Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Is there anything that stops the spread of taint? Obviously the domes are made of glass and I've seen people like Glory of Arioch use fences in their bases, but I'm not sure either of those actually work. I'd like to block the taint whilst I clear another area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

:mad:

Wolfsbane posted:

http://www.minecraftuniversity.com/mods/thaumcraft/aspect_list/lucrum/

The only renewable source I know of is emeralds, so you would need to create an area that spawns normal mobs, then isolate and cure a zombie villager. On normal maps you use your vast stores of useless silver, but that's not so easy in Blightfall.

Actually now that I've gotten my excavator focus up to treasure 2, I'm rolling in emeralds after a single trip to the mountain looking for mithril ore got me 2.5 stacks of emeralds. Each emerald has 5 lucrum in it, which is enough to get 10 gold nuggets. There's huge emerald ore deposits under the mountain. Add on to the gold I've earned mining for other stuff now and I'm doing fine for gold by this point.

Oh, villagers are easy to get! If you right-click a tainted villager with a wand that has the Purity focus equipped, he converts to a normal villager!

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

One weird trick I had to discover about Infusion crafting is that you want to place all the pedestal like this at all times:

code:

T   T   T  T

T          T

T     8    T

T          T

T  T   T   T

and not whatever the gently caress it's pictured as in the Thaumonomicon, like weird diamond shapes or circles.

Just put the reagants in the shape inside the square of pedestals.

I hosed up so many times by not having the Pedestals in the correct place ... but i'm probably an idiot :shobon:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

EvilHawk posted:

Is there anything that stops the spread of taint? Obviously the domes are made of glass and I've seen people like Glory of Arioch use fences in their bases, but I'm not sure either of those actually work. I'd like to block the taint whilst I clear another area.

fences don't block the taint -- they just block hostile mobs from getting to my livestock

ethereal blooms stop the spread of taint in their radius, so do pure nodes and other stuff

purify focuses clean up taint temporarily but it usually creeps right back in

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Decided to cheat in hundreds of each research aspect with /tc and turn on easy mode research, my life is 100x better now :v:

Coming back to the excavation focus thing...

Alkydere posted:

If you're going full thaumcraft I think an arcane furnace will out-perform a pulverizer for ore multiplication if you use clusters. Arcane furnaces, in addition to working entirely freely, spew out bonus resources out of the ether when you toss stuff in them. Meaning you'll end up with extra ore nuggets. Doesn't sound like very much until you realize that each below you add (up to three) and adding a source of ignis centi-vis will not only speed up the furnace dramatically, but it will also increase the bonus ore chance. You'll end up with a lot of messy nuggets to clean up, but if you've got a powerful luck enchantment on your excavation focus/pickaxe of the core then you'll probably get more metal than with a pulverizer. Especially if you take the time to re-mine any ore that doesn't cluster until you finally get clusters out of them.

I just checked, and it looks like there's no native cluster support for a couple tech metals--ferrous and platinum, specifically--in addition to all the 'alien' poo poo. So no ore doubling for those if I go the Treasure/Potency/Dousing/Potency/Treasure focus upgrade route. Maybe I should change the Dousing to Treasure and just stick to that and a pulverizer, and also make a 5x potency focus for speed clearing (or maybe 4x potency + silk touch, but I don't know what I need silk touch for in blightfall)?

Or can all the extra iron I'd have from the Dousing/Treasure route and the Infernal Furnace be transmuted into tech metals, maybe?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Decided to cheat in hundreds of each research aspect with /tc and turn on easy mode research, my life is 100x better now :v:

Coming back to the excavation focus thing...

I just checked, and it looks like there's no native cluster support for a couple tech metals--ferrous and platinum, specifically--in addition to all the 'alien' poo poo. So no ore doubling for those if I go the Treasure/Potency/Dousing/Potency/Treasure focus upgrade route. Maybe I should change the Dousing to Treasure and just stick to that and a pulverizer, and also make a 5x potency focus for speed clearing (or maybe 4x potency + silk touch, but I don't know what I need silk touch for in blightfall)?

Or can all the extra iron I'd have from the Dousing/Treasure route and the Infernal Furnace be transmuted into tech metals, maybe?

