Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Sage Grimm posted:

Edit: When did Botania add a mana tank railcar? That's so ridiculous, I love the idea of it.

that's been there for a while, and it is unironically the right choice for transporting mana over arbitrarily long distances

you do need to be decent at redstone to use it well though I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I miss the thaumcraft addon that adds amber wands and everfull urns, those things were the best.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Magres posted:

What do pink slime crossbows do? I've never played at all with the more, uh, exotic TiC materials. If you can't do the pink slime crossbow, definitely try the Bone Bow from Thaumcraft. With the Osmotic Enchanter in Thaumic Tinkerer, you can put any enchants you want on a bow and make it self-repairing with infinite arrows, rapid fire (like 3 charged arrows a second), maxed power, and it'll light things on fire. It's reaaally nice

Basically they fire stupid fast. Level them up all the way and load it with haste and you get a machine gun, it rules. The idea is that slime is best for bow limbs because it's stretchy or whatever, and the stats go green -> blue -> pink as pink requires MFR infrastructure to even get at all.

In previous packs my favorite tinker weapons were pink slime crossbows and (high end material of your choice) shurikens. Auto repair on the bolts + shurikens of course and they refill their own ammo.

Talonos
Aug 11, 2015

To get out of the Last Millennium, right click the portal in the middle of the spawn platform. It should respawn you in the "Dimensional recovery" room of the Jaded, which is normally inaccessible. Also about the Last Millennium, Enjoy the goodies Xillith gives you, he'll give you an extra box once per day, but the stuff in the chest and the bookshelf is a one-time boon. Killing Xillith is hard but possible; he gives you good stuff as drops (but then will never give you boxes again, because he is dead.)

I made a pink slime crossbow last playtest. Slime embiggening syringes are useful to get the most out of your pink slime.

Edit: Oh hey I have an avatar now. Thanks, whoever did that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Light Gun Man posted:

Basically they fire stupid fast. Level them up all the way and load it with haste and you get a machine gun, it rules. The idea is that slime is best for bow limbs because it's stretchy or whatever, and the stats go green -> blue -> pink as pink requires MFR infrastructure to even get at all.

In previous packs my favorite tinker weapons were pink slime crossbows and (high end material of your choice) shurikens. Auto repair on the bolts + shurikens of course and they refill their own ammo.

Ugh, the problem is the ammo. Blightfall has iquanatweaks but makes everything level up incredibly slowly...also ammo is incredibly short supply. A cheap set of bolts with an iron-iron core gave me a 24 max stack, bolts with prometheum-mithril (heavy shaft, high damage head hopefully) core gave me a 40 max stack.

Just level up thaumcraft for your ranged (wand) weapon of choice. Or a bone bow.

Edit: Ugh, just realized I needed nether quartz to make node stabilizers. :suicide:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Alkydere posted:

Edit: Ugh, just realized I needed nether quartz to make node stabilizers. :suicide:

and a golemancer's bell :gonk:

guess i am going to that desert soon, daddy needs his autofarm

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Quartz is all over the place in the desert, not hard to find. Certus crystals on the other hand...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Demiurge4 posted:

Quartz is all over the place in the desert, not hard to find. Certus crystals on the other hand...

i actually found a fair number of those just mining around underneath dome alpha and swamp and I strangely have equal numbers of charged vs uncharged

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
So how many custom mods went into the situation room of the Jaded alone? :stare:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Talonos posted:

To get out of the Last Millennium, right click the portal in the middle of the spawn platform. It should respawn you in the "Dimensional recovery" room of the Jaded, which is normally inaccessible. Also about the Last Millennium, Enjoy the goodies Xillith gives you, he'll give you an extra box once per day, but the stuff in the chest and the bookshelf is a one-time boon. Killing Xillith is hard but possible; he gives you good stuff as drops (but then will never give you boxes again, because he is dead.)

I made a pink slime crossbow last playtest. Slime embiggening syringes are useful to get the most out of your pink slime.

Edit: Oh hey I have an avatar now. Thanks, whoever did that.

I can't click on anything. Maybe it's a multiplayer bug? I'm just frozen in place in the void. There's no platform.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Can someone walk me through what would be involved in replacing a server map in BFSR? We seem to have got a broken terain gen, and there's only one biome for literally thousands of blocks in any direction. I have a world I've generated in single player that looks good, and I can easily port our house over in MCEdit, but what other files do I need to swap, if any? The biggest thing is not losing the quest book progress, followed by player inventories and the contents of chests.

Oh, and random BFSR feedback - it's not obvious to newbies that nickel is the same as ferrous, and shiny is the same as platinum. It would probably be best to remove all references to one or the other name, although I realise that could be a massive pain.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Wolfsbane posted:

Can someone walk me through what would be involved in replacing a server map in BFSR? We seem to have got a broken terain gen, and there's only one biome for literally thousands of blocks in any direction. I have a world I've generated in single player that looks good, and I can easily port our house over in MCEdit, but what other files do I need to swap, if any? The biggest thing is not losing the quest book progress, followed by player inventories and the contents of chests.

