploring. We stumbled across three mule deer bucks and had one goat sighting.

Who needs bear spray when you've got a gun that fires only the finest Idaho granite?

7 miles and 4700 feet of climbing one way. Also ran into a herd of sheep and we were accosted by the Great Pyrenees that were guarding them.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

Levitate posted:

Know what you're doing and know your limits, have a good plan and make sure people know about it and know that if you don't come out on a certain date they should contact S&R and be able to tell them where you were, know what to do in an emergency and be prepared for it, and carry a PLB if you want more backup. You're probably going to get hit by a car and die on your way to your hiking spot rather than die on the trail unless you're careless or very unlucky

That's what I figured, too.. It's just that every now and then you come across people saying it's a very bad idea in general, and I just wanted to make sure my feeling on this was right. I am aware that there is a higher risk compared to doing it in a group, but that's alright. At home it wouldn't be as much of a problem, but I'm traveling alone (getting some visitors, but not possible to do that for the whole 3 months) and don't know so many people here. Actually might have a group hike lined up for late August, but even then hiking alone is actually a really great experience in my opinion. Thanks guys!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

n8r posted:

What happened?

This

Picnic Princess posted:

I lost my footing on the top of a 500 foot vertical cliff, landed on an 8 foot wide ledge 15 feet down. Heli-slung to an ambulance and ended up in hospital. I didn't break anything but I was so banged up I was in bed for 4 days. Lost a lot of skin too and I have a bunch of scars now. Almost dying so easily freaked me the gently caress out and I vowed while waiting for rescue to give it up completely. A few days later I couldn't wait to get back up at it again. It took 5 weeks to get going again. I realized just how much I loved being out in the mountains by thinking I'd never go again. I even changed my degree from biology to ecotourism and outdoor leadership to become a hiking guide or something like that.

In current news, I'm hoping to secure some space in the Skoki area of Banff National Park. Lots of alpine exploration, and numerous easy summits from the base camps available. If not I have another plan. Whatever happens, I'm going out for at least 5 days next week and am super pumped for it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I'm planning on climbing the South Sister (http://www.everytrail.com/guide/south-sister-summit) the first week of September.

How does this sound for gear:
Trail Runners
Wool Socks
Underarmor briefs
Polyester Soccer Warmups?
Underarmor shirt
Lightweight down jacket
Soft Shell Jacket
Tiny little day pack
A couple canteens and a couple foldable water bottles
Some food
DIY Gaiters?
Hiking Poles
Hat
Gloves
Emergency Kit

I would rather not spend $50 on nylon hiking pants, am I going to be alright in soccer warmups? Same with gaiters considering I'm not going to hiking over scree again anytime soon. Any have any experience just using duct tape and a rag when you have to go over scree?

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I'm planning on climbing the South Sister (http://www.everytrail.com/guide/south-sister-summit) the first week of September.

How does this sound for gear:
Trail Runners
Wool Socks
Underarmor briefs
Polyester Soccer Warmups?
Underarmor shirt
Lightweight down jacket
Soft Shell Jacket
Tiny little day pack
A couple canteens and a couple foldable water bottles
Some food
DIY Gaiters?
Hiking Poles
Hat
Gloves
Emergency Kit

I would rather not spend $50 on nylon hiking pants, am I going to be alright in soccer warmups? Same with gaiters considering I'm not going to hiking over scree again anytime soon. Any have any experience just using duct tape and a rag when you have to go over scree?

I've done that mountain before. You're fine with soccer pants. I would lose the lightweight down jacket and instead carry a couple extra synthetic shirts to use for layering. When I've needed to improvise on scree fields I'll fold the top of the sock down over the opening of my boots. But as I recall you'll be dealing with finely ground rock and that stuff will get everywhere. I had it in my shoes for months.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
Are REI Garage Sales worth going to? I'm starting to build my set of gear for backpacking and didn't know if there are usually a lot of good deals or if it is completely random based on store. I'm not a member there either.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Have to be a member so you'd have to pay $20 to get in...

There can be some good deals for sure but it completely depends on what they have. It's mostly returned stuff so it's gonna depend on what return stock they have.

