Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

What's a good essentia distillation setup look like without golems? IIRC the alchemy core requires infusion and blarg I can't be bothered yet, but I don't remember how to make TC pipes not suck.

You can do this by piping everything to a bank of crystalizers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
The 'pure' thaumcraft method is just to use buffers instead of pipes. Maybe set up Crystallizers as well. It's slow as buildcraft and kind of pricy but at least the pipes won't get clogged.

Thaumic Energistics is in the pack though and it inherently fixes all those issues (though you start having to worry about channels instead, which is a bit of a pain - don't want to be debugging a channel jam in the middle of an infusion).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

What's a good essentia distillation setup look like without golems? IIRC the alchemy core requires infusion and blarg I can't be bothered yet, but I don't remember how to make TC pipes not suck.

if you're really desperate do everything with phials

they don't get used up any more so they are alright for moving essentia around as long as everything is in 8s

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oh yeah, Thaumic Energistics is in this huh. I suppose I should buckle down and start on AE before I get too far with this alchemical nonsense.

Still haven't found all the tech metals though, missing copper and platinum :(

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Oh yeah, Thaumic Energistics is in this huh. I suppose I should buckle down and start on AE before I get too far with this alchemical nonsense.

Still haven't found all the tech metals though, missing copper and platinum :(

make a pickaxe of the core, it's pretty awful but one of the things it can find with regularity is copper and tin

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Serifina posted:

That flower is hard-coded to only generate from vanilla TNT, for the record. But it generates a ton of mana - give it a spreader of its own, with a potency lens, right against a mana pool (highest tier spreader you can). It literally generates mana as fast as you can pump it into the pool. Be careful not to explode another TNT until it is 100% finished or the explosion will be ignored and will damage terrain instead.

sounds like i need to get my hands on an easy source of gunpowder pretty soon

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

At the risk of sounding kinda dumb, how would I go about setting up some multiplayer Blightfall between me and one or two friends? I don't want to rent out a server or anything.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

What's the deal with the caches? I've gone to two locations and dug around all over the place and haven't found anything at all.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Taffer posted:

What's the deal with the caches? I've gone to two locations and dug around all over the place and haven't found anything at all.

They just have higher-than-average(for blightfall) spawns of the six tech metals. There's nothing special there beyond that.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have two suggestions for Blightfall:

1. Either outright give out some aluminum brass, or make it purchasable from the supplier very early. The lack of aluminum brass materials IMO is makes the initial progression very tedious.
2. If they want to keep that food buffer, consider giving one or two tofu. IIRC the press for it requires some iron. By the time you have iron, I think you're starting to hit the pinch with food variety, so it gives some possibilities at just the right moment.

I know what people say about Metallurgy, but I get the impression the goal is to get into the Thaumcraft toys and alternate methods for mining after upgrading past promethium. If not, I would suggest doing something else. The problem with making a metallurgy progression is that it draws out in a grind. It's not like each metal has really special strengths; some have little enchantability bonuses or whatever, but that's it. Instead, it becomes make pick -> get ore -> make new pick -> get new ore -> ...... make Nth new pick -> get last ore. It's very one-dimensional. I generally like the idea of having it in the pack because it's adding to the idea that this isn't just some world with ancient magic, but rather it's a very alien place with a completely different understanding of the universe. I think that atmosphere makes the pack strong. So bizarro-world ores have a place.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

At the risk of sounding kinda dumb, how would I go about setting up some multiplayer Blightfall between me and one or two friends? I don't want to rent out a server or anything.

Best bet is one of you having the computer power and bandwidth to spare to host the server for yourself, with max 3 people, that's not much needed.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Maiden posted:

Best bet is one of you having the computer power and bandwidth to spare to host the server for yourself, with max 3 people, that's not much needed.

Right, but how do I host the server? I have no idea what I'm doing here.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Taffer posted:

I'm playing with other people who are doing Thaumcraft, and I'm not dealing with it. They hadn't researched it and making a flower generator was easy once I got all the colors.

