Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who shall win the Community Choice Award?!
This poll is closed.
Zero-Grab Kitty 13 10.57%
Go Fish! 4 3.25%
Sub Optimal 1 0.81%
All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert 15 12.20%
PZZL 8 6.50%
Coinless 1 0.81%
Conservation of Momentum 2 1.63%
Echo 4 3.25%
Critical Admission 4 3.25%
VectoRocket 9 7.32%
Impulse 34 27.64%
Sandlot Basenoball 1 0.81%
Slam Fighter II 27 21.95%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

sighnoceros posted:

Edit: :drat: I didn't mean to write that much. Guess I have some stuff ready for the site when the post-mortems are added.
To add a little bit more: I also pushed for a campaign mode, but that was partially because I thought I might be able to handle a chunk of the level designing to make that worthwhile. What I didn't consider was that Impulse's design meant that it gets a LOT more leverage out of an arena game, and replayability is a huge game changer for games of this size. In the future, when I come up with ideas for games, I think I'm going to start thinking about how they can be applied to a more replayable, simplified format.

In the end, I actually did end up getting to make one of the game's arenas, but that's pretty small compared to a fully-fledged level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

TheOrange posted:

I still think the basic mechanic of having the game world be paused but come alive as you activate it is good, I think you really just need to work on the general platforming physics and do something about the knockback. I was able to play it up until the 2nd level but I honestly couldn't see what I was supposed to do in order to progress (series of platforms you activate with a switch), my best thought was I needed to time something with the knockback and the enemy but that seemed way to finicky to be pulled off reliably.

The platform puzzle just involved paused when the platforms were low enough to reach. You ride the first platform up to the second, and then the second up to the third.

But yeah, the physics were... not the ones we wanted. Personally I ended up enjoying many aspects of the knockback (I thought it was fun to throw your way to victory to quickly get by several parts), and I wonder if the problem wasn't so much the knock back as the design of the first areas that lead the player to be knocked back so much? A more gradual ramp up in difficulty I think would have helped a lot I think. Do you think the knockback might not have been so bad if you had an easier time avoiding it to begin with? If it's just "no, the knockback is bad even if rarer", how do you think it should work?

The game itself was originally supposed to be three times as long, and there were supposed to be two "lead ups" to each of the element you saw in the game. The knockback also wasn't supposed to apply to the sides of lift or carriers, turrets, or the back of trucks. Just... a lack of time. So those would probably be the major things I'd change if I went back and put some more work into it.

Also, for those asking about the music, side effect of putting the credits at the end, hah, it's a free/open source piece by Alan Singley.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

GlyphGryph posted:

Would anyone be interested in seeing more work put into Broken, or is it more of a "played it, got the gimmick, game was frustrating gimmick was neat but wouldn't play again" sort of thing?
Fix your platforming physics, and only make it so "damaging" objects cause knockback to the player rather than everything. I figure these are things you're already well aware of, but they're very, very important to the game being an enjoyable experience. The central mechanic is neat, it just needs a better platformer to be stuck onto.

Also, be aware of any situation that the player can get themselves into with the way your level design is set up. Make lots of consistent ways back up, find ways to ensure that moving platforms can't get clumped up in one, inaccessible area, etc.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
For your consideration...

Vote for Slam Fighter II!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I'm very pleased with how Impulse turned out. As mentioned by signoceros earlier, I ended up producing a buttload of content that ended up not being included due to time constraints. Even so, I think that was a good call - better to have a functional game than a packed-with-content busted one!

Here's a couple of things missing from the current version that I have on the backburner, as well as more-zoomed in versions of stuff that IS in the game!

Baddies, some with some levels of Robo-taint.

Variety of weapons - EMP, Saw, Shotgun, Bomb, Claw, Turbine, Bolt and Harpoon. The last two were the first I created, before I decided to drop everything to a more muted color scheme.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

TheOrange posted:

Helpful commentary

Splode posted:

Helpful commentary

That all makes sense.

sighnoceros posted:

It's up to you whether your complicated calculations need to be preserved or not...

I'm going to try to back the complexity down some, it got out of hand pretty quickly (turns out baseball is hard). Part of the idea of going to dice was that maybe a dice system would be easier to balance, but the more I think about it, the more I realize they have their own quirks.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I finally got a chance to watch the first part of the Gong Show and I wanted to thank the commentators for their nice words about my game SIGHO!

Critical Admission for Game of the Summer 2015!

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

GlyphGryph posted:

The platform puzzle just involved paused when the platforms were low enough to reach. You ride the first platform up to the second, and then the second up to the third.

But yeah, the physics were... not the ones we wanted. Personally I ended up enjoying many aspects of the knockback (I thought it was fun to throw your way to victory to quickly get by several parts), and I wonder if the problem wasn't so much the knock back as the design of the first areas that lead the player to be knocked back so much? A more gradual ramp up in difficulty I think would have helped a lot I think. Do you think the knockback might not have been so bad if you had an easier time avoiding it to begin with? If it's just "no, the knockback is bad even if rarer", how do you think it should work?

