Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Taffer posted:

You can also use mana pylons, they have like 10x the effect of candles

I might switch to them at some point. I just had a stack of zombie flesh for some reason (seriously, I have no idea how I got that much zombie flesh in a world where there are like no zombies, is there a quest or something that gives zombie flehs?) so I rolled with it and made a bunch of candles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
The HQM book mentions that I'm supposed to get a book from making Seared Bricks, but that doesn't seem to happen. Has anyone else had that happen?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm nearing the end of the thaumcraft tech tree and finally trying to get an ME network up but I've never done that mod before so it's slow going. I only have four diamonds and is there a way to get a crusher for silicon besides hoping for it in a machine bag? Rubber is such a bitch to get but I haven't found a tree anywhere so in stuck farming bitumen.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Magres posted:

I might switch to them at some point. I just had a stack of zombie flesh for some reason (seriously, I have no idea how I got that much zombie flesh in a world where there are like no zombies, is there a quest or something that gives zombie flehs?) so I rolled with it and made a bunch of candles.

I think killing the special tainted NPCs that spawn in villages/setpieces can drop it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
So, I used a stone gun, and I can kill a tainted guard with 6 stone bullets. VERY VERY EFFECTIVE FOR THE COST!

I'm gonna make a mob drop just for collecting gunpowder for bullets now.

Edit: if you have access to botanica mana, you should be making manasteel endcaps for your wands and staffs. It's just as effective as thaumium for significantly less cost.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 16, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Explain to me what a mob drop is and how do I build one?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

Explain to me what a mob drop is and how do I build one?

It's a tall tower with a dark room at the top monsters can spawn in. You either leave it as-is or use flowing water/conveyor belts in trenches to push them into the center, which is an open drop designed to kill everything. Then you get free monster loot! :buddy:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yaaayyyy, I made my first ethereal blooms :woop:

... god drat that's a lot of work :saddowns:

(edit) is there an ideal way to grow nether wart or is it "set them down on soul sand and wait X hours"?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 17, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

President Ark posted:

I think killing the special tainted NPCs that spawn in villages/setpieces can drop it.

Ooooh yeah I killed a goddamned pile of them clearing out the village near my base.

Holy cow, I did a little digging in the Thaumic Tinkerer config and TTKAMI is enabled. Which is, uh, crazy. TTKAMI is a section of Thaumic Tinkerer that adds some really, really endgame level gear (it all takes multiple nether stars, per piece of gear, to make) and more or less gives you godmode. In particular, the Kami wand gets like 75% vis cost and holds 1000 vis of every aspect (not a typo, there are supposed to be three zeroes) and the pick lets you get into a dimension it adds that has veins of ores from y=256 to y=0 that are roughly a 5x5 of an ore type, all the way down.

Ciaphas posted:

yaaayyyy, I made my first ethereal blooms :woop:

... god drat that's a lot of work :saddowns:

(edit) is there an ideal way to grow nether wart or is it "set them down on soul sand and wait X hours"?

Plunk em down on soul sand and wait. You can get tons of soul sand on the surface near the waypoint of the nether-y island though, I have nearly 200 nether wart plants in a big farm just outside my biodome. Once you get like 10-20 ethereal blooms (do the bloom quest for the paranormalist if you haven't) then you can clear huge amounts of space and actually have enough room for nice things like a huge wheat farm (for rep) and a nether wart farm and a tree farm.

Specter1357
Mar 31, 2010
You guys have any idea where I can get a hold of some black granite cobblestone in blightfall? I have been to every place I can think of but it just wont show up.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Specter1357 posted:

You guys have any idea where I can get a hold of some black granite cobblestone in blightfall? I have been to every place I can think of but it just wont show up.

I think I remember finding around the Arches waypoint.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well, going to the first ore "cache" and realizing a) it's a mineshaft and b) there's like one nickel/ferrous in there makes me sad. I'm out of invar and I can't make an induction smelter (and thereby take apart the ticon smeltery forever) without it. :(

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Man the lack of good power generation really starts to glare as you go on. You're really expected to just barely touch other mods besides thaumcraft in this pack and that makes me sad.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You might be able to ghetto power stuff with Botania RF generation. I don't know how powerful that is though.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Taffer posted:

Man the lack of good power generation really starts to glare as you go on. You're really expected to just barely touch other mods besides thaumcraft in this pack and that makes me sad.

Get a Resonant cell, refill it with rep, refill rep with bread :getin:

But yeah BigReactors being the only actual power generation was kinda disappointing

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

You might be able to ghetto power stuff with Botania RF generation. I don't know how powerful that is though.

