Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Do a poll in next season's thread: Who killed Hanna?
- Daniel
- Trey
- George
- Chris
- Cthulhu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm not counting Melvin out.

His absence in the finale was awfully suspicious :tinfoil:

I also thought they were actually writing John out of the show, what with him and Amantha breaking up, but apparently not.

Also great how the only moment Jared had in the episode was "Can I play?" "NO" I feel bad for the actor, but then again, that's an easy paycheck.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Lycus posted:

Trey didn't kill George, but he did try to cover up his suicide for two seasons, the tried to frame Daniel for his death. Would he do all that to conceal a rape he couldn't be charged with?

How would he know he couldn't be charged with a rape? His whole motivation was that so he wouldn't be charged with Hanna's rape.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

warcrimes posted:

How would he know he couldn't be charged with a rape? His whole motivation was that so he wouldn't be charged with Hanna's rape.

We don't know if he knows or not, but it's not like statute of limitations is a secret concept. But if he killed Hanna, his real motivation for covering up George's death is clear.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 15, 2015

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
This show is phenomenal. Loved the finale except for one flaw: We didnt get to see Daniel tell Janet about Kerwin.

I was so excited when Daniel brought him up then... :(

I do hope we see Kerwin again before it's all over.

VVVV Haha. Having grown up in a Georgia town much like Paulie,I had the same thought about Amantha and Teddy.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 15, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If McKinnon really wants to capture the spirit of Southern Georgia he could have Amantha and Teddy hook up :v:

e: I kid but that really crossed my mind during their bonding scene

Riled Shareef
Dec 19, 2013
I was also surprised at the total lack of Bobby Dean this season. He seemed to be turning against the idea that Daniel was his sister's killer. News that Daniel didn't rape Hanna will only help him make that change in thinking.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think maybe they just couldn't get Bobby's actor back for whatever reason. Jared stalking Hannah's old room and Daniel "pardoning" Bobby definitely made me think Daniel/Bobby squaring off in a fair fight (of words, at least) was in the cards.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa
Bobby letting Jared go really seemed like the natural end of his arc. It repaid Daniel's act of forgiveness and it was clear he was done with living under the shadow of Hanna's murder. I suppose he might get reinvolved if a new suspect publicly emerges, but I don't think he'll be out for blood again.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
Late to the party but courtesy of binge-watching, all caught up now.

Wow, what a show.

Shark Fin Blues is my new favorite song.

Tawny and Teddy's actors are off-the-charts good, with writing and characterization to match.

Everyone else is pretty drat good too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had thought the concept of Daniel and Tawny ending up together had been taken off the table, but putting it back on there in the finale was breathtaking. I love how the show gave no indication of whether it was Daniel's dream, hers, or a legitimate psychic encounter thing.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

First immediate thought was that it was a legit flashback and they were revealing that Tawny had visited him in prison, and I was trying to recall the first episode and if there was any indication that they were pretending to have first met. When I realized that was wrong, I totally thought it was Daniel's dream, so they fooled me.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 16, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

First immediate thought was that it was a legit flashback and they were revealing that Tawny had visited him in prison

Same, I think that was the intent. Was a mindfuck until I realized Daniel wasn't actually wearing cuffs, he just had his hand in the position out of habit.

Riled Shareef
Dec 19, 2013
The way everything wraps up I think a time jump might be in order to get main players back into Paulie next season. Jon going off to Boston (right after his visit with the Senator) and Daniel being isolated from every main character makes me think that might happen. I mean, it'd be unbelievably entertaining to have Daniel interacting with a bunch of strangers but I don't know that the show would do that. Every character had an ending this season that has an "all is well" vibe (like Amantha, Teddy, Daniel), or at least a "needs time to simmer" vibe (Tawney, maybe Trey) . A couple months / a year in the show passing by would be interesting given its pacing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think that's probably quite likely. Murder trials take a while to get sorted, so Trey's got at least a few months to wait for any movement on that. The show seems ready to let go of "prison Daniel", as shown by his final goodbye to the literal prison. I just wonder what new habits and hobbies he'll pick up in the halfway house. I think it would be kind of boring to have him just become a better person and keep being a hard-working Philosophical Jesus, and would also be too easy to do that. One of the things season 2 did really well was show that Daniel can have a good time and is still in many ways a teenager, since those party years were stolen from him.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

warcrimes posted:

What do you think was going on in that scene?