The game itself was originally supposed to be three times as long, and there were supposed to be two "lead ups" to each of the element you saw in the game. The knockback also wasn't supposed to apply to the sides of lift or carriers, turrets, or the back of trucks. Just... a lack of time. So those would probably be the major things I'd change if I went back and put some more work into it.

Also, for those asking about the music, side effect of putting the credits at the end, hah, it's a free/open source piece by Alan Singley.

Wait, I could re-pause things or it was a one-time shot? I would say that's maybe one other annoyance I had with the game is that if I activated an enemy on the first level I had to start over from the beginning since I couldn't avoid it on the platforms.

I think you have the right idea in general though, I think at least part of the problem with the knockback is that it doesn't seem relative to what hit you and you lose control for a pretty long while. I think by solving the hitbox problems on the platforms you'd avoid some of the more annoying moments though, maybe some way to regain partial air control if it exceeds a time duration would be nice but it might not feel appropriate.

Music wasn't bad, just for some reason any kind of light jazz-like music reminds me of United flights for some reason. At first I wasn't sure if it met the theme as well but I preferred it to some generic electronic beat that would of made it feel like it should of been fast paced.

dupersaurus posted:

I'm going to try to back the complexity down some, it got out of hand pretty quickly (turns out baseball is hard). Part of the idea of going to dice was that maybe a dice system would be easier to balance, but the more I think about it, the more I realize they have their own quirks.

Yeah, I think I wouldn't mind some more simple decisions in baseonball just due to the fact that if you're playing a full 9 innings then it would involve a pretty significant number of turns.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

TheOrange posted:

Wait, I could re-pause things or it was a one-time shot?

You could re-pause things as many times as you wanted, that was in fact the core mechanic and the intended solution to the (few) puzzles. Was that... unclear?

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

GlyphGryph posted:

You could re-pause things as many times as you wanted, that was in fact the core mechanic and the intended solution to the (few) puzzles. Was that... unclear?

No, I must of missed that part entirely, that's probably my own fault though, if it was in a text box then I probably just skimmed over it. Would of certainly made the second level much, much easier.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
The soundtrack to All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert is here!

You Are Going To Die

This track was created at the very end of the jam so it's pretty simple in its composition. As the music for the main stage, I wanted to capture the feel of despair you see in a lot of PSAs, so I took inspiration from Mozart's Requiem Mass to create a haunting choir punctuated with moments of silence and the occasional echo of monophonic piano to bring the point home that you really are going to die :(

Granny's Day In

For the mini-games, I wanted to create a peppy "happy" composition to contrast the dourness of the other theme. It's mainly based on the music heard during "Buy Mode" for the original Sims games. The main goal for this track was to create a confusing, manic piece that takes the player off-guard in this game about an old person slowly dying to death. My personal favorite parts are the piano slam around 19 seconds in and the sporadic flute and clarinet flutters.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Harold Krell posted:

The soundtrack to All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert is here!

You Are Going To Die

This track was created at the very end of the jam so it's pretty simple in its composition. As the music for the main stage, I wanted to capture the feel of despair you see in a lot of PSAs, so I took inspiration from Mozart's Requiem Mass to create a haunting choir punctuated with moments of silence and the occasional echo of monophonic piano to bring the point home that you really are going to die :(

Granny's Day In

For the mini-games, I wanted to create a peppy "happy" composition to contrast the dourness of the other theme. It's mainly based on the music heard during "Buy Mode" for the original Sims games. The main goal for this track was to create a confusing, manic piece that takes the player off-guard in this game about an old person slowly dying to death. My personal favorite parts are the piano slam around 19 seconds in and the sporadic flute and clarinet flutters.

Very nice work. It's because of You Are Going To Die that I had to quit the game because of sadness overload some 10 mins in. I don't say that to criticize, it means you did a great job! Now I'm inspired to unload some of our awesome extras.

Slam Fighter II Bonus Material Pack #38

Here's a look behind the scenes - behold my meticulous musical notation!

If you guys don't get why a rapping soviet is hi-larious I don't know what to tell you.

If I had had my way from the start, our game's assets would have looked something like this.

However when viewing the end product, it's clear that Ziggy Starfucker was very very right to ask me to do sprite art instead.

And the best bonus item I could possibly provide! Serghei's dialogue was recorded over a couple of marathon recording sessions with his actor, Michael. In between takes we had a lot of fun just bullshitting and cracking jokes. I'm pretty sure Michael was telling me something in his normal speaking voice when I jokingly asked him if he was a bad enough dude to save the president. And then he said this:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByLGY7AGDSn2eG51MzZhTGdiWjg/view?usp=sharing

My biggest regret is that we couldn't find a good place to stick that in the game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

TheOrange posted:

No, I must of missed that part entirely, that's probably my own fault though, if it was in a text box then I probably just skimmed over it. Would of certainly made the second level much, much easier.