Well that's one of my problems right now, good mana generation is really difficult without leaning on RF, for making lava or running huge harvesters. I could do a ton of endoflames but dealing with that redstone without RFtools or EIO is just :effort:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you get into Blood Magic and clean up the Obsidian Tower island, the interior of the thing is a giant setup for a Well of Suffering and you can use that to power a Lava Tablet that you can use to spam lava source blocks to power the lava flowers

Also Endoflames really aren't that bad to deal with, in FTB Botania I had enough of them that I could throw two stacks of coal at and they'd eat all the coal before they disappeared, and made like a ton of mana from it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Taffer posted:

Well that's one of my problems right now, good mana generation is really difficult without leaning on RF, for making lava or running huge harvesters. I could do a ton of endoflames but dealing with that redstone without RFtools or EIO is just :effort:

the gourmaryllis and keikimurus are basically the best mana generation in Botania

also endoflames are really easy to automate:

the brown block is just an open crate
(ignore all the dayblooms as they aren't part of it)

load the hopper with coal or charcoal
you can put a chest on top of the hopper to load more of it at once

you can make more endoflames and put them around the pressure plate to increase the rate of mana generation (though make sure you don't overload your spreader)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Is there much rhyme or reason to where I can find TC shards? I'm chronically short on aer and ordo to make balanced shards and primal charms with.

Also, does the game give any hints on finding a skystone? It just kinda says "go find some and we'll give you presses" far as I can tell :(

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
you can also generate bread and do the cell refil req for power.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

the gourmaryllis and keikimurus are basically the best mana generation in Botania

also endoflames are really easy to automate:

the brown block is just an open crate
(ignore all the dayblooms as they aren't part of it)

load the hopper with coal or charcoal
you can put a chest on top of the hopper to load more of it at once

you can make more endoflames and put them around the pressure plate to increase the rate of mana generation (though make sure you don't overload your spreader)

Ah I hadn't thought of a pressure plate, d'oh. Thanks, I'll probably build that out as my main generation for now. The people I'm playing with also mentioned the lava tablet, apparently they're almost to the point that it will be sustainable.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Is there much rhyme or reason to where I can find TC shards? I'm chronically short on aer and ordo to make balanced shards and primal charms with.

Also, does the game give any hints on finding a skystone? It just kinda says "go find some and we'll give you presses" far as I can tell :(

Iirc most shards are found 20-40 but Earth are found mostly 10-30 and Aer are found mostly 30-50

E: Yeah, those heights. So dig at 30-40 to find Aer and Ordo

Also for Skystone if you look at the map you can see them, they look like spots where a meteor smashed down. If you want something more specific, there's one on the Eerie Island in the Southwest

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

look on the map for areas that look like they got hit by a meteor

the location of one if you are too fed up with it: Northwest of Beta dome, between the two villages on the peninsula.

also don't do what i did and waste 15 minutes and a shitload of pickaxe durability looking for the sky stone chest because all you need is some of the sky stone to get the presses :v:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anyone know what the Forbidden Magic enchantments are gated behind? I can't remember how to unlock them and a couple of them are really good. One is the same as Sharpness, except you can put on both enchantments and make crazy swords

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 17, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Well, going to the first ore "cache" and realizing a) it's a mineshaft and b) there's like one nickel/ferrous in there makes me sad. I'm out of invar and I can't make an induction smelter (and thereby take apart the ticon smeltery forever) without it. :(

Out of ferrous? Pulverize iron ore! It's not that expensive to build a pulverizer. The 8 copper is the biggest problem, really. It's totally worth it since that makes invar trivial and gives you a reason to make a silk touch pick. The induction smelter is really cheap once you have a pulverizer too, since it costs invar instead of copper.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If you haven't already, make a Sword of the Zephyr. Their right click lets you fly and it's hilarious :3:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

More pictures of peoples' domes and builds! This thread is always lacking pictures.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Mkay!

My infusion altar, with the osmotic enchanter on the far side in the back. I like how the infusion altar frames the osmotic enchanter when you come in

My dome, from one side. Down front are my wheat fields, which make grinding rep through bread trivial. I keep food trees up on top of the dome where they'll be safe, and had half of it devoted to wood trees until...

I cleared enough space for a (huge) Nether Wart farm and space for wood tree farm.

My map so far!

Right now I'm working on getting Botania up and running, which, at this point, means raiding the sky islands, so I'm gonna make an airship and engage in some sky piracy and get me some flowers! Then I'm gonna make a nice mana farm, some euclidaisies, get an actual supply of Auram, and boot up a Dawn Machine to feed Auram to for cleaning up nodes and retake the planet, nodes and all. Dear god though, the Dawn Machine is reaaally hard to make. Takes Signalum and Lumium, which aren't exactly easy to make. I think I'm gonna go for half a dozen Totems of the Dawn first, clean out some of the tech metal ore caches with a souped up Pick of the Core, and then get to work on the industrial base I'll need to make the Dawn Machine.

