Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's not even on standard right now, what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

littleorv posted:

CST is the only real time.

give my regards to the big country

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

8 pm EST is fin with me

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

7 CST is fine for me.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
0000h GMT is fine by me

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yo 5PM PST represent, just don't commute-post

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

unpronounceable posted:

0000h GMT is fine by me

It's 1am for us mate

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Namtab posted:

It's 1am for us mate

That changes everything. gently caress this time.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Namtab posted:

What will win, my love of anime or my love of being a good nurse

no man should die for an anime. but for this anime... maybe...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Monday's the big day all.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I'm excited

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

@41 .beats works fine.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
How many episodes are we watching each day? I might end up watching the first five or six regardless, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

for anyone looking for some background material before we get going I recommend https://www.gutenberg.org/files/18269/18269-h/18269-h.htm#SECTION_II and/or http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Always-Wanted-Afraid-Hitchcock/dp/0860915921

I have an uncle who works at kyoani and he tells me their adaptation was heavily influenced by Pascal and Lacan, and anyway they are pretty legit:

He who does not see the vanity of the world is himself very vain. Indeed who do not see it but youths who are absorbed in fame, diversion, and the thought of the future? But take away diversion, and you will see them dried up with weariness. They feel then their nothingness without knowing it; for it is indeed to be unhappy to be in insufferable sadness as soon as we are reduced to thinking of self, and have no diversion.

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Aug 16, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zas posted:

for anyone looking for some background material before we get going I recommend https://www.gutenberg.org/files/18269/18269-h/18269-h.htm#SECTION_II and/or http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Always-Wanted-Afraid-Hitchcock/dp/0860915921

I have an uncle who works at kyoani and he tells me their adaptation was heavily influenced by Pascal and Lacan, so you know, it's legit stuff.

You've gone too far this time.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

The Colonel posted:

You've gone too far this time.

we'll see!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

Haruhi season 3 would be excellent.
I was going to say that no it wouldn't, but if KyoAni did something kind of crazy with the episode structure for the last three books in the same way they did in the 2006 anime then it could be alright. The Mikuru book can gently caress off though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mentat Radnor posted:

How many episodes are we watching each day? I might end up watching the first five or six regardless, but I don't want to spoil anything.

I was planning on two, but I know towards the end I will probably watch the second half of season 1 in like a day or two. But discussion should be limited to two per viewing, if you watch ahead !

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I was going to say that no it wouldn't, but if KyoAni did something kind of crazy with the episode structure for the last three books in the same way they did in the 2006 anime then it could be alright. The Mikuru book can gently caress off though.

The Haruhi franchise is a goddamn minefield. :(

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Like many things similar to this, after a while the author doesn't seem to know where he's going with the plot and there's no way there's going to be a decent resolution. What we have of haruhi is probably all we need

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bet Kyo could do a good anime original ending or something. But Disappearance already basically is a good ending I suppose.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwcnaF31poM

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I really like the way he says The FRANchise

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

that video is credit to poster Triggerhappypilot btw

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

NAgato-chan is a good mang, but i have not watched the anim.

looks cute as heck tho

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The manga was really bad, so I didn't even bother with the anime

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Namtab posted:

NAgato-chan is a good mang, but i have not watched the anim.

looks cute as heck tho

I put two episodes in before I decided that I preferred it on manga form and stopped. I'll probably watch a couple more if I get really bored.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I liked this show when it came out, but I first watched it just before s2 happened to become a thing.

I'll probably watch along, just not the actual simulwatch time.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I watched season 1 soon after it came out, was super excited and followed season 2 until 5 or 6 episodes into Endless Eight. gently caress that poo poo.

I will do my best to follow this, but if the fuckery gets too strong from the fans or the series I'm out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maxwells Demon posted:

I watched season 1 soon after it came out, was super excited and followed season 2 until 5 or 6 episodes into Endless Eight. gently caress that poo poo.

I will do my best to follow this, but if the fuckery gets too strong from the fans or the series I'm out.

You watched all of Endless Eight except for the conclusion??

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I guess I can kind of get it, with the implication of watching it while it was being broadcast, but that is still literally giving up an episode before things start happening again, yeah.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm not going to be around for this tomorrow but I will post my thoughts afterwards.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

The Colonel posted:

I guess I can kind of get it, with the implication of watching it while it was being broadcast, but that is still literally giving up an episode before things start happening again, yeah.

Were you there each week, when half the forums were saying "okay, this episode has to be the last of this bullshit" and the other half were like "I dunno, KyoAni are a bunch of fuckers".

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

That was an incredible month

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

CrazySalamander posted:

I actually enjoyed The Disappearance of Yuki Nagato better than Haruhi, because it had less Haruhi, who I always found annoying. I watched Haruhi for the characters that weren't her. She was grating and annoying but the other characters made it worth it.

mr gay panic, ms sexual harassment victim, and rei from evangelion really steal the show

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

mr gay panic, ms sexual harassment victim, and rei from evangelion really steal the show

I totally see why you love the sexual assaulter whose tantrums threaten to end the world, and who also considers everyone playthings for her amusement. Also it's really funny to call characters gay as an insult, and characters who struggle with completely comprehending emotions are never used in celebrated scifi/fantasy.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

christ

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Wha?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

CrazySalamander posted:

I totally see why you love the sexual assaulter whose tantrums threaten to end the world, and who also considers everyone playthings for her amusement. Also it's really funny to call characters gay as an insult, and characters who struggle with completely comprehending emotions are never used in celebrated scifi/fantasy.

• Locked thread