Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

In "possibly dumb but smart" side-grade news, I went from an el cheapo H81 ITX board that broke the rules by being able to barely overclock to a nice used ASUS TUF Z97. I got it for about the same price as the normal Z97s, for my poor little 4690k. More and faster RAM, PCIe SSDs (limited to PCIe 2.0 though :/ ), and christ. Went from needing a constant 1.3V just to hit 4.1GHz (with BSODs!) and a constant 1.2V for 4.0, to being able to feed an Speedstep-adaptive 1.175V (offset +0.1V) to hit a stable 4.4. And fan controls, oh my the fan controls. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

slidebite posted:

:stare:
I am curious to see how good of a job they do.
The fan will break in 2-3 months so it won't matter much

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
My local Microcenter finally has 6600-Ks in.

For $30 less than a 5820K :suicide:

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Please, elaborate.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Crazy rear end new intel HS/F

Oh hey, it's a HSF from 2004 :v:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 14, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Haswell i7-4790k boost and total speed including IPC is higher than skylake boost :laffo:

At least Xeon will run cold :shepface:

I just want native USB 3.0 ports, PCI 3.0, DMI 3.0, and an M2 SSD slot for those sweet sweet samsung drives coming out in a few months. My i7 860 is starting to show it's age, and my poor motherboard is losing it's base clock stability. Base clock manages to wander aimlessly between 83 and 100 Mhz, I'm honestly kinda surprised the thing still works, and I'm terrified of turning it off.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Marinmo posted:

TIL I got between a "bum" and a "pretty average" SB chip :( 4.4 was as far as mine would go, admittedly with sub-par overclocking skills.

4.5 was the ceiling for mine, though with my current motherboard it tops out at 4.3 :(

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Intel HSF's may not be the highest of the high end, but i cant say ive ever had a problem with their fans failing.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Intel HSF's may not be the highest of the high end, but i cant say ive ever had a problem with their fans failing.

ElehemEare posted:

Please, elaborate.
The fans themselves break down pretty quick in my experience and sample size of 5 out of 6 and they're not easily replaceable and whatever LP junk I throw on there works a lot better anyhow.

The heatsink itself seems to have improved by virtue of being 4 times as large but I'm still wary of the fan on those things actually lasting if they're still using bottom-tier sleeve bearings.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The fans themselves break down pretty quick in my experience and sample size of 5 out of 6 and they're not easily replaceable and whatever LP junk I throw on there works a lot better anyhow.

The heatsink itself seems to have improved by virtue of being 4 times as large but I'm still wary of the fan on those things actually lasting if they're still using bottom-tier sleeve bearings.

I'm curious about your environment now. I've used Intel stock coolers on several desktops over the years, and sure they're noisy and can't handle any non-trivial overclock, but I haven't had a single one break.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea, ive installed thousands of them and seen plenty machines come back over the years but never for a bad intel fan. Even in the dirtiest of environments.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm curious about your environment now. I've used Intel stock coolers on several desktops over the years, and sure they're noisy and can't handle any non-trivial overclock, but I haven't had a single one break.
My room collects a ridiculous amount of dust for the airflow it gets (not much) which might not help for fans that have sleeve bearings exposed. I have a shop-vac in my room for this reason.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, ive installed thousands of them and seen plenty machines come back over the years but never for a bad intel fan. Even in the dirtiest of environments.

Exactly - I've only serviced a few hundred machines over the last ten years, but they're generally pretty dust-filled and poorly maintained, and I've seen -one- OEM Intel fan die.

It was on a 3.4 Pentium D, so that poor bastard was absolutely screaming, I assume :D

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

My room collects a ridiculous amount of dust for the airflow it gets (not much) which might not help for fans that have sleeve bearings exposed. I have a shop-vac in my room for this reason.