Magres fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 17, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

^^^ I'll post some pictures tomorrow, been playing basically since I woke up and it is way past the point to stop :f5h::wth:

thaumostatic harness, you are mine now

despite loving up the infusion once and having to start all over

it is time to fly very slowly in the horizontal direction

(i could make the belt I guess but i had enough instability problems with "high" that "very high" would probably never work)

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I really like the dirt on top of the dome, what a neat idea.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

^^^ I'll post some pictures tomorrow, been playing basically since I woke up and it is way past the point to stop :f5h::wth:

thaumostatic harness, you are mine now

despite loving up the infusion once and having to start all over

it is time to fly very slowly in the horizontal direction

(i could make the belt I guess but i had enough instability problems with "high" that "very high" would probably never work)

I've done Dangerous instability infusions with no stabilizing stuff, you just need (lots of) backup materials and essentia.

Actually, first time I make an Osmotic Enchanter in my first time through Thaumcraft, me and my friend had an Infusion Site ~1000 blocks from home because we were scared of taint (we used the Nether to get back and forth) and wound up doing the drat ritual overnight in the mdidle of a rainstorm. It finished right as the sun came up too, it was awesomely thematic because he and I were yelling at other over Skype because everything went wrong in that goddamned ritual (because we had no stabilizers) and we just barely made it. Even with double and triple backups of our materials and waaaay more essentia than we needed, we just barely made it.

Reason posted:

I really like the dirt on top of the dome, what a neat idea.

Thanks! It really freed up the interior of my dome, which was nice.

E: Anyone know if there's any way to get Ender Lillies? I'd kill for a couple so I can stop requisitioning pearls.

Magres fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 17, 2015

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I got some ender lily seeds either from one of the villages, or a seed requisition. Probably the former, but I don't remember for sure.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Magres posted:

E: Anyone know if there's any way to get Ender Lillies? I'd kill for a couple so I can stop requisitioning pearls.

Hiking from the silverwood forest to the summit to the arches, I saw a couple chests surrounded by obsidian totems. One of them had ender lily seeds, but I couldn't say for sure which one.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Magres posted:

Find them in a chest? I have five seeds that I found in, I think, the chest on the obsidian tile altar between the summit and late warp points.

Obviously you'll need some sort of growth enhancing item to deal with their growth rate, or lack therof.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Find them in a chest? I have five seeds that I found in, I think, the chest on the obsidian tile altar between the summit and late warp points.

Obviously you'll need some sort of growth enhancing item to deal with their growth rate, or lack therof.

Yeah, it's one of the ones on the mountain range, I think you have the location right.

For growth, plant them on end stone, they grow at an actual semi-sane pace on that instead of "takes literal weeks" you get on dirt.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'll post a couple pics also.

The front of my dome with my house, Thaumcraft tower and chicken coop.

The back. I started doing the Botania stuff on the bottom right over there. I just set up the stuff I found at a couple of the secrets to start getting the mana pool filling up because that poo poo takes forever with dayblooms and I haven't found flowers to make anything else yet.

The inside of the dome is really starting to get crowded. I've also got a few animals I'm keeping inside from the egg bags, two horses, a cat and a sheep. I had a villager but he escaped and became tainted.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

President Ark posted:

For growth, plant them on end stone, they grow at an actual semi-sane pace on that instead of "takes literal weeks" you get on dirt.

Is this an always thing and not just for blightfall?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

chairface posted:

Is this an always thing and not just for blightfall?

Yep, it works in any pack that has Ender Lilies.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Reason posted:

I'll post a couple pics also.

The front of my dome with my house, Thaumcraft tower and chicken coop.

The back. I started doing the Botania stuff on the bottom right over there. I just set up the stuff I found at a couple of the secrets to start getting the mana pool filling up because that poo poo takes forever with dayblooms and I haven't found flowers to make anything else yet.

The inside of the dome is really starting to get crowded. I've also got a few animals I'm keeping inside from the egg bags, two horses, a cat and a sheep. I had a villager but he escaped and became tainted.

I take it you added agricraft? Unless crop sticks are now part of another mod or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Man, Blightfall reminds me of how much I want to love Thaumcraft, and how much I hate certain aspects of that. And I mean Aspects both literally and figuratively.

I just want a magictech mod where I have glowing magic lasers from a few stabilized tears in reality feeding my gear and ore processing and harvesting equipment. Which I get with Thaumcraft, but I also get so much more cruft.