Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Shoeless posted:

Huh? Oh no no no, I didn't mean just giving someone else everything! No, that would be boring. I just meant in having an agreement to be buddies and not necessarily breaking it as soon as is convenient. Like, hypothetically if me, the person I've been peaceful with and 2 others are in the end game and the guy I've been friendly with manages to get the last throne he needs before I do, even though I didn't win according to the game I'd still find that fulfilling. I'm definitely not trying to suggest rolling over and just giving all your stuff to another player. That just sounds dull.

You can do this sure. If you are doing well it may not be possible to win without killing one another since you usually need 60%+ of thrones to win.

The game wants you to kill everyone to win, though you can play in a team format with one player being the god and others being their disciple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Yeah playing hardcore kingmaker/vassal state is one of the few things that will turn you into a pariah but consider this is like a board game that takes 3 months to play and if you were to spend an entire game of something like Settlers of Cataan handing your girlfriend every resource you got for free she would probably win and you'd get "2nd" but no one would ever want to be your friend again

Bingo. It's perfectly okay to set yourself whatever objectives you want, but if you go into a game from the beginning with the attitude of just helping the strongest player, you're going to piss everyone else off. Possibly even the person you're helping(See Kitfox giving Nuclearmonkee stuff during the last LP before even encountering him. Not quite the same as Kitfox actually did have another reasoning rather than playing kingmaker, but it irritated Nuclearmonkee).

As for agreements, I generally agree with Absum that concrete agreements are the way to go. Not that they should be set indefinitely, but if both players have an assured border for some number of turns, they can plan around that and bring more advantageous force elsewhere. And a reputation of upholding your agreements, even if you ended up invading them the moment it expired, is pretty valuable. You just need to use, and listen to when other players say them, exact words, and not do, or expect, anything more than them unless it's advantageous.

For example, I won my first newbie game as MA Ulm by simply both expanding well initially, as well as talking with everyone around me quite a bit - finishing with setting up NAPs with most of my border other than the person I decided to go after. In that game, after initial expansion, I made NAPs with Man to my south, T'ien C'hi to my west, and Pangaea to my north. Agartha to my north east was embroiled in a war already, but I was talking with him and generally assuring him that I wouldn't add to his problems. As I knew very well that he was already having difficulties(he'd been sieged in his cap by an awake Dragon on turn 3), it both gave me a friendly buffer if he survived, while not requiring any real effort by me. This left me free to go after Vanheim on my eastern border without having to worry about maintaining large garrisons against other aggression, and vice versa. I also scouted out Van's own eastern neighbor, which happened to by Jotunheim, and arranged a joint attack on Van. Similarly, a few turns after we finished dividing Van, I got into talks with what was now both my own and Jotun's northern neighbor(Bandar Log) and, since my armies were already there, proceeded to march right into Jotunheim. By the time Man and Pangaea decided to attack me, I'd both grown quite large, and also got forewarning since they'd tried to bring Agartha in too, and I'd been being helpful to him all game in his wars, both with informal assurances I wouldn't attack him - and I could have - along with some forging work. Also, Pangaea had pissed him off by immediately invading him after he'd just finished the war he'd been in since the beginning of the game.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 15, 2015

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I have never played this game.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
And yet you have made a very Good and Accurate macro, friend!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

How are u posted:

And yet you have made a very Good and Accurate macro, friend!

I wouldn't pay money for Dom4, but I would spend less than 5 minutes making a cruel and incisive meme for it.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
There's no second place in dominions. If you make a buddy and your buddy wins then you should have hosed him over sooner.

Edit:

Flame112 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 15, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
There IS however spitefully making sure some guy you don't like for some reason LOSES and taking that as a meta-victory.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Feinne posted:

There IS however spitefully making sure some guy you don't like for some reason LOSES and taking that as a meta-victory.

I have done this. Usually in multiplayer games, when someone invades me and I don't think I can win. The objective shifts to holding out as long as possible and making them struggle to consolidate their gains. If I fight to the end and they go AI or sub in a new player later, it's a good feeling.

You could also go for a cultural victory:

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

avoraciopoctules posted:

I have done this. Usually in multiplayer games, when someone invades me and I don't think I can win. The objective shifts to holding out as long as possible and making them struggle to consolidate their gains. If I fight to the end and they go AI or sub in a new player later, it's a good feeling.

Yeah, given the nature of dom games you're not likely to win. With this in mind it's important to have some additional victory conditions, like "make sure that fucker jsoh dies before me" or "send all my poo poo to the enemy of the jerk invading me."

avoraciopoctules posted:

You could also go for a cultural victory:

this is good

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I seem to recall from my Dom3 days that there was a marked difference in the gaming cultural between the SA Goons and the Dom3 Forum players. Goons were always much more ruthless and cutthroat, while the Ilwinter Forums guys would have these "unwritten rules" about never attacking in the first ten turns and stuff like that.

Is that difference still the case now that we've all moved to Dom4?

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

jng2058 posted:

I seem to recall from my Dom3 days that there was a marked difference in the gaming cultural between the SA Goons and the Dom3 Forum players. Goons were always much more ruthless and cutthroat, while the Ilwinter Forums guys would have these "unwritten rules" about never attacking in the first ten turns and stuff like that.

Is that difference still the case now that we've all moved to Dom4?

I'm in my first Desura game right now and that doesn't seem to be the case. I saw arco lose their god to a stupid expansion choice on turn six and had them completely dead by turn 12 and no one said anything.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
They might have changed since i last played with them but i do remember the desura community being a bit weird and iffy about rules and the like though that might have been because they had quite a large proportion of new players.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Absum posted:

e: Neruz doesn't play anymore, he doesn't like us anymore or something idk

Honestly I think my real problem is just that games take too loving long.

Desura community definitely used to have a ton of ludicrous rules like you had to give people multiple turn warnings before you attacked them and poo poo like that. If they're not doing that any more then I guess they've learned.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 16, 2015

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Take any advice jsoh says with a grain of salt because I found out that he runs complex simulations of games to find out the optimal poo poo. He basically uses his bitcoin mining rig for evil and will not play until he determines which of his simulacra has been unnaturally selected to win.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I have heard smatterings of it here and there, but what happened with Modpud? I get the idea the community isnt fond of her, but all I have seen is she ran her own successful LP, went ai in another LP she was game hosting, then started a discussion of Dom4 gender relations. Was that all it took?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Donkringel posted:

So I have heard smatterings of it here and there, but what happened with Modpud? I get the idea the community isnt fond of her, but all I have seen is she ran her own successful LP, went ai in another LP she was game hosting, then started a discussion of Dom4 gender relations. Was that all it took?

She got caught and banned for cheating in Mechwarrior Online of all (lovely) games. Dunno about the Dominions story, though.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

PoptartsNinja posted:

She got caught and banned for cheating in Mechwarrior Online of all (lovely) games. Dunno about the Dominions story, though.

She got caught and was blacklisted for blatantly and repeatedly cheating in dominioms. She was cheating hard core in her LP, and actually got caught during it. Sorry a thing that seemed good was a sham

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 17, 2015

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Cheating is bad, and cheaters get sent to Tartarus.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

I Love You! posted:

She got caught and was blacklisted for blatantly and repeatedly cheating in dominioms. She was cheating hard core in her LP, and actually got caught during it. Sorry a thing that seemed good was a sham

Was there a call out in the LP/Games thread? It sounds like there was some comedy gold surrounding this happening.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

It was very funny when she said that flavahbeast was an "alright" player when she was cheating the whole loving time.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

While I wasn't present at the time, people have discussed it on IRC. If I remember correctly, it was cheating in the form of - She was hosting the games. And proceeding to use the master password to look at what other people were doing. Possibly changing some orders too, but I'm not certain on that last part, as that could simply be on my mind since it has happened more recently when people have forgotten to set passwords.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Modpud was actually quite good at the time this all went down which is what made her cheating so unbeatable. Flavahbeast needs to actually play some dom4 before he transcends Modpuds label -_-

(Play dom4 with us flavahbeast)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lord Koth posted:

While I wasn't present at the time, people have discussed it on IRC. If I remember correctly, it was cheating in the form of - She was hosting the games. And proceeding to use the master password to look at what other people were doing. Possibly changing some orders too, but I'm not certain on that last part, as that could simply be on my mind since it has happened more recently when people have forgotten to set passwords.

Uugh that's awful.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
She also did this thing where there was a different version of her balance mod for every game she hosted. Which certainly raised some huge red flags to me. Though I was taking a break from IRC when the poo poo hit the fan

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 17, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
She did two kinds of blatant cheating that I am aware of; she was using the master password to look at other people's turns to see what they were doing and supposedly modify some of their orders at key moments such as right before a major battle with her forces, in addition she used this to find out how much gold other people were bidding on mercs and then either outbid them by 1 gold or modify their bid down if she couldn't afford the larger bid, which is why she always got every single good merc company without fail. She was also copying the game and playing it in singleplayer so she could find out where all the sites and valuable provinces were so she would know the optimal expansion paths and site searching locations.

Her only playing in games that she was hosting should probably have triggered more alarms sooner than it did.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 17, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Neruz posted:

She did two kinds of blatant cheating that I am aware of; she was using the master password to look at other people's turns to see what they were doing and supposedly modify some of their orders at key moments such as right before a major battle with her forces, in addition she used this to find out how much gold other people were bidding on mercs and then either outbid them by 1 gold or modify their bid down if she couldn't afford the larger bid, which is why she always got every single good merc company without fail. She was also copying the game and playing it in singleplayer so she could find out where all the sites and valuable provinces were so she would know the optimal expansion paths and site searching locations.

Her only playing in games that she was hosting should probably have triggered more alarms sooner than it did.

Jeeze so she wasn't just screen cheating (basically) she was going to whole hog? Was there anything she wasn't cheating at?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 17, 2015

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Neruz posted:

Man that effort just does not seem worth the payoff of beating some rando jagoffs online at some weirdzo niche game.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

She is a rotten person through and though, real rap, some people are just hosed up like that, and some people are just partially hosed up, like samog for example.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
While it cannot be 100% confirmed she was Scumming maps for gems it is certain she was Scumming turns for mercs and player orders. She was probably doing it all though based on the numbers

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

I Love You! posted:

While it cannot be 100% confirmed she was Scumming maps for gems it is certain she was Scumming turns for mercs and player orders. She was probably doing it all though based on the numbers

Not wanting to be that guy who acts like a dick and asks questions beyond "Oh what happened?"

But I will anyway cause I am actually that guy: How did people find out about it? I forum searched and found out she got banned from MWO for presumably aimbotting and junk; which would have been reports + auto-detection but Dom4 doesn't have that kind of software does it? What tipped people off?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Gridlocked posted:

Not wanting to be that guy who acts like a dick and asks questions beyond "Oh what happened?"

But I will anyway cause I am actually that guy: How did people find out about it? I forum searched and found out she got banned from MWO for presumably aimbotting and junk; which would have been reports + auto-detection but Dom4 doesn't have that kind of software does it? What tipped people off?

She got really drunk and accidentally admitted it to me

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Ramc posted:

Man that effort just does not seem worth the payoff of beating some rando jagoffs online at some weirdzo niche game.

She had nothing else to do with her life except sit on IRC and play video games to win.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

I Love You! posted:

She also called this poster "I love you Xanadu" which is basically the most embarrassing thing of the whole episode and shames forums poster ilu to this day.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

I Love You! posted:

"Hey ILY did you know I cheated in all these games, here is how I did it lol"

That is a really dumb way to go.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Gridlocked posted:

Jeeze so she wasn't just screen cheating (basically) she was going to whole hog? Was there anything she wasn't cheating at?

she wasnt personally modifying the dice rolls in battle resolution to ensure each individual troop survived

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Feinne posted:

Oh so to be clear all this backstabbery talk has nothing to do with gem/item trades. By wide agreement breaking one of those is in fact actual cheating and will quickly make you a pariah.

kitfox...

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Etalommi posted:

Diplomacy games tend to be pretty bad if people would rather play kingmaker than play to win.

nuclearmonkee...

Samog fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 17, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Samog posted:

nuclearmonke...

Samog posted:

kitfox...

:smaug:

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

I Love You! posted:

That's suuuuper dickish. Especially so since she was apparently a good player already.

e: She should be modded in as a random negative event that reveals your actions for a turn to everyone else haha

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Decrepus posted:

She is a rotten person through and though, real rap, some people are just hosed up like that, and some people are just partially hosed up, like samog for example.

thank you.

• Locked thread