Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Burkion posted:

So I've mentioned this a time or two before, here and there. I am working on getting a comic series started based on Power Rangers, and of course Super Sentai. The title of the book is proposed to be The Lightning Brigade (Or The Lightning Brigade 5, LB5 for short)

I've found an artist who might be up for working on it in two months when his schedule clears, and if he is we'll be attempting to shop it around to various comic companies. It's not a sure thing, as anything could come up, but the artist in question can be found here- http://www.davidfernandezartist.com/ If you look around his work, you'll find he's not shy about doing Sentai/Ranger inspired stuff.

Would you guys care to hear about this project? Tell me how it sounds as the general audience for this kind of thing? If so I'll drop the basics of the plot and some short spoiler free character bios down. If not ah well.

I for one would love to hear about it. I always like reading about the formation of these kind of projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I guess I should first start with where this came from.

The core story of Lightning Brigade is one of a group of youths who use alien technology to combat other worldly threats, even as that conflict begins to erode on their very humanity.

The Lightning Brigade is meant for older fans, but I fully expect anyone to really be able to pick it up. Some of the more disturbing themes and ideas will largely be lost on the younger crowd, who'd be drawn into the larger than life characters and villains- at least if I do my job right anyways. This whole thing started in 2004, when I was first getting back into Power Rangers- I had lost the show when it jumped from Fox to Disney with Wild Force and could never really get into Ninja Storm.

At the time I was remembering the older seasons and how much I loved them, how I'd love to do my own take on it. A more...for lack of a better term, 'realistic' take. After doing some work on it I realized that it really didn't match Power Rangers, or even a tone Power Rangers should strive for, so I decided to change it to something original. Thus Lightning Ronin was born! ...that name got changed as I got older.

A lot of things changed as I got older, mostly because I was an idiot then. Which is fine, we all are. The bones of the story that dumb 13 year old me came up with, though, are still there.

Now one thing I feel like I REALLY need to address is that 'realistic' thing. I do not mean that in a 'they're government soldiers who wear maybe colored arm bands and fight really boring aliens' kind of way.

What I mean by that is that I'm taking unrealistic things, and putting them into a realistic setting and seeing how things change. How would the world react to five young adults who have the power to wipe out cities and appear anywhere on Earth when ever they feel like? How would alien societies view them? What could have brought such things into existence? So I thought through these things, went into what I wanted to do with the armor, all that fun stuff.

The Earth is meant to resemble ours, just twisted by the events that have plagued it. Instead of a United Nations, there is an almost global governing force the Supreme United Nations, with their own military taskforce. (yes, the S.U.N. Taskforce) The villains, with one notable exception, are meant to be more human, understandable. They're not Evil, they have reasons for what they do, even if some are obscured.

On the flip side the villains are all colorful and varied, from pig demon butchers named Hatchet Hog, to Bee humanoid soldiers named Sophie the Stinger- the contrast is important to me. The balance is important. Keeping things sincere and straight forward, even in the face of admittedly ridiculous concepts, is key. That's one reason why I sought out David as the artist.

The heroes armor, for example, is meant to be actually quite bright and colorful. The current idea is that the armor will be comprised kind of like the Halo armor, only without the need of looking realistic. A body suit with armor plating on top. The body suit will be a chrome color of what that Brigadier is, (Red, Pink, Black, so on) while the armor on top of the body suit will be a darker shade (Maroon, Purple, B....lack. loving Jordan)

To fit with the realistic setting, there is a reason for the colors in universe. They each represent a different wavelength of energy that we visualize as a certain color. Red is Kinetic Force, Pink is Heat, Black is Explosive. Through that they have different physical abilities. Red has the strongest upper body, Pink is the middle ground, Black is the most durable.

To add to that fun, inspired by more recent Sentai, the Brigadier are able to swap their armor layers with one another- they retain the chrome colored body suit but get the different colored armor. So you could have black on pink, or purple on red.

And it's kind of a rabbit hole from there. I could likely spend pages talking about how I've defined the armor and all the bullshit related to it and how it affects them as people and all that. Instead I'll talk about three of the heroes and villains we're going to meet in Brigade to close this out. For note, literally all of the characters who will appear in battle have extended subtitles along with their normal names. These subtitles will likely never come up in the story proper, but...seriously that's one of my favorite goofy things about old school Sentai. Why wouldn't I try to emulate it?