Yeah I am not sure if there is any real benefit to silk touch unless you are really insistent on getting maximum glowstone from mining

I am doing treasure primarily as it multiplies coal (thaumostatic harness fuel,) shards, and diamonds

also salt and redstone and emeralds I guess but goddamn do I have a shitload of those

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Glory of Arioch posted:

fences don't block the taint -- they just block hostile mobs from getting to my livestock

ethereal blooms stop the spread of taint in their radius, so do pure nodes and other stuff

purify focuses clean up taint temporarily but it usually creeps right back in

drat, I was hoping for an easy answer. Oh well back to bloom hopping I go.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Kind of. You can transmute iron to copper and/or tin, but I doubt you can do the same to get platinum and ferrous if you can't get native clusters from those.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

drunkencarp posted:

How does anyone play with any given modpack for any length of time? I've been using Direwolf20's FTB pack on the grounds that it must by definition be well-supported, and the recent update to it somehow broke my world such that my framerate goes to single digits if I'm within 100m of my base. I tried rolling back to the previous version of the mod but somehow all of my backups pick up from right after I loaded the world with the new version of the modpack which I don't understand at all how that happened.

This is like the twentieth time some version of this has happened to me -- everything's going along fine, I make the mistake of making a suggested update, and suddenly a couple of months' worth of stuff is lost. I'm the sucker for believing the thing when it told me it was backing stuff up, I guess.

I don't know how FTB or Direwolf do their packs, but mechaet's modpacks (such as Modderation: Permabanned (Discovery thread), Modderation: FYAD, and the NST series such as NST: Diet (Endeavour thread)) have never had a world wipe/incompatible upgrade. The Permabanned server has been running for over a year, while staying current, with no world wipes. As a fairly large modpack, not all computers can keep running it as the world gets larger and more complex, but the server and most clients can handle it.

You might try adding FastCraft and/or OptiFine (which is known to cause some graphical glitches) to your client and see if that brings your upgraded world to more playable levels.

As for backups, it does not keep them indefinitely and depending on the backup tool you're using it may only keep one, overwriting the prior. The one I'm using on my server, ServerTools: Backup lets me define how often to backup (e.g. once a day) and how many to keep (e.g. seven days worth).

lolmer fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 17, 2015

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

EvilHawk posted:

drat, I was hoping for an easy answer. Oh well back to bloom hopping I go.

To clarify, transparent blocks can stop the spread of fibrous taint, which is what actually spreads the "tainted" status to chunks, but if there's any partially tainted caves underneath you they'll eventually infect the rest of the chunk. Fibrous taint can also spontaneously appear in tainted chunks, but I don't think that's super common.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013

I saw the thaumcraft tree house and decided to try it out too. Props to whoever made the one on the map, this is really tough stuff to get right

my plan is to put small botania setups on the various mushrooms, but getting grass on them and keeping them looking nice is proving to be tricky. Maybe I just need more mushrooms and try to cram Thaumcraft stuff on them as well

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

senae posted:

To clarify, transparent blocks can stop the spread of fibrous taint, which is what actually spreads the "tainted" status to chunks, but if there's any partially tainted caves underneath you they'll eventually infect the rest of the chunk. Fibrous taint can also spontaneously appear in tainted chunks, but I don't think that's super common.

I can't speak for other biodomes but beta has a series of tunnels winding all around underneath it, making it a near certainty that it will be infected up to the tree if left to rot.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I just discovered an easter egg of sorts in Blightfall 2. There's a reason why they have the option to get a Big Reactor and only that...

A hint
Search the space ship from top to bottom.

Secret revealed
Look behind the door that is marked Fuel Storage.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah but you're not supposed to go there :cheeky:

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

okay here are some pictures of my blightfall stuff

this is my main base from the air, i started in alpha dome

as you can see it is basically Yet Another Organic Growth base with stuff thrown all around
just left of center is my food area, where i spend way too much time trying to find OPTIMAL FOODS to stuff into my lunch box
to the right is my chicken imprisonment device which has been netting me feathers and eggs for basically the entire map
god i need to do the AE stuff but power is hard in blightfall :saddowns:

here's my little farm, though i should probably tear down the saguaro because the fruit is culinarily useless

here's another shot of the outside
a thing i found out after it was too late was that tainted animals can and will attack through fences to take your animals to the MURDERZONE
so i threw up some secondary fencing to keep them safe

this is dome beta, where i ended up setting up my thaumcraft related stuff

here is my infusion altar, as you can see i have a little bit of a flux problem
i should probably make some scrubbers but :effort:
this is an insufficient number of candles

oh hey chauncey what's up, still manning the alembics as usual i see
we need to have a talk, i put down some nice new void jars but you seem to want to fill empties up with essentia instead of the void jars
if you can just go ahead and use the void jars from now on that would be great
otherwise i have to toss the extra jars into the SHAME DEVICE behind you, yeah, the one with the green laser

