Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Here's a time-lapse video I made of a couple sketches I did this morning. I was going to do more but I bumped the tripod and ruined the rest of the pictures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLjatujvncM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Here's a gif.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

smallmouth posted:

Here's a gif.

Dr. Dragan David Dabić!? I like the drawing but your numerous crimes against humanity are reprehensible, I'm sorry.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

a hole-y ghost posted:

Dr. Dragan David Dabić!? I like the drawing but your numerous crimes against humanity are reprehensible, I'm sorry.

You sound like you need some healing, my son. Send three payments of $19.99 to....

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 21, 2015

pastorrich
Jun 7, 2008

Keep on truckin' like a novacane hurricane
I made this for an agency.

http://imgur.com/KK7TopA

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The model's dress looked like a Star Trek uniform, so I ran with it.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Ballpoint and Gelly Roll pen on toned paypa

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Zoben posted:

Ballpoint and Gelly Roll pen on toned paypa

This is great!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

sigma 6 posted:

This is great!
Thanks! I'm digging the heightened drawing stuff these days.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

gross faces

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

I should probably take lessons at some point. Drawing really helps me relax..

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012
I painted an oil painting, but I wasn't too concerned about the fat over lean. I mostly used oil straight from the tube, and sometimes with added linseed oil to soften it up.

How long does it take, worst case, before I start seeing cracks and damage? roughly

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

TheNBucket posted:

I painted an oil painting, but I wasn't too concerned about the fat over lean. I mostly used oil straight from the tube, and sometimes with added linseed oil to soften it up.

How long does it take, worst case, before I start seeing cracks and damage? roughly
I keep hearing about fat over lean and I'm never actually sure what it means. Mediums also confuse me a lot. Like I was taught to use turpenoid for quick brush cleaning so that it didn't mix with other oil paints I might be using. Is that considered a medium? How do you even apply mediums? Is it experimental? I just don't know.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
A medium is anything you mix with straight up paint, so yeah, technically even turpentine can be a medium. But usually the term refers to things you mix with the paint before putting it on the canvas. That can be any number of combinations of solvents, other oils, varnish, and weird crap.

Fat over lean is pretty literal: you put the oiliest stuff (heavy impasto, straight out of tube buttery paint) on top of layers that have been thinned with solvents or other non-fat crud.

A typical process would be:
- start with a very thin scrubbed imprimatura of mostly turps with a little paint just to tone the canvas. This is almost like painting with watercolor because it's so thin. It dries really quickly, like within minutes.
- then a layer of underpainting, where the paint is thinned with turps but not as thin as the imprimatura.
- then most of your painting proper. Paint thinned a little, or extended with linseed oil, or mixed with some combination of fatty and solventy additives.
- then more opaque layers, less thinned out than previously, etc.
- final opaque highlights, straight out of the tube paint on the top.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

neonnoodle posted:

A medium is anything you mix with straight up paint, so yeah, technically even turpentine can be a medium. But usually the term refers to things you mix with the paint before putting it on the canvas. That can be any number of combinations of solvents, other oils, varnish, and weird crap.

Fat over lean is pretty literal: you put the oiliest stuff (heavy impasto, straight out of tube buttery paint) on top of layers that have been thinned with solvents or other non-fat crud.

A typical process would be:
- start with a very thin scrubbed imprimatura of mostly turps with a little paint just to tone the canvas. This is almost like painting with watercolor because it's so thin. It dries really quickly, like within minutes.
- then a layer of underpainting, where the paint is thinned with turps but not as thin as the imprimatura.
- then most of your painting proper. Paint thinned a little, or extended with linseed oil, or mixed with some combination of fatty and solventy additives.
- then more opaque layers, less thinned out than previously, etc.
- final opaque highlights, straight out of the tube paint on the top.
Yooo thanks man. I've been struggling with this process for a while and this is like, the first time it was clearly explained.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

more eyes

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012
So far I've not used turps to thin it out, because of the fumes. Instead I start out with 'straight-from-tube' and eventually I use more and more linseed oil mixed into it.
I'm not sure if linseed oil + paint is thicker than just paint.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Any tips/criticism welcomed. Practicing lighting & shading/anatomy.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TheNBucket posted:

So far I've not used turps to thin it out, because of the fumes. Instead I start out with 'straight-from-tube' and eventually I use more and more linseed oil mixed into it.
I'm not sure if linseed oil + paint is thicker than just paint.

Adding linseed oil to paint will slow the drying time compared to paint out of the tube. Oil = Fat, it still follows the fat over lean rule. So yeah, you want your outer most layers to have the most oil, so sounds like you are doing it right.