Lightning Brigadier Black, Jordan Arnez- The leader by default, Jordan is the most detached from his humanity. Having possibly suffered the most of any of the team, he is the quickest to violence and conflict, often acting despite knowing the consequences- yet his inhuman devotion to stopping danger, almost twisted enjoyment of combat, and tackling alien threats is also what makes him the only one who fills the leader role.

Lightning Brigadier Pink, Anna Ferguson- Anna has had her armor longer than anyone else still alive, having joined a year before Jordan and Rick. By all right she should be the leader, a role she reluctantly takes up at times, but she is filled with self loathing and is generally bitter- detached from humanity, but not able to embrace her armor like Jordan has, which she views as the source of her troubles. This makes her unwilling to lead the team at first. She is the most driven to save others, as she refuses to let anyone end up like herself.

Lightning Brigadier Red, Rick Damon- Rick is the last of the original trio. He is bullheaded, brash, and cocky. He is also the middle ground compared to Anna and Jordan- where Anna has distanced herself too far and Jordan has immersed himself too much in their armors, Rick has obtained a kind of balance. This weird status quo isn't as good as it may appear on the surface, as he barely takes anything seriously, leading to him making mistakes, which he then laughs off. This coupled with him acting like a dumb rear end and often selfish concerns leads to many conflicts with the others. He does not have the issues of Jordan or Anna, but neither does he have their drive.

Scheming Parasitic Invader, The Bonethief - The Bonethief is the first agent sent by the Neo Damocles. He is a member of a nasty parasite species that could, with time, wipe out entire populations in favor of their own. They invade organic hosts, eradicate the organs in the chest cavity, and seize control of the nervous system and brain. There, they move their hosts as puppets, and generate a virus from the DNA to infect others and transform them into the Dead Risen, short lived plague zombies.

Solar Super Avian, Maximilian Pyre - The Pyre is a mystical firebird, a massive creature, that is brought to the Earth by outside forces. Normally dwelling within stars or super heated planets, the Pyre's very presence is a massive threat to the planet, regardless of if she is hostile or not. She is encountered in the antarctic by the Lightning Brigade in issue 2 and is the first giant foe they face.

Unrivaled Fighting Machine, Red Alone - A long inactive, ancient android built for a war that has long since ended. Red Alone is reactivated by the power of the Maximilian Pyre, and is a key to the origins of the Brigadier armor, hailing from the same war that forged them. He has a distinct knowledge of the team, and is compelled to continue his mission, even though it now seems so pointless. A dark mirror of what the heroes could become, and the first truly personal threat they must face.

So uh, that's...a lot of words about what I have planned and some brief character stuff.

Let me know what you all think. Good or bad.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I've been pecking at a mini-series of my own for the past couple years. It all stemmed from trying to figure out why hordes of aliens, mutants, and other monsters would travel from the far reaches of space and time and dark dimensions and wherever else to attack the one city that they know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is protected by the one force in the universe that can stop them.

Have you looked into any of the other Super Sentai/Power Rangers/Voltron(-esque) comics out there? Tokusatsu on the whole seems like a genre custom built for the medium, but there's a surprising dearth of material. I thought Warren Ellis' Tokyo Storm Warning started pretty strong, but kind of ended with a a wet fart. Shogun Warriors and Giant Robo Warrior Maintenance Crew are both on my list to read next. Then there's the official MMPR stuff, I guess, though it looks a little dire.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inkspot posted:

I've been pecking at a mini-series of my own for the past couple years. It all stemmed from trying to figure out why hordes of aliens, mutants, and other monsters would travel from the far reaches of space and time and dark dimensions and wherever else to attack the one city that they know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is protected by the one force in the universe that can stop them.

Have you looked into any of the other Super Sentai/Power Rangers/Voltron(-esque) comics out there? Tokusatsu on the whole seems like a genre custom built for the medium, but there's a surprising dearth of material. I thought Warren Ellis' Tokyo Storm Warning started pretty strong, but kind of ended with a a wet fart. Shogun Warriors and Giant Robo Warrior Maintenance Crew are both on my list to read next. Then there's the official MMPR stuff, I guess, though it looks a little dire.

