Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Love LoGH, but I don't see how they're going to sell more than a few hundred copies of it. Still, these are the people who ran ADV, presumably they have a plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Was it licensed for NA only or for Europe too?

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Just finished episode 14. Mother loving goddamn this show is so good I don't even know what to do. I texted a buddy about it and he didn't give a poo poo, but I gotta tell somebody somewhere. Maybe I'll go into town tomorrow and just hand out USBs. Why have I put this off for so long?

I've been listening to Dan Carlin's podcast series on WW1, and the politics of military leadership in LoGH resonates with that so much. How many stories show how war affects every strata of society like this does? From foot soldiers, to peasants in a vassal state, and military field officers trying to negotiate with the orders of politicians who have no understanding of war?

There's even no gross fan service to make me feel sad about watching anime! Ugh, gonna go watch like a dozen more episodes and rant at my dog about if she's seeing how good this is.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The series seems to lose steam about half way through. There are still good moments, but they're rather sparsely spread around, and surrounded by the author's narrator's rants. I hope the last dozen episodes might do something interesting.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Halfway through is not quite right, about 3 quarters through IMO it levels out. From a documentary historical perspective, it's more or less true to form; the war is the meat of it, but then the series examines the fallout of the establishment of a massive galactic empire and how things all shake down, which as a history addict goes down real smooth for me, even if it's not of the same intensity of the earlier parts.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Episode 26 oh god no :smith: the LoGH universe better have 40K style dreadnaughts or something because maaaaan :smith:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
You're skipping the next episode previews right? You should skip them so you don't get tipped off about THAT EPISODE later on in the series ;)

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I saw the preview for THAT EPISODE and was emotionally devastated anyway.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I think I saw in the OP, or somewhere else, that the previews give too much away - so I've been skipping them since the first episode. Dig that first season ED though, especially when it plays over a closing montage.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Takes No Damage posted:

You're skipping the next episode previews right? You should skip them so you don't get tipped off about THAT EPISODE later on in the series ;)

I got spoiled before watching it, and it's still devastating. Maybe even more so, because I got spoiled about 5 episodes before, and it was just this looming weight of inevitability, and the narrator, and :smith: .

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Damnit, y'all are bringing back memories :smith:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I managed to get spoiled by the LD cover art. I threw myself on the grenade so the others watching didn't, though.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

The only way you won't see THAT ep coming in advance is to just not watch the show at all really

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Booourns posted:

The only way you won't see THAT ep coming in advance is to just not watch the show at all really

Yeah but at least you won't have the narrator going 'Hey literally this is going to happen NEXT TIME ON LoGH!!".

Hocus Pocus posted:

Dig that first season ED though, especially when it plays over a closing montage.

I've always liked it when shows have content during the OP/ED, like there was just so much good poo poo in this episode they couldn't fit it in so they cut the canned opening and/or closing because holy poo poo guys you have to see this. It also only seems to happen when realshit is going down, maybe that's why.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Amazon has the first volume of the novels up for preorder. Says March 2016.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1421584948

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
After taking a break for several months, I got back to mainlining LoGH. I just finished episode 66. It's sooo good but it's killing me inside because I KNOW every character that I love and care about is going to die, at least on the (formerly) FPA side. I think I may have to take a breather, or at least find a lighter show to balance it out.

Also it turns out that watching a show featuring the destruction of a crumbling democracy at the same time as the start of election season is a terrible idea. I think I'm losing my faith in democracy. :smithicide:

Please help, LoGH feels so good but hurts so bad.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Viola the Mad posted:

After taking a break for several months, I got back to mainlining LoGH. I just finished episode 66. It's sooo good but it's killing me inside because I KNOW every character that I love and care about is going to die, at least on the (formerly) FPA side. I think I may have to take a breather, or at least find a lighter show to balance it out.

Also it turns out that watching a show featuring the destruction of a crumbling democracy at the same time as the start of election season is a terrible idea. I think I'm losing my faith in democracy. :smithicide:

Please help, LoGH feels so good but hurts so bad.

Please don't worry about everybody dying, it doesn't happen.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Please don't worry about everybody dying, it doesn't happen.

A bunch of beloved characters do die though.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Man, I need to stop reading this thread until I finish the show. Dodging all the black bars is starting to scare me.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stopping reading isn't a bad idea, just don't stop posting first impressions as you watch. It's all we grizzled LoGH veterans have to live for anymore (unless these English releases are legit, we could look forward to those I suppose).