Well you know that the "room" that your infusion altar is in has to be completely symmetrical that includes jars and walls. - same with the aspect altar

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Only stabilization stuff (crystal clusters, candles, mob heads, the botania stabilization stuff) has to be symmetrical. Doesn't count anything else, otherwise that entire (huge) box of space the altar checks for stability items would have to be symmetrical and it would be ridiculously work intensive to set up.

If you find a sinister node and farm it all night for a stack of zombie flesh and make candles with all of it, 96 candles has been enough to stop all instability in my rituals. I've stopped babysitting them because between a dozen rituals, I've yet to have a single instability event happen.

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 17, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's annoying how big the box for stabalization objects is for the altar, there's some other things that use crystal clusters and maybe someone might want to use candles or skulls for decoration without it loving their infusions

Putting candles under the floor or above the ceiling is a great idea that I'll keep in mind next time I build, when an infusion goes unstable it often makes the pillars leak flux, and then if you have candles on the floor they get washed away making things more unstable (plus stuff on the floor makes it more difficult to navigate).

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Apparently 250 points of stability is what it takes to guarantee that, for all rituals forever, there will never be any instability, according to this article. Ritual instability grows over the course of the ritual and maxes at 25, and ten points of stability (two symmetric candles count as two points of stability) cancels a point of Instability.

Unfortunately, one misplaced item adds an entire extra point of Instability, and apparently misplaced pedestals add two, so if your decor is assymetrical it takes a lot of stabilizers to fix it. Otoh if you've got Botania infrastructure and the materials to produce Mana Pylons, they each count as much as ten candles iirc, so if you pump out a couple dozen of them they'll trivialize instability. They each take a mana diamond, two manasteel ingots, and two gold ingots, so making a couple of them isn't bad, but making 25 of them is pretty material intensive.

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 17, 2015

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Is there a quick way to add the UBC ores to Veinminer?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I haven't played the new Blightfall yet, but here's my (unfinished) base from the previous one.

The idea was to make it into a giant glass silverwood tree, but I finished the modpack before I finished the base. I never did decide what to do with the towers on the sides, you can't put ladders on clear glass.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Welp, for some reason after my latest excursion I came back to Alpha base to find that a few of my cows had turned into Tainted Cows and killed the rest. Why did this happen, and how can I stop it? These cows have been living here just fine for the longest time.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm not really seasoned with Thaumcraft and Botania. When it comes to Thaumcraft, I have managed to use the crucible and set up a decent infusion altar before, but I did not really need anything from that mod, so I never really went into it. Botania is pretty alien to me. I got my research to the point of knowing how to make ethereal blooms, and I think I can at least muster one, but should I be doing some other stuff specifically first?

I'm able to run around outside pretty decently in a proto-iron armor kit, a longsword, and a darkwood crossbow. I could probably just use something that could help deal with swarms in particular. I kept getting into scuffles with them at [spoilers]Redwood City[/spoilers] due to the taint taking over so much wood. I still don't have a tin ingot; I almost have enough tin oreberries for one, but that's it. It sounds like there's some good stuff I should be setting up to help with mining.

Is there a good tutorial online about the centivis thing? That's something I never did and I don't fully comprehend its significance yet.

Also, are TE satchels any good? I don't remember them before, and I wondered if that's something I should throw into BFSR. In Blightfall, I am really hating running out of inventory space due to all the various crap I need to loot in towns to progress. It's especially strenuous when having to carry a little diversity of food. I have plenty of leather, so it's annoying I can't make a crude sack of some kind out of it.

