Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Disappearance is such an exquisite movie...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I mean look, Haruhi is a show where the structure matters a lot, and the form informs the feeling. There's lots of reasons to love the show and I think its structural sophistication is a good one. That's gonna sound silly if you think it's all big budget waifu nonsense, but if you think that then you haven't watched or haven't watched closely.

But I admit I really have no idea how it works, only that I can see it working, and so can a lot of other fans.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 15, 2015

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

It works.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The point Zas is making, is that the broadcast order for Haruhi is weird, and cool, and interesting

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Interesting points are being made, but I think it would be better if they were made in reference to simulwatched episodes. Series discussion should wait for now, in this poster's opinion, or this is just a thread for a show, rather than a simulwatchathon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Interesting points are being made, but I think it would be better if they were made in reference to simulwatched episodes. Series discussion should wait for now, in this poster's opinion, or this is just a thread for a show, rather than a simulwatchathon.

True, but all the posts so far have been about structure, rather than content. Which is all anyone so far knows about. I can't wait for Monday.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yuki is the best character.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Senerio posted:

I agree. She's the most interesting character, except maybe Kyon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I agree. She's the most interesting character, except maybe Kyon.

She's cool but she'd be much less interesting as the main character.

Kyon is great

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Senerio posted:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

same

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Hey anyone read Hyperion? Does it have much to do with the show?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Zas posted:

Hey anyone read Hyperion? Does it have much to do with the show?

It shares some common scifi elements, but I don't think they really have anything to do with eachother.

Basically the TechnoCore is somewhat synonymous with the Data Overmind and the interfaces

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

:agreed:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Maybe we should put Haruhi-chan on the agenda. Just saying, it's a classic in its own right, and not that long.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'll see if I remember to join in on this, but I'm taking a bunch of vacation this month, so I might forget about it.

If anyone prefers, the English dub is pretty good. Crispin Freeman and Wendee Lee do a really good jobs as Kyon and Haruhi respectively. There's one scene that I'm particularly impressed with that I'll talk about when we get there.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Zas posted:

Maybe we should put Haruhi-chan on the agenda. Just saying, it's a classic in its own right, and not that long.

yes, why not.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

might watch, i remember catching haruhi when it aired and thinking it was okay? never understood all the hype tbh

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

I'll see if I remember to join in on this, but I'm taking a bunch of vacation this month, so I might forget about it.

If anyone prefers, the English dub is pretty good. Crispin Freeman and Wendee Lee do a really good jobs as Kyon and Haruhi respectively. There's one scene that I'm particularly impressed with that I'll talk about when we get there.

I'm not going to watch a dub when Sugita is in it. I don't care how good the dub is.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

might watch, i remember catching haruhi when it aired and thinking it was okay? never understood all the hype tbh

It likely works better as a binge than as a weekly watch in two seasons across 4 years. I will say that I was surprised by the general fervor over S1 when it was S2 that really justified the entire show.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Tsuruya is the best :nyoron:

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

I need to watch that ONA again, from what I remember it's highs were never as good as Haruhi-chan but it was more consistent

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

it was.. uhh lets say very cheap

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Davincie posted:

it was.. uhh lets say very cheap

Yeah but I remember liking that about it, or at least not minding it. Maybe I'll check it out again this weekend

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Have we chosen a time yet?

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Haven't watched this in many years, but I still have the dvds somewhere. I hope it's still good!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Just discovered this show got a spinoff this year. It was bad. Greatly disheartened by this, I started looking for indications, any really, of a season 3, because there seems to be really crazy material left.

...they'll never make another season, will they? :sigh:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Torquemadras posted:

Just discovered this show got a spinoff this year. It was bad. Greatly disheartened by this, I started looking for indications, any really, of a season 3, because there seems to be really crazy material left.

...they'll never make another season, will they? :sigh:

From the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like that would really even be the best idea, since Disappearance of Haruhi apparently ended the original series on a really high note. Sometimes it's better to just finish something and move on to different projects.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

From the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like that would really even be the best idea, since Disappearance of Haruhi apparently ended the original series on a really high note. Sometimes it's better to just finish something and move on to different projects.

It did, it made up for one of the more controversial parts of season 2 in loving spades

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
A new season depends all on the author being willing to write more books and keep that money machine running. Sadly, he seems to have completely vanished.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The Unholy Ghost posted:

A new season depends all on the author being willing to write more books and keep that money machine running. Sadly, he seems to have completely vanished.

There are 5 unadapted novels and a couple of unadapted side stories from the previous novels...

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Yeah, but they end on a weird cliffhanger. Plus, if they wait for the author to start selling new books, they'll make way more money than if they just produce episodes of old material.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Yeah, but they end on a weird cliffhanger. Plus, if they wait for the author to start selling new books, they'll make way more money than if they just produce episodes of old material.

That's true

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Haruhi season 3 would be excellent.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Have we chosen a time yet?

Nobody has indicated any preference. I'll say 7 PM CST. It's loose, many people will be watching at other times. But how does that sound.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Kyoani, much like Valve, can't seem to count to 3.

Best you get is 2 and a movie.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In Training posted:

Nobody has indicated any preference. I'll say 7 PM CST. It's loose, many people will be watching at other times. But how does that sound.

What's that in real time

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Namtab posted:

What's that in real time

1am mate

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

What will win, my love of anime or my love of being a good nurse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv