Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

MassRafTer posted:

This happened in the fall of 99 (between Bischoff being sent home and Russo being hired) the summer of 2000 (Russo was gone for a bit) and the last two months of the company. It's funny because this would happen in TNA too. When the regime changed or they went into a holding pattern waiting for something better the shows improved.

The first couple weeks of Russo's regime were all right. Aside from the childish shots at JR the product looked immediately better by just cribbing basic show structure from Raw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rusty Shackelford posted:

He was a two time WWF champion as a tweener.

i actually forgot he main evented Mania 13. That's partially because it's the only main event not involving a murderer that WWE decided to leave out of their game focused on the thirty years of WM.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Great line in this week's retro Observer:

Big Dave posted:

Between Nitro and Raw I have this feeling I'm watching a bunch of people going through a very public midlife crisis.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
How long has HHH's midlife crisis been going exactly? We still hear about how he destroyed WCW and built the Attitude Era and is the sexiest, coolest rebel of all time because he's so insecure about being nobody's favorite wrestler

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

That's not HHH's midlife crisis. That's just who he is.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I liked that time he got his arm fake broke against Brock, and he spent 5 minutes looking sad and walking from the ring to the back, and the whole time was waiting for the traditional end-of-an-era respect standing ovation from the audience that never came

And then he got fake concussed against Curtis Axel months later, and did the exact same thing with the exact same non-response, and they just gave up trying

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

I liked that time he got his arm fake broke against Brock, and he spent 5 minutes looking sad and walking from the ring to the back, and the whole time was waiting for the traditional end-of-an-era respect standing ovation from the audience that never came

"You tapped out. You tapped out. You tapped out."

"I'm ... sorry!"

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'm glad that enmity towards Triple H for going over everyone always continues to this day, gently caress Paul McMahon.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
My favorite tidbit from the recent observer is that the nWo Tonight set cost 70,000 dollars. A ton of money to generate horrendous ratings!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tato posted:

My favorite tidbit from the recent observer is that the nWo Tonight set cost 70,000 dollars. A ton of money to generate horrendous ratings!

How much did the fake Hogan head cost?

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Tato posted:

And in the build to Road Wild, a show that is held outdoors at a large public gathering so there was $0 made at the gate. You know, Bischoff went crazy when Raw won in ratings in April, I can only imagine how he must have been feeling around this time.

Granted, WWF was running the CHOPPY CHOPPY YO PEE PEE angle around then. Still, imagine losing viewers to that

Hey, tomorrow we're watching Fall Brawl (or as I believe Piper called it, Fa Bra) in the tube -- how many matches can you name on that card just from what's been announced on Nitro?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ive seen the entire build to the show and the only matches I can think of are War Games and Steiner vs Steiner. I don't even know what the title match is

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Choppy Choppy your pee pee actually captivated me a bit and I switched to Raw when they were running those segments.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Choppy Choppy Your Pee Pee meant that Kai en Tai was on screen, though, which is automatically better than almost all of WCW's non-Parka-related programming.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I begged my dad to take me to Fall Brawl 98 when I was like 10 and even as a kid, I apologized for asking him after the show was over. The most thrilling thing about the show was a fight in the crowd during the horrendous Scott Hall match.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tato posted:

I begged my dad to take me to Fall Brawl 98 when I was like 10 and even as a kid, I apologized for asking him after the show was over. The most thrilling thing about the show was a fight in the crowd during the horrendous Scott Hall match.
This is why I don't think it's very funny when people start in with "Oh Kevin Nash is so awesome for cashing a paycheck from WCW to do nothing and book bullshit." (I'm not saying Nash was responsible for this show in particular.)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Think of all the lives Kevin Nash has ruined thanks to his irresponsible, lackadaisical booking.

You monsters.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Kevin Nash being unprofessional stories are infinitely more fun than HHH/HBK being unprofessional stories.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

This is why I don't think it's very funny when people start in with "Oh Kevin Nash is so awesome for cashing a paycheck from WCW to do nothing and book bullshit." (I'm not saying Nash was responsible for this show in particular.)

Kevin Nash did what anybody with half a brain would have expected him to do. Kevin Nash looks out for a) Kevin Nash, and b) people Kevin Nash likes. The blame for any bad Nash booking is on WCW, and WCW is dead. Justice was served.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

Kevin Nash did what anybody with half a brain would have expected him to do. Kevin Nash looks out for a) Kevin Nash, and b) people Kevin Nash likes. The blame for any bad Nash booking is on WCW, and WCW is dead. Justice was served.
You know, in some industries it's considered unethical and unprofessional to deliberately do a bad job, profit while your company sinks, and gently caress over your customers and colleagues alike. Some people would even say it makes you a bad person. I'm not about to blame Kevin Nash for any deaths, but has it occurred to you that he stood to make even more money by helping the company thrive?

And I'm genuinely curious about this bit: who constitutes the nebulous "WCW?" As in, who in upper management had the power to fire everyone else in management who were sinking the company?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Halloween Jack posted:

You know, in some industries it's considered unethical and unprofessional to deliberately do a bad job, profit while your company sinks, and gently caress over your customers and colleagues alike. Some people would even say it makes you a bad person. I'm not about to blame Kevin Nash for any deaths, but has it occurred to you that he stood to make even more money by helping the company thrive?

This is wrestling. The standard for being a bad person is really, really low.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

As far as we know, Kevin Nash has never murdered anyone, raped anyone, killed any animals, diddled any kids, nor sold any drugs to the Iron Sheik. He's practically a saint.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Kevin Nash was arrested for chokeslamming his son on Christmas last year!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Hey it's the powerbomb that was banned all right? Trumped up fuckin charges.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Alain Post posted:

This is wrestling. The standard for being a bad person is really, really low.

Shouldn't it be high?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
In other cases, I would be right there with you saying that it's awesome for somebody to rip off a huge company run by idiots. I think it's awesome, for example, that Zack Snyder basically set $80 million on fire just to tell creepy geeks that they're horrible people. But Warner Bros. has billions of dollars and that didn't put them out of business.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 17, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

Kevin Nash was an independent contractor with WCW whose best interests were in giving Kevin Nash more money in doing so Kevin Nash helped his colleagues Kevin Nash, Kevin Nash, and Kevin Nash while enriching his target audience of Kevin Nash fans. Kevin Nash also knew that the best way to make more money would be to show how much Kevin Nash was worth to WCW by properly booking WCW.

This an industry where you can give sunglasses to a disabled kid and steal them back. Kevin Nash doesn't turn his back on his fans.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

In other cases, I would be right there with you saying that it's awesome for somebody to rip off a huge company run by idiots. I think it's awesome, for example, that Zack Snyder basically set $80 million on fire just to tell creepy geeks that they're horrible people. But Warner Bros. has billions of dollars and that didn't put them out of business.

Kevin Nash did not put WCW out of business.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What's the name of that book that describes how someone Bischoffed the gently caress out of Sony Pictures in the 90s?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh, I agree. It wasn't anyone person, but Eric Bischoff would be at the top of my list several places above Kevin Nash. Just saying that he had a job with a significant impact on the direction of the company, and he basically acted like a Wall Street CEO.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

What's the name of that book that describes how someone Bischoffed the gently caress out of Sony Pictures in the 90s?

Adam Sandler : A life story

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

DynamiteKidd posted:

Kevin Nash was arrested for chokeslamming his son on Christmas last year!

because the son was attacking his mother. it still stands

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Nash is still at it, burying the New Blood any chance he gets.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I can't fault Nash for putting himself first in a business as scummy as wrestling.

I'm sure as hell not going to praise him for it though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Was "The Booty Man" some kind of private joke that Bischoff let get made into a wrestling gimmick? Having seen all I have seen in wrestling I still don't quite understand how they had Leslie adopt this persona for multiple shows AND at least one PPV.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

Was "The Booty Man" some kind of private joke that Bischoff let get made into a wrestling gimmick? Having seen all I have seen in wrestling I still don't quite understand how they had Leslie adopt this persona for multiple shows AND at least one PPV.

If you look at Ed Leslie in WCW you will find that he did a lot of things on screen in the name of making Hulk Hogan really, really happy.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The whole thing just feels like Hogan was doing a lot of cocaine one night, woke up the next morning and saw he'd scribbled BOOTY MAN on a napkin and brought it to Bischoff saying this was gonna be Zodiac's new gimmick.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Maxwell Lord posted:

Brutus > Bruti > Booty ?

he was an rear end man

yeaaaaah an rear end, man

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I've been slowly working my way through Nitros on the network and it struck me today how quickly the nWo turned to poo poo. I'm only in September 96 and they've already added Virgil to the gang. So that means the angle had three good months tops at a time when wrestling moved a lot more slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Sullivan's podcast answer to "why Booty Man?" was "Eric Bischoff liked Kimberly, who was his valet, and wanted to get her more airtime" and "why did Zodiac just up and become the Booty Man" was "because Hogan told me to do it that way."