Worth taking a look and you gotta get in right when they open or good stuff will get taken

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

dms666 posted:

Are REI Garage Sales worth going to? I'm starting to build my set of gear for backpacking and didn't know if there are usually a lot of good deals or if it is completely random based on store. I'm not a member there either.

They're amazing and an REI membership is stupid cheap. If you buy $200 worth of "normally priced" stuff you will get your $20 back in credit.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Internet Explorer posted:

They're amazing and an REI membership is stupid cheap. If you buy $200 worth of "normally priced" stuff you will get your $20 back in credit.

But dont do that. Just use the 25% off coupon they send to members at least once a quarter.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Look Sir Droids posted:

But dont do that. Just use the 25% off coupon they send to members at least once a quarter.

Yeah, my point was even if you're the least-efficient at using their sales (garage sales and clearance stuff doesn't quality either), you'll get your $20 fairly quickly.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

dms666 posted:

I camped out overnight back in January with a few friends. Read up on it because every REI does it a little differently. With my local shop, the first 40 people get to go in at once, then everyone else lines up and when one person comes out, the next person can go in. Other places just open the flood gates. The good stuff goes fast. I didn't find anything I was looking for, but I did end up buying a $300 cooler for $100 that looked to never have been used. I thought about it for a while, then sold it on Craigslist for $200 a month later.

If you like the thrill of Black Friday, you may dig this as well.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Any absolute must-haves to bring for foot health other than great footwear? Wool socks? Foot powder?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

terre packet posted:

Any absolute must-haves to bring for foot health other than great footwear? Wool socks? Foot powder?

Bingo, good socks are half the issue most people have. Everyone is different, but I've never had a blister with thin nylon liner socks (I just use dress socks) and nice thick wool outer socks. Some people don't like it, so ymmv. I've never needed foot powder, but I'm sure it helps. Moleskin pads are apparently great for blisters, but I've never tried them because the only ones I've ever had were when I first jumped into the hobby without knowing any better, with crappy boots and cotton socks.

It's all about keeping your feet dry and happy. For a lot of people (me in particular) they stew and perspire something awful in waterproof boots (eg goretex), but leather boots are great balance of keeping dry and regulating temperature. A ton of people love trail runners, but they've never worked for me or any of my hiking buddies because they never dry out where we hike. I'm sure they're fantastic on the West coast, but not so much in the foothills of Appalachia.

Everyone is different, just try a bunch of different things and see what works for you and what doesn't

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I personally prefer leukotape over moleskin. It seems to stick better for me for whatever reason. Bringing either one is a good idea though, for sure. Much better than bandaids.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Welp, my gig this weekend got canceled so I am going camping. I think I am gonna shoot for 4 days/ 3 nights and do more of the C&O canal trail. Sadly, the further I try to go the harder it gets to convince someone to come pick me up at the end so I might end up with a very leisurely pace.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

terre packet posted:

As mentioned good socks. I personally like wearing sock liners too but that seems to be a personal preference for people. I think they help prevent blisters and keep your socks slightly less stinky. I also swear by bag balm. I rub some all over my toes and the balls of my feet before I go to bed at night.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Saint Fu posted:

I personally prefer leukotape over moleskin. It seems to stick better for me for whatever reason. Bringing either one is a good idea though, for sure. Much better than bandaids.

+1 for this. Sticks very well and gave me no problems when I got a heel blister

Had to order it from Amazon

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Also look into nonstandard boot lacings. Most people never consider doing it differently than the usual, but it can allow you to really customize your fit. Things like loosening up the lower section if you have high arches, while also locking your heel tightly back in the heel pocket to prevent blisters, and still leaving the ankle a bit loose for circulation.

There's a bunch of videos on YouTube, this one changed my life: https://youtu.be/SOE28brAcEc

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I'm going to the High Uintas next week, about 6 days. The plan is a loop starting from Hayden Pass, east to Head of Rock Creek Trail, down the Lake Fork River, Cleveland Pass, through Squaw Basin, up Rock Creek or Fish Creek, and back to Mirror Lake. I wanted to do a long west-east hike, but the long drive from SLC to the east trailheads is a bit much for my transport partner.

