Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Is there any point in learning disassembling when you don't plan on getting tinkering? I don't think you can actually do anything with the bits.

Not really. I'd just rather have the bits if I opt to tinker and 100sp isn't a big loss with 18 starting int.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Caves of Qud feature Friday!

*Added a new inhabitant to Joppa (meow)
*Added a new type of bow
*Added resonance grenades that disintegrate inorganic matter
*Added powered exoskeleton ('worn on back', rare)
*Refreshed the Short Blades skill:
-New power: Hobble (150 sp, 15 agility), an activated attack that immobilizes your opponent
-New power: Rejoinder (150 sp, 25 agility), a passive ability that lets you make a free short blade attack whenever an opponent misses you in melee
-Shank now applies to your primary hand attacks as well as your off-hand attacks
-Juke is now a prerequisite for Pointed Circle
-Pointed Circle's cost was reduced from 250 to 100
-Pointed Circle's agility requirement was reduced to 23
*Refreshed the Wayfaring skill's Wilderness Lore powers. They now:
-Double the chance of interesting encounters
-Reduce the chance of getting lost
*Added a new open air tile type
*Made underground caves more cave-like
*Fixed 'Enter' not working properly on the Saved Games screen
*Electromagnetic pulses now properly disable items in the inventories of non-robotic creatures
*Phasing now forces you into an open space as the final move, if possible.
*<redacted>

Unormal fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 15, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kyzrati posted:

It's very unfortunate side-effect of Cogmind's dense UI, one that will undoubtedly have a serious negative impact on the game's ability to spread via the most common indie channels, e.g. YT and Twitch... it absolutely must be fullscreened, and must use one of the alternative fonts, but even then it's not great unless viewers fullscreen it, too :/. Oh well, the size is really baked into the mechanics and UX so there's no changing it now!

I envy Qud's small grid size, although it's funny it gets the opposite comments that Cogmind does, with some players complaining about how everything is too large =p. At least that's fixable...

I think probably the only issue with the grid size is the message log, and I'll be able to fix that with a unity-side log that you can toggle on, I think. I'm gonna try some prototypes soon.

V- It's a bug, noclip down. I'll see if I can fix it in a bug patch this weekend.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Aug 15, 2015

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

In Caves of Qud, is it intended that sometimes The Asphalt Mines doesn't spawn any stairs? My previous character had a flamethrower, which was awesome, so I decided to go harvest some oil on this new character on the anticipation of a blueprint popping up sometime, but I've been in the Asphalt Mines center square and checked all adjacent squares and I can't see any stairs down. Is it just impossible for me to get any oil now?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

ShiroIchida posted:

In Caves of Qud, is it intended that sometimes The Asphalt Mines doesn't spawn any stairs? My previous character had a flamethrower, which was awesome, so I decided to go harvest some oil on this new character on the anticipation of a blueprint popping up sometime, but I've been in the Asphalt Mines center square and checked all adjacent squares and I can't see any stairs down. Is it just impossible for me to get any oil now?

I'm curious too, because it seems like a bug, and it's happened to me a few times.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Unormal posted:

V- It's a bug, noclip down. I'll see if I can fix it in a bug patch this weekend.

Thanks for the response. Caves of Qud is a pretty fun game, good work on it!

EDIT: Don't feel obligated to push out a patch or anything just because I asked. Don't want to burn you out or anything.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

ShiroIchida posted:

Thanks for the response. Caves of Qud is a pretty fun game, good work on it!

EDIT: Don't feel obligated to push out a patch or anything just because I asked. Don't want to burn you out or anything.

:supaburn: :supaburn: Indielyfe :supaburn: :supaburn:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Unormal posted:

Will this break saves?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

andrew smash posted:

Will this break saves?

I don't think so; but there's the previous stable branch if you wanted to finish an old game off even if it does. I test loaded a couple old games and they seemed fine, though our highest level of QA is "it works on my machine", so caveat emptor.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Any CoQ playthroughs on Youtube you guys would recommend?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Unormal posted:

YESSSS. Going to see what happens with those farmer's daughters.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Helical Nightmares posted:

YESSSS. Going to see what happens with those farmer's daughters.

Last I checked they debuff you into the loving ground the moment you look at them.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is there anything past the lava levels in the asphalt mines? I had three upstairs in a row spawn in lava pools and was not really confident of my ability to keep putting my flaming body out so I called it quits and recoiled.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hey unormal I'm doing the early game quests and all these vines and jilted lovers and qudzu are neutral for some reason

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

hey unormal I'm doing the early game quests and all these vines and jilted lovers and qudzu are neutral for some reason

Are you photosynthetic? Or perhaps you killed a hero that was hated by plants.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kyzrati posted:

I really like seeing these development snapshots. I never had any interest in Dredmor itself, but seeing it in ASCII makes it sooooo much more appealing to me.