Figuring that first bit out was one of the key components that helped me decide how I wanted the Brigade armor to work and why it was created. I'm always very curious to see how others come to their own conclusions on essentially the same problem.

Sadly, yeah, tokustasu in comic form is shockingly just...not there. You'd think these kinds of super over the top stories with fantastic concepts and ideas built in would lend themselves to comics, and yet... I've read all of the Power Ranger comics, and oddly enough most of them don't really handle the transition to comic format well. The most recent stuff is also paradoxically more kids show than MMPR was, which is quite the feat. I think the main issue is that people who make these kinds of comics go the wrong kind of direction with what makes toku heroes so great.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

Figuring that first bit out was one of the key components that helped me decide how I wanted the Brigade armor to work and why it was created. I'm always very curious to see how others come to their own conclusions on essentially the same problem.

Sadly, yeah, tokustasu in comic form is shockingly just...not there. You'd think these kinds of super over the top stories with fantastic concepts and ideas built in would lend themselves to comics, and yet... I've read all of the Power Ranger comics, and oddly enough most of them don't really handle the transition to comic format well. The most recent stuff is also paradoxically more kids show than MMPR was, which is quite the feat. I think the main issue is that people who make these kinds of comics go the wrong kind of direction with what makes toku heroes so great.

Have there been any comics/manga based on Super Sentai other than that one Jetman sequel that never got translated? I know Kamen Rider had a couple.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Have there been any comics/manga based on Super Sentai other than that one Jetman sequel that never got translated? I know Kamen Rider had a couple.

Comics, no. Manga I'm not as sure about but I know that if there are any, they haven't been translated. The closest you tend to get with manga are either just parodies, or stuff more like Voltron/Go-Lion, which technically resemble Sentai, but really aren't.

Guyver is likely the best tokusatsu manga I've read besides Kamen Rider Spirits, and it's not exactly got a good release schedule.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Samurai Flamenco was originally an anime, but they did make a manga of it.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Larryb posted:

that one Jetman sequel that never got translated

GUIS translated it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dr Tran posted:

GUIS translated it.

Oh, I stand corrected then. If anyone wants to check it out it's available here.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Aug 15, 2015

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

I hated Operation Overdrive a lot less then I thought I would.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Chroma Squad is really cool. I've only played through once, but I just adored the endless references to Power Rangers and Super Sentai with the healthy dashes of random other things.

I could listen to Lord Gaga's arena theme all day.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

XboxPants posted:

Samurai Flamenco was originally an anime, but they did make a manga of it.

Samurai Flamenco is also on Netflix.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Samurai Flamenco is also on Netflix.

Wow, really? It's pretty fantastic, especially if you'd like a sorta comedic, down to earth look at how a super sentai hero might play out in the real world.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
"We're filming the movie next year. Everything's top secret"

Jason David Frank on the movie.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

http://www.morphinlegacy.com/2015/08/mighty-morphin-reboot-casting-sides-found.html

So... these are the audition pages...... Morphin' Time would be a much richer dialogue choice than all those cliche drama monologues they're using.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
These are amazing and not in a good way

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Burkion posted:

These are amazing and not in a good way

The last two ones sorta work if you keep the actions the same, but change the dialogue to "It's Morphin' Time" over and over again.

Nothing can save The Big Bang Billy, tho. Bazoonga Time. :(

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I love Billy having a giant burning flare over his head that says "I am on the autism spectrum as understood by marketing executives".

Billy Read-Aloud posted:

You broke the speed limit driving here and it's not even legal to drive this vehicle on the street. I'm not asking you to do anything you don't already do.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

MEET AT THE SONIC!!!!!!!!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

If they throw a swerve and play this as a comedy then it could work. Like if Billy is simply a huge Sheldon fanboy and tries to imitate him, his social issues are mostly from him being a redditor or something.

Just imagine three teens, crying their asses off, shouting how "What if the world doesn't have a place for meeeeee?!" "I look in the mirror and I dunno if i'm good enough!" "If I don't do everything the exact right way every time my mommy dieeeeeeeeeeed" while lights go off everywhere and buttrock plays because they won't notice they're morphing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If they throw a swerve and play this as a comedy then it could work. Like if Billy is simply a huge Sheldon fanboy and tries to imitate him, his social issues are mostly from him being a redditor or something.

Just imagine three teens, crying their asses off, shouting how "What if the world doesn't have a place for meeeeee?!" "I look in the mirror and I dunno if i'm good enough!" "If I don't do everything the exact right way every time my mommy dieeeeeeeeeeed" while lights go off everywhere and buttrock plays because they won't notice they're morphing.
So, an Akibaranger movie?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, an Akibaranger movie?

Yeah! The American Akibaranger movie, featuring people that are clearly too old to be teenagers, put some 50-something year old has-been that's trying to get his career back together for the role of Jason. A cardboard cut-out of Arnold Schwerzenegger that's animated like canadians in south park for Zordon. And overly cheap onesies and plastic for the suits before they activate them via 'emotions' or whatever. It's the only way to save this film.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I finally got around to watching all of RPM on netflix and I really enjoyed it. But why do people whine so much about Gem & Gemma? Sure they're kinda manchildren but I'd imagine that the average person would act just like them if they got superpowers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Testekill posted:

I finally got around to watching all of RPM on netflix and I really enjoyed it. But why do people whine so much about Gem & Gemma? Sure they're kinda manchildren but I'd imagine that the average person would act just like them if they got superpowers.

People who complain about them clearly don't realize how psychopathic and unhinged they are. Which is a terrific part of their character and very subtle.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, they were planning to effectively nuke a Venjix factory from orbit on their own and happily. A Venjix factory that had a lot of human slaves trapped inside. That they knew about. This is just something they do without thinking or caring.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Burkion posted:

People who complain about them clearly don't realize how psychopathic and unhinged they are. Which is a terrific part of their character and very subtle.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, they were planning to effectively nuke a Venjix factory from orbit on their own and happily. A Venjix factory that had a lot of human slaves trapped inside. That they knew about. This is just something they do without thinking or caring.

Yeah, they're essentially a foil to Doctor K herself. They all grew up in an organisation where they never really were able to be functional adults and then Gem & Gemma were prisoners on top of that and had been fending for themselves in a wasteland. Is it any wonder why they're unhinged and the first option the jump to is to explode everything?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Testekill posted:

Yeah, they're essentially a foil to Doctor K herself. They all grew up in an organisation where they never really were able to be functional adults and then Gem & Gemma were prisoners on top of that and had been fending for themselves in a wasteland. Is it any wonder why they're unhinged and the first option the jump to is to explode everything?

For a PR or sentai series, it's relatively dark on the side of the protagonists. It's very much on par with Kamen Rider though

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I love the Knight dude, his team would've been better than the Megaforce cast even.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I love the Knight dude, his team would've been better than the Megaforce cast even.
That's not a super high bar to set.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

My fiancée and I and a few of our friends are determined to cosplay as the Knights of Amber Beach at Morphicon.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Dekarangers and Ninningers dancing:

https://www.facebook.com/HeroShock/videos/920545788000048/

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So is Dekaranger Returns happening then?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Cliff Racer posted:

So is Dekaranger Returns happening then?

In addition to Dekaranger blu-rays

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I should watch Dekaranger.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

mikeycp posted:

I should watch Dekaranger.

Over-Time is subbing it!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Some Numbers posted:

Over-Time is subbing it!

I know. I just haven't gotten around to putting it in front of my eyeballs.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

This is Sen-chan's thinking pose. :negative:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

http://comicbook.com/2015/10/03/these-young-actors-are-testing-for-the-new-power-rangers-movie/

We got some names for actors testing out the roles of Zack, Jason and Kimberly. Basically the article showcases the eight whitest people out there.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The black ranger not being black is dumb, idc what the PC outrage crew says

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If you're gonna make the black ranger a white guy to avoid another outcry of racism you should also make the red ranger a black guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Or at least keep the season two switcharoo.