Anyone been around there and have info to share?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I'm going somewhere new next week myself, a region in Banff National Park called Skoki. Almost entirely alpine, with some really easy summits. Lots of big glaciated peaks viewable in the area too. I am so excited!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Here is what I am thinking of doing:

It should be a nice easy pace that will allow for a good amount of fishing. Trying to get my bag at 30lbs or under is proving to be tough, mostly because of food and water. I wanna trust my filter and just bring 2 liters in my camelback for sipping while walking but right now I have two more liters in bottles that I would love to drop. Foodwise, I will not really have a chance to restock without walking 4-5 miles off trail to a store so I am trying to bring everything I need. I am still unsure who exactly is picking me up so I want to have enough to last through Saturday night incase I need to spend another night out. I will be close to Harpers Ferry WV at the end but I would rather not go into town if I can help it.

This will be my first multi day trip and really still one of my first camping outings in general so I am pretty excited.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

Wuntvor posted:

Anyway, I am not in Bosnia and looking to do some more hiking, and I think the routes should be a lot less frequented so I'm still not 100% sure if I should do it alone.

I have only done day hikes in Bosnia, but:

1) Mine tape is serious business. (If you don't know what this means, don't even think about hiking in Bosnia or eastern Croatia without a guide)
2) if they're still in business, try greenvisions for group hikes, guides, advice.
3) if in Sarajevo, do Skakavac/Nahorevo

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Levitate posted:

Have to be a member so you'd have to pay $20 to get in...

There can be some good deals for sure but it completely depends on what they have. It's mostly returned stuff so it's gonna depend on what return stock they have.

Worth taking a look and you gotta get in right when they open or good stuff will get taken

The description on the REI page for my location said you could browse but just needed to be an REI member to purchase, might just get a membership in advance though, I'm sure I'll use it.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

dms666 posted:

The description on the REI page for my location said you could browse but just needed to be an REI member to purchase, might just get a membership in advance though, I'm sure I'll use it.

I'm pretty confident that were you to walk up to the counter without a membership, they would sell you one on the spot.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

TerminalSaint posted:

Also look into nonstandard boot lacings. Most people never consider doing it differently than the usual, but it can allow you to really customize your fit. Things like loosening up the lower section if you have high arches, while also locking your heel tightly back in the heel pocket to prevent blisters, and still leaving the ankle a bit loose for circulation.

There's a bunch of videos on YouTube, this one changed my life: https://youtu.be/SOE28brAcEc

:aaaaa:

This is one of the most ingenious things I've ever seen--thanks for sharing this!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hungryjack posted:

I'm pretty confident that were you to walk up to the counter without a membership, they would sell you one on the spot.

Yeah, you can buy a membership at checkout.

pissboy
Aug 21, 2004
Yeah for Twinkies!

dms666 posted:

Some of the REI stores won't let you into the garage sale without a membership.

As far as if it is worth it to go to one? I picked up a new kayak whose bulkhead needed to be resealed. $800 kayak for $400 plus $8 in sealant. The higher ticket items will have paperwork attached to them that you'll need to grab before someone else does. You'll find some new items that are missing one or two small items for ~50% off.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Care to have a partner? I live in the Portland suburbs. You can email me at my username @ gmail for further discussion. I have a fast pace, plenty of experience (for SS, anyway) and am willing to drive you to the trailhead if you'll chip in a bit for fuel.

Speaking of Cascade mountains, I have some gear of mine that is lost on Mt. Adams. If any of you goons are going to be there soon, let me know; I'm interested in operating one of my drones to check to see if it's still around, or if it's been stolen. If you come across it, it's a BD Raven Pro Ti 65cm with an orange leash, pair of microspikes, pair of BD Alpine Pro poles, and a pair of gloves, wrapped in plastic sheeting and stuffed into a crevice. They'd have been there for close to a month at this point; I told the Trout Lake rangers about them, and I had heard that someone had seen the gear the day after I returned home, but the rangers haven't heard a thing about it. I'd like to know if the people who came across the gear took it home, or if it's still there.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 14, 2015

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Keldoclock posted:

Care to have a partner? I live in the Portland suburbs. You can email me at my username @ gmail for further discussion. I have a fast pace, plenty of experience (for SS, anyway) and am willing to drive you to the trailhead if you'll chip in a bit for fuel.