Yeah it was in the first conversation that paused the game, hah.

Well, that's a lesson to me, at least: Don't embed important game instructions in dialogue boxes, because apparently no one reads them anyway. :v:

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
We're moving the judging stream back to 7pm CST on Friday so that everyone has a chance to get home and watch.

https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

edit:

Community vote will be cut off THIS COMING TUESDAY August 18th.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 14, 2015

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

JonTerp posted:

We're moving the judging stream back to 7pm CST on Friday so that everyone has a chance to get home and watch.

https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

Aww :( That puts it at 1am for us. I assume it'll be recorded like that last one?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Aww :( That puts it at 1am for us. I assume it'll be recorded like that last one?

Yep. It'll be on YouTube.

Judging Deliberations stream is live. http://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

Calipark fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 15, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Welp, my work internet is taking a dump trying to keep up with Twitch. Guess I'll watch the youtube vid. Any idea how soon it'll be up?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
New Slam Fighter II build, get it while it's hot! Now with latency fix!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/evybzg3ctcy6w3x/Slam_Fighter_2_Convention_Edition.zip

E: changelog

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

ist of changes:
* Fixed beat detection on Bunny and Fulana's stage
* Fixed beat indicator mis-alignment during the AI turn
* Added in-game option to change latency settings. I recommend keeping Audio Latency at 0 and Video Latency between 0 and -10 for now. A setting of -10 means that the beat indicators will start 10 milliseconds earlier than the actual beat
* "Easy" and "Let Me Win" difficulty settings now have relaxed beat timing thresholds that make it easier to at least get a "good" rating
* Added two more blingees for Serghei

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 15, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
http://tindeck.com/listen/rvkcm

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008
http://awfuljams.com/winners

Congrats everyone who submitted a game! You're all winners in my book :3

Reviews are up on game pages, and if you go in and edit your game you can also post a post mortem.

Good jam, everyone! :)

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for the critique on Deliverer! It was fun to make art and design for it.

And congratulations to all the winners :yotj:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Yeah congrats everyone, this was a fantastic jam with a really high bar in terms of quality. I'm already excited for Winter Jam!

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
You guys did a tremendous job with your games, it was a pleasure to play and judge them! As anyone who watched the judging stream tonight is probably intimately aware of, trying to pick the final winners out of the full list of entries was hard as heck, with audio in particular being a long, grueling debate. That's because of the sheer effort you folks put in, making so many great submissions. It was clear you spent your month well, and you should be super proud of it!

As SharpenedSpoon said, all submitted games have their scores and reviews visible on their game page. Check 'em out, and if you're up for it do a post mortem on the site!

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
Really disappointed in the feedback. I would have at least thought that splitting the games so only one judge looked at the game would mean that you'd have some more detailed feedback but I guess if you end up with a judge that ends up not liking the game (even if other judges could have things to say about it) then I guess you're screwed. :smith:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I felt like the feedback I got about my game was basically spot on. I'm pretty pleased with myself that people thought the intersections were generated, since they're actually always the same; the things that semi-randomly spawn in my game are people and cars. I totally agree that the gameplay was fairly simple and lacking in variety, and that the difficulty could use some tuning; a big part of why you can sit in spawn and nearly win is because the default placement straddles two lanes, so you have a 50% chance of catching any spawning car for 2% damage and a good distribution of people in the horizontal crosswalks too. Gaining points after the game ended was indeed an oversight, because the end game state doesn't freeze all game objects, it just freezes you and shows the overlay.

My entry this year was a lot better than last year; there are more objects to interact with, more variety, better use of animations, and the game doesn't break half the time you go to play it. A long ways to go from a good game, but a step forward for me. Thanks to everyone who played it and offered advice.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Afal posted:

Really disappointed in the feedback. I would have at least thought that splitting the games so only one judge looked at the game would mean that you'd have some more detailed feedback but I guess if you end up with a judge that ends up not liking the game (even if other judges could have things to say about it) then I guess you're screwed. :smith:

I'd be lying if I didn't say I feel like our review didn't have much depth, but I understand that there's only so much you can say. I feel like it's been better this year than in most but getting feedback on your work in general is kind of tough.

The big thing that I've taken away from the stream / review on Unarmed though is that my own biggest gripe with the game (I think the shield mechanic was too clunky, slow, and ineffective) hasn't been something I've seen other people taking issue with. The only common complaint I've seen personally is the difficulty which I think stems from our primary mechanic, but it's not the only reason why.

I might give a post-mortem a shot but I don't want to do a disservice to the rest of my team.