The only time I've seen intel fans fail like that was after the ashfall we had a few years back. The ash is like lapping compound from hell, and will basically skullfuck anything with moving bearing surfaces.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If you're using that shopvac to clean the fans, that would explain why your fans are failing at an abnormal rate.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

canyoneer posted:

If you're using that shopvac to clean the fans, that would explain why your fans are failing at an abnormal rate.
It's for the rest of my room, just the level of ambient dust is hilarious

Maybe I should invest in a dehumidifier

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
My motherboard, RAM, and cooler arrived today. Now to wait for CPU availability. :unsmith:

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Now Amazon has the 6600K

6700K remains an elusive, mysterious white whale that I'll never live to see.

Edit: decided to do a test build without the CPU just to make sure everything fit and the Noctua DH15 blocks the GPU in a Maximus VIII Gene :negative:

Edit edit: Aug 31st is the date some sites are reporting getting the 6700's in stock. The 14th was what I saw from these same sites getting the 6600's and it was right, so 31st is probably going to turn out right too. Two more weeks until I can finish my build :smith:

Botnit fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 15, 2015

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I'm surprised to see them go back to that orb style cooler, a simple heatpipe tower is way more efficient and I'm sure they could get someone to rebrand for them if they didn't want to design it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Their orb coolers work perfectly fine. Not broke don't fix it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Botnit posted:

Edit: decided to do a test build without the CPU just to make sure everything fit and the Noctua DH15 blocks the GPU in a Maximus VIII Gene :negative:
That cooler's loving nuts, and probably useless given Skylake's low OCing ability.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Was idly poking at their site today, and Falcon no longer offers Haswell builds, just Skylake and Haswell-E. It is to laugh.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ElehemEare posted:

If 3dMark started giving score/W, enthusiasts might finally accept this as the current biggest driver of chip development but until that happens you're just going to have to keep listening to people complain about the gigahertz.

Heh, because getting non-K chips at higher stock clocks, higher IPC, less power and better chipsets at the same price isn't progress. "But I can't overclock those so I have to spend an equivalent of a 850 Evo 500GB more to get my *free OC performance*"

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 16, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Palladium posted:

Heh, because getting non-K chips at higher stock clocks, higher IPC, less power and better chipsets at the same price isn't progress. "But I can't overclock those so I have to spend an equivalent of a 850 Evo 500GB more to get my *free OC performance*"

This has been my biggest problem with overclocking... it's just not worth the effort or cost anymore. You get maybe 5% improvement, and even that isn't worth even an hour of my time anymore. I'd rather just spend more on the CPU and use it hassle free, or invest in other areas (SSDs, RAM, etc).

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Skandranon posted:

This has been my biggest problem with overclocking... it's just not worth the effort or cost anymore. You get maybe 5% improvement, and even that isn't worth even an hour of my time anymore. I'd rather just spend more on the CPU and use it hassle free, or invest in other areas (SSDs, RAM, etc).

Don't forget you can also spend less on the motherboard if you're going to skip overclocking.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Buy a non-overclocking board, get the top end i7, turn on "multicore enhancement", bam.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

LiquidRain posted:

Buy a non-overclocking board, get the top end i7, turn on "multicore enhancement", bam.

Some of those "enthusiasts" actually thinks pairing a 4790K with a <$70 non-Z board is a travesty, when they already provide more than enough features for most people looking for a general purpose gaming PC. Even 4 DIMMs now are a pretty worthless feature when you can have cheap 8GB sticks.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 16, 2015

cycleback
Dec 3, 2004
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
Any estimates/rumors when Skylake-E or Skylake HEDT with higher core counts are coming out?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

cycleback posted:

Any estimates/rumors when Skylake-E or Skylake HEDT with higher core counts are coming out?

All up in the air, we don't even know for sure if Broadwell-E exists. If they stick to normal schedule, Broadwell-E later this year and Skylake-E in late 2016. We'll get more info when it's closer.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/asustek-and-intel-confirm-global-shortage-of-intel-skylake-microprocessors/

My speculation is too much existing Haswell inventory and/or 14nm is still a yield clusterfuck.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 16, 2015

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Palladium posted:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/asustek-and-intel-confirm-global-shortage-of-intel-skylake-microprocessors/

My speculation is too much existing Haswell inventory and/or 14nm is still a yield clusterfuck.