Oh, and random BFSR feedback - it's not obvious to newbies that nickel is the same as ferrous, and shiny is the same as platinum. It would probably be best to remove all references to one or the other name, although I realise that could be a massive pain.

I can't speak with confidence for the map swap, but I'll investigate the metal naming. I'd probably just mention both. Something like that is why I'd really, really, really love the HQM data to be externally editable. I have to pore through all the entries from inside the game and hope I find where they are referenced.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I don't think they're referenced directly in HQM, but they're needed for an induction smelter in the steel quest. The player I'm trying this out on couldn't figure out how to make invar because NEI was telling him he needed nickel ore, and all he has was this ferrous poo poo.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

why the gently caress is it even called "ferrous" to begin with

especially when it is considered "nickel" ore

ferrous means "made of iron" :ramsay:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Nickel is ferromagnetic, but then so is cobalt, so gently caress knows :iiam:

e: If I remember right nickel and ferrous were originally from two different modpacks (IC and TE maybe?) and they only became synonymous fairly recently. I'm sure there's a mod historian around here somewhere...

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I like "Shiny Metal." Why yes metal does, in fact, tend to be shiny. What is special about this variety?

Yes I know that it's actually platinum but it still amuses me. Call the metal shiny to differentiate it from all the non-shiny metal. That there is so much of.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I like "Shiny Metal." Why yes metal does, in fact, tend to be shiny. What is special about this variety?

Yes I know that it's actually platinum but it still amuses me. Call the metal shiny to differentiate it from all the non-shiny metal. That there is so much of.

New Ingot type: Malleable Metal.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ductile Ingot

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Magres posted:

I was writing up a big, probably overly detailed guide to it, cause I was hoping to make it as newbie friendly as I could and assume whoever's doing it knows little/no thaumcraft because it's something you should get done as early as possible, but that is kind of hard to figure out unless you've done a lot of thaumcraft.

If anyone's interested, I can keep writing up stuff.

Do it.

Some of us are very bad.

E: Speaking of which, I am very bad at Blightfall, so I'll probably stop now. There's nothing wrong with it; it's a great pack. I'm just lovely at it. If there was a server, I'd be happy to sharecrop for my team, because I like putzing around like that. It's why I loved Regrowth.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 14, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
We should just have 30 different ores named "metal ore." Seven of them should all be tin.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Minecraft Modding: Everyone's Obsessed With Blightfall

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Serifina posted:

Minecraft Modding: Everyone's Obsessed With Blightfall

blightfall is pretty cool you should check it out :yaycloud:

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Glory of Arioch posted:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Glory of Arioch posted:

But in doing so, you should edit spice of life's config to be a bit more sane.

Edit: does anyone know which will take dominance if I stick a tainted node in my dome? The node or any silverleaf/ethereal blooms?

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 15, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Alkydere posted:

But in doing so, you should edit spice of life's config to be a bit more sane.

If by bit more sane you mean turn it off entirely. Hunger Is Dumb~

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

We should just have 30 different ores named "metal ore." Seven of them should all be tin.

Minecraft modding in a nutshell. Why, for the love of all things holy, are there modpacks with seven varieties of copper, five varieties of tin, and six aluminums, none of which stack with each other and are all functionally identical? Like I can get if a mod wants their own form of unobtanium to make all the crap for but we don't need 27 varieties of copper.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Minecraft modding in a nutshell. Why, for the love of all things holy, are there modpacks with seven varieties of copper, five varieties of tin, and six aluminums, none of which stack with each other and are all functionally identical? Like I can get if a mod wants their own form of unobtanium to make all the crap for but we don't need 27 varieties of copper.

Because it is relatively easy to mash a bunch of mods together with their assorted ores, but takes a little forethought to winnow those ores down. And even if you break it down to one ore, they process into different metals depending on how you process it. Only thing I can think of right now is to load a player with like 3 MFR unifiers on spawn.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm not going to go too far into it, but once upon a time (see also, right now in some circles) modders didn't believe it was okay for their mod to be bundled in with other mods, so they made them in such a manner that their specific ores and machines were flagged as being different from other ores and machines, even if they were functionally identical. For more information and supplementary material, please look up ModWars: The Definitive Treatise On The Great Modder's Rights Flame-War Of No One Gives A gently caress.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I haven't played a pack like this for a while. Most packs use cofh or metallurgy (well in 1.7.10 not really, in 1.6.x it was kinda popular) to fix up ore spawns to be one of each type.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
How does anyone play with any given modpack for any length of time? I've been using Direwolf20's FTB pack on the grounds that it must by definition be well-supported, and the recent update to it somehow broke my world such that my framerate goes to single digits if I'm within 100m of my base. I tried rolling back to the previous version of the mod but somehow all of my backups pick up from right after I loaded the world with the new version of the modpack which I don't understand at all how that happened.

This is like the twentieth time some version of this has happened to me -- everything's going along fine, I make the mistake of making a suggested update, and suddenly a couple of months' worth of stuff is lost. I'm the sucker for believing the thing when it told me it was backing stuff up, I guess.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So I went ahead and jarred the aero-messis node near Swap Delta teleport even though on my map it had been tainted by the time I grabbed it.