Wolfsbane posted:

The idea was to make it into a giant glass silverwood tree, but I finished the modpack before I finished the base. I never did decide what to do with the towers on the sides, you can't put ladders on clear glass.
Well, that inspired me to start building upwards.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

is there anything special about the mushroom island or is it basically just a relatively safe place to set up a base if you untaint it, like the book says?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ariong posted:

Welp, for some reason after my latest excursion I came back to Alpha base to find that a few of my cows had turned into Tainted Cows and killed the rest. Why did this happen, and how can I stop it? These cows have been living here just fine for the longest time.

Are they allowed to roam freely in the dome? If so, don't do that, because there's a couple spots in each dome (around the diagonal bits) where taint might creep in a tile or two and that's enough to taint cows, at which point they'd eat the rest.

Even if you have them in a fenced-off area, if that area uses the edge of the dome for one wall, don't do that either.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 17, 2015

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I'll be sure to fence in the next batch.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Glory of Arioch posted:

oh hey chauncey what's up, still manning the alembics as usual i see
we need to have a talk, i put down some nice new void jars but you seem to want to fill empties up with essentia instead of the void jars
if you can just go ahead and use the void jars from now on that would be great
otherwise i have to toss the extra jars into the SHAME DEVICE behind you, yeah, the one with the green laser

Label your jars. Or just the void jars. Golems prefer to fill labeled jars. The priority is this:
1)labeled normal jar
2)labeled void jar
3)normal jar
4)void jar
I'm not sure how oblivion jars fit into this. I expect they have a slightly lower priority than void jars, so they'd fit between 2 and 3 labeled and after 4 unlabeled.

Ariong posted:

Did you leave them free roaming? Or is part of the pen sharing space with the glass dome? The dome isn't completely sealed against the fibrous taint- the corners let some in every now and then. It dies off, but it can still kill animals.

EvilHawk posted:

If you're just looking to block the spread of fibrous taint, then any fully transparent block will do that. Torches, glass, slabs... I think leaves just get overtaken, like tall grass. This only works when dealing with fully horizontal/diagonal growth though. It's really hard to keep it from growing down since it grows like grass and can skip blocks when growing down.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

is there anything special about the mushroom island or is it basically just a relatively safe place to set up a base if you untaint it, like the book says?

There are a bunch of pools of lava there, which means it's dangerous for anyone not paying attention to where they're walking or digging. Check out the map. Also hostile mobs don't spawn in mushroom biome so you'd have to put any mob farms offshore.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 17, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Botania is pretty alien to me. I got my research to the point of knowing how to make ethereal blooms, and I think I can at least muster one, but should I be doing some other stuff specifically first?

botania is actually really simple compared to the other magic branches. not that it's any less powerful when you get further into it, but it's much less crufty. things are a bit gated in blightfall since you have very little access to flowers at first, but your eventual goals are to scrounge up a pure daisy or two from somewhere (there's a few spots), use the resulting living wood and living stone to make a wand of the forest (whatever it's called, the twig w/ the petals on it), a mana pool, a mana spreader, and a few dayblooms and/or whatever the night ones are called. this'll let you start collecting mana, and from there things start opening up since you'll have botania's single power source available to you.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

The Scrubbers for the Infusion altar take a constant supply of Aer Vis iirc, kinda annoying and not really worth it imho. If you set up the Infusion Altar correctly, most things just succeed, without much hassle.

TheresaJayne posted:

Well you know that the "room" that your infusion altar is in has to be completely symmetrical that includes jars and walls. - same with the aspect altar

The Jar part is definitely not true. My infusion altar even pulls Essentia through the floor it is on from the basement below. The jars in the basement are all over the place so my golems can get to them easily and it doesn't impact a ritual noticeably if at all.

E:

works like a charm

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 17, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've never had boots of the traveller before but I made some yesterday and HOLY poo poo I'm never using anything else on my feet ever again.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Additional question: is there a way to remove a lead from a transporter beacon?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Ariong posted:

You probably had some of the tainted land creep in from either the tunnel or the outside area, or a tainted cow from outside pressed against the glass and altered the ones inside. Push F3 and take some of the ethereal blooms from other scouting locations and walk around the edge of your enclosure and look to see where the biome may have changed. I find just planting the blooms at the main corners of the glass dome for 5-10 minutes (you only need to do it once unless the taint is noticeably close again) and setting up a fence outside will keep your animals much more safer from the threat of corruption.

I've been trying out each bio-dome and I think the best one to start out with is actually Bio-dome Delta. You don't have to worry about being hounded by anything but taintacles outside and you have a short distance from the water. If you don't mind boating for a bit, it's the safest way to access all the warp points and you don't have to worry about anything important being completely tainted, like with the Greatwood tree near Bio-dome Alpha. The two secrets along the water nearby help you get started on Thaumcraft the quickest, with the Tiny Ship giving you a free grass block and some runic stones, and the Greatwood Tree house giving you a free Thaumnomicon and some of the entry-level Thaumcraft blocks.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

McFrugal posted:

If you're just looking to block the spread of fibrous taint, then any fully transparent block will do that. Torches, glass, slabs... I think leaves just get overtaken, like tall grass. This only works when dealing with fully horizontal/diagonal growth though. It's really hard to keep it from growing down since it grows like grass and can skip blocks when growing down.

Leaves are kinda weird. From what I can tell, fibrous taint can't grow on leaves directly, but it can grow on other tiles and, if the leaf tile is touching the same "air" block the fibrous taint is occupying, it can then eat the leaf block. This makes getting around the spires fairly easy compared to other areas because most of the ground is covered in leaf blocks from the small trees, but as time goes on those will slowly decay.

Ariong posted:

... what do you mean, exactly?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Mekanism's Free Runners are also good but I assume Mekanism isn't in Blightfall..

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm not really seasoned with Thaumcraft and Botania. When it comes to Thaumcraft, I have managed to use the crucible and set up a decent infusion altar before, but I did not really need anything from that mod, so I never really went into it. Botania is pretty alien to me. I got my research to the point of knowing how to make ethereal blooms, and I think I can at least muster one, but should I be doing some other stuff specifically first?

I'm able to run around outside pretty decently in a proto-iron armor kit, a longsword, and a darkwood crossbow. I could probably just use something that could help deal with swarms in particular. I kept getting into scuffles with them at [spoilers]Redwood City[/spoilers] due to the taint taking over so much wood. I still don't have a tin ingot; I almost have enough tin oreberries for one, but that's it. It sounds like there's some good stuff I should be setting up to help with mining.

Is there a good tutorial online about the centivis thing? That's something I never did and I don't fully comprehend its significance yet.

Also, are TE satchels any good? I don't remember them before, and I wondered if that's something I should throw into BFSR. In Blightfall, I am really hating running out of inventory space due to all the various crap I need to loot in towns to progress. It's especially strenuous when having to carry a little diversity of food. I have plenty of leather, so it's annoying I can't make a crude sack of some kind out of it.

If you check my post history in thread, I did a trio of effortposts about the basics of Thaumcraft, teching to Centi-vis (without Infusion!), and Infusion.

E: Here it is. I ramble a little because I was at work and bored, but I think I covered everything that needs covering.

Wolfsbane posted:

I haven't played the new Blightfall yet, but here's my (unfinished) base from the previous one.

Thaumcraft has, I think on the Artifice page, a way to craft blocks that will push you up ten blocks, and if you stack 2/3 of them it'll push you up 20/30 blocks. Levitation platforms are a really nice way to make a thematically wizard feeling base.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 17, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Demiurge4 posted:

I've never had boots of the traveller before but I made some yesterday and HOLY poo poo I'm never using anything else on my feet ever again.

I need to get around to setting up an infusion altar for these. Problem is, Bio-dome Alpha is my only base, and it's, ah, grown organically, so I'm rather out of places to build up, especially a huge multiblock like infusion.

(edit) and thanks again Magres for that effortpost on getting CV going without needing infusion, that made getting the ball rolling in Thaumcraft something like 500 times easier. :)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

President Ark posted:

I decided to use this as an opportunity to relocate my animal farming to Bio-dome Beta. I grabbed a slime ball from Alpha and made it into two leads, then attempted to warp to beta. Unfortunately Transporter Beacons are technically NPCs, so so when I right clicked on one with a lead in my hand it attached. The way to detach a lead from an animal is to right click it with an empty hand, but that just opens up the transport menu.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Question, if I make some arcane levitators to make / access a mid-air base, can Taint Stuff (tm) reach it through 20+ blocks of nothing but air?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Magres posted:

Thaumcraft has, I think on the Artifice page, a way to craft blocks that will push you up ten blocks, and if you stack 2/3 of them it'll push you up 20/30 blocks. Levitation platforms are a really nice way to make a thematically wizard feeling base.

