Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

Can you remind me which episode this was mentioned?

I think it was episode 3, right before Mr Robot shoved Eliot off the boardwalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

empty baggie posted:

I think it was episode 3, right before Mr Robot shoved Eliot off the boardwalk.

Ahhhh, I completely forgot about that scene. Thanks!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Can you remind me which episode this was mentioned?
The first half of what you bolded, that Elliot holds animosity towards his father, is actually a complete mystery that's a part of my theory. I can only assume Elliot holds some kind of animosity because it's most likely the "shoved out a window" thing that made him change into the "DO NOT TOUCH" person he is. I'd go so far as to bet that Elliot is the one who wouldn't talk to his father "even on the day he died."

But yes, the boardwalk scene is when he said that his father is the one who held animosity towards him.

I also missed a key part of my theory. I bet you that for season 2 or 3, Elliot loses the memory of his family again and when this happens, Mr. Robot once again uses it as an opportunity to start a new kind of hack.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 15, 2015

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

DaveKap posted:

The first half of what you bolded, that Elliot holds animosity towards his father, is actually a complete mystery that's a part of my theory. I can only assume Elliot holds some kind of animosity because it's most likely the "shoved out a window" thing that made him change into the "DO NOT TOUCH" person he is. I'd go so far as to bet that Elliot is the one who wouldn't talk to his father "even on the day he died."

But yes, the boardwalk scene is when he said that his father is the one who held animosity towards him.

I also missed a key part of my theory. I bet you that for season 2 or 3, Elliot loses the memory of his family again and when this happens, Mr. Robot once again uses it as an opportunity to start a new kind of hack.

The "ghost of regret" theory sounds wholly plausible, and fits pretty much everything we've seen so far.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Anyone gone back over the earlier episodes to see how things stack up in light of the latest revelations? It feels like they've had the story laid out from the beginning.

This show is so loving good right now. One of the best things on TV. Love the tone they've struck with the soundtrack and design. Its title sequences are a thing of beauty.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Anyone gone back over the earlier episodes to see how things stack up in light of the latest revelations? It feels like they've had the story laid out from the beginning.

This show is so loving good right now. One of the best things on TV. Love the tone they've struck with the soundtrack and design. Its title sequences are a thing of beauty.

The main "tell me you're seeing this too" theme is especially great. It does a really good job at cranking up the unease/creating a sense of something big happening.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Mr. Robot has called Elliott "kiddo" a significant number of times in the early episodes. And it's pretty obvious that Elliott and Darlene are siblings from her interactions with him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

In last week's episode when Mr. Robot and Romero were talking Romero tells Mr. Robot to "tell the kids I said hi." Which could be interpreted multiple ways.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Man, I'm on episode 5 and I'm really waffling on if Mr Robot is all in Eliots head or not.

Near the end of the episode Darlene seems to have a direct back and forth face to face conversation with Mr Robot that seems like it couldn't be explained away as her just talking to the group.

Yeah the entire end of episode 5 definitely suggests Mr Robot is a real person.

This show really deals in extremely evil antagonists though, both Vera and Tyrrell are so disgustingly bad it's almost cartoonish.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 16, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Le Saboteur posted:

This show really deals in extremely evil antagonists though, both Vera and Tyrrell are so disgustingly bad it's almost cartoonish.
Nah man, they just wanna gently caress society too and are capable of doing it their way.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure Tyrell is the deuteragonist here as in the second character to root for

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Yeah, he'd be pretty evil if he didn't actually give a drat about what he did half the time. He certainly didn't fully intend to stoop as low as he's done on his own volition, couple that with his huge sense of remorse over the CTO-to-be's wife's murder, and I can say that he's not quite irredeemable yet. He could honestly end up coming out of this as an anti-hero if they wanted to go that route.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Joe Gillian posted:

Yeah, he'd be pretty evil if he didn't actually give a drat about what he did half the time. He certainly didn't fully intend to stoop as low as he's done on his own volition, couple that with his huge sense of remorse over the CTO-to-be's wife's murder, and I can say that he's not quite irredeemable yet. He could honestly end up coming out of this as an anti-hero if they wanted to go that route.

He even found god in the last episode so I think we're about to experience his messianic, redemptive arc

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

This show is like if YOSPOS and TCC had a D&D crackbaby. I haven't caught up on all the episodes (currently on the Steel Mountain episode, I think that's 4?) but I'm greatly enjoying it so far. The USA network site sure does love its 3-minute long ads dropping five times during the stream though.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

I love binge watching, but I feel like I miss out minor details while binging. What I enjoyed about watching Lost and Breaking Bad was getting on SA and pouring over all the little minor details.

Haha, each to their own and all that, but doing exactly that was what almost ruined season 4 of Breaking Bad for me. Remember all that retarded drama about "did Mike shoot Jessie?" For page after page.

Anyways, back on topic. My crazy thing was that for a brief while I was entertaining the theory that Elliot and Tyrell were the same person, but dropped it because after the last few episodes it was too ridiculous, moreso than it already was.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Olive Branch posted:

This show is like if YOSPOS and TCC had a D&D crackbaby.