Congrats to the winners though, I'm actually kind of surprised by some of the winners, certainly there's some games I overlooked (Fishin' Hole, Zero Grab Kitty, Echo) that I should give another shot or play further.

Nanomachine Son fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 15, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Just a heads up, physical prizes will ship some time next week. You'll get an email from we with tracking info once they go out.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Man, I feel pretty bummed out about not even placing for audio. I suppose in a way it's a relief though to say "well, there's not much I would have done differently if I had to go back and do it again." Our team technically has five people in it, but the actual experience of Slam Fighter II was created mainly by two people: myself and Ziggy Starfucker. My main contributions were directing performances, doing the art and writing, and wrangling the talent. From what I have seen, people have had positive experiences with those aspects of the game. Seems like the main criticism of the game comes down to gameplay itself. I know from seeing his other work that Ziggy Starfucker is an incredibly gifted developer (in fact if you met him IRL you'd realize that he's a loving genius in general) and he approached the game jam as an opportunity to try something he had never done before. And now he's really got this; the latest build has awesome responsiveness and I think the game is really going places, so we definitely don't feel like we're walking away from this "empty handed" so to speak. We definitely got a lot out of participating in this jam!

I do feel that overall Team Dogpit's only sin was not staying with a "safe" type of game, ie, a game in one of the genres in which Ziggy Starfucker has made games before (and there are many -- he's got a bunch of interesting stuff in his "portfolio" that's great for showing off at parties.) That means if we compete next year, we will definitely avoid trying something that gameplay-wise is different from something Ziggy Starfucker has already done. While that kind of seems like a bummer since we had the impression that the game jam was a good arena for trying out new things, it's also an indication of the overall high quality of the competition.

Also congrats to all the winners! I will celebrate on your behalf by playing Zero Grab-Kitty some more. (cats)

E:

JonTerp in review posted:

Defiantly make time to check out Slam Fighter II, and don't forget to install the XNA 4.0 redistributable.

:haw: Thank you for this.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 15, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Congrats to Zero Grab Kitty. It was my favorite game and I'm glad the judges agree :D

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Can't complain about Impulse not winning, some great games this year and I played the poo poo out of Zero Grab-Kitty (I think I might have been the first person to report having actually beaten it :smug:). Congrats to all the winners, and great job everybody who finished their games!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

sighnoceros posted:

Can't complain about Impulse not winning, some great games this year and I played the poo poo out of Zero Grab-Kitty (I think I might have been the first person to report having actually beaten it :smug:). Congrats to all the winners, and great job everybody who finished their games!

Don't forget, you placed for audio. And if Slam Fighter II loses to Impulse in the community choice vote, I won't feel sad running up behind you because your game is hella cool and I enjoyed playing it.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

sighnoceros posted:

Hell, you and Everdraed both finished the game before I even finished it! (I'm pretty sure I've finished each level at *some* point now, but I could be wrong).

This jam was my first gamejam and a hell of a lot of fun! I was really happy to have just finished making a game and I'm incredibly stoked with the result! I've also just done a bit of a post mortem on the game's page as well. Thanks for playing!

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Oh yeah definitely not trying to seem ungrateful, was just referring to the top places. Great games all around!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Only 5/5 stars? Well, I guess I'll have try harder next time, and also have a bigger, more ridiculous file size.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Sweet, 3rd overall for Echo! Super chuffed with that, thanks to my team and the judges and everyone who took part! And congrats to Krillin for getting the grand prize, there were some amazing games this year and I really enjoyed checking them out.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Xibanya posted:

Don't forget, you placed for audio. And if Slam Fighter II loses to Impulse in the community choice vote, I won't feel sad running up behind you because your game is hella cool and I enjoyed playing it.

You guys did so great, keep at it and you'll be top dogs in no time

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I'm ecstatic that Impulse managed to place for audio. I put a fair bit of love into the music, and the sound effects job is my favorite I've done so far. Honestly, though, I don't think my sound would have even had the slightest chance to shine if it wasn't for the excellent work done by both Sighnoceros and Dogkisser, so huge thanks to them for making the other parts of the game so appealing. After this I'm especially excited to keep working and learning with sound in future jams.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I sortof feel that truck simul8or doesn't deserve 4/5, but I'll take it! Was expecting less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

I'm really pleased with how well Critical Admission did - and we got a lot of great feedback :) Thanks everyone.

Well done to all the other winners and runners up, this years competition was tight - the quality seems to be really quite high.

Also thanks to all the organisers and judges - I feel this year's jam went very smoothly, the website worked great, and the grouping and review system means at the very least every game gets a review from someone who has really tried it. The gong show and judging were both very interesting too (though the judging was too late for me to finish). I don't know if I'll be back for the winter jam yet (it might be a little too close to my thesis submission), but I'll definitely be back for the summer jam next year.

• Locked thread