Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I need some assistance with refreshing my memory on something.

I apologize that this borders heavily on politics, but it's something I have to ask.

Was Craig James hated as a commentator? I seem to recall several sites (including TFF) being very glad he was fired from ESPN, and then fired again from Fox Sports 1. I was very apathetic about the man, but I don't recall him being that major of a loss.

I ask because the local whackjob evangelical station I tune in to hear some delusional rantings about the country was having some guy on and acting like it was a major loss to no longer have him on the air.

https://www.libertyinstitute.org/fox-sports-testifies-lying-to-media-over-sportscaster-craig-james-alleged-firing

Here's a reference to apparently what they're bitching about. Again, my apologies for bringing politics into this, I'm just trying to determine if the guy was just an rear end in a top hat that just also happens to bring very lovely points of view about things to the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FuzzySkinner posted:

I need some assistance with refreshing my memory on something.

I apologize that this borders heavily on politics, but it's something I have to ask.

Was Craig James hated as a commentator? I seem to recall several sites (including TFF) being very glad he was fired from ESPN, and then fired again from Fox Sports 1. I was very apathetic about the man, but I don't recall him being that major of a loss.

I ask because the local whackjob evangelical station I tune in to hear some delusional rantings about the country was having some guy on and acting like it was a major loss to no longer have him on the air.

https://www.libertyinstitute.org/fox-sports-testifies-lying-to-media-over-sportscaster-craig-james-alleged-firing

Here's a reference to apparently what they're bitching about. Again, my apologies for bringing politics into this, I'm just trying to determine if the guy was just an rear end in a top hat that just also happens to bring very lovely points of view about things to the table

Tremendous rear end in a top hat, who got beloved coach Mike Leach fired from Texas Tech for not playing his son. His helicopter parenting defamed a great coach, leading to the internet meme of Craig James' killing of five hookers while at SMU.

quote:

At the start of the regular season, James's position coach, Lincoln Riley, called him into his office to inform him that he was being demoted to third string, citing poor effort in practice. James disagreed. So Riley showed him practice film to prove his point. When James left the office that day, he took his anger out on the door.

Another coach confronted him. "Why did you break the door?"

"What the hell do you think?" James said.

Leach thought about kicking him off the team then but didn't. Complicating the relationship between James and the coaching staff was the presence of Adam's father, Craig James. The former NFL player was a college football analyst for ESPN. It wasn't unusual for him to attend Tech practices and cover Tech games. Leach felt he meddled too much. "I heard more from Craig James than I did from the other 120 parents of players combined," Leach said.

Right after Adam got demoted to third string, he texted his father: "Bummer news. I'm third string."

Later that day, Lincoln Riley got a voice mail from Craig James: "If you have the balls—and I don't think you do—call me back."

Leach found out and didn't like it. "He was a helicopter parent," Leach explained. "It was all about trying to get more playing time for his son."

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 7, 2015

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Yeah he was being framed as a martyr on the show.

Also apparently College Football fans are really either a.) Apathetic or b.) Anti-LGBT rights, thus the network was wrong in firing him.

To be honest it sounds like Fox Sports 1 realized they made a big mistake and just used the comments as an excuse to kick his rear end off the network.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
CJK5H came around well before his political stuff or the Leach thing, I think it's safe to say he wasn't very well liked.

e: Oops maybe it started with Leach. I could have sworn it was older than that.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

CJK5H came around well before his political stuff or the Leach thing, I think it's safe to say he wasn't very well liked.

e: Oops maybe it started with Leach. I could have sworn it was older than that.

Well yeah he may or may not have killed five hookers when he was an undergrad at SMU.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah he was being framed as a martyr on the show.

Also apparently College Football fans are really either a.) Apathetic or b.) Anti-LGBT rights, thus the network was wrong in firing him.

To be honest it sounds like Fox Sports 1 realized they made a big mistake and just used the comments as an excuse to kick his rear end off the network.

James was a big rear end in a top hat but it did lead to him getting amusingly toasted in this piece over his conflicts of interest:

quote:

8. Do you trust Craig James when it comes to reporting on the Big 12?

Mandel: I wouldn't trust Craig James to report on sixth-grade volleyball. It's been established, via documented emails, that he not only encouraged a sitting Big 12 football coach's dismissal but hired a PR firm to intentionally manipulate coverage. And yet he's still walking into Big 12 coaches' offices every week to break down tape. Now he's running partisan political advocacy ads, which you would think would be a no-no for a television analyst (I seem to recall Lou Holtz getting in trouble simply for endorsing a candidate). How he's still on television (and in prominent time slots at that) is one of the great mysteries of modern civilization.

Staples: No. But I don't trust him when it comes to reporting on anything.

Schroeder: Does he report? I'm not sure how ESPN justified keeping him around. But he's still around. And now that Leach is no longer at Texas Tech, the immediate storm has passed. It would be unthinkable to have James in the booth for one of Leach's games (when Leach inevitably returns to coaching). Which is why it will probably happen. Until then, did you know James was a big-time athlete and he can still toss around big tires?

Think about what a massive cock you have to be to get multiple members of your industry to simply unload on you.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Copernic posted:

James was a big rear end in a top hat but it did lead to him getting amusingly toasted in this piece over his conflicts of interest:

Mandel: I wouldn't trust Craig James to report on sixth-grade volleyball.

holy poo poo :thurman:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Frank Gifford died today :(

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

NBC signed a 6-year extension to keep US EPL rights:

http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/nbc-premier-league-agree-to-six-year-contract-extension.html

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

DJExile posted:

Frank Gifford died today :(

I always felt Frank Gifford died when he got busted by Kathie Lee for getting some anal sex off a stewardess and had to be the henpecked husband for the remainder of his days.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Here's the FOX NFL lineup:

1) Joe Buck, Troy Aikman and Erin Andrews

2) Kevin Burkhardt, John Lynch and Pam Oliver

3) Kenny Albert, Daryl Johnston and Laura Okmin

4) Thom Brennaman, Charles Davis and Tony Siragusa

5) Chris Myers, Ronde Barber and Jennifer Hale

6) Dick Stockton, David Diehl and Kristina Pink

7) Sam Rosen, (rotating analysts) Chris Cooley/Matt Millen/Kirk Morrison/Brady Quinn, (rotating reporters) Peter Schrager/Holly Sonders/Danielle Trotta

Kenny, Moose and Goose got split up :qq:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I don't mind Erin Andrews but it's still a crime that Pam Oliver got bumped from the top group.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Dick Stockton will call every Washington game on FOX because they will be terrible and they always get Dick Stockton. Also Stockton will call him "Robert Griffin Jr." for the entire season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If Millen winds up calling any Lions games :argh:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

Dick Stockton will call every Washington game on FOX because they will be terrible and they always get Dick Stockton. Also Stockton will call him "Robert Griffin Jr." for the entire season.

Dick Stockton and Don Criqui are my two favorite announcers that should have hung it up a long time a go.

Both have called some of the greatest moments in the NFL, yet yeah...are not very good now.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

DJExile posted:

I don't mind Erin Andrews but it's still a crime that Pam Oliver got bumped from the top group.

why it's not like any of those sideline reporters ever present anything interesting

Richard Sherman screaming at Erin Andrews was pretty much the pinnacle of sideline reporting, and she just basically help up a mic.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

ummmm this is clearly it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFOqgaRivpU

no this is not Kissing Suzy Kolber

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Ungratek posted:

ummmm this is clearly it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFOqgaRivpU

no this is not Kissing Suzy Kolber

what the hell hahahah

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

THE MACHO MAN posted:

what the hell hahahah
That's a classic that never gets old, much like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LzBx--DgII

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

More Fox stuff. Cowherd's radio show will be on FS1 from Noon-3.

