Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Palladium posted:

Even 4 DIMMs now are a pretty worthless feature when you can have cheap 8GB sticks.
And it appears that the current Skylake chips are NOT quad-channel, just dual...

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/intel-skylake-core-i7-6700k-reviewed/

It's also important to note that, while Haswell-E and X99 supported quad-channel operation, Skylake and Sunrise Point will only do dual-channel. Presumably Skylake-E will again bring back a quad-channel integrated memory controller.

So basically all those quad channel DDR4 kits being sold for Skylake are of no benefit right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Cardboard Box A posted:

So basically all those quad channel DDR4 kits being sold for Skylake are of no benefit right now.

I thought that was pretty much common knowledge since forever?

In other news, this is what happens when you get suckered by marketing:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2443278

quote:

Built a budget PC for the 1st time...

Asus Maximus VI Impact
Pentium G3258

quote:

budget PC

:psyduck::psyboom::cripes::suicide:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Oh boy, he already bought the board? That's even more hilarious :shepicide:

He's gonna have trouble getting past 4.3ghz on the G3258 no matter what board he uses (which is why I suggest either a bare-featured H97 no more than $55 after discount or an H81 board), he might as well go full retard and get a 4790k and direct contact cool the CPU

*crunch*

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Oh boy, he already bought the board? That's even more hilarious :shepicide:

He's gonna have trouble getting past 4.3ghz on the G3258 no matter what board he uses (which is why I suggest either a bare-featured H97 no more than $55 after discount or an H81 board), he might as well go full retard and get a 4790k and direct contact cool the CPU

*crunch*

There something about 4+ GHz that drives builders into retard OC mode. Anyone could MCE a 4690K @ 3.9GHz on all 4 cores on a H81 and *still* have spent the same $$$ as that guy.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Boogaleeboo posted:

I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'littered'. Even most of the itx boards I've seen have a couple [Generally an A and a C], and the most I've seen is 6 3.1 slots on the ASUS Deluxe board. The majority of them have them except for the extreme budget options. That's a pretty good way to push adoption.
The majority seem to have just two ports and no headers for any front panel connectors. To drive adoption, all USB ports should be 3.1.

Twerk from Home posted:

It's pretty amazing that a chip @ 3.3 base / 3.7 turbo can keep up with two 4.0 base / 4.2 and 4.4 turbo CPUs in games. That's a pretty serious clock deficit.
Oh nice. Too bad that the (--edit:)highend desktop variants of Skylake don't appear to be coming with L4 cache then (anytime soon, anyway).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Aug 17, 2015

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

USB 3.1 Gen 1, USB 3.1 Gen 2, USB Type C, and how many should support USB PD?

:haw:

:suicide:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I was just wondering what the hell the generational stuff is about, those idiots renamed USB 3.0? Christ.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

LiquidRain posted:

USB 3.1 Gen 1, USB 3.1 Gen 2, USB Type C, and how many should support USB PD?

:haw:

:suicide:

All these needless differentiation of standards are just plain awful obstacles to widespread adoption, not to mention plain old USB3.0 is more than good enough for most consumer applications.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Also, USB 3.0 doesn't allow hackers to gain complete control over your memory by plugging in a dongle running a Python script.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The new Macbook will I guess be the big driver for USB-C adoption.
It's cool that they can unify adaptors for a bunch of different things but seriously, only one usb port on the laptop itself? That's just gunna be annoying.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

dpbjinc posted:

Also, USB 3.0 doesn't allow hackers to gain complete control over your memory by plugging in a dongle running a Python script.

ASLR + 64 bit address space should make that more hassle than it's worth, shouldn't it?

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

e: ignore

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Mr Chips posted:

ASLR + 64 bit address space should make that more hassle than it's worth, shouldn't it?

No. ASLR protects against buffer overflow attacks; they are referring to the Thunderbolt DMA vulnerability.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sout posted:

It's cool that they can unify adaptors for a bunch of different things but seriously, only one usb port on the laptop itself? That's just gunna be annoying.