I "think" it's "annoying" how that "article" puts all "processor names" in "quotes" and how that "interrupts" the "reading flow".

I never thought we'd see the day when CPUs would become family heirlooms, but here we are.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 17, 2015

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I will be "passing down" my 2500k to my "wife"* once "Intel" puts out a "CPU" worth "bothering with"**

But in all seriousness I'm real curious as to how the i5-5675c will turn out price-wise. With the 5770c actually beating the 6700k in gaming, if the i5 actually shows up <$300 or so like its MSRP suggests, that'd seem like the optimum price:performance point for gamers. 128MB L4 cache for all my friends!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The new motherboards have some neat features on them, and the differences on CPU performance are like low single figures of a percent so.....I still can't make myself care about CPU performance. I'll probably snag Skylake in a few months when Windows 10 has had some stress testing by the masses to iron out some of the no doubt major kinks, just to pick up some USB C and the like. I honestly can't imagine a new CPU lighting my world on fire for the next few years, they are rapidly pushing the limits of the material and need to ramp up something new. And considering how tied PC gaming is to console gaming by and large, I sincerely doubt anything is going to be pushing the limits of what we have on the CPU side anytime soon.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What bothers me more about the new mainboards is the rather anemic amount of USB 3.1 ports. If they're backwards compatible, shouldn't the boards be littered with them to drive adoption?

DrDork posted:

128MB L4 cache for all my friends!
Are there definitive benchmarks showing that it makes a difference?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 17, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'littered'. Even most of the itx boards I've seen have a couple [Generally an A and a C], and the most I've seen is 6 3.1 slots on the ASUS Deluxe board. The majority of them have them except for the extreme budget options. That's a pretty good way to push adoption.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Combat Pretzel posted:

What bothers me more about the new mainboards is the rather anemic amount of USB 3.1 ports. If they're backwards compatible, shouldn't the boards be littered with them to drive adoption?

Because Intel really hates the free market for supporting USB3.x to make their Thunderbolt DOA, and they are still clinging onto false hope that USB3 would eventually just drop dead and die, so people will simply replace their free DVI cables with $50 TB ones (LOL nope).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Combat Pretzel posted:

TechReport's review has the 5775C in the mix. It generally beats out the 6700k at anything gaming related by small margins, but is ~20% slower in the non-gaming CPU tasks (compression, mostly). That's at stock clocks, of course, and it doesn't look like Skylake is gonna do much in the way of overclocking.

Mind you, it's not a night-and-day boost to gaming, so there's probably a lot to be said for the other benefits of the Skylake ecosystem in comparison. Still, sad that the 6700k loses out to a similarly-priced 65W chip from a few months back.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Palladium posted:

Because Intel really hates the free market for supporting USB3.x to make their Thunderbolt DOA, and they are still clinging onto false hope that USB3 would eventually just drop dead and die, so people will simply replace their free DVI cables with $50 TB ones (LOL nope).
Meanwhile TB3 runs as a USB3 alt mode :v:. Cabling wise there'll be passive 20Gbps cables along with the (presumably) expensive rear end active 40Gbps cables, and it's a moot point since for video TB cables aren't needed except for TB displays (all...two of them that exist?)

It'll be interesting to see if USB-C gets any traction monitor side so you could just use a regular cable instead of adapters.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's pretty amazing that a chip @ 3.3 base / 3.7 turbo can keep up with two 4.0 base / 4.2 and 4.4 turbo CPUs in games. That's a pretty serious clock deficit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Palladium posted:

Or because USB3.1 functionality is provided via external controllers like Alpine Ridge or ASM1142

If you want USB3.0, which Intel apparently hates, you can get up to 10 ports depending on how your manufacturer wants to set things up