Awesome. :) I worry sometimes that I'm annoying people by posting boring development screenshots.

My project for this morning -- if I can get anything done before the toddler awakens -- is a more general interaction system that will let objects register a list of "things you can do with them", and a UI gesture that lets you bring up a menu for nearby objects based on that. This will let you close doors as well as open them.

After that...either inventory or a major overhaul of how the UI works (and is laid out), neither of which are likely to be hugs and kittens.

Unormal posted:

Or maybe I'll just play CoQ all morning and work on ttymor later.

Unormal posted:

I think probably the only issue with the grid size is the message log, and I'll be able to fix that with a unity-side log that you can toggle on, I think. I'm gonna try some prototypes soon.

:neckbeard:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

dis astranagant posted:

Last I checked they debuff you into the loving ground the moment you look at them.

That (unfortunately) got patched. Now you just get a minor debuff. It was funny as hell seeing your willpower bottom out as you fell in love with the daughter 30 times at once

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

dis astranagant posted:

Are you photosynthetic? Or perhaps you killed a hero that was hated by plants.
I... maybe? how did the plants hear of my exploits

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

IronicDongz posted:

I... maybe? how did the plants hear of my exploits

They heard it through the grapevine.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:golfclap:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
What does falling in love with the apple farmer's daughter do and how can I fix it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm having this weird issue in Sproggiwood for Android where after playing any combination of dungeons like 3 or 4 times, the game starts having severe slowdown, to the point where doign another 2 dungeons will lead to it hanging on a single frame for seconds at a time. Anyone know what's up with that?

At first I thought it was just the phone clocking down from overheating causing that, but it still happened even if I went to the home screen for a while as it cooled down, and then went back in. Quitting out of the game and then restarting it returns it to normal play, but it inevitably happens again after several dungeons.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just started playing Caves of Qud and found a build that I do pretty well with: Apostle with Beguile, Teleport, Esper and Unstable Genome.

My current character has also learned light manipulation, clairvoyance, temporal fugue and force bubble. I've got this awesome snapjaw warlord buddy who has leveled up so much he can tank a slumberling while I kill it with lasers and bullets. I made it to that named goat shaman and got him to wounded pretty easily but then the game froze. Kinda sucks because I found so much great loot between him and the village, which was the last place I saved. One of those goat man hornblower parties took out a merchant caravan for me. Some questions:

1) What do temporal clones have access to? It seems like they can use your equipped items and mutations, but I can't seem to get them to use my missile launcher, do I need to get it fully identified? I also could have sworn I've seen one pull out a freeze grenade, which I had in my inventory.

2) Is there anything I can do to make the game use less ram? It hits nearly 2 gigs right when I start it up.

3) What does the disable permadeath option actually do? I enabled it because I was afraid of losing a character to a crash, but I haven't actually died since I turned it on.

4) Is there any way to make the tiles larger? I have kind of a hard time noticing stuff like young ivory and chaingun turrets and I think it's because the tiles are pretty small.

5) Is there a way to locate the randomly generated notable locations on the map (merchants, snapjaw forts etc) without just wandering around and running into them?

Thanks

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

2) Is there anything I can do to make the game use less ram? It hits nearly 2 gigs right when I start it up.

Are you using the Steam version? You should use the Steam version if it's an option.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I'm having this weird issue in Sproggiwood for Android where after playing any combination of dungeons like 3 or 4 times, the game starts having severe slowdown, to the point where doign another 2 dungeons will lead to it hanging on a single frame for seconds at a time. Anyone know what's up with that?

At first I thought it was just the phone clocking down from overheating causing that, but it still happened even if I went to the home screen for a while as it cooled down, and then went back in. Quitting out of the game and then restarting it returns it to normal play, but it inevitably happens again after several dungeons.

I... dunno what would cause that. Though I've heard occasional reports about it. You could tail the devices logs if you have adb 'adb logcat -s Unity' and see if it's spewing exceptions or something.

e: Oh also forgot in the patchnotes that Phasing was changed to shunt you out into an open space as the last move if possible (You will still instagib if such a move isn't possible on the last turn.)

Unormal fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 15, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

IronicDongz posted:

What does falling in love with the apple farmer's daughter do and how can I fix it

It penalizes your Willpower a bit and goes away on its own after an indeterminate period of time.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Unormal posted:

Are you using the Steam version? You should use the Steam version if it's an option.

