Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Well must have tweaked something incorrectly - now none of my motors fit and cost an average of 1000-15000 more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

extreme_accordion posted:

How much of that 08 is in suspension setup?
20 more horse power can't be a solid 30 more seconds off of time.
Suspension - it's a black art to me, anyone have a good tutorial?
I just hosed about with the settings one click at a time, ran a simulation and see whether the time went up or down. Though you're right 30 seconds probably isn't going to come from suspension tuning, getting the gear ratio's right is really important. You get all these lovely stats about the 0 - 100 time, a quarter mile time, standing mile time, 80 - 120 time. Which is all mostly irrelevant. What matters is how quickly you can get back up from cornering speed to your top speed. Our engines probably have a similar specific efficiency, the main difference is in gearing, which is where I need a few more litres per 100km due to shorter gears.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Every time I look at this thread I'm being punished for not having a Windows computer (or even a working VM, if this game runs on that at all).

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Based on the Google sheet somebody has a 443hp car that does the Ring in 8:10.

How dare you!

My Sportsman isn't even close to that :(

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The psyops is working. :tinfoil:

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
I decided that my NA Touring effort wasn't good enough. So I redesigned the engine. Now pushing 134kW, about 180bhp from a NA 1.5L.

Currently doing 9:06 around the ring, before maxing out QPs or putting effort into a suspension set up. I think that with a bit of fidgeting I can get the benchmark for a NA Touring car down to 9 minutes or even under.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Up until yesterday (I lost another batch of cars) I had a 3200cc v6 producing 320 or there about using 15lt/100km for fuel and getting 8:38. It was a Sportsman class spec with open class pricing.

Thus farr I've had a 1200cc TT v8 producing 200hp using 15lt/100km and doing 9:16 w/o suspension tweaks. 3200cc i4 Turbo that got surprising good results.

I think I need to pick a motor format and drive myself mad with that rather than bounce around.

At this point I honestly don't mind all the lost data as I keep finding new envelopes to push in terms of tweaking the cars.

Lack of TT V6 or TT i6 chaps my rear end.

I'll actually start posting hard data here now that I plan on backing up the data after I build a semi-successful car.

Looks like there was an app update in the last 24hrs.

What files should I be backing up to submit for my vehicles?

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 11, 2015

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
I have made a happy car.

I regret nothing.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Bugeye Sprite's crazy cousin.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Looks like the spaceship in Heavy Metal.
Musta been some good nyborg, man.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
We found our 8:10 car!

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
I didn't realize Mazda was already showing off the 2020 Mazda3.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

I find it slightly worrying that this nimble little sportster:

...will go around the 'ring in 8:29.45 which isn't that much slower than my "good" sportsman. I guess time will tell.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Alright boys and girls, I had a brainwave tonight and suddenly track editing is less of a pain in the rear end. As such, I give you my first revision of old-school Spa Francorchamps:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-TdAZAcHwLAclJ6MUtjeEJSaHc/view?usp=sharing

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Any designs to do RoadAmerica as a track?
I'm trying to figure out that online track editor but the majority of the tutorial is broken.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Any designs to do RoadAmerica as a track?
I'm trying to figure out that online track editor but the majority of the tutorial is broken.

The online editor is crappy; use TrackView instead.

Road America isn't on the list at the moment; I was planning on doing Watkins Glen instead.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
Pre 1986 Bathurst please. TMR needs to upstage it's crash from last time around.

:black101:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I might do the old Bathurst, depending on how the season works out. I've got track making down reasonably well now so it's only an hour of work maybe.

That said, Targa Florio is gonna be a bitch to make, but based on how Spa, historic Silverstone and Watkins Glen have turned out, it could be a laugh. I'll tell you though, making the historic Spa layout really brought the history of that track to life. Watching my Sportsman go down that back straight between Malmedy and Stavelot absolutely flat-out, then imagining how there were no safety barriers or anything really illustrates just how insane racing was back in the day.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 15, 2015

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
So here is what I've whipped out in the last 2.6 hours:
Road America.zip
I'm dead certain I don't know WTF I'm doing with elevations. Camber on curves I did not bother with because I do not have that data handy. :effort:

I used images from the net to make the path file in InkSkape and then I traced out the track using the editor OP recommended.
Re-scaling was pretty easy after getting reasonably close to the actual track length... I believe I'm 2m short overall. This could be solved by simply adding 2 meters to the final straight as it's minimal overlap at the start/finish.
All files included in case any other goons want to 'learn' how to do it or improve upon what I've started.