Speaking of Cascade mountains, I have some gear of mine that is lost on Mt. Adams. If any of you goons are going to be there soon, let me know; I'm interested in operating one of my drones to check to see if it's still around, or if it's been stolen. If you come across it, it's a BD Raven Pro Ti 65cm with an orange leash, pair of microspikes, pair of BD Alpine Pro poles, and a pair of gloves, wrapped in plastic sheeting and stuffed into a crevice. They'd have been there for close to a month at this point; I told the Trout Lake rangers about them, and I had heard that someone had seen the gear the day after I returned home, but the rangers haven't heard a thing about it. I'd like to know if the people who came across the gear took it home, or if it's still there.

Thanks for the offer but I'm doing the hike with family so I will pass this time. Have you done St Helens by chance? I would love to give it a try next summer but I know it's more technical.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Keldoclock posted:

; I'm interested in operating one of my drones

no

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Thanks for the offer but I'm doing the hike with family so I will pass this time. Have you done St Helens by chance? I would love to give it a try next summer but I know it's more technical.

St Helens isn't technical at all - there's some scrambling but it's easy class 2. The biggest challenge with St Helens (besides the long drive to the trailhead) is getting a climbing permit, they sell out fast especially for the weekends. I think they start being available in March or so, so you'll have to schedule well ahead of time. It's a fantastic hike though, I encourage everyone to do it.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

I have, it's really no trouble at all.

If you climb Helens in the winter you don't need to buy a permit.

It's faster than walking, and gives you access to areas you can't reach on foot.

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

dms666 posted:

You need to show up early because there will be a line.

Boots and such in popular sizes tend to picked up first.

However if you are looking at gear such as tents, sleeping bags, and such.....you can find some pretty good deals.

I saw a guy walk out with a fairly new kayak for under $100......it just had a scratch where the previous owner ran it onto a rock.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Just finished my first "longer then overnight" hike and I am kinda dead. I have a million questions for later but want to post the exciting news that I encountered a hiking cart in action and it was wonderful.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Keldoclock posted:

It's faster than walking, and gives you access to areas you can't reach on foot.

They're also illegal in some areas (national parks) and annoying for everyone else that happens to be in the area

I completely understand the appeal to getting sweet pictures in the back country with your drone but it'd be extremely frustrating to me to be out backpacking and have someone flying a drone all over the place

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thanks to some recommendations itt, my gf and I have a 4-day planned for Desolation Wilderness (in the sierras). I can't wait! It looks incredible there.

Our planned route:
  • Park at Eagle Falls, maybe stay nearby for an early start in the morning
  • Day 1: 7.2 miles to camp at mineral springs (alt: if we're feeling good, extra 1.5ish miles to camp at 4 Qs lakes through an "unmantained trail" :getin:)
  • Day 2: 10.2 miles to camp at Gilmore lake
  • Day 3: 7.1 miles to camp at the various Velma lakes (if feeling good, extra 1.5 miles to Dick's Peak and back)
  • Day 4: 4.7 miles back out to Eagle Falls parking
This will be on a bunch of (mostly) weekdays in mid September.

I've never backpacked in an alpine sort of environment. Is there anything about it that i should know, that I might not expect, etc?

Some more specific questions:
  1. I'm assuming water is nothing to worry about, because of all them lakes? Do they ever dry up?
  2. What should the weather be like?
  3. Am I correct in assuming that any passes will be free of snow by mid-september? That's the gist I get from The Internet.
  4. :siren:Trail Runner Fans:siren: I'm a recent trail-runner-as-hiking-shoe convert. Will they suffice for this environment/weather? Or should I really bring some boots?
  5. The altitude range from 7k to 10k feet. I live in appalachia. Should I expect to be mega fatigued all the time at that altitude, or just moderately?
  6. It seems like you can rent a bear can from a ranger's station, for free/cheap/donation? Is this true?
  7. Stretch goal: Will there be fish in the lakes, and does anyone have tips on minimalist fishing (preferably without a rod)? I think I can just bring a line, a hook, and some splitshot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bunnielab posted:

Just finished my first "longer then overnight" hike and I am kinda dead. I have a million questions for later but want to post the exciting news that I encountered a hiking cart in action and it was wonderful.

?