I'm thinking they might add another port or two, especially if this means they get rid of the Macbook Air line (currently the Macbook is lighter than the Macbook Air)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

MrPablo posted:

No. ASLR protects against buffer overflow attacks; they are referring to the Thunderbolt DMA vulnerability.
At least in the case of Windows, it randomizes the addresses of just about everything, i.e. the base addresses of executables and DLLs, as well as the heap and various process metadata.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Combat Pretzel posted:

At least in the case of Windows, it randomizes the addresses of just about everything, i.e. the base addresses of executables and DLLs, as well as the heap and various process metadata.

It randomizes virtual addresses, but I think the DMA attack operates on physical addresses. And it doesn't randomize kernel addresses, so DMA can target the kernel heap and similar if it has trouble going virt to phys.

(ASLR mitigates against more than just buffer overflow attacks, of course.)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Mr Chips posted:

64 bit address space

How many bits now?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

It randomizes virtual addresses, but I think the DMA attack operates on physical addresses. And it doesn't randomize kernel addresses, so DMA can target the kernel heap and similar if it has trouble going virt to phys.
If it can only address physical addresses, how does it make things easier? I thought with all that virtual addressing and paging, the representation of it in physical address space is quasi random?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

DrDork posted:

TechReport's review has the 5775C in the mix. It generally beats out the 6700k at anything gaming related by small margins, but is ~20% slower in the non-gaming CPU tasks (compression, mostly). That's at stock clocks, of course, and it doesn't look like Skylake is gonna do much in the way of overclocking.

Mind you, it's not a night-and-day boost to gaming, so there's probably a lot to be said for the other benefits of the Skylake ecosystem in comparison. Still, sad that the 6700k loses out to a similarly-priced 65W chip from a few months back.

Oh wow, Broadwell is absolutely kicking rear end with that giant cache even with such a clock deficit.

It not only helps to raise average FPS, it noticeably reduced spikes in frame times, which is an amazing result.

So what the hell is Intel up to? Now we finally have the direction in which to go: a giant cache along with a 4/4.4GHz clock speed should be something worth lusting after. Hell, the fact Broadwell is used in a Z97 board is the icing on the cake. It looks like the 5775C can overclock a decent amount, at least north of 4GHz, and definitely uses less power than Devil's Canyon doing it. At this point, I want that more than Skylake.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

So what the hell is Intel up to? Now we finally have the direction in which to go: a giant cache along with a 4/4.4GHz clock speed should be something worth lusting after. Hell, the fact Broadwell is used in a Z97 board is the icing on the cake. It looks like the 5775C can overclock a decent amount, at least north of 4GHz, and definitely uses less power than Devil's Canyon doing it. At this point, I want that more than Skylake.
Prerequisite: Zen has to be competitive

Otherwise, they'll give us basically the same chip forever and any actual improvements will likely be one-offs like the L4 cache on Broadwell.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Combat Pretzel posted:

If it can only address physical addresses, how does it make things easier? I thought with all that virtual addressing and paging, the representation of it in physical address space is quasi random?

Do you commonly have 512TB of physical memory populated?

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

The way virtual memory works is that separate processes each operate in their own isolated virtual address space. This means that it's not possible for process A to access the memory used by process B, because process A has no way to refer to the memory for process B. For memory that is shared between processes (for example, kernel memory), the hardware (MMU) prevents unauthorized access (by generating a page fault).

The kernel (and Thunderbolt devices) have physical (not virtual) access to memory, which means they have direct, unfettered access to the address space of any process or the address space of the kernel.

So, the point is that DMA attacks bypass processor and operating system security restrictions. A malicious Thunderbolt device has access to everything in memory. This means the device can steal your private key, steal your grandma's chili recipe, or install malware, and neither the operating system nor the processor can do anything about it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MrPablo posted:

The kernel (and Thunderbolt devices) have physical (not virtual) access to memory, which means they have direct, unfettered access to the address space of any process or the address space of the kernel.

So, the point is that DMA attacks bypass processor and operating system security restrictions. A malicious Thunderbolt device has access to everything in memory. This means the device can steal your private key, steal your grandma's chili recipe, or install malware, and neither the operating system nor the processor can do anything about it.
:aaaaa: Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea for anything you can just plug in?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Subjunctive posted:

(ASLR mitigates against more than just buffer overflow attacks, of course.)

and DMA attacks are mitigated by IOMMUs

which have been built into intel platforms for years

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

:aaaaa: Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea for anything you can just plug in?