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

The episode of Julian watching a history tape is amazing (ep 40, I think?). What a deep cut of world building. Just like real history - major events and ideas become things we commonly reference, and LoGH has done exactly that, with nearly everything covered in the tape having already been foreshadowed. A good example Heinessen's ice spaceships which were previously referenced as Yang's inspiration for the ice rockets destroying the Artemis Necklace.

Rudolf von Goldenbaum's life was incredible, and I really liked how I left the episode thinking "oh many that could totally be a show in of itself" - its an interesting world, and characters at all times in history and stations in life could have series made about them. I imagine LoGH's history channel is just 24/7 Rudolf von Goldenbaum and his Reich.

I also liked the little touches - like how uniforms and technology developed to what we see in the show's era. Even the design of sidearms changed.

The presentation of it as a history program, down to the presenters, was also pretty cool. This show is real good and Julian is a cool kid, and hopefully a future, and long lasting, galactic hero.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
That was the episode where I started to find Julian less annoying.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

That was the episode where I started to find Julian less annoying.

He is the least annoying child sidekick/character in Science Fiction by a wide margin.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Takes No Damage posted:

Stopping reading isn't a bad idea, just don't stop posting first impressions as you watch. It's all we grizzled LoGH veterans have to live for anymore (unless these English releases are legit, we could look forward to those I suppose).

I am watching My Conquest is the Sea of Stars right now and I'm rock hard just from the music. I'm only 25 minutes in so far.

e: is Iserlohn Fortress space-talk for whore island

I really like this blonde fella. Also the space combat rules.

:aaaaa:

gently caress this is nuts

space is cool

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 13, 2015

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The thing I always remember about My Conquest is the Sea of Stars is Yang going on and on about how they'll be fine as long as the other guy doesn't do the thing.

Cut to Reinhard: "Do the thing."

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

The thing I always remember about My Conquest is the Sea of Stars is Yang going on and on about how they'll be fine as long as the other guy doesn't do the thing.

Cut to Reinhard: "Do the thing."

Yang did indeed get that thing Reinhard sent

Edit: Overture to a New War
Captain's Log

Free Planets Alliance full of morons. please advise

and Yang saves the day :woop:

I'm really really glad I didn't have to watch a bunch of episodes before both these guys ended up in-charge.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 13, 2015

bondster
May 6, 2007

Well it's official, new anime adaptation by I.G. In 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
"The new anime is not a remake of the earlier anime, but another anime adaptation of the original novels with a new staff." seems like a contradictory statement to me.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
It's probably their way of weaseling out of having to cover everything the 110 episode show covered, due to cost

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

"The new anime is not a remake of the earlier anime, but another anime adaptation of the original novels with a new staff." seems like a contradictory statement to me.

full metal alchemist brotherhood was not a remake of the first anime, but another adaptation of the original manga

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Are there huge discrepancies between the LOGH anime and the novels?

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Nate RFB posted:

Are there huge discrepancies between the LOGH anime and the novels?

attenborough doesnt exist in the novels. quite a bit of fluff in the first season isnt there either iirc.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I suspect though that this is not a FMA Brotherhood situation at least though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Attenborough's space pirate impression was great. I really liked him, so I"ll be sad if he doesn't show up in the new series.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I suspect though that this is not a FMA Brotherhood situation at least though.

Well no, FMA was just the first thing that came to mind to explain the difference between a remake of the first anime and a new adaptation of the source

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Uznare posted:

attenborough doesnt exist in the novels. quite a bit of fluff in the first season isnt there either iirc.
Attenborough exists in the novels, he just isn't there until the equivalent of Season 2. Hopefully they keep that revision or make a similar one instead of making Yang's story nothing but painful Death-Note-length internal monologues.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Patriotic Knight Corps :stare:

e: Siegfried totally pitched a tent when he met Annerose

Kid Reinhard is a bamf.

drat so the empire sucks as bad as the alliance does. no wonder reinhard is kind of a dick edit: maybe not

amazing speech, yang :golfclap:

Yang loving rules I love this plan. He's dancing his ships :laffo:

Rosen Ritter owns

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 15, 2015

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

old dog child posted:

Rosen Ritter owns

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

old dog child posted:

I love the bit where they first show up and menace Jessica, and they're all ominously humming the national anthem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

old dog child posted:

e: Siegfried totally pitched a tent when he met Annerose

Kid Reinhard is a bamf.

drat so the empire sucks as bad as the alliance does. no wonder reinhard is kind of a dick edit: maybe not

amazing speech, yang :golfclap:

Yang loving rules I love this plan. He's dancing his ships :laffo:

Rosen Ritter owns

LOGH GDT posting owns