Francesa gets relegated full-time to FS2, that's gonna sit well with him

http://www.newsday.com/sports/media/colin-cowherd-joins-fox-bumping-mike-francesa-simulcast-to-fox-sports-2-1.10732940

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 12, 2015

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Vertical Lime posted:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/media/colin-cowherd-joins-fox-bumping-mike-francesa-simulcast-to-fox-sports-2-1.10732940

WAITUSECKIN WAITUSECKIN--AWM GETTIN BUMPED FOH COWTURD? GAWBIJ!

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

Vertical Lime posted:

Who is taking over his ESPN slot?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Copernic posted:

They've been bumping up people from the local LA affiliate on a week to week basis right now (which was really weird when it was the lovely mid-day show the first week), but last I heard LeBatard's shop was the favorite to be the long term replacement.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Any rumors on Simmons reemergence. I miss his podcast a lot.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

He signed a deal with HBO and has a show starting next year. Beyond that I dunno. He's still under contract with ESPN for awhile I think.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Copernic posted:

Dan LeBatard's father.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Vertical Lime posted:

Guess Fox sees the writing on the wall with Francessa.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Benne posted:

Kenny, Moose and Goose got split up :qq:
I went from hating them to loving them. I still remember what changed it. They gave Goose a big screen TV in the end zone, with like 4 other TVs attached to it, and he got busted hiding snacks behind all of them.

Or it might have been when they cut to him and he had a fedora on his head that looked like what I would look like if I put a thimble on my head. Whichever of those happened first (pretty sure the first one)

We got a lot of Goose and company during the lean Panther years.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

davecrazy posted:

Guess Fox sees the writing on the wall with Francessa.

It's partly that, partly also that for better or worse, Cowherd has a national presence and Francesca is only really known in NYC.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DJExile posted:

It's partly that, partly also that for better or worse, Cowherd has a national presence and Francesca is only really known in NYC.

I wouldn't sleep on Francesa.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

I wouldn't sleep on Francesa.

Francesca sleeps on Francesca!

E: Dammit i just got wooshed didn't i

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Ribsauce posted:

I went from hating them to loving them. I still remember what changed it. They gave Goose a big screen TV in the end zone, with like 4 other TVs attached to it, and he got busted hiding snacks behind all of them.

Or it might have been when they cut to him and he had a fedora on his head that looked like what I would look like if I put a thimble on my head. Whichever of those happened first (pretty sure the first one)

We got a lot of Goose and company during the lean Panther years.

You were one of the lucky ones. The Seahawks got stuck with Chris Myers every week during their rebuilding years.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

DJExile posted:

Francesca sleeps on Francesca!

E: Dammit i just got wooshed didn't i

You did.

Furthermore: do you, or someone you know, listen to WFAN? Do you also hate yourself? Well, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXwzHiq8U0

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Oh no, I may actually have to listen to Van Pelt now:

Scott Van Pelt ‏@notthefakeSVP posted:

So...this is happening. You wanted Winners? Done. We needed one thing: @Tromboneshorty Also done. Life is nuts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spwU1gigns8

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kibner posted:

Fuuuuck yes, Trombone Shorty owns

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

euphronius posted:

I believe his ESPN contract is up at the end of September so probably nothing until then. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't do anything until the NBA gets up and running.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kibner posted:

A pro-click

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I believe his ESPN contract is up at the end of September so probably nothing until then. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't do anything until the NBA gets up and running.
I thought he signed with HBO?

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought he signed with HBO?

He did sign with HBO but he wasn't fired by ESPN. They publicly announced they weren't going to re-sign him and at that point it was agreed that he would stop working for ESPN/Grantland. I assume in exchange for getting his paychecks & not actively working for them that he agreed to not bad mouth ESPN and can't start working elsewhere until his contract actually ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Simmons is starting to wake up more on Twitter. At the moment he's rolling Goddell and the Deflategate bull poo poo.