DMA is definitely not new or useless when properly implemented.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

JawnV6 posted:

Do you commonly have 512TB of physical memory populated?
What does that have to do with anything?

Malcolm XML posted:

Which is VT-d, right? If so, it's not been available to most people with Intel CPUs, and it mostly just gets used in virtualization.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Has it been 100% confirmed that Broadwell-E will still be on the old X99 platform?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It hasn't been confirmed that Broadwell E will even exist

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Because hypothetically, for some narrow range of applications, virtual address translation might be too slow and bottleneck the connected device. In reality, this is not likely outside of very specific scenarios for which you would probably buy specialty hardware anyway.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Thunderbolt devices have the DMA vulnerability, yes. But they have another problem: they're PCIe devices. PCIe devices can have Option ROMs. Option ROMs are executed at boot by firmware.

In other words, if you plug in a malicious device and do a cold boot, you can now execute arbitrary code that has full access to everything before the OS even starts. If the UEFI code is lovely enough, you can even reprogram the system firmware so that your malware can never ever be removed without physically modifying the motherboard.

There are two protections against this: disable the Thunderbolt ports entirely (through UEFI, if possible, or by physically destroying the port), or never let your computer out of your sight. However, your computer was shipped to you or to a store without those safeguards in place. A particularly powerful organization can easily intercept the shipment, attach the device, and boot the computer once, permanently tainting the device without anyone's knowledge. This is much easier and more stealthy than physically opening the device and soldering chips to the motherboard, and it can be done en masse.

As far as I know, Apple's firmware in particular is still vulnerable to this.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

HalloKitty posted:

The 5775C looks interesting to me too but haha what is availability

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:bravo:

Firewire 2 everybody

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

The 5775C looks interesting to me too but haha what is availability
What's irritating is that Japan has that poo poo on store shelves and it'd be cheaper for me to have one of those shipped here than to have a box ordered by an OEM distributor

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Combat Pretzel posted:

What does that have to do with anything?

Unless you have 512TB of physical memory, the physical space will be smaller than virtual. ASLR bypass often includes sniffing around for a known value. Sniffing around for a known value takes less time in a smaller space.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Combat Pretzel posted:

If my understanding of the NT kernel allocator is correct, it will tend to fill from a fixed offset upwards. You're therefore very likely to find a given kernel structure in the first few dozen megs of physical memory. I don't recall if the kernel heap starts at a fixed address, but if not then the address at which it starts has to be stored in a fixed address. Similarly, you're very likely to find process memory allocated in the lowest regions of physical memory first.

Of course, if you can read arbitrary virtual memory, you can typically find the heap without much difficulty by inspecting the mapping table to find the standard library or equivalent.

e:

Malcolm XML posted:

I haven't read the exploit, but my understanding is that thunderbolt attack in question isn't mitigated by the IOMMU. I'll take a look over lunch, though, because now I'm curious!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This Black Hat presentation from 2013 indicates that at least at that point IOMMUs weren't in place on Apple hardware. Section 8 of this paper on DMA malware describes some of the limitations of IOMMUs as a mitigation, and ways that attackers can rendering them ineffective.

Cool stuff!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If you use see some random Thunderbolt monitor lying around your parking lot, don't rush in and plug it into your computuer

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

WhyteRyce posted:

If you use see some random Thunderbolt monitor lying around your parking lot, don't rush in and plug it into your computuer

Yeah, I think it's more likely to be cases where someone has physical access and can interpose their thing on an existing monitor, or swap in a trojan ethernet adapter (similar, somewhat, to the random-USB-key attack).

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

sout posted:

The MacBook is just a start, eventually I'd expect the big driver to be replacing micro USB (phones, tablets, all those random devices that use USB power, etc). Hopefully. Micro USB can go to hell.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

japtor posted:

The MacBook is just a start, eventually I'd expect the big driver to be replacing micro USB (phones, tablets, all those random devices that use USB power, etc). Hopefully. Micro USB can go to hell.

What's so bad about micro USB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Toast Museum posted:

What's so bad about micro USB?

It's so tantalizingly close to being omni-directional. But it's not. So you end up trying to jam the damned thing in the wrong way because it almost fits, and end up damaging it.

I mean, not that I have ever done that, because I'm a careful and exacting person. But I have a wife and, uh, yeah. Thankfully so far it's only damaged the cables, and not the phone(s).