Turns out that it will start tainting your land right away the moment you unjar it, even if it's in a purified area. No real surprise. The (pleasant) surprise is that once the transducer gets ahold of it, it becomes an "energized node" which strips away any modifiers. Pure, pale, tainted, sinister, etc. So all you have to do is plop down a couple pure daisies or ethereal blooms to fix the couple of blocks that got tainted and you're done. Go ahead and grab yourself a tainted node to transduce if it's good (such as the aero-messis) as long as you plan to turn that transducer on ASAP.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Nevermind Slime for crossbows, use a Signalum limb. Much better draw speed and extremely fast arrow speed once it's all put together.

I mean, if you can get signalum to spare

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Once I clear an area of taint on the surface would having a huge square of wood slabs around it prevent fibrous taint from spreading back into the area, or do I need to keep ethereal blooms there?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Desperate Character posted:

Once I clear an area of taint on the surface would having a huge square of wood slabs around it prevent fibrous taint from spreading back into the area, or do I need to keep ethereal blooms there?

You need to change the biome of the tile to keep it clear. Slabs will prevent the taint from growing on that block, but it won't act as a "wall" to other areas if they're also considered "tainted lands" biome because fibers will spontaneously spawn on any tile with the "tainted lands" biome.

To permanently clear land you have to convert to its original biome with blooms or other taint clearing items.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
And it sounds like he's asking if after he does that, will slabs prevent the taint from spreading back if he moves the blooms away. Which is a good question.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Desperate Character posted:

It'll stop the fibrous taint from growing over the surface, but it won't stop it from growing through underground caves and corrupting your biome that way.

I'm 99% sure that fibrous taint won't spontaneously appear on blocks even in a tainted land biome, it has to either spread from adjacent fibrous taint, or get barfed up by a tainted sheep (when tainted sheep "eat grass" they're actually barfing fibrous taint on the ground). I made a small test platform of dirt and cobble near my base, floating a few blocks above the very very very tainted ground. F3 confirms they're definitely in a tainted biome, but the dirt hasn't become tainted soil, and neither the dirt nor the cobble has fibrous taint on them. They're right near my base so they're in a loaded chunk all the time. Moral of the story is unless you're trying to do something mob or crop related, feel free to have your base on a floating platform in a tainted biome.

Edit: Node chat: I'm not sure how it compares to this Messis node people are talking about, but there's a size 29 Fabrico (contains all aspects) node located at 541, 2010, under the spooky floating upside-down cone island thing. You can sail right up to it. Size 29 means it'll burn down to 5 Centi-Vis of all types.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 15, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

RickVoid posted:

And it sounds like he's asking if after he does that, will slabs prevent the taint from spreading back if he moves the blooms away. Which is a good question.

Ah, well if you can make a wall on every single cave and such, to bedwall, then yes it would be fine to remove the blooms. The problem really is the taint grows and spreads underground too. You can remove a purifying node/plant/item only if there's a perimeter of other purifying items preventing the taint from spreading back in. But once you're surrounded with purification you're good.

Meanwhile: Are there NO diamonds beneath biodome Beta? I've only seen one this entire game, that I got from looting a village, and I burned it on the "please send me vanilla 'ores' to analyze" quest.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 15, 2015

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

drunkencarp posted:

How does anyone play with any given modpack for any length of time? I've been using Direwolf20's FTB pack on the grounds that it must by definition be well-supported, and the recent update to it somehow broke my world such that my framerate goes to single digits if I'm within 100m of my base. I tried rolling back to the previous version of the mod but somehow all of my backups pick up from right after I loaded the world with the new version of the modpack which I don't understand at all how that happened.

This is like the twentieth time some version of this has happened to me -- everything's going along fine, I make the mistake of making a suggested update, and suddenly a couple of months' worth of stuff is lost. I'm the sucker for believing the thing when it told me it was backing stuff up, I guess.

Because most modpack creators don't give a poo poo I guess?
I don't know how FTB operates (outside of poorly) but I have to imagine they aren't as professional as some when it comes to maintaining modpacks and keeping in mind the amount of effort and time users put into their worlds. As far as I know, the trusted packs would be Agrarian Skies, Test Pack Please Ignore, and of course anything from Technic including a new modpack you might of heard of called Blightfall :smug: :smug: :smug: I do not know how close Direwolf is to his modpack.

ALSO Talonos has been working on a wiki as well for Blightfall:
http://wiki.technicpack.net/Your_First_Day(Blightfall)

Since he is Mr. Blightfall it's prolly p. good.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 15, 2015

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Glory of Arioch posted:

Oh, I'm not knocking it, I'm just laughing that the last like three hundred posts on this thread are all about Blightfall. Personally, I don't intend to play it - I find some of the mechanics involved too frustrating and I'd rather continue work on my Botania skyblock world. No taint there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Are there any quickly-accessible chests or other inventories in blightfall? Plain old double chests not stacking next to each other is one of those things that gives me fits :v:

(edit) New one apparently I can request a whole big reactor? Dang. Any reason not to do that right now?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 15, 2015