Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Regarding thaumcraft research, I have been shamelessly using http://ythri.github.io/tcresearch/ to cheese it. You put in two aspects and the distance between them, and it gives you a route. You can also disable aspects you don't have or want to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Turns out saying nuts to the biodomes and just reclaiming the Swamp Delta works out fine as a base. Just shuffle the ethereal blooms around until the first island is cleaned, then scoop up extras from the scouting locations to work on the other islands

there's going to be errant corners that get infected due to caves underground, but that's what the few pure daisies you get from exploring are for

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I wish I was more organize when teching up. I have a mess of chests everywhere with random bits and bobs in them. Terraformed most of the second swamp delta island though so now I have a ton of real estate. I'll probably use that for farming and botania stuff and there's a zombie spawner underneath I'm gonna try and use to get some brains. My 5 silverwood saplings will be used to turn the last island into a magical forest biome so I can try to farm mana beans.

Is there a good way to make plants that are biome specific grow? All the oak trees I plant are regular no vines stuff. I want to make the swamp look like a swamp.

Where are you getting your starter beans? I poked around the silverwood forest (which is a terrifying and dangerous place) and didn't have much luck. I found some Iter beans but nothing else, though I was frantically trying to not get murdered by things so I didn't look excessively closely.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

also what is a good source of spiritus for essentia/crucibles etc, I don't know where any soul sand would be on the blightfall map

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

also what is a good source of spiritus for essentia/crucibles etc, I don't know where any soul sand would be on the blightfall map

There's some on the Eerie Island and some on the Volcano Island though it is fair from plentiful. I've wound up hoarding all of mine for growing nether wart.

Something to keep in mind for sources for essential is the alchemical centrifuge. Spiritus builds into Sensus, which is easy as hell to get en masse cause it comes in carrots. Alternately you can also get it from Cognitio from Paper. I've only just discovered the wonders of the centrifuge but it's looking really goddamned good the more I think about it.

Like for Lucrum, which I believe Alkyredes asked about (someone did, not sure who), I don't know of any good sources other than mana beans, but if you can find a source of Nebrisum, the theft essentia, it'll centrifuge down into half Lucrum, half Perfodio. Unfortunately I don't know any way to get Nebrisum, but it's a start!

Magres fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 14, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh my loving god why is this sugarcane taking so long to grow, i've been staring at it for ingame days now and only one of three have grown once :suicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mechanics question, do areas cleansed by Ethereal Bloom remain so if I remove the bloom, or how does that work?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Mechanics question, do areas cleansed by Ethereal Bloom remain so if I remove the bloom, or how does that work?

If you remove them the taint will (assuming it's close by) eventually grow back.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

They'll slowly become re-blighted, but it takes like an in-game week or two for blight to creep across the diameter of what an ethereal bloom will clean. More blooms makes it easier, but it's not excessively difficult to claim an area that's like 100x100 with 5-10 blooms and keep it clean. I've started growing crops and set up a Botania mana generation setup (I forget where but you can loot like a dozen dayblooms somewhere)

Randomly, if you haven't done it, do the quests to get the scans of the flower locations. Several of the kinds of flowers are in some of the secrets of the game and it'll point you in the right direction to finding some cool stuff.

E: vvvv oh man I'm setting that to true every time I do thaumcraft in the future (unless the cost is prohibitively high w/o the minigame) and telling my friend that runs our server to enable it. The Thaumcraft minigame was something I really enjoyed the first and second time I did it, was okay with the third through like fifth or sixth time, and just groan at at this point. I like it from a design perspective, but it definitely doesn't age well when you hop modpacks half a dozen times over the course of a year and have to redo it repeatedly.