Yeah, this is the steam version.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Unormal posted:

It appears that Shank is currently the pre-req for Pointed Circle

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Unormal posted:

*Added a new inhabitant to Joppa (meow)
*Added a new type of bow
*Added resonance grenades that disintegrate inorganic matter
*Added powered exoskeleton ('worn on back', rare)
*Refreshed the Short Blades skill:
-New power: Hobble (150 sp, 15 agility), an activated attack that immobilizes your opponent
-New power: Rejoinder (150 sp, 25 agility), a passive ability that lets you make a free short blade attack whenever an opponent misses you in melee
-Shank now applies to your primary hand attacks as well as your off-hand attacks
-Pointed Circle's cost was reduced from 250 to 100
-Pointed Circle's agility requirement was reduced to 23
-Reduce the chance of getting lost
*Added a new open air tile type
*Made underground caves more cave-like
*Fixed 'Enter' not working properly on the Saved Games screen
*Electromagnetic pulses now properly disable items in the inventories of non-robotic creatures
*Phasing now forces you into an open space as the final move, if possible.
*<redacted>

well poo poo i found the redacted part haha

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Unormal posted:

So long, gaslight kris!

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Is there a reason why merchants don't actually gain any water when you use them to recharge cells or identify? Seems like the water evaporates magically (so I can't just get the water back by dumping multiple carbide trash items) :(

the glow
May 31, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

Is there a reason why merchants don't actually gain any water when you use them to recharge cells or identify? Seems like the water evaporates magically (so I can't just get the water back by dumping multiple carbide trash items) :(

You can, even if a merchant has no water they will still give you the value of your items in water when you confirm a trade. I'm sure this is a bug but it works for now (unless it got patched in the last two days)

e:

andrew smash posted:

well poo poo i found the redacted part haha

Little spoiler for the curious?

I found the powered exoskeleton thing but it works weirdly, there's a slot for a cell but it gives a flat Str bonus that doesn't change whether or not it's powered. Unless there's some unorthodox way of turning it on that I haven't figured out

the glow fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 15, 2015

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

the glow posted:

You can, even if a merchant has no water they will still give you the value of your items in water when you confirm a trade. I'm sure this is a bug but it works for now (unless it got patched in the last two days)

e:

Little spoiler for the curious?

I found the powered exoskeleton thing but it works weirdly, there's a slot for a cell but it gives a flat Str bonus that doesn't change whether or not it's powered. Unless there's some unorthodox way of turning it on that I haven't figured out

it's sort of a niche thing, if you're the kind of player who is going to find it you'll find it immediately and if you're not you will never see it. I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

andrew smash posted:

it's sort of a niche thing, if you're the kind of player who is going to find it you'll find it immediately and if you're not you will never see it. I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Without even trying it, I just ~know~

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Is it an erotic CYOA with the apple farmer's daughter?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It's a fix for the game economy

the glow
May 31, 2009

amuayse posted:

It's a fix for the game economy

Ohhhh, that. Yeah fair enough I had already noticed that, I thought maybe it was something more secret. Let's face it we all knew that was coming (I'm surprised it lasted even this long)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

the glow posted:

Ohhhh, that. Yeah fair enough I had already noticed that, I thought maybe it was something more secret. Let's face it we all knew that was coming (I'm surprised it lasted even this long)

Honestly I don't really mind the actual behavior, and it's still possible to execute with the right items, but the fundamental bug there was actually more insidious (certain physics properties not properly ticking while in inventory/equipped) so I felt like that underlying simulation bug needed fixing.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Well, I found a powered exoskeleton and was thoroughly disappointed in it. I mean, in what situation would I want to sacrifice 3 DV (or potentially some AV) for +2 strength?

:stare:

Also, FR: Let tinkerers upgrade weapons and armor with prefixes of their choice. I want to make god equipment with all the bits I have, instead of hoping to find a disk with something that is slightly better than what I have. So far the most I've been able to use Tinkering for past making an eigenrifle and some grenades (as well as refueling cells) is to take all those weightless bits and turn them into laser rifles for lots of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

Also, FR: Let tinkerers upgrade weapons and armor with prefixes of their choice. I want to make god equipment with all the bits I have, instead of hoping to find a disk with something that is slightly better than what I have. So far the most I've been able to use Tinkering for past making an eigenrifle and some grenades (as well as refueling cells) is to take all those weightless bits and turn them into laser rifles for lots of water.

Yeah tinkering is horrible and we'll be desucking it as part of the Skill refreshes we started this Friday. Have some bug fixes.

*Fixed some issues and improved the performance of the Asphalt Mines builders
*Fixed Pointed Circle's prerequisite link
*Fixed spinner being displayed when you wait 0 turns
*Fixed text-entry fields not responding to escape
*Overland rivers now flow more naturally into bodies of water