Floral fertilizer doesn't require thaumcraft though??? You just make a botania mortar&pestle, turn some flowers into petals, grind up those petals, combine the powder with bonemeal. It's single color only, though.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

Right, but how do I host the server? I have no idea what I'm doing here.

Well I assume you know how to download it and install it.

So you need to either get tunneling software, like Hamachi (Which is bad, just an example), or port forward in your router

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Maiden posted:

Well I assume you know how to download it and install it.

I don't - that's why I've asked, twice now, how I would do such a thing as to set up a small Blightfall server. What am I meant to be downloading and installing? Blightfall itself? Some server utility? And furthermore, what port do I want to forward?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 16, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't - that's why I've asked, twice now, how I would do such a thing as to set up a small Blightfall server. What am I meant to be downloading and installing? Blightfall itself? Some server utility? And furthermore, what port do I want to forward?

The server package is: http://servers.technicpack.net/Technic/servers/blightfall/Blightfall_Server_v2.1.0.zip

All technic packs that have a server download list it in the bottons on the right side of the pack page. You should be able to just extract it tot he folder you want it to run from and run start.bat or start.sh depending on OS.

EDIT: YOu want to forward whatever port it's running on, which is listed in server.properties after server starts.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

So I need Cobalt and Aldurate to complete the nether ore quests. I've found the others by just smashing my way through a shitton of Netherrack in the Volcano, but these two are proving elusive. Should I be looking for at any particular height?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just got my focal manipulator running. I'm not really interested in Frugal since I can just carry spare wands/vis batteries now thanks to CV, but I'm not sure whether I want potency, treasure, or enlarge at each level. Suggestions?

Suggestions for the spark focus while I'm at it?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

30.5 Days posted:

The server package is: http://servers.technicpack.net/Technic/servers/blightfall/Blightfall_Server_v2.1.0.zip

All technic packs that have a server download list it in the bottons on the right side of the pack page. You should be able to just extract it tot he folder you want it to run from and run start.bat or start.sh depending on OS.

EDIT: YOu want to forward whatever port it's running on, which is listed in server.properties after server starts.

Thanks! Just out of curiosity, how much worse WOULD Hamachi be? I'm not sure if I'm in a position to fiddle with ports, so it might come to that.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Lizard Wizard posted:

Thanks! Just out of curiosity, how much worse WOULD Hamachi be? I'm not sure if I'm in a position to fiddle with ports, so it might come to that.

the main problem with hamachi is that it opens your entire computer to the guests on your network, not just one port

it'd be like they were plugged in to your router and with you at home

if you trust the people you're playing with not to try and hack your gibsons then it's fine

also you don't technically have to run a server, with hamachi (or other port forwarding) you can just start minecraft and hit the "OPEN TO LAN" button in the escape menu

however this means your friends can only play when you're playing

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Glory of Arioch posted:

the main problem with hamachi is that it opens your entire computer to the guests on your network, not just one port

it'd be like they were plugged in to your router and with you at home

if you trust the people you're playing with not to try and hack your gibsons then it's fine

also you don't technically have to run a server, with hamachi (or other port forwarding) you can just start minecraft and hit the "OPEN TO LAN" button in the escape menu

however this means your friends can only play when you're playing

Excellent. Do I have to do anything in particular to make Minecraft use Hamachi's little virtual network, or will it just work?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

So I need Cobalt and Aldurate to complete the nether ore quests. I've found the others by just smashing my way through a shitton of Netherrack in the Volcano, but these two are proving elusive. Should I be looking for at any particular height?

I don't know offhand, but I do know that the first volume of the materials books (ie the green book with a yellow I on the front of it) will tell you what heights it's at.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

Excellent. Do I have to do anything in particular to make Minecraft use Hamachi's little virtual network, or will it just work?