This is a good way to summarize a lot of the plot. There's a lot of overly-justified drug use and mostly-competent security abuse.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
I think Elliot has a split mind, but that mr. robot is real.

What stands out to me is that Elliot and Darlene are both hackers and the most likely explanation is that they have been taught by a single person: mr. robot. I don't think anything we have seen so far is false or distorted, we are just missing information because Elliot doesn't know either. If his dad died and the pictures of 'kiddo' Elliot and mr. Robot are real, then maybe mr. robot is actually his uncle or something. Psychiatric problems can run in families and some schizophrenics can remain quite functional even when they are delusional. Schizophrenics can understand how their disease and mind works and perhaps Elliot is using his mental vulnerabilities to hack his own mind.

When Elliot talks to the observer, I think he's actually talking to his real self, the self that has retained all of his memories and is simply observing, but not acting. Somehow he has deluded himself into thinking that the observer he talks to is not his real self, but simply a figment of his imagination. Perhaps because he thought repressing his memories by splitting his mind would help him carry out the plan by fsociety (which is probably also largely his own creation). Mr. robot is probably the only person who actually knows what is going on and he is playing along because Elliot previously instructed him to do so.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I don't know what happens in episode 8, but after Tyrrell straight up murders the CTOs wife in episode 7 I find it hard to see him as a redeemable character.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Whoever posted spoilers about this latest episode REALLY pissed Elliott off, lol. He freakin attacked us!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Tyrell is an alien looking fucker

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Le Saboteur posted:

I don't know what happens in episode 8, but after Tyrrell straight up murders the CTOs wife in episode 7 I find it hard to see him as a redeemable character.

Maybe in the real world, but in the warped Mr Robot universe, where Evil Corp is comprised of ambition-and-greed-above-all-else psychopaths I find him redeemable.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Nice parallel (stole this off of Reddit):

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Tailored Sauce posted:

"I mean, I guess I'm a pretty sick guy."

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tailored Sauce posted:

What show/movie is that on the left?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

American Psycho.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Jose posted:

He reminds me of Agent Brown of The Matrix a bit:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Jose posted:

So Swedish then?

SomethingLiz
Jan 23, 2009
As far as Slater really being dead, I keep thinking back to the flashback with young Elliot and his mom, where she gives zero fucks that her husband has died, and basically tells Elliot to get over it. If there's anything that points to him not really being dead, I think that would be it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

So Swedish then?

"He's like a sexy swedish vampire"

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Forgive me if I'm misremembering, but in the flashback with Elliot's mother was she not noticeably sick, as in coughing a fair amount? Might give some credence to the mom died from Ecorp theory. Seems like an odd detail to include without explanation.

I kinda think the show will pull a huge twist at the end and have this all be taking place inside his brain - an AI brain that is set on taking down human civilization. Sounds stupid but if it was done right it could be cool.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I thought it was original score, but I just found out the song used during :siren:THE REVEAL:siren: last week is called "Gone" by M83. It's pretty great.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLpCLxi32Xk

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I wonder if Elliots court ordered therapy has something to do with his memory blackouts. As far as I know they haven't showed why he was ordered to go.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Spergatory posted:

I thought it was original score, but I just found out the song used during :siren:THE REVEAL:siren: last week is called "Gone" by M83. It's pretty great.

m83 did the oblivion sound track and whatever you think of the film, its an amazing sound track

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
My favorite background music from this saeson so far was during the Shayla trunk reveal scene.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

joebuddah posted:

I wonder if Elliots court ordered therapy has something to do with his memory blackouts. As far as I know they haven't showed why he was ordered to go.

The therapy seems like an odd situation. It is/was important to understanding Elliot's mind and provided that excellent scene where he "reveals" himself to the therapist so it has to be in the show, but it's not the kind of thing his character would do voluntarily so it has to be mandated by authority. This runs up against the post-Darlene reveal search scene, though, since if he did something to warrant court-ordered therapy sessions he would almost certainly have shown up in a few databases and wouldn't be the complete ghost that he appears to be in that scene.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

The therapy seems like an odd situation. It is/was important to understanding Elliot's mind and provided that excellent scene where he "reveals" himself to the therapist so it has to be in the show, but it's not the kind of thing his character would do voluntarily so it has to be mandated by authority. This runs up against the post-Darlene reveal search scene, though, since if he did something to warrant court-ordered therapy sessions he would almost certainly have shown up in a few databases and wouldn't be the complete ghost that he appears to be in that scene.

You mean the kind of database he would have hacked and deleted himself from

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone come across any articles about how Mr. Robot came to be on USA? I'm curious to know if it was shopped around to other networks.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

savinhill posted:

My favorite background music from this saeson so far was during the Shayla trunk reveal scene.

I thought the very next scene (opening flashback to how they met) set to "Pictures of You" is their best use of music yet with. A bit too much on-the-nose maybe, but it worked really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Jose posted:

You mean the kind of database he would have hacked and deleted himself from

If that were the case why would he have bothered going to therapy at all?

• Locked thread