I remember finding and stealing some of those, but I don't remember what I did with them. I think I had trouble setting them up to stop on the intermediate floors (because I built the base before I found them). Maybe I'll try with more forward planning this time.

President Ark posted:

Transporter beacons are implemented as mobs, so there are all sorts of ways you can screw with them. In the last version you could carry them around in golden lassos, hopefullthat was fixed.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm able to run around outside pretty decently in a proto-iron armor kit, a longsword, and a darkwood crossbow. I could probably just use something that could help deal with swarms in particular. I kept getting into scuffles with them at Redwood City due to the taint taking over so much wood. I still don't have a tin ingot; I almost have enough tin oreberries for one, but that's it. It sounds like there's some good stuff I should be setting up to help with mining.

BLIGHTFALL ADVICE TIME WITH GLORY OF ARIOCH

A decent thing to do with botania is to make a manasteel helmet and craft it with your goggles of revealing so you have an armored helmet that does everything the GoR do (except give a vis discount.)

Make a shock wand focus. This requires potatoes (which you probably already have given your description of your troubles) and nether quartz, which is pretty common in the desert. (The green "I" book tells you this so there's no real spoiler potential in saying it outright.)

Centivis is basically your window to escape the horrifying realm of "having to actually travel to nodes to refill your wands." What the setup does is make a node emit a constant stream of hundredths of a vis of a primal essentia all the time, without having to recharge. This has the effect of making the node effectively never run out of aspects. The larger the node was before it is thrown into the transducer, the more centivis it makes per tick. (I think the code takes the square root of the amount of normal vis available at the time of transducing.)

A CV setup looks like this:

You make it with (from bottom to top on the image) a node stabilizer (make two of these as you need one to craft another bit), a node with a lot of aspects or a really good compound aspect (search the thread for "messis" if you want spoilers on where these are located), a node transducer, and some sort of steady redstone signal (I use a redstone block because it can't be washed away by liquids and it resists casual violence.)

When you have everything but your node in a jar placed, put the node in a jar between the stabilizer and transducer, then whack it with a wand to break the jar. The little bubble will form around the vis and you'll see its aspect count drop to zero. Don't panic; this is normal. It takes a little while for it to sort its Ps and Qs but once it does it will turn into an Energized Node which streams out centivis. You need vis relays to route it around into things, and a vis charge relay for your arcane worktable (this is where your wand will charge initially.)

Make a lunch box (from the Spice of Life mod.) It's a little fiddly to figure out how they work, but you can store up to 6 stacks of food items inside, then when you get hungry, you sneak + right click to take the lid off, then eat it like it was a piece of food, and it'll consume one of the food items inside.

TE satchels are alright. The resource cost for the larger ones that can actually hold a decent amount are pretty restrictive for blightfall, but I used one for a while until I got better options. A modpack more flush with tech metals would probably enjoy them. What better option, you might say? I call it the Inventory Reclaimer 4000:

That's a magic mirror outputting to a hungry chest, which gets drained by the hopper into a double chest. (A naked hopper was too slow and I was worried that items would despawn, also hungry chests are cheap as hell to make.) The hand mirror lets you stuff items into it, and they get crapped out over where your mirror is, even if the chunk is unloaded. (The items will spawn immediately when you load the chunk.) Harder to see is the vis relay which beams the ordo centivis it prefers to have (but does not require) to make it work faster.

A good thing to make as well is a TiCon knapsack. It requires tough iron tool rods (two, which equals 6 iron,) but you can smelt those pretty easily in a smelter. This basically gives you another 27 inventory slots that are a little harder to use, but are great for tools and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ariong posted:

Right click on a vanilla wooden fence. It might take you a couple of times to find the sweet spot, but it'll tie the lead to the fence. You can then reclaim the lead by right clicking the rope coil on the fence block with an empty hand.

Also yeah I have had a number of hilarious incidents with the beacons, including pushing it away with my sword of the zephyr and accidentally right clicking on it from too far away with a shock focus wand, whose chain lightning murdered a bunch of my farm animals :haw: