Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

CEO trusts the assistant, not a problem. The problem is the CEO does not want to see all the replies to this specific email.

Example: assistant sends an email from the CEO wishing merry christmas. But it's going to VIPs so he wants it to be from his "real" address not noreply@ or assistant@. But he also doesn't want to go through all the responses saying "thanx you too" he wants the assistant to look at those and flag any that require action.

I've worked with this before, what we did was include a code (like #X3010Q) in white at the bottom of the email (in the signature) that indicated it was sent from the assistant. The CEO has a rule that auto-filters anything with that word into a special "you don't have to read this" folder and auto-CC'd the assistant so she could read them. Nobody saw it because it blended in with the background. The assistant had a selection of signatures they could use, to either make sure replies were hidden, or make sure they were seen, or flagged as important when they came back, etc. So basically codes + Outlook rules.

There was a whitebox in the basement running Outlook all day to ensure that the rules were always processing (this was in the old days). We also did the same thing with the CEO's BlackBerry, using custom signatures so that he could send messages from his BlackBerry and the messages would still end up in his "Sent" folder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

madsushi posted:

I've worked with this before, what we did was include a code (like #X3010Q) in white at the bottom of the email (in the signature) that indicated it was sent from the assistant. The CEO has a rule that auto-filters anything with that word into a special "you don't have to read this" folder and auto-CC'd the assistant so she could read them. Nobody saw it because it blended in with the background. The assistant had a selection of signatures they could use, to either make sure replies were hidden, or make sure they were seen, or flagged as important when they came back, etc. So basically codes + Outlook rules.

There was a whitebox in the basement running Outlook all day to ensure that the rules were always processing (this was in the old days). We also did the same thing with the CEO's BlackBerry, using custom signatures so that he could send messages from his BlackBerry and the messages would still end up in his "Sent" folder.

drat that's really clever. I imagine emails still slipped between the cracks when people would cut out the entire reply?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

drat that's really clever. I imagine emails still slipped between the cracks when people would cut out the entire reply?

I think we cheesed that with a code in CEO-initiated signatures too, so anything with "RE:" in the subject and no code was dropped in the box. The CEO would also give out a "private code" to his friends and other CEOs that would get messages "direct to his box" that made the other people feel important.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

madsushi posted:

I think we cheesed that with a code in CEO-initiated signatures too, so anything with "RE:" in the subject and no code was dropped in the box. The CEO would also give out a "private code" to his friends and other CEOs that would get messages "direct to his box" that made the other people feel important.
That's awesome. Nothing like winning fake browine points for basically setting up Outlook rules.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Sigh,

I'm at the hospital where my wife is in labor with our second kid. My boss has sent 6 texts and a dozens emails knowing that I'm at the hospital with my wife.

Pretty sure I'll be using paternity leave to find a new job.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
i'm probably a lovely boss, but at least I don't do poo poo like that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sigh,

I'm at the hospital where my wife is in labor with our second kid. My boss has sent 6 texts and a dozens emails knowing that I'm at the hospital with my wife.

I was trying to wrap up a 3-week project while my wife was literally laboring on a birthing ball in the living room, but then the company left me alone for 2 weeks and then asked me to take the rest of the week when I tried to come back. Sorry to hear that your boss sucks rear end.

One of my previous jobs had someone call me with a critical VMware issue about 4 hours before I got married. Our monitoring system alerted me first, though, and it was already fixed by the time they got through to me, so I was able to just yell "IT'S ALREADY FIXED" and dramatically hang up the phone

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Sigh,

:smug:: Listen buddy, you already witnessed the birth of a kid, the 2nd one can't be more important than these servers.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Turn your phone off. gently caress me.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Swink posted:

Turn your phone off. gently caress me.
Shouldn't I at least buy you dinner first?

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Aunt Beth posted:

Shouldn't I at least buy you dinner first?

I think your avatar pretty much answers your question.

Also, what is everyone's favorite task and ticket management system for a small IT contracting shop?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

madsushi posted:

I like this - nice.

I mean I hate it but that's probably the best solution considering.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Sigh,

Turn off your phone! Or at least disable work email sync. Literally everything can wait.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Beefstorm posted:

I think your avatar pretty much answers your question.

Also, what is everyone's favorite task and ticket management system for a small IT contracting shop?

Most of the systems you'll find are good, ticket systems tend to live or die based on how well the rules are configured and how sensible the staff using it are. I really like Zendesk but there's no reason why they have so many service tiers other than to get you to pay an insane price for relatively basic features.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

I was trying to wrap up a 3-week project while my wife was literally laboring on a birthing ball in the living room, but then the company left me alone for 2 weeks and then asked me to take the rest of the week when I tried to come back. Sorry to hear that your boss sucks rear end.

One of my previous jobs had someone call me with a critical VMware issue about 4 hours before I got married. Our monitoring system alerted me first, though, and it was already fixed by the time they got through to me, so I was able to just yell "IT'S ALREADY FIXED" and dramatically hang up the phone

My last vacation I just turned off my phone for most of it.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Beefstorm posted:

Do you want something that also does client management and billing and all that? I think connectwise and autotask are the two big ones.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
Can we post inane, rage-inducing jabbers here?

http://imgur.com/OZeeUwG

This is from somebody who uses a Mac literally 100% for their job, 5 days a week. I just can't...

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

McDeth posted:

Can we post inane, rage-inducing jabbers here?

http://imgur.com/OZeeUwG

This is from somebody who uses a Mac literally 100% for their job, 5 days a week. I just can't...
I can almost see this if the person isn't a power user or in IT. It's sad how few people know about Spotlight or the Applications folder in general. They just mash the buttons until it works, and I guess that works for them :sigh:

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

unruly posted:

I can almost see this if the person isn't a power user or in IT. It's sad how few people know about Spotlight or the Applications folder in general. They just mash the buttons until it works, and I guess that works for them :sigh:

With the amount of Keychain issues that we have (Login Keychain and Local Items Keychain passwords becoming unsync'd (gently caress you with a cactus, Apple), opening Keychain Access should be second nature.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

McDeth posted:

With the amount of Keychain issues that we have (Login Keychain and Local Items Keychain passwords becoming unsync'd (gently caress you with a cactus, Apple), opening Keychain Access should be second nature.
Is there a way to resync them (if they're joined to AD, that is)? I've seen and had this issue before, but I never bothered to look for a solution.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

unruly posted:

Is there a way to resync them (if they're joined to AD, that is)? I've seen and had this issue before, but I never bothered to look for a solution.

The only reliable way that I've found to re-sync them basically resets the entire keychain

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

unruly posted:

First of all keychain sucks.

Secondly I seriously think it's okay to expect Mac users to be a little more technical than the Windows users if you're running a mostly-Windows shop. For example the other day someone on a Mac gave a Windows guy an HFS+ formatted flash drive and Windows guy got mad that he can't open it. Mac guy should be aware of things like that and adjust accordingly.

Don't get me wrong I love my Macbook Air (and would use it more often it vsphere had a fat client for it or if the vsphere web client wasn't poo poo (is it still poo poo?)) but if you're in the minority you need to know how to remain compatible with the rest of the org.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

is it still poo poo?

It's still poo poo.

And yeah, I extend that logic to any special snowflakes. If you are one of one or two people who use a special piece of hardware or software, congrats, you're the expert. Especially in a small shop. And well, this is the small shop thread.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Secondly I seriously think it's okay to expect Mac users to be a little more technical than the Windows users if you're running a mostly-Windows shop. For example the other day someone on a Mac gave a Windows guy an HFS+ formatted flash drive and Windows guy got mad that he can't open it. Mac guy should be aware of things like that and adjust accordingly.

Don't get me wrong I love my Macbook Air (and would use it more often it vsphere had a fat client for it or if the vsphere web client wasn't poo poo (is it still poo poo?)) but if you're in the minority you need to know how to remain compatible with the rest of the org.
Oh, I agree. I ran Mac in a "Windows Only" shop for years, and there is plenty of stuff you have to do to stay under the radar.

Keychain absolutely sucks. Well, just as much as all the rest of the "keychain", authentication and certificate warehousing apps do. I'm not even sure why this is the case. Maybe it has to do with not wanting to spend resources for software that is for "power users and administrators" and therefore doesn't have to be good.

The problem is, the people getting the Macs in a given organization are absolutely not power users and can barely operate an iPad, let alone a desktop or laptop that isn't bog standard Windows. If someone can figure out how to not let admins, marketing and/or sales people get something they have no idea how to operate, then I think things will be just fine.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
I want to find the loving Engineer in charge of programming keychain and throw him/her off a god drat cliff. In a shop that enforces password rotation, it is all but impossible to keep the login and local items keychains in sync and a guaranteed loving pain in the rear end when they get out of sync.

I swear to god I have seen KeyChain assign a random loving password to the Local Items keychain before.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

I simplify by just not letting people use macs. If someone insisted on a mac as a work computer I'd just sip my coffee and say "Nope."

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005

Rhymenoserous posted:

I simplify by just not letting people use macs. If someone insisted on a mac as a work computer I'd just sip my coffee and say "Nope."

But you're supposed to empower users, not handicap them!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

McDeth posted:

That's what banning macs does. :smuggo:

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

This is the bane of my drat existence (no linux client either, loving come on vmware!)

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Anyone here use System Center Essentials? I'm only versed in the full enterprise version, but I'm curious if SCE is worth the price of admission. A side gig I work on would be a good fit from a cost/surface area perspective if it isn't gimped as gently caress.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Isn't Essentials being shitcanned?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Anyone here use System Center Essentials? I'm only versed in the full enterprise version, but I'm curious if SCE is worth the price of admission. A side gig I work on would be a good fit from a cost/surface area perspective if it isn't gimped as gently caress.

What do you plan on using it for?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Inventory and WSUS mostly.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

McDeth posted:

I'm empowering them by giving them the right software for the job.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Inventory and WSUS mostly.

You might want to take a look at PDQ Inventory instead then. It's a brilliant product used by plenty of goons, and the price is nice. It ties in with PDQ Deploy too, which is an excellent - and equally cheap - software deployment tool.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Every small shop should have PDQ inventory. The free version does so so so much.

We've just subscribed to Office 365. The non-mail, non-proPlus account. I need to package and deploy the Office Suite. What is the process for rolling it out to a bunch of machines? All I'm seeing is blogs on deploying ProPlus and "Click to Run".

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Office is super easy to deploy with scripts (or GPO if you have Active Directory).

There's an official guide here, but super shortly put all you need to do is:

• Download Office install package
  • run setup.exe /admin
  • Select "Create a new Setup customization file"
  • Pick the options you want
  • Save MST-file in the "Updates" directory of the office setup folder
  • Run Setup.exe on clients

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Oh right so its pretty much the same as Office 2010. I guess the Googling I did threw me off in the wrong direction.

Next quesion, I'm syncing my pilot users using AAD Connect, the users are syncing fine but it doesnt seem to be syncing the passwords. I cant log on with any of the test accounts unless I reset their password via the O365 Admin portal.

edit - Ahh, my service account didnt have the proper permissions. All fixed. http://blog.msresource.net/2014/10/29/rpc-error-8453-replication-access-was-denied-in-azure-ad-sync-services-aadsync/

Swink fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 28, 2015

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Rhymenoserous posted:

That's weak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

only if you are making a coffee observation...... :colbert: