Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

david carmichael posted:

i think garcia is the only person to ever do it in any sort of competition before. again, i think shields did better than expected, but toquinho is such a terrible matchup for him just because he is an unbelievably great grappler and also a goddamned powerhouse

He is a really bad matchup because of his unbelievable cheating ways i.e. his ability to nearly de-eyeball both of Jake Shields eyeballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Palhares released a statement, and it's a hoot. Especially this part:

quote:

First, I would like to expose my opinion regarding professionalism and fair play. Lack of professionalism and sportsmanship, for me, is when an opponent spend weeks giving statements at the media that he would try to injure me seriously at any cost. I believe that there are many ways to promote a fight, but we must never encourage violence in exchange for hatred, the world is already sick of wars.

In my design, lack of professionalism and sportsmanship was when my opponent punched me in the face purposefully at the end of the fight and threw on me objects while I was giving an interview to USA Today's Sports staff talking about my victory. Beside that, it was unbelievable the fact that his corner tried to step in the cage to deliberately attack me.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

That whole statement is really good

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
For some reason I wanna talk about the time dan Henderson used elusive footwork to (mostly) keep palhares at bay

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Palhares vs. Andrew Golota

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

david carmichael posted:

For some reason I wanna talk about the time dan Henderson used elusive footwork to (mostly) keep palhares at bay

Hendo used his jab* to keep Pahlares at a distance

*this is not a phrase I thought I'd ever wind up saying under any circumstances

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Alexa Grasso is injured so they had to reorganize the Invicta FC 14 card. Tonya Evinger is now headlining against Pannie Kianzad.

http://combatpress.com/2015/08/alexa-grasso-injured-tonya-evinger-vs-pannie-kianzad-headlines-invicta-fc-14/

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 10, 2015

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pannie better bring the beers.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Josh Thomson has officially moved from the UFC's injured list to Bellator's injured list

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Does COBRA apply to insurance policies for independent contractors? I worry about his well being between jobs.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

the best response to this, really

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

:lol:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Man fighting is full of deluded assholes promotors but Mark Pavelich was pretty bad even by their standards. I think WSOF has taken their niche in Edmonton and isn't run by a lunatic with ego problems so that's gonna be rough for him.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

i know Josh butted heads re: the Reebok deal and other Zuffa poo poo but not offering to renew a top ten fighter in one of the best weight classes is asinine

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

-Atom- posted:

i know Josh butted heads re: the Reebok deal and other Zuffa poo poo but not offering to renew a top ten fighter in one of the best weight classes is asinine

Thomson is on the decline and I don't think he's a top 10 guy anymore tbh.

1 Anthony Pettis
2 Donald Cerrone
3 Khabib Nurmagomedov
4 Eddie Alvarez
5 Michael Johnson
5 Benson Henderson
7 Edson Barboza
8 Myles Jury
9 Tony Ferguson
10 Beneil Dariush

The only weak guy I'd pick out of that lineup is Myles Jury. In a few weeks Thomson will be 37 which is older than every other fighter on that list by like 5 years. I don't see the argument that UFC releasing him is asinine.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

attackmole posted:

Man fighting is full of deluded assholes promotors but Mark Pavelich was pretty bad even by their standards. I think WSOF has taken their niche in Edmonton and isn't run by a lunatic with ego problems so that's gonna be rough for him.

MFC will probably always have a home in Edmonton but I agree, Pavelich is a huge rear end in a top hat

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I don't know I just like watching good fighters fight other good fighters

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Thomson is always AKA injured so who cares, let him be Strikeator lightweight champion if he wants.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Bubba Smith posted:

Thomson is on the decline and I don't think he's a top 10 guy anymore tbh.

1 Anthony Pettis
2 Donald Cerrone
3 Khabib Nurmagomedov
4 Eddie Alvarez
5 Michael Johnson
5 Benson Henderson
7 Edson Barboza
8 Myles Jury
9 Tony Ferguson
10 Beneil Dariush

The only weak guy I'd pick out of that lineup is Myles Jury. In a few weeks Thomson will be 37 which is older than every other fighter on that list by like 5 years. I don't see the argument that UFC releasing him is asinine.

thomson might be older but hes still more than capable of pushing every one of those guys., except nurmagomedov maybe.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

-Atom- posted:

I don't know I just like watching good fighters fight other good fighters

ill take some bad fighters and comedy even

individual865
Mar 26, 2007

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
Cool highlight of some of the year's best KOs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiiWMbrTLQs

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Whens the next moat fights/psp tv showing?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

MFC coming back means that Ryan Jimmo doesn't fight in a promotion I might accidentally watch so I'm all for it.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Bundt Cake posted:

thomson might be older but hes still more than capable of pushing every one of those guys., except nurmagomedov maybe.

I didn't mean to come off like Thomson sucks or anything because I agree, I don't think he would be an easy fight for any of those guys. But I do think Thomson's age is going to catch up to him quick while everybody UFC has right now is in their late 20s to early 30s, meaning those are the guys they're comfortable leading the division for the next few years. A guy like Josh Thomson is a lot more expendable when you have dudes like Khabib and Barboza and Pettis and such that are all a decade younger.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Thompson's too good to be a gatekeeper, too much potential for him to derail other guys' pushes, and the UFC doesn't want him winning any of their belts cuz he's always getting hurt. It sucks that they didn't re-sign him though cuz his fights were always good and he definitely made me more interested in any card he was on.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Remember when Josh elbowed Nate Diaz's brain out of his head at the HP Pavilion? Because I do

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
Josh Thompson is old and bellator offered him more money than the UFC was willing to match

Lord Waffle Beard
Dec 7, 2013
and Josh thompson has lost like 5 fights in a row.

What in the hell was the UFC thinking?!

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

and Josh thompson has lost like 5 fights in a row.
Looked at his record and was surprised to see that it's 5 of 7. Granted, three of those losses were coin-flip decisions (Melendez 3, Henderson, Green), but still.

Oh and 7 fights ago was on December 31, 2010. Cerrone has fought 18 times in that span.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

-Atom- posted:

Remember when Josh elbowed Nate Diaz's brain out of his head at the HP Pavilion? Because I do

I remember when Josh Thompson made a bunch of bitch rear end lady sounds against Nate Diaz, yes.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Bubba Smith posted:

I didn't mean to come off like Thomson sucks or anything because I agree, I don't think he would be an easy fight for any of those guys. But I do think Thomson's age is going to catch up to him quick while everybody UFC has right now is in their late 20s to early 30s, meaning those are the guys they're comfortable leading the division for the next few years. A guy like Josh Thomson is a lot more expendable when you have dudes like Khabib and Barboza and Pettis and such that are all a decade younger.

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Josh Thompson is old and bellator offered him more money than the UFC was willing to match

agreed

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Ditch posted:

December 31, 2010. Cerrone has fought 18 times in that span.
:drat:
God that is a lot of fights.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
One of those Gracie chaps is doing an ama on reddit, the abuse he is getting is pretty funny.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/3h1evm/ralek_gracie_metamoris_ceo_ask_me_anything/

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

willie_dee posted:

One of those Gracie chaps is doing an ama on reddit, the abuse he is getting is pretty funny.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bjj/comments/3h1evm/ralek_gracie_metamoris_ceo_ask_me_anything/
With bonus Joe Lauzon run-in.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I had a lot of fun at the CES show at Twin Rivers last night. It's worth catching a replay of the Dan Lauzon fight to see a hilarious knockout. There's a great round of trashweight later on too. Main event is skippable although it is slightly fantastic to hear an announcer overemphasize how this is for a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP and then declare the challenger is #4 in New England.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

http://www.gofundme.com/k3gz4vgk

hi my name is CHARLES BENNETT im a mma fighter ive been fighting for along time i will like to open a gym to be a positive influence in my community helping kids that less fortunate and to keep kids out of trouble a lot ive been through in life but never had the chance to be better at life at a young age which landed in several run-ins with the law the youth is our tomorrow so help me help them

niethan fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 16, 2015

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
It seems like a good idea to give Krazy Horse lots of money with no accountability.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

quote:

Charles “Krazy Horse” Bennett was arrested on a charges of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon after beating a sparing partner at the FIT ‘No Holds Bar’ gym in Albuquerque on Monday night. According to the ABQ Journal, Bennett left he gym after a sparring session with New Mexico high school wrestling champion Tyler East became a little heated. He left the gym but came back later that evening with a metal pipe and proceeded to beat down East before fleeing the scene.

Yes, let's have crazy horse run a gym that he is certainly going to also live out of.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Donation of $50- autographed photocopy of Krazy Horse's bail receipt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Hahahaha South Carolina is sanctioning loving Hip Show