Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:Beta 15 of restartless/tab-preferences-enabled SALR is out.
(note: you will not auto-update to this version, but this version will auto-update to the next release version)

New in beta 15: :toot: Beta versions of SALR from now on will be signed. :toot:

Click here for beta 14 notes

See previous posts for older notes. Please report any issues, including anything which may still be broken in e10s/multi-process Firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

astral posted:

(note: you will not auto-update to this version, but this version will auto-update to the next release version)

Click here for beta 14 notes

See previous posts for older notes. Please report any issues, including anything which may still be broken in e10s/multi-process Firefox.

I'm sure this has been covered, but when is the next release version coming out?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Magnus Praeda posted:

I'm sure this has been covered, but when is the next release version coming out?

There are still some issues when SALR updates that need to be resolved first.

• Any forum page that was already open before the update was parsed by the old version, so when you try to do a page-based SALR action after that (like clicking a quick button, or doing some navigation), it's trying to interact with code that was part of the old version. Usually that means it won't work, which is a confusing user experience. A page reload will restore expected functionality.
  • If you have any sort of Quick Post window open, and Firefox updates SALR in the background, there's the same problem. In theory SALR is supposed to clean up after itself when it's disabled or uninstalled, which is essentially the first step of updating. That would mean killing all of the work put into that post. Right now, SALR doesn't clean that window up or kill it because I don't want people to lose the time spent on post. However, trying to submit that post won't work either for the aforementioned reason. I've yet to come up with a solution to this problem that entirely satisfies me. This is a big part of why these betas have been manual installs rather than a separate auto-updating channel.
  • A few more minor issues, not related to updates.

astral fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 12, 2015

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

astral posted:

[*]If you have any sort of Quick Post window open, and Firefox updates SALR in the background, there's the same problem. In theory SALR is supposed to clean up after itself when it's disabled or uninstalled, which is essentially the first step of updating. That would mean killing all of the work put into that post. Right now, SALR doesn't clean that window up or kill it because I don't want people to lose the time spent on post. However, trying to submit that post won't work either for the aforementioned reason. I've yet to come up with a solution to this problem that entirely satisfies me. This is a big part of why these betas have been manual installs rather than a separate auto-updating channel.

Could you trap the text, disable text entry, convert the quick post to a regular forums post page, then inject the text and 'cleanup' salr for the update?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

Could you trap the text, disable text entry, convert the quick post to a regular forums post page, then inject the text and 'cleanup' salr for the update?

That's a good line of thinking; SALR ought to be able to do the equivalent of hitting the Preview button in the quick post window as it shuts down. That way, the only way text would be lost is if the Quick Post window was detached (and the attaching/detaching issue itself is something that will someday be fixed, or at least worked around), and the page that would load would be a non-SALR page which shouldn't have any issues (at worst, SALR's posted-in-thread tracking might not work for that page). Thanks. :)

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Nate RFB posted:

It's not SALR at least, since I forgot I could just you know disable it and reload Firefox to test that. Guess I'll just run through the list enabling/disabling add-ons until something changes.

If you haven't found the reason yet, forums.combined.js might not be loading.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657588&pagenumber=80#post449079625

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

unruly posted:

I can't imagine there is an easy way to fix it short of uploading it to the official extension site, especially since it looks like Firefox will no longer allow installation of unsigned extensions in the future.

I certainly hope someone comes up with a way to get around that or I won't be updating past 41. Out of my 75 extensions, 12 (including SALR, currently) are apparently unsigned, and I can't find acceptable substitutes for any of them.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
If you insist on staying with an older version of Firefox for whatever reason, you should at least move to an ESR version. I'm not familiar enough with these to tell you what the most recent one is, but I'm sure you could find out in the Firefox thread.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

hooah posted:

If you insist on staying with an older version of Firefox for whatever reason, you should at least move to an ESR version. I'm not familiar enough with these to tell you what the most recent one is, but I'm sure you could find out in the Firefox thread.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

contrapants posted:

If you haven't found the reason yet, forums.combined.js might not be loading.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657588&pagenumber=80#post449079625
That definitely seems promising, but certain things do work (post highlighting, embedded youtubes). Simple bbcode like bolding and italicizing, url links I guess are also fine. But [spoiler] tags and [timg] don't, and things like clicking on the red X in SALR to mark a thread unread just makes it open up the thread instead.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/08/21/the-future-of-developing-firefox-add-ons/

Interesting... :ohdear:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nothing to really worry about. Current and future beta builds are signed. Might have to redo the tab-based preferences and quick post in HTML instead of XUL. Some eventual hassle to deal with multi-process Firefox, but I don't expect that will be too bad; a lot of the groundwork was done in the conversion to restartless.

I suspect they might back down on the XUL thing, anyway. :)

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Welp.
Does SALR work in Palemoon?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Would you be able to make it so the "Image-to-Text Conversion" doesn't apply to images in the first post of a thread?

Would be handy for LP threads and Megathreads which can often use a bunch of text images.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Well, okay then. Firefox updated today and now SALR (and other addons) just start disabled and can't be enabled. Tried removing and adding it again, no dice.

astral posted:

Reinstalled with this link.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
When clicking on the above link it says "Firefox has prevented this site from asking to install software on your computer."

It looks like you have to right click "save link as", download it, and then install it that way.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

jeeves posted:

When clicking on the above link it says "Firefox has prevented this site from asking to install software on your computer."

It looks like you have to right click "save link as", download it, and then install it that way.

Normally you can just click 'Allow' on this box:

followed by 'Install' on the next one:

but in case that isn't showing up for some reason you can always save, drag, and drop like you used to have to. :)

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

jeeves posted:

That sorted it, thank god.

E: No, never mind, it got perma-disabled again. I guess this is a decent workaround though :smith:

Lprsti99 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 7, 2015

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
This won't be impacting anybody yet*, but for ESR6 compliance, Mozilla has updated how the let, const and var functions are implemented. This breaks SALR 3.0b15

Announcement:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.platform/XoW35OxqDYI

Details:
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2015/07/es6-in-depth-let-and-const/
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/10/14/breaking-changes-let-const-firefox-nightly-44/

The fix is pretty straightforward, so this is more of an FYI so nobody is caught out when it goes live.

* Unless you are running nightly builds.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

This won't be impacting anybody yet*, but for ESR6 compliance, Mozilla has updated how the let, const and var functions are implemented. This breaks SALR 3.0b15

Announcement:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.dev.platform/XoW35OxqDYI

Details:
https://hacks.mozilla.org/2015/07/es6-in-depth-let-and-const/
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/10/14/breaking-changes-let-const-firefox-nightly-44/

The fix is pretty straightforward, so this is more of an FYI so nobody is caught out when it goes live.

* Unless you are running nightly builds.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hello,

is there a way to have videos converted to the inline player without highlighting the link in bright pink (or some other color). i like the feature but not how this looks.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:Beta 16 of restartless/tab-preferences-enabled SALR is out.

New in beta 16: Fixed an issue preventing SALR from loading in Firefox 44+.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cake Attack posted:

Hello,

is there a way to have videos converted to the inline player without highlighting the link in bright pink (or some other color). i like the feature but not how this looks.

It's probably missing support for the 'Transparent' option. I'll look into it in a while.
edit: Just tested and transparent worked fine as it was. :shrug:

astral fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 14, 2015

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

astral posted:

:woop: I can move to the nightly build now

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

astral posted:

How do I fix this?

I've already done this

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

nexus6 posted:

How do I fix this?

I've already done this

Right click on the link, select 'save as'. Open a new tab in firefox, then drag the downloaded xpi from file explorer and drop it in the new tab, accept the install prompt.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

nexus6 posted:

How do I fix this?

I've already done this

I had to click the link again after it was blocked the first time and Firefox asked me if I wanted to install it without outright blocking it.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Just updated to the newest version. Saw this error:

I'm on Windows 10 with the latest FF.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

calandryll posted:

Just updated to the newest version. Saw this error:

I'm on Windows 10 with the latest FF.

Thanks for reporting this. Looks like it's an issue with not putting the reply count on a new line.

e: Fixed for the next beta build; in the meantime you can work around it by toggling that option.

astral fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 5, 2015

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Is SALR adding these tags or is it something else?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

nexus6 posted:

Is SALR adding these tags or is it something else?

No, those are from donating to SA.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Known SALR beta issue: Firefox 42 removed the browser.preferences.inContent preference, so SALR will incorrectly show the windowed preferences instead of the tab preferences.

astral fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 9, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren:Beta 17 of restartless/tab-preferences-enabled SALR is out.

New in beta 17:
  • Fixed non-breaking space code showing up if new reply counts are on the same line as reply counts in thread lists.
  • Fixed SALR's window-based preferences erroneously showing up in Firefox 42.
  • Removed SALR's window-based preferences entirely.
  • Minimum Firefox/Gecko version is now 29

astral fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 11, 2015

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Edit: Nevermind, my problem went away on its own, though I have no idea why and how. The SALR video embed wasn't working for a short while on a single page for me, until I refreshed it.

I'd like it if there was support for polsy.org.uk and bd.baldurk.org videos for embedding purposes, too, but I figure that's too silly and specific a request that not enough people would want it to merit work on it.

ElTipejoLoco fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 12, 2015

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Edit: Nevermind, my problem went away on its own, though I have no idea why and how. The SALR video embed wasn't working for a short while on a single page for me, until I refreshed it.

That's a known issue - if you update the add-on, most SALR functionality on any page processed by the old version won't work until that page gets refreshed. I believe this will be easier to fix once SALR is multiprocess-aware, so it likely won't change until then.

quote:

I'd like it if there was support for polsy.org.uk and bd.baldurk.org videos for embedding purposes, too, but I figure that's too silly and specific a request that not enough people would want it to merit work on it.

If enough people think it's a good idea, it might be possible; are those links used often in let's play threads?

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Polsy is used relatively often to circumvent Youtube's flooding the recommended videos section of the main site with undesirable elements (mostly animé and off-site videos in the off-forum thread), but the bd.baldurk one is purely archival in nature and videos there are only really linked to when people ask for recommended LPs.

Not sure if embedding Polsy links would undo their benefits, but I know that both sites frequently feature their videos at resolutions that force me to lower their displayed zoom value below 100% in most of my devices to not be looking at only the upper left corner of the video.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

astral posted:

Not yet - at least in some cases, the new beta search seems to be having trouble matching text in quoted posts, which is a dealbreaker.

Is the old search completely broken forever now? I just get gateway errors and I don't have a lot of faith in speedy search updates, especially for the old superior engine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Megaspel posted:

Is the old search completely broken forever now? I just get gateway errors and I don't have a lot of faith in speedy search updates, especially for the old superior engine.

You shouldn't have expected your weird maneuvering to get to an intentionally hidden page, to result in a long term working thing.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Megaspel posted:

I haven't used the old search since May because it seemed to stop indexing new posts around then. If you aren't using the beta version of SALR 3.0, which uses the new search for the search thread box, I do recommend switching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Is there any way SALR could make the forum breadcrumbs go back to the old way? Failing that, does anyone know of a script/extension that does that already?

• Locked thread