Magres fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 14, 2015

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Re: Thaumcraft research, there's an option in the config file to disable the minigame but keep the research point costs.

code:
    # 0 = normal, -1 = easy (all research items are directly purchased with RP), 1 = Hard (all research items need to be solved via the research table)
    I:research_difficulty=-1

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nomikos posted:

Re: Thaumcraft research, there's an option in the config file to disable the minigame but keep the research point costs.

code:
    # 0 = normal, -1 = easy (all research items are directly purchased with RP), 1 = Hard (all research items need to be solved via the research table)
    I:research_difficulty=-1

I've read it's cheaper to do the research minigame and without it you run out of the 'common' aspects infuriatingly often, but I figure in Blightfall's case that I'll just find a way to say I'M A WIZZARD and cheat in research if I get mad enough :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there some trick to easily getting casting metals in Blightfall? I got a smeltery up, but I can only take whole blocks out of it because I do not have an ingot mold.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anyone know where you get Light Gray flowers? The quest just points you to a cave you get into on the west side of the mountains, but that mountain range is loving huge

E: nope wrt casting metals, they're pretty butts to find, though if you requisition enough seeds you'll get some oreberry bushes. I'm getting most of my aluminum from a trio of aluminum bushes I have

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 14, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is there some trick to easily getting casting metals in Blightfall? I got a smeltery up, but I can only take whole blocks out of it because I do not have an ingot mold.

Swamp delta. Dig straight down until you see a lava lake on 5he minimal and dig towards it. It has some aluminum you can use to make brass. I had enough for 8 casts.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
:siren:BUST THE PROGRESSION:siren:

Make a flint sword and pick or whatever

On the ridge that runs down the right-hand side of the central continent there's one of those Thaumcraft spooky obsidian shrine things, with a sinister node and a chest in it. Loot that chest. It's got a Ceruclase helmet in it. DON'T WEAR IT

Go to the waterfall on the same ridge. There's a wall made out of green schist with a cave under it and an ethereal bloom on top. The bloom keeps the cave clean, and the cave spawns hostile vanilla mobs. Dig to the cave and robust some creepers. Grab sand from anywhere and make a TNT.

The hard part: tunnel dive under your bio dome or anywhere until you find a gold deposit. Blow it up with your TNT. Pray you get a gold ore to drop.

Smelt your gold. Pour a pickaxe head cast. Melt your ceruclase helmet. Make a pickaxe head out of it. Supra-diamond mining level. :bustem:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mzbundifund posted:

:siren:BUST THE PROGRESSION:siren:

Make a flint sword and pick or whatever

On the ridge that runs down the right-hand side of the central continent there's one of those Thaumcraft spooky obsidian shrine things, with a sinister node and a chest in it. Loot that chest. It's got a Ceruclase helmet in it. DON'T WEAR IT

Go to the waterfall on the same ridge. There's a wall made out of green schist with a cave under it and an ethereal bloom on top. The bloom keeps the cave clean, and the cave spawns hostile vanilla mobs. Dig to the cave and robust some creepers. Grab sand from anywhere and make a TNT.

The hard part: tunnel dive under your bio dome or anywhere until you find a gold deposit. Blow it up with your TNT. Pray you get a gold ore to drop.

Smelt your gold. Pour a pickaxe head cast. Melt your ceruclase helmet. Make a pickaxe head out of it. Supra-diamond mining level. :bustem:

I busted it open by getting a Fusewood sapling from requests. Fusewood, as a wood, is made into parts with wooden forms but is otherwise comparable to iron for mining and other stats (makes hella-good bow/crossbow parts too). After that it was trivial to get some gold for casts. It also is cheap as gently caress to get repair materials as each fusewood tree gives 3-5 logs and planks give as much repair as ingots do for metal tools.

I imagine any of the natura nether woods would work just about the same. Are there any natural Natura trees on the nether islands?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've got an alumite pick head now because when I went to the jungle scouting location, I braved the village nearby and found some obsidian in a chest. Also supra-diamond and (especially if you get some aluminum berry bushes or such) easier to make repair materials for I think.

Right now my biggest thing is that I'm trying to rush the Thaumcraft taint-busting stuff, but without the benefit of really knowing all that much about Thaumcraft. :eng99:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

taiyoko posted:

I've got an alumite pick head now because when I went to the jungle scouting location, I braved the village nearby and found some obsidian in a chest. Also supra-diamond and (especially if you get some aluminum berry bushes or such) easier to make repair materials for I think.