My read is that it showed that Daniel's control over his rage-impulses is slowly improving.

He has major anger issues, repressed under his preternaturally calm persona/affect. We saw this in how he responded to Teddy's provocation.

The paint spilling was his response to having to confess (perhaps untruthfully) and submit to the bureaucratic requirements of probation. He got mad, he spilled the paint, almost immediately regretted it and set out to clean it up.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Lycus posted:

First immediate thought was that it was a legit flashback and they were revealing that Tawny had visited him in prison, and I was trying to recall the first episode and if there was any indication that they were pretending to have first met. When I realized that was wrong, I totally thought it was Daniel's dream, so they fooled me.

Same.

Finndo posted:

My read is that it showed that Daniel's control over his rage-impulses is slowly improving.

He has major anger issues, repressed under his preternaturally calm persona/affect. We saw this in how he responded to Teddy's provocation.

The paint spilling was his response to having to confess (perhaps untruthfully) and submit to the bureaucratic requirements of probation. He got mad, he spilled the paint, almost immediately regretted it and set out to clean it up.

Me too.

Hmm, we're way too agreeable in this thread. Someone flip a table or work cthulhu rape dolls into the convo.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Surprised no one mentioned the scrunchy the female deputy found in an ammo Box in Trey's garage/storage shed. They obviously wanted the audience to see that, and I'm not so sure it was a red herring--it told me that Trey was heavily involved in Hannah's rape and/or murder and I feel like next season we're going to hear about that seemingly innocuous dirty pink hair scrunchy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought we were supposed to think it had been used as a gag or something, if you're talking about the thing I remember. Which, yeah.

Riled Shareef
Dec 19, 2013
Totally forgot about the scrunchy. I just wonder if they're making Trey too obvious to be the end-all bad guy. The finale cast some suspicion on the Senator which, I don't know why he'd be down there or why he'd kill Hanna but... hey!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I honestly don't think "too obvious" is really a factor. Being that this is a character drama instead of a thriller. There doesn't need to be a twist.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In season 5 of Rectify we learn that Hannah's real killer, all along, had been Kerwin.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

precision posted:

In season 5 of Rectify we learn that Hannah's real killer, all along, had been Kerwin.

Or the State of Georgia...

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

precision posted:

*insert Keanu meme here*

Riled Shareef posted:

Totally forgot about the scrunchy. I just wonder if they're making Trey too obvious to be the end-all bad guy. The finale cast some suspicion on the Senator which, I don't know why he'd be down there or why he'd kill Hanna but... hey!

Lycus posted:

I honestly don't think "too obvious" is really a factor. Being that this is a character drama instead of a thriller. There doesn't need to be a twist.

I don't think there's a twist, I think the plot wants us to know the whole thing is pretty straightforward, and they just haven't gotten all the facts yet.

And the senator has had suspicion on him since the first season, maybe not for Hanna's rape and murder but for covering up something. I think what we have here is a classic Good Ol' Boys Club, except way more hosed up.

I don't know about anyone else, but I found the scene where they searched Trey's house to be really chilling...the way he just sat there with his family watching cartoons and laughing while they tore poo poo apart. That's just not something you see in other shows, that kind of scene.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I liked the fact that Trey's favorite show is Squidbillies

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

precision posted:

I liked the fact that Trey's favorite show is Squidbillies

Yeah. And with Rectify set in Georgia, The Appalachian Mountain Squid show is perfectly apt.

What was the exchange with his daughter? Something like

Daughter: Daddy I don't like Squidbillies!
Trey: Hush girl, that's blasphemy.

Blasphemy, indeed. Early Cuyler, Booty Hunter, is the best.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Clowny daggers, y'all.

Riled Shareef
Dec 19, 2013
Can I just say Daggett is the man? He has the best "zero time for your bullshit" face I've ever seen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh no doubt, Jake Austin has got that role down. He also sounded so drat happy when he was arresting Trey.

Riled Shareef
Dec 19, 2013
How old would the Sheriff have been during the incident? Around the same age as all the kids there? A low level beat cop? I faintly remember a conversation in the show where he talks about showing up at the scene and seeing Daniel over her body or something.

Why does this thread have 3 pages? I get that it's niche but I feel like TVIV should be all over this masterpiece.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Lycus posted:

Due to the Season 4 renewal, I'm guessing that Trey won't be arrested for Hannah's murder this season.

Check out this nub from the beginning of the season!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Riled Shareef posted:

How old would the Sheriff have been during the incident? Around the same age as all the kids there? A low level beat cop? I faintly remember a conversation in the show where he talks about showing up at the scene and seeing Daniel over her body or something.

Why does this thread have 3 pages? I get that it's niche but I feel like TVIV should be all over this masterpiece.

This thread has three pages because everyone is still inexplicably arguing, talking poo poo, and poo poo posting in the True Detective thread. Except for anyone from that thread who came here because Rectify is better.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
just caught up and yeah I think the senator could very well be Hannah's dad or something since they've shown that he's of a philanderin' type (with the waitress - what does she really know?) He also has a huge distaste for Daniels mannerisms and weirdness and just felt he did it and won't take no for an answer regarding it, hence his defiance to Jon even when presented with evidence that Trey is definitely covering up a bigger crime.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Riled Shareef posted:

TVIV is a clique-y kind of place, and a fair number of the frequent posters don't like me. :ms:

I want to say the Sheriff was actually already a cop when Hannah was killed. He found the body. The actor is 46, so about 8 years older than Daniel/Trey, though I think the show is presenting him as a bit younger than that. But yeah, he was a cop already.

Also, I just noticed this show has a 100% at RottenTomatoes. Dang.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

warcrimes posted:

Check out this nub from the beginning of the season!

Well I was half right. He was arrested for George instead of Hanna. :v:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Man, what a great season. There's just something about this show that fills you up (spiritually? mentally?) when you watch it. I did almost forget that George shot himself, though, with how loving shady Trey acted.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had totally forgotten and spent the first 5 episodes thinking Trey actually did kill him before going to check

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

precision posted:

TVIV is a clique-y kind of place, and a fair number of the frequent posters don't like me. :ms:

TV IV is a shithole full of dipshits but you are easily one of my favorite posters and we seem to like the same shows, so your taste is impeccable!

Lycus posted:

Well I was half right. He was arrested for George instead of Hanna. :v:

Yeah, just having fun, it made me laugh when I read it last night.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Despite being a huge fan of the show since it first aired, it took me a long time to actually watch S3 but finally caught up on it now. What a lovely, haunting show. Six episodes is the perfect amount for a season of Rectify and this was on par with S1.

While the details of the night of Hanna's death are still compelling it was the character work (and tremendous acting!) that was the star once again this year. Very impressed with Clayne Crawford in particular - he really shined above the rest. It's a crime, although not a surprising one at all, that the show hasn't garnered any Emmy attention whatsoever.

Very excited for next season. I do hope we get to see Kerwin again - just having Daniel mention his name made me remember one of my favorite scenes of all time and I would love to see him one more time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-YFyHhY5iU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
I just finished watching the entire third season a little bit ago. I loved that ending. I'm overjoyed that we're going to have a fourth season, but if it hadn't been renewed that would've been a lovely way to close things off. Despite the fact that we still don't know all of what happened the night Hannah died, there was a big sense of finality. I felt like there was, anyways. Seriously, that ending had me so happy. I was grinning like an idiot when the credits rolled.

The season was tied together so perfectly, too. When it got ten episodes last year I was super happy, but I really feel like six is the magic number when it comes to this series. The only complaint I had about the season was that we didn't get to see Kerwin or Bobby Dean, but at the same time I understand why. Their parts in the story are more or less closed off, for the time being at least. I just wanted to see Kerwin because he's one of my favorite characters, and delivered one of my favorite lines. That scene where he tells Daniel he knows he isn't guilty really hit me. "Because I know you." How could words so simple be so poignant? That's also the scene that sold to me that Daniel is most likely innocent.

All in all, it was a great season. I can't wait for the next one. I might actually live watch this one, haha.

• Locked thread