Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CrazySalamander posted:

I totally see why you love the sexual assaulter whose tantrums threaten to end the world, and who also considers everyone playthings for her amusement. Also it's really funny to call characters gay as an insult, and characters who struggle with completely comprehending emotions are never used in celebrated scifi/fantasy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Okay, that made me laugh. Here, I'll explain what was going on a little more: icantfindaname was poking fun at how I enjoyed other characters, so I poked back, with a mild insult because of the gay "insult"

icantfindaname posted:

mr gay panic,

This was the main bit that annoyed me, although thinking on it he's probably referring to the uncomfortable too-close sort of aura, not calling him gay and making fun of it. Sorry icantfindaname.

icantfindaname posted:

, ms sexual harassment victim
I rolled my eyes at this. If you dislike this then why do you like the one who commits the acts? It's a two man show there and you can't have one without the other.

icantfindaname posted:

rei from evangelion really steal the show

There have been lots of good characters with limited/no emotion, Data from Star Trek being a good example

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I feel that icantfundaname was making flippant character descriptions for humour.

E. To be clear, stop being dumb tia.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Haruhi just loves baps.

I can relate

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Namtab posted:

Haruhi just loves baps.

I can relate

i remember watching haruhi in like middle school and thinking

woah

they're talking about baps

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

I feel that icantfundaname was making flippant character descriptions for humour.

E. To be clear, stop being dumb tia.

I get this. I'm a little oversensitive on the use of "gay" because I grew up in a small town that wasn't very accepting of that, and some of the feelings ended up ingrained in me. As I don't like being a homophobic idiot, I tend to push too hard in the other direction in an attempt to overcome taught bias. In this instance, what was meant as a playful jab back took a bit of a harder turn. I've left it in because honestly the exchange is kind of funny.

So let me be clear on where I stand on the series: I enjoy it. Even Haruhi, though she gets on my nerves. It's kind of like how family and friends can be completely terrible to you sometimes but you still like them. I have a greater preference for the other characters though, because I can more easily relate to them.

I will say again: I am not an enemy of all things Haruhi. I even find her antics cute at times. But she's still on the bottom of the list (although now I think about it she does occasionally beat out Kyon when he's being extra annoying and she's being more tolerable.)

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
please read my 10,000 words essay on how Yuki Nagato from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu resembles the character Data from cult science fiction rom-com Star Trek a lot:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
^^
Exactly, thanks for the summary.

In penance I submit a cute picture of Haruhi.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PotU posted:

please read my 10,000 words essay on how Yuki Nagato from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yūutsu resembles the character Data from cult science fiction rom-com Star Trek a lot:

only if you'll read mine on how they didn't match haruhi's character design to the LNs

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

only if you'll read mine on how they didn't match haruhi's character design to the LNs

:justpost:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Mikuru is the one character who didn't grow on me at least a little bit over the course of season one. She never does anything. Maybe if I stick with the simulwatch my opinion will change, who knows.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

icantfindaname posted:

mr gay panic, ms sexual harassment victim, and rei from evangelion really steal the show

CrazySalamander posted:

I totally see why you love the sexual assaulter whose tantrums threaten to end the world, and who also considers everyone playthings for her amusement. Also it's really funny to call characters gay as an insult, and characters who struggle with completely comprehending emotions are never used in celebrated scifi/fantasy.
Less posts like these in the future, please and thanks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Mikuru is very cool.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
The only thing really memorable from Haruhi for me was Endless Eight.

Probably because I watched it 8 times.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Asahina Mi...

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Mi...

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Mirakuru Mikururu :razz:

I can't even type her name without cracking into a stupidly enthusiastic smile. So she peaks at episode 00... the lady gets a pass for it. :colbert:

Ferretts fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 17, 2015

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Mikuru is the one character who didn't grow on me at least a little bit over the course of season one. She never does anything. Maybe if I stick with the simulwatch my opinion will change, who knows.

Aged-Up Mikuru is the best character in the show.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I'm not going to say that Disappearance of Nagato Yuki is better than Melancholy, because it isn't, but I watched all of it and enjoyed myself for the most part. It's a very different beast, but if you liked quiet romantic comedies, or if you liked the set up in the Disappearance movie and wished that they'd done more with it, you might enjoy it.

The ending of DNY, though, I think tops the whole franchise off nicely, even better than the Disappearance movie did. I'm not quite sure how they managed it, but I think it works perfectly: The final episode runs through what the club does on their summer break, hitting many of the major incidents in endless eight and other episodes from the initial run, but played off in a joking manner because no one has any supernatural powers. You watch thinking 'Ha, what a nice series of inside jokes for fans of both series. while seeing the romantic plot inch forward a bit more. At the end of the episode, as Kyon, Yuki, and Ryoko walk back to school in their uniforms to start the first day of classes, they have a conversation about why the literary club never writes anything, and Kyon suggests they write a collaborative novel. They joke about the kind of novel Haruhi would write, featuring aliens and time travelers and ESPers. Yuki says that sounds interesting, and that she'd like to write a novel. The conversation moves on, and Yuki begins to narrate to herself, leaving us questioning whether the Melancholy world is simply a novel she eventually writes in the Disappearance world, or whether this world is just an alternate reality created and left behind by Yuki in the Disappearance film. A cute, clever ending, but not quite enough.

In the post credits sequence, Kyon is watching baseball with his sister, just like at the beginning of endless eight and the beginning of this episode. He gets a phone call from Haruhi, and goes to meet everyone at the cafe. A look of horror washes over his face as Ryoko asks him if he finished his summer homework. Cut to a Edvard Munch-looking statue advertising ice. End show.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

E. Nevermind

Namtab fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 17, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

I am ready.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Very jelly of that box set.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
In college, I spent money I really couldn't afford.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I was tempted by that box-set. I was also poor so I could not buy overpriced things yet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought my $150 Escaflowne set in Uni instead of like eating.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Tsuruya is good

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I'm in. It's actually kinda weird. I first saw this series just before I left home for college finishing with the movie the night before the trip. Now I'm heading back home for good at the end of the month and I'm finally gonna watch the series again.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tsuruya is the best character

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

VLC... hoooo boy im praying no one from YOSPOS sees this post

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

|'ve got yospos on the line... they're insanely mad at all this vlc

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

drat, sorry Dick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

VLC... hoooo boy im praying no one from YOSPOS sees this post

.jpg posted:

|'ve got yospos on the line... they're insanely mad at all this vlc

It's a freaking YOSPOS hit squad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I insanely want this really badly.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

you should be using kcp, the only media player to be graced with an image of Haruhi herself

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i use media player classic with that one codec pack that everyone else uses. one time i followed some guide and tried to change the settings and stuff to make my quality better, but it made the subtitles only show up half the time and sometimes whatever was playing the picture would just go black so i had to reinstall everything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Been using Media Player with CCCP for like ten years now and never felt the need to change.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I still use CCCP, other than when 10-bit stuff first started coming out nothing has really changed IMO that's required having to get something different. It seems like it's stabilized relatively speaking. I think the next big thing was going to be DirectX hardware acceleration on 10-bit stuff, not sure whatever came of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Enthralling codec talk in ADTRW

• Locked thread