Right now my biggest thing is that I'm trying to rush the Thaumcraft taint-busting stuff, but without the benefit of really knowing all that much about Thaumcraft. :eng99:

You don't want to rush the taint-busting stuff, thaumcraft becomes drastically easier and more useful if you do some infrastructure work first. I'll right a thaumcraft crash course that I'll edit into this post.

E:

I'm not gonna do a basics setup guide because it takes forever to explain all of it, but the short version of it is follow the quest line. For a dangerous but quick way to get a thaumonomicon, you can sprint to your nearest local infested village and click one of their bookshelves with a wand to turn it into a thaumonomicon. It's what I usually do, but you'll probably die in the process because tainted guards are fast and hit like trucks (really all of the customNPC tainted NPCs hit like goddamned freight trains, the blighted botanist will oneshot you from afar with his gun if you don't have armor on :stare:)

First thing to research, get Research Expertise and Mastery (don't worry about the warp on the Mastery, it's a small enough amount that the worst thing that will happen to you is the edges of your screen will darken slightly and a heartpounding sound clip will play. Spooky, and if you're in a tight spot it can scare the poo poo out of you, but ultimately harmless). They make research a lot easier and more pleasant, and can save you some research points now and then.

Second, research the greatwood wand core and gold capped wands tech, as well as the expert node tapping, master node tapping, and node preserving researches. For the ambitious, research node in a jar (you'll want this either way, eventually, but it can wait if you don't want to do it). Take your crappy iron stick wand and go tap some nodes, but BE CAREFUL because it's such a lovely wand that you can over-drain nodes and hurt them. My recommendation is to go sail around the ocean with your thaumometer out and find nodes to tap. Scan them, too. You'll have to hop in and out of your boat to scan things, and will want to hop out to tap them (it's possible to tap them without getting out of your boat but it's really annoying). Getting in and out of boats is annoying as hell, but it's much safer and faster than finding and scanning and tapping nodes on land. I literally have not tapped a single node on land in Blightfall 2. Once you've got enough vis, put together your greatwood+gold wand. Its got double the capacity of the iron+stick wand and won't hurt nodes.

Next up, in alchemy, work your way to the right - research nitor and alumentum, then essentia distillation, and work your way down that chain until you get to the automated alchemy research. A good arcane furnace and auto-alchemy setup makes thaumcraft so much more pleasant, if you just use a crucible for everything then your drat essentia points disappear at random and you produce a good deal of magical pollution because of inefficiency and such. It's also just an annoying process in general.

At this point, you are now ready to produce Ethereal Blooms, sort of. You'll want a cow for milk for Sano (put a milk bucket and a glass bottle in a crafting grid to get a bottle of milk, which has 2 points of Sano in it, which you need for blooms), Tainted stuff for Vitium (do the thaumcraft quest line, the paranormalist will accept tainted goo and tendrils and give you Vitium, it's much easier than trying to do it yourself), and Nether Wart for Herba and Praecantatio. You can get nether wart from seed bags, or from the eerie island in the south ocean though the place has wandering tainted wizard mobs that will gently caress you up. You can get soul sand from that place or, more safely, from the volcano island, check near the waypoint where there's like 40 you can grab. I got my nether wart from a seed bag and my soul sand from the safe option.

Another source for Sano, once you've done the bulk of the thaumcraft questline, is the Paranormalist can give you some for a little bit of reputation. I don't recommend this though, it's a little pricey for my tastes and it's not that bad to do by hand (if you need a cow, do the second black market promethium quest for a pair of cow eggs). Additionally, if you do the thaumcraft quest line, one of the later quests is to submit 10 Ethereal Blooms, and it gives you back 20 Ethereal Blooms. I rush this quest super hard because it's a really, really good reward and 20 Ethereal Blooms is plenty for your early game taint clearing needs - I've got about a 100x100 area around my biodome cleared, and I'm aggressively expanding it, with 20 Blooms.