It is very easy to get a base track down.

Recommended apps:
notepad++
inkscape
images.google
RTFA from track editor link posted by OP

Ooooooh look at that car go off the track and do all sorts of crazy braking in short corners.
Corrected the file and the link above.

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 15, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

So here is what I've whipped out in the last 2.6 hours:
Road America.zip
I'm dead certain I don't know WTF I'm doing with elevations. Camber on curves I did not bother with because I do not have that data handy. :effort:

Very nice, I think I will use your version instead of mine. :) I actually modelled Road America of my own and interestingly my Sportsman laps both versions within a half a second of each other.

Starting Targa Florio modelling :aaa:

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Spent about 5 hours on that model in total after I found I had to fix it.
Testing it is a pain in the rear end because it requires that you load Automation to run it and wait anywhere from 30 seconds - 2 minutes to find it's 'broken'.
I can't imagine what debugging the green hell was like to get that little animated car to even remotely stay on course.
I've started doing configurations of the kart / hpd course off of turn 7/8, that's been fun since it's between 900-1600 meters long.
Once you get the hang of it debugging the tracks is very easy.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Spent about 5 hours on that model in total after I found I had to fix it.
Testing it is a pain in the rear end because it requires that you load Automation to run it and wait anywhere from 30 seconds - 2 minutes to find it's 'broken'.
I can't imagine what debugging the green hell was like to get that little animated car to even remotely stay on course.
I've started doing configurations of the kart / hpd course off of turn 7/8, that's been fun since it's between 900-1600 meters long.
Once you get the hang of it debugging the tracks is very easy.

Clearly the key to effective debugging is to turn the year up to 2020 and build the meanest, fastest monster you possibly can.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Duuk posted:

Clearly the key to effective debugging is to turn the year up to 2020 and build the meanest, fastest monster you possibly can.

Actually that's a drat good thought!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Actually that's a drat good thought!

I just use TrackView to build my tracks; the GUI makes things very easy to debug in that respect. Elevation changes are also very easy to model as there is a vertical profile that goes along with the track map. That way everything ends up more or less where it should be.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

MrChips posted:

I just use TrackView to build my tracks; the GUI makes things very easy to debug in that respect. Elevation changes are also very easy to model as there is a vertical profile that goes along with the track map. That way everything ends up more or less where it should be.

I might try it out some day, you guys seem to be having fun.

Until then, I built the Invisigoth RS which does Spa 1975 in 3:18.58 without suspension, brake or aero tuning. Hits 400km/h on the back straight, just under 300 at the finish line and sounds like a swarm of bees. Hour well spent. :)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Duuk posted:

I might try it out some day, you guys seem to be having fun.

Until then, I built the Invisigoth RS which does Spa 1975 in 3:18.58 without suspension, brake or aero tuning. Hits 400km/h on the back straight, just under 300 at the finish line and sounds like a swarm of bees. Hour well spent. :)

I'd be interested to see the specs of your car; the fastest anyone ever went around old Spa was in 1973 when Henri Pescarolo did a 3:13.4 in a Matra MS670 (I think).

Also I'm pretty sure I need to redo the elevation and banking from Stavelot to the finish line. Also I have the start-finish line in the wrong spot (it should be after La Source, not before) but I'm too lazy to fix it now :effort:

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Duuk posted:

Invisigoth

Does it come in cerulean blue?

MrChips posted:

:words: TrackView

Yep - it's what I'm using too to trace out the track paths.
It can be a bit challenging but finding fixes is pretty easy.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Does it come in cerulean blue?

Sure, why not :)

MrChips posted:

I'd be interested to see the specs of your car; the fastest anyone ever went around old Spa was in 1973 when Henri Pescarolo did a 3:13.4 in a Matra MS670 (I think).

I'm afraid it isn't exactly a beacon of engineering. I just picked the shiniest parts on the shelves, mixed in a tiny bit of common sense and let it loose.

The Statement-class engine is a 5 litre twin turbo V8. The picture above should be explanation enough why it isn't larger. As far as the performance - again, I just went full Clarkson on all the sliders and adjusted compression afterwards to Not Blow Up.

I haven't really found a way to make a super-lightweight track machine like the Matra. I would have thought cars like that are generally on tube frames? Haven't seen such an option for any of the body shapes. I could probably get the Invisigoth under 3:13 by putting in some effort but it doesn't really seem fair to Henri. Also I'm having too much fun listening to it wind through gears. 80-120km/h 0,9s. 320-360 doesn't seem to take much longer.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Quick update on things:

I've officially tweaked the Open-class to be essentially, well, open. There are be a few restrictions here and there but other than that, go nuts.

As for track modelling, I've tweaked Spa 1975's elevations, so that works well now. The bad news is that now that I've finished Targa Florio, it's turned out to be a buggy mess...who would have thought the game would hate a 45-mile track with over 300 corners and 2000 feet of elevation change? :shrug: I might be inclined to fix it, but holy poo poo that's going to be an insane amount of work. Here's the track if anyone's interested, but beware that it's very buggy.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Work has been crazy busy - hope to get my crazy 2.0L Turbo V8 into open class :D
It may be all I can qualify for and have success in.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Just FYI, I've given up on Sportsman and Touring. I'm only going to make an Open car.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Do I get it right that submissions open on Sept 1st? Any plans for when they close?

Unless some of the top guys from last round post new scary benchmarks I'm probably going to sit on what I have already.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I got an 8:10 car for Open, bitches.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
I had a 8:59 NA touring car, but the game ate it and I forgot to make screenshots of my suspension tweaks.

Rather a bit annoyed about that. Then again I wasn't really participating to win, as it has long been established that the turbos will rule the touring class.

So I will submit a 9:04 car I guess.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Duuk posted:

Do I get it right that submissions open on Sept 1st? Any plans for when they close?

Unless some of the top guys from last round post new scary benchmarks I'm probably going to sit on what I have already.

Yes, submissions will open September 1st and probably run until the 22nd or so. This time will be a little different than the last; to make my workload lighter this time around, I will not allow any revisions until after the test day that will follow the closing date. After that, each contestant will be allowed only one revision for each of their entries.

The problem is that for whatever reason, my scrutineering script is not liking something about this challenge, and I am kind of spinning my wheels trying to fix it - it should come as no surprise to you software nerds, but every time I squash a bug, I make two new ones. :v: Until I can fully fix it, I will have to scrutinise manually, which isn't that much work admittedly, but added up over 30+ entrants and potentially 60 cars, the workload would be a bit much. Hell, even with the script working it could still be a big hassle with all the revision control needed, hence the new submission rules.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
This game updates at such a glacial pace :negative:

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

MrChips posted:

Yes, submissions will open September 1st and probably run until the 22nd or so. This time will be a little different than the last; to make my workload lighter this time around, I will not allow any revisions until after the test day that will follow the closing date. After that, each contestant will be allowed only one revision for each of their entries.

The problem is that for whatever reason, my scrutineering script is not liking something about this challenge, and I am kind of spinning my wheels trying to fix it - it should come as no surprise to you software nerds, but every time I squash a bug, I make two new ones. :v: Until I can fully fix it, I will have to scrutinise manually, which isn't that much work admittedly, but added up over 30+ entrants and potentially 60 cars, the workload would be a bit much. Hell, even with the script working it could still be a big hassle with all the revision control needed, hence the new submission rules.

Clear, thanks. To give my two cents, I would be fine with zero revisions midseason provided you were allowed to fix your car if it failed scrutinizing.

Meanwhile, since I think I'll stick to Touring and Sportsman this round, I am playing around with designs for future seasons... I really wish the game had different sounds based on the RPM your engine is running to. Doesn't seem like it to me.

Edit: Nevermind, it definitely does change. 12k just doesn't sound as ridiculous as I'd like.

Duuk fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 30, 2015

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I don't understand this game anymore.

I'm putting more quality points into things, all the technical statistics are nice improved green, and the car goes slower. :psyduck:

And I don't mean the things where minus quality points reduces weight. Things like engine components. Or chassis.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I don't understand this game anymore.

I'm putting more quality points into things, all the technical statistics are nice improved green, and the car goes slower. :psyduck:

And I don't mean the things where minus quality points reduces weight. Things like engine components. Or chassis.

In my experience, both Chassis and Exhaust quality points tend to be rather loopy. Other engine components should behave a bit better I would have thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

New thread for SA-GT 1975:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739717

• Locked thread