My (vague) understanding of hamachi is that it makes it look like everyone's on the same network so it should just work.

Also a chunk of the SMP testing for blightfall was done with talonos & his wife with LAN so there shouldn't be any LAN weirdness.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Magres posted:

I don't know offhand, but I do know that the first volume of the materials books (ie the green book with a yellow I on the front of it) will tell you what heights it's at.

Ah yeah, knew I'd forgotten something! Cheers.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

They should be able to just type in your Hamachi IP

I called out Hamachi as bad because unless you want to pay like $25 a month, you're limited to 4 people per VLAN

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Maiden posted:

They should be able to just type in your Hamachi IP

I called out Hamachi as bad because unless you want to pay like $25 a month, you're limited to 4 people per VLAN

Well hey, not a problem for me! And just to idiotproof things, that's the IP next to the power button icon in Hamachi, yes?

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well hey, not a problem for me! And just to idiotproof things, that's the IP next to the power button icon in Hamachi, yes?

Yeah

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Having a Tainted Scout shoot at me after trekking through the blight to the Spires location was a really :tviv: moment

scared the shiiit out of me

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Magres posted:

Is there a way to prevent the locked info on this book from resetting when you log on? I hate having to pick up some previously mined ore to unlock where the next tier is.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Is there a way to prevent the locked info on this book from resetting when you log on? I hate having to pick up some previously mined ore to unlock where the next tier is.

Never log off :v:

E: Where do you get potatoes? I have never seen potato seeds from requisitions and dunno which village to hit

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 16, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Magres posted:

E: Where do you get potatoes? I have never seen potato seeds from requisitions and dunno which village to hit

I found a bunch in one of the upper fields in Redwood City, personally.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Magres posted:

The big village dead east of biodome beta/immediately south of the redwood city point has a bunch on some cliffside terraces.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

I found a bunch in one of the upper fields in Redwood City, personally.

On that note, don't stick around long enough for masses of taint swarms to start spawning. Having to fend off 4 taint swarms and bunches of tainted animals is not fun.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Thanks guys! Got some and its time for some :science:

E: If anyone was wondering about Infusion Altar stability range,

Short version is "three blocks below the bottom of the altar, a long ways in every other direction"

I just used this to set up my Altar room with 80 candles underneath the altar (9x9 room with the center candle left out) and 16 candles in the room itself.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 16, 2015

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone compiling a list of secrets for blightfall yet?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

While I did manage to find potatoes, where's carrots?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The two villages northwest of Biodome Beta have carrots, as well as pink and magenta flowers

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Not really a secret, but unsurprisingly directly underneath Bio-Dome Alpha is a great place to look for everybody that's been having ore issues. If you go down to about 45-50 and branch mine towards the North-West just outside of the Dome's clean area you'll find a little cave with a shaft that leads straight down to a couple pools of lava, bring some ladders and a Bloom or two. At around 47-50 in the clean area under the Dome there's all sorts of the shallow ores that people are complaining about only finding a piece or two of. Not a lot, but 2-5 of them. Down in the cave complex with the lava pools, if you take the cave East you'll see a piece of gold ore in the floor. Dig it up and that'll look like that's it, but dig up some more in the area and you can find about 10 pieces. In the shaft that leads to the lava pools there's a bunch of Ferrous, Redstone and Lapis, and some Aluminum. Lots of caves lead off the shaft too, so there's bound to be even more of the plains ores to find without too much trouble.

Onean fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 16, 2015

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
how the hell am I supposed to plant the sunflower seeds I get from seedbags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Magres posted:

Thanks guys! Got some and its time for some :science:

E: If anyone was wondering about Infusion Altar stability range,

Short version is "three blocks below the bottom of the altar, a long ways in every other direction"

I just used this to set up my Altar room with 80 candles underneath the altar (9x9 room with the center candle left out) and 16 candles in the room itself.

You can also use mana pylons, they have like 10x the effect of candles