VOILA, your crash course on ethereal blooms in thaumcraft. Get node tapping tech, get the greatwood gold wand, get (good) alchemy running, and you're ready to do blooms. Thaumcraft is kinda cool in that there's lots of ways you can invest in your magical infrastructure to make your life easier. And happily, for ethereal blooms, you can do it all without teching to infusions, which are kind of a pain to get together in Blightfall, though there's free infusion altars both in the bay by the swamp and underneath the iceberg waypoint though the latter demands you kill a trio of extremely dangerous tainted wizards - it's doable with a tinker's construct wooden crossbow if you dig around in the walls and cheese them with some guerilla warfare and line of sight games.

Next up, Centivis tech! Make hunting for nodes a thing of the past!

Magres fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 14, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also regarding food, an easy way to cheese the hunger rules is to make cheesecake. It is placed on the ground like normal cake, but eating it doesn't cause you to gain entries in your food journal. It has low saturation, but it's easy to make tons of it.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Is their a ore/tool chart that shows their strength and speed while showing how to make alloys? I have lots of random stuff but don't know where to look to see if I can smelt together and what tool material is better.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Still waiting to get enough cane for paper to make my thaumonomicon when I left this morning :shepicide:

I don't even have a bloody smeltery yet!! :saddowns:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
...go harvest more from the Swamp Delta and along the river instead? Use that seven free bonemeal you get every single minecraft day on the cane?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Go hit up a tainted village for one of their bookshelves, just be prepared to die a time or three to tainted guards for it.

Also, gonna edit a centivis guide into here.

Are you lazy and tired of running around for paltry scraps of vis like a plebeian? Of course you are, wizards are too busy pondering the mysteries of the universe and destroying life as we know it with horrible mutating purple monstrosities to run around gathering vis for their wands! Lore-wise, nodes are tiny gaps in reality where magic trickles through. With the proper application of magical leverage, you can tear that gap in reality a little wider (fortunately, with no ill effects unless you screw up) to get a constant stream of vis in the form of centivis, kinda like an electric current. And fortunately, the research to do this is super easy, though the fabrication can be a tad material intensive, particularly on gold, if I recall correctly. To solve your gold needs, requisition and melt down gold pickaxes and wood axes as needed. It'll ding you for a bit of rep, but nothing that expensive, and gold is rare enough that it's worth burning rep for. I'm not sure what exactly the tool requisition quest is locked behind, but I think it's finding all of the tech metals.

Needed Research and where it is

Right, so, in terms of actual research, you'll need the Node Stabilizer research in the top left of the Thaumaturgy page, the Vis for the masses or whatever quest that comes off the top right of that, the wand recharge pedestal that comes off the top left of that, and the wand recharge relay that's in between the two of them.

Another piece of research you'll really want is the Node In A Jar tech. It's on the basic info page, on the bottom left by the node tapping and preserving researches. Bottling a node takes 26 glass, 9 slabs of wood, and 70 of every kind of mana. If you followed my crash course on getting Ethereal Bloom production rolling, you'll still have a gold capped greatwood wand, which is not up to this task. Here, you have two options. Either the Gold Capped Greatwood Scepter or Gold Capped Greatwood Stafc. Where wands are generalist tools, scepters are non-combat tools (and staves are combat tools). Scepters hold 150% as much as a wand of the same material, get a 10% vis discount on top of whatever your wand caps and magical gear give, but cannot use wand foci.
Staffs can use foci and hold twice as much vis as a wand, but cannot be placed into an arcane workbench to provide vis for crafting, or to recharge with your centivis technology. I prefer the scepter personally, but many goons in thread have sworn by the staff. I'm going to write up the scepter process because it's what I remember, but the staff process isn't much different.

To get to the scepter research, research Infusion on the artifice page (you won't actually be infusing things, you just need to know how), then head to the thaumaturgy page and research the silverwood wand core - the scepter research is gated behind it. From there, follow your nose through the process of making a balanced shard (make 4 - in general you want to use essentia in multiples of 8 because phials hold exactly 8 essentia) and a primal charm, a greatwood wand core, and a trio of gold caps. Slap it together for a gold greatwood scepter. This is what I did because I'm procrastinating with regards to actually setting up an infusion altar and getting all of that crap going.

Actually getting Centi-vis

Go find an appropriate node! If you're a seafaring wizard like me (I do all of my node tapping out on the ocean, it's the easiest and safest way to find, scan, and tap nodes) then you'll probably be running short on terra vis, and because our world is a blighted hellscape, you'll probably be running short on ordo vis. So you, again, have two choices, an easy one and a mildly harder one that's better in the long run. You can either find a node with terra and ordo, or you can search for a node with everything. The latter is less awful than it sounds, though it's not always easy. However, compound vis (ie anything but the primal six) will break down into every kind of component primal vis in that compound element. So, say, if you have anything that involves Humanus or breaks down into Humanus at some point (which includes Instrumentum, and thus all of the aspects Instrumentum builds from) then you've got an omni node on hand. Notably, there's one with 30 Messis out on the ice sheets way up north, between the tundra and taiga waypoints and if you haven't been in the area yet, you can even scoop it up fresh before it gets tainted by the surrounding area if you show up with a charged wand and jarring materials on hand. Don't tap it though! Tapping nodes before you jar them permanently caps their aspect values at whatever they're at before you jar them.

So, yeah! The hardest part is jarring a node, probably, just because getting 70 of every vis without centivis is a decent pain. Use the ocean to, it's the safest way to fill a wand, and boating around is very fast until you have some more endgame movespeed tech available.

Oh, it's also worth mentioning that the centivis current scales with the square root of the amount of vis the node had on hand, to a cap of 10 CV per tick. However, getting a node with 100 in every aspect, while possible, is a huge pain in the rear end even when you don't have the nodes, and the land itself, actively trying to murder you. Additionally, bright nodes will output 20% more CV, and pale nodes (which you'll probably have) output 20% less per tick. I've used both 4 CV nodes and 12 CV nodes and, yeah, there's a difference if you're in a big drat hurry, but you can almost entirely mitigate the difference between them by just making a couple spare wands (gold capped greatwood wands make for great spares, they're easy as hell to make compared to everything better than them, and are just fine for most work), some extra wand charge relays, and extra arcane work benches and just having a vis battery waiting for you. Making a 100 point bright supernode is really, really not worth it, even outside of Blightfall. I'd maybe consider it if like 5+ people are working together and you all use absolute tons of vis constantly, but even then I'd just make a dozen wands, a dozen charging station, and have a huge mana battery for everyone to work with.

E: Added in that silverwood cores are gated behind Infusion research. My bad Ciaphas!

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 25, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Sage Grimm posted:

...go harvest more from the Swamp Delta and along the river instead? Use that seven free bonemeal you get every single minecraft day on the cane?

last i checked, bonemeal didn't work on sugarcane

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Magres posted:

Thaumcraft stuff

Nifty, but didn't see a mention of Cent-Vis (which may be because I'm blind?)

Anyways, you're gonna need a tapped node, a node stabilizer, a nodefucker node transducer, and a relay thingy that sits on top of the magical crafting table (looks kinda like birdcage). You'll also need to find, or make a node with all 6 primal elements (or a mixture of secondary/tertiary elements that break down into all 6 primals).

Put the transducer on top of a stabilized node (do NOT transduce a non-stabilized node unless you want a literal taint explosion), activate it (lever or redstone block) and let it sit for a bit as the node is transformed into a tear in time and space that creates a constant stream of centi-vis. Then place the arcane table with a relay on top nearby. Congratulations, any wand you stick in this table will have effectively unlimited Vis. Makes a nifty recharger and suddenly your arcane crafting became a billion times easier. Not quite as right-click friendly as having a pedestal in the middle of a bunch of nodes, but recharges like 20x faster, never runs dry, and far more space efficient.

Oh, and you don't need to make silverwood or elemental wands to jar nodes. You can use a Greatwood staff and completely skip the infusion altar until you've got an infinite wand charging arcane crafting table. Of course you'll likely just toss the thing afterwards since staves don't fit into crafting tables to charge, but it's a lot easier to make a primal charm when you're low on vis than it is to make an infusion altar.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

last i checked, bonemeal didn't work on sugarcane

Hm, you're right, my bad.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Jesus christ, I ran into an infected scout while getting the spires waypoint. He had a gun. I nearly jumped out of my skin when he started shooting at me. :stonk:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Nifty, but didn't see a mention of Cent-Vis (which may be because I'm blind?)

Anyways, you're gonna need a tapped node, a node stabilizer, a nodefucker node transducer, and a relay thingy that sits on top of the magical crafting table (looks kinda like birdcage). You'll also need to find, or make a node with all 6 primal elements (or a mixture of secondary/tertiary elements that break down into all 6 primals).

Put the transducer on top of a stabilized node (do NOT transduce a non-stabilized node unless you want a literal taint explosion), activate it (lever or redstone block) and let it sit for a bit as the node is transformed into a tear in time and space that creates a constant stream of centi-vis. Then place the arcane table with a relay on top nearby. Congratulations, any wand you stick in this table will have effectively unlimited Vis. Makes a nifty recharger and suddenly your arcane crafting became a billion times easier. Not quite as right-click friendly as having a pedestal in the middle of a bunch of nodes, but recharges like 20x faster, never runs dry, and far more space efficient.

Oh, and you don't need to make silverwood or elemental wands to jar nodes. You can use a Greatwood staff and completely skip the infusion altar until you've got an infinite wand charging arcane crafting table. Of course you'll likely just toss the thing afterwards since staves don't fit into crafting tables to charge, but it's a lot easier to make a primal charm when you're low on vis than it is to make an infusion altar.

I was writing up a big, probably overly detailed guide to it, cause I was hoping to make it as newbie friendly as I could and assume whoever's doing it knows little/no thaumcraft because it's something you should get done as early as possible, but that is kind of hard to figure out unless you've done a lot of thaumcraft.

If anyone's interested, I can keep writing up stuff. I can think of one more major thing in Thaumcraft that's worth writing up, one minor thing Thaumcraft thing that's worth writing up, and know just enough Botania to do a basics post (though really, go play FTB Botania, they made a modpack that is basically a big Botania tutorial using HQM that's really nice for learning it), and I know enough Blood Magic to get through the basics (I could do the entirety of the old questline easily, but from what I hear there's more to the blood magic line at this point). And if anyone's really dug into industry in Blightfall I'd love to read a writeup of it, I only ever really did buildcraft and industrialcraft so I'm a little lost with Thermal Expansion and Minefactory Reloaded. I know a little of what they can do from reading about random machines, but I've never actually worked with them much at all.

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 14, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So I was digging around in blightfall, and found a end fort, with a portal to the last millennium in it. Now I'm stuck in a void, and just watched an NPC named Xelos the Archmage fall into the darkness below me. I can't move, and my hunger won't drop so I can't get home? Is this intentional?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Does mashing jump do anything? Also even holding still drains hunger (very) slowly unless the last millenium dimension disables that. Afk for like 10-15 minutes and see if your hunger bar drops at all.

Sounds like a bug though, the last millenium is just an chrono trigger reference easter egg that some mod put in and is normally a little (~10x10) platform that Xelos chills out on

E: vvvv I've died like 10 times and still have tons of rep. Also your first three deaths get some forgiveness on them, and only cost you like 2, 5, then 7 rep before it's up to the full 10 every death. If you do everything you'll wind up with hundreds of rep, and if you make a nice wheat farm and a tree farm, you can make bread to generate rep. It's how I'm planning to power my industry, cause I don't want to do Big Reactors.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 14, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

Not gonna lie, I haven't even left Bio-dome Alpha except for a brief sojourn to the swamp to get some notCopper, then went back to BDA to mine iron and get started on TC.

I'm scared of exploring for some reason, I don't want to die too many times and tank my rep :(

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
The entire point of The Last Millenium for gameplay purposes is to provide a Void Age for modpacks without RFTools or Mystcraft, it doesn't really do anything besides that.

Setup a base there, obviously.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

Not gonna lie, I haven't even left Bio-dome Alpha except for a brief sojourn to the swamp to get some notCopper, then went back to BDA to mine iron and get started on TC.

I'm scared of exploring for some reason, I don't want to die too many times and tank my rep :(

Go to the Marble Shrine south of alpha dome. It's an even shorter walk than you took to get to the swamp, and you can net some botania flowers, four free nitor, and four free ethereal blooms. Just ignore enemies and book it, if you made it to the swamp, you can make it there.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mzbundifund posted:

Go to the Marble Shrine south of alpha dome. It's an even shorter walk than you took to get to the swamp, and you can net some botania flowers, four free nitor, and four free ethereal blooms. Just ignore enemies and book it, if you made it to the swamp, you can make it there.

thank you for reminding me there was free nitor there, I was crapping myself trying to get glowstone to make it

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I found a couple of +1 runic shielding rings and drat these things are nice for long walks on the taint crusted hellscape. Drains your wands Aer but they protect your armor durability and HP.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm probably going overkill but due to the random taint poisoning, I am just running slabs out everywhere. Five blocks of oak wood give me 40 slabs, so I have had enough to traverse the first bits just from punching trees. My big problem with the taint poisoning is its arbitrariness, and it usually comes rocking out while I'm getting into a fight with a tainted pig. So I can't tell when that's hitting me or I'm getting hit by another mob on the scene, or a tainticle coming out of nowhere.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that's seriously overkill. just make sure to keep your hunger filled up a fair amount and jump every now and then when moving across. keep an eye on the minimap and minimize the amount of enemies you aggro. always avoid taintacles and tainted human mobs unless you've got a good way to deal with them. i can generally go a long while without having to worry a bit.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Before I even try to attempt it, is pink slime realistically obtainable in Blightfall? Pink Slime crossbows fuckin own and would probably make dealing with taint creatures much simpler.

Alternatively I suppose regular or blue slime would be almost as good, any hints there? I did find a few slime parts in a tinker house but nothing useful...can I melt those?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Reminder to those that don't like going through the motions of TiC's grout that villages are pretty good sources for a fully kitted Smeltery. Cheese the guards near dome beta (or betta' yet, getting a Taintacle do the dirty work for you!), then steal everything for your own gain.

Edit: When did Botania add a mana tank railcar? That's so ridiculous, I love the idea of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

that's seriously overkill. just make sure to keep your hunger filled up a fair amount and jump every now and then when moving across. keep an eye on the minimap and minimize the amount of enemies you aggro. always avoid taintacles and tainted human mobs unless you've got a good way to deal with them. i can generally go a long while without having to worry a bit.

You probably do want a basic wooden crossbow though, for handling taintacles. They have a really long spawn range on the little tentacles they spawn, it's like 20-30m I swear, and they have very high knockback.

Light Gun Man posted:

Before I even try to attempt it, is pink slime realistically obtainable in Blightfall? Pink Slime crossbows fuckin own and would probably make dealing with taint creatures much simpler.

Alternatively I suppose regular or blue slime would be almost as good, any hints there? I did find a few slime parts in a tinker house but nothing useful...can I melt those?

What do pink slime crossbows do? I've never played at all with the more, uh, exotic TiC materials. If you can't do the pink slime crossbow, definitely try the Bone Bow from Thaumcraft. With the Osmotic Enchanter in Thaumic Tinkerer, you can put any enchants you want on a bow and make it self-repairing with infinite arrows, rapid fire (like 3 charged arrows a second), maxed power, and it'll light things on fire. It's reaaally nice

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 14, 2015