Also you can use turpenoid, gamsol or other odorless mineral spirits to reduce your risk of fume related dangers if you want a turp alternative. It's nice to be able to start with a wash that dries quickly. If you want a medium that might be a good alternative for your initial layers, you can also try Galkyd. That will make your paint more fluid and hasten the drying time instead of slowing it like the linseed oil does.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 14, 2015

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

Adding linseed oil to paint will slow the drying time compared to paint out of the tube. Oil = Fat, it still follows the fat over lean rule. So yeah, you want your outer most layers to have the most oil, so sounds like you are doing it right.

Also you can use turpenoid, gamsol or other odorless mineral spirits to reduce your risk of fume related dangers if you want a turp alternative. It's nice to be able to start with a wash that dries quickly. If you want a medium that might be a good alternative for your initial layers, you can also try Galkyd. That will make your paint more fluid and hasten the drying time instead of slowing it like the linseed oil does.

I used to do Acryllic paintings, so I use acryllics for initial stages.

How do you clean your fingers properly? Water and soap plus alot of rubbing, or is there a good technique?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I use lava soap.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

TheNBucket posted:

I used to do Acryllic paintings, so I use acryllics for initial stages.

How do you clean your fingers properly? Water and soap plus alot of rubbing, or is there a good technique?

I don't know if there's a "proper" way, I just use soap. I've used the pumice stuff and the little hand scrubbers and those are nice as well as the brush soap, but I think even reg soap should work in a pinch if you don't mind washing your hands a few times. I use liquid glove before I paint so I like to think that helps make clean up easier but I can't really tell half the time if that stuff even works.

I believe someone in the thread mentioned that certain plastic gloves work pretty well so I think I might give those a try. But that's less for easy clean up and more the fact that I want to cut my exposure to stuff like cadmium/lead and all the other heavy metals that some of the good pigments are made out of. Though I imagine that would make cleaning your hands pretty easy at least.

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009
Oils.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

My friend's guinea pig died, so I made her a card.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
You forgot the spear driven through the ribs (with fluid coming out)

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.
I'm a total novice with art, but I've been painting as a way to relax and deal with stress from my job. I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

Currently I'm working on a painting of the US Capitol building. I would love to hear some feedback other than "that looks so great, honey!"

If there is a better thread for that, my apologies, I'm happy to post somewhere else.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

CobwebMustardseed posted:

I'm a total novice with art, but I've been painting as a way to relax and deal with stress from my job. I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

Currently I'm working on a painting of the US Capitol building. I would love to hear some feedback other than "that looks so great, honey!"

If there is a better thread for that, my apologies, I'm happy to post somewhere else.

Nah this is the thread. I'd say that your biggest problem is sense of perspective, you need more shading to introduce perspective. You should watch some Bob Ross, legitimately really intelligent guy and can give really good tips. The biggest thing he seems to bring up is that you're creating an illusion, you're recreating an image to the best of your abilities so there are techniques and tricks that you can pull to really bring that together. His ability to make amazing landscapes will also help with your really flat backdrop of the sky and grass.

deadlysweet
Nov 30, 2011
So glad I found this thread, love seeing more traditional artists! I do traditional watercolor tattoo flash pieces!

http://imgur.com/gallery/n6aukQQ

deadlysweet fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 20, 2015

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012
I'm bad at painting faces, and I'm even worse at doing skin colors, so I decided to go portrait painting lite with a painting of a sculpture of a face.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

A couple pieces I just submitted to my local state fair Native American arts building. I've had a difficult time showing things just from anxiety, so I pushed myself to submit.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Watercolor on the beach.

TheNBucket
Oct 29, 2012
Is that beach painted from life, photograf or memory/imagination?

It's really nice

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

CobwebMustardseed posted:

Here's a challenge: Pick up a copy of Perspective Made Easy by E. Norling and work through the entire book, then do this painting again and compare the two. Also share it with us! I'm betting there will be a marked improvement

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Study in oil.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

TheNBucket posted:

Is that beach painted from life, photograf or memory/imagination?

It's really nice

Thank you. It was painted on the beach. Missing a lot of the people but they ... uh... move a lot. Amazing how many people who walked by and wanted to buy it for 10-20 bucks.

My friend next to me painted this one. In the time I painted one, he had painted three.

He keeps telling me to not be so precious about the details. It is a hard habit to break. Watercolor is difficult for so many reasons, but at least it dries fast on the beach.

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Spilling drinks on my sketchbook again...

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

I like this gorilla. Good work!

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax

Should I let this dry? I think I should wait for it to dry before I go in with the layer proper.

GentlemanBrofro fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Apparently, Higgins and I have different definitions for "Permanent Black Ink"