Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who shall win the Community Choice Award?!
This poll is closed.
Zero-Grab Kitty 13 10.57%
Go Fish! 4 3.25%
Sub Optimal 1 0.81%
All Senior Citizens Should Have Life Alert 15 12.20%
PZZL 8 6.50%
Coinless 1 0.81%
Conservation of Momentum 2 1.63%
Echo 4 3.25%
Critical Admission 4 3.25%
VectoRocket 9 7.32%
Impulse 34 27.64%
Sandlot Basenoball 1 0.81%
Slam Fighter II 27 21.95%
Total: 123 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Heisenberg1276 posted:

I'm really pleased with how well Critical Admission did - and we got a lot of great feedback :) Thanks everyone.

Well done to all the other winners and runners up, this years competition was tight - the quality seems to be really quite high.

Also thanks to all the organisers and judges - I feel this year's jam went very smoothly, the website worked great, and the grouping and review system means at the very least every game gets a review from someone who has really tried it. The gong show and judging were both very interesting too (though the judging was too late for me to finish). I don't know if I'll be back for the winter jam yet (it might be a little too close to my thesis submission), but I'll definitely be back for the summer jam next year.

Honestly I hope you keep working on Critical Admission, I'd kick in a couple bucks for a more fleshed out version I could play on my iPad.

And yeah, the organization and overall quality of the jam this time has been really impressive, I hope it takes off beyond just these forums.

Edit: I tried the new Slam Fighter build by the way, it does seem to work a little better but I probably need to adjust it a little more to make it work perfectly.

Nanomachine Son fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Like your thoughts on Missing Teeth, Everdraed. If we had more time I wanted to add a section where you can melt ice walls or something. Definitely more of an introductory section.

Also I still won't forgive our level dudes for not putting in the AI I worked on for 2 weeks of the jam. :colbert:

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010

Afal posted:

Really disappointed in the feedback. I would have at least thought that splitting the games so only one judge looked at the game would mean that you'd have some more detailed feedback but I guess if you end up with a judge that ends up not liking the game (even if other judges could have things to say about it) then I guess you're screwed. :smith:

Agreed, though in my case I got burned for not playtesting with strangers on different machines.

I think user reviews bound to the entry page Ludum-Dare style would help with this, then you can get feedback from other people without digging through the thread or personally asking people that played it.

I put a postmortem on my page for anyone interested. Good job everyone, congrats to winners and losers alike!

Gunzil fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Aug 15, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Gunzil posted:

I put a postmortem on my page for anyone interested. Good job everyone, congrats to winners and losers alike!

I'm a driver, I'm a winner. Things are gonna change, I can feel it.

Well looks like this was both the first and last game jam for Team Dogpit as a collective entity, but I, Xibanya, as a free agent, may come back to contribute art/writing next year.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Xibanya posted:

I'm a driver, I'm a winner. Things are gonna change, I can feel it.

Well looks like this was both the first and last game jam for Team Dogpit as a collective entity, but I, Xibanya, as a free agent, may come back to contribute art/writing next year.

Come back next year anyway. The only losing move is not to play.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I put up my post mortem for County Fair Figure 8 Racin'.

I will admit that I was disappointed when I didn't make it to the second round of judging and that I didn't get Best Unreal Engine 4, but I am still proud of the game that I made and I am very pleased that most people found it to be fun.

Hopefully I will be able to participate in SAGAMEDEV XI, time permitting.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Well, I HAD a post mortem written and posted, but it seems that if you hit the ready to submit button instead of the save button, it doesn't save your post.

edit: post mortem rewritten and saved.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Aug 16, 2015

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
More review... things

Conservation Of Momentum

Things I liked:
  • I played this for longer than I thought I would
  • Mechanically sound.
  • Nice music

Things I didn't like:
  • The mspaint art is really bad
  • There's more than one level? gently caress this
  • Why can't Conservation Of Momentum pick up saw blades??!?!!

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): No. It doesn't
  • Control (Does the game control well?): Yes. Shockingly so... in a QWOP-like charm
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): Gravity! (And proper health and safety policy in that building)
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): Better art would be a good start
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): Um.. gently caress.

Final Score: 2.5 out of 5 stars

Burger Time

Things I liked:
  • This made me hungry for burgers
  • Very Papers Please
  • I put a rat in someones burger and got $2 for it

Things I didn't like:
  • Fullscreen is loving broken and I can't click anything. Good thing you can set it to windowed before launching.
  • Where's the timer? I didn't see any?
  • No Jorji Costava cameo

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): Pretty funny goofy style.
  • Control (Does the game control well?): The moving around with the mouse is a little wobbly and takes a while to get used to
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): I asked for cheese and I got a vynil for some reason? w-hat
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): sure. why not
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): who cares

Final Score: 3 out of 5 stars

Tristram

Things I liked:
  • Oh
  • Jesus
  • Christ

Things I didn't like:
  • I have no idea how to play this game
  • Even if I did know how idk how this game could grab my attention for more than the 10 minutes I've played
  • OH WAIT WAS THE TEXT BUTTONS ALL ALONG HOLY loving BALLS

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): Font makes it hard to read things (T's especially). Buttons that look like the rest of the text
  • Control (Does the game control well?): IT TOOK ME WAY TOO LONG TO FIGURE OUT THAT THOSE WERE ACTUAL LITERAL BUTTONS THAT I COULD PUSH
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): 0 player game hee hee hee
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): It's 2am and I'm trying to finish all these game reviews and I don't care any more
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): distinct lack of screenshake

Final Score: 1 out of 5 stars

S.I.G.H.O.

Things I liked:
  • A GameMaker game! Doesn't seem to be many of these in this jam
  • Silly story
  • Nice cutscenes

Things I didn't like:
  • I couldn't find the screenshake
  • I suck at stealth games
  • Despite the story's sillyness it didn't make sense

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): I don't find the style of the menu/cutscenes/phone conversations compared to top down Hotline Miami-esque stealth consistent?
  • Control (Does the game control well?): Well I know it's a stealth game because I'm not good at it but I think that probably disqualafies me from knowing whether this feels like a proper stealth game.
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): Sense in the narrative? I think I missed what the actual omission was
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): The pixel art looked really nice. I failed to find the screenshake though sorry
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): Apparently this game has screenshake but I failed to find any

XYZ

Things I liked:
  • This is pretty silly
  • Liked the "Field Cam" in the corner
  • Really like it when the physics get really goofy

Things I didn't like:
  • This was like the worst name for a game
  • This game is pretty hard on a keyboard
  • Starting cutscene dragged on a bit

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): 3D modelling is not the best
  • Control (Does the game control well?): On a keyboard not so much. It's a lot better on a controller
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): Coherent game title? Trousers clearly
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): Game looks extremely rough around the edges
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): Not that I'm aware?

Final Score: 2 out of 5 stars

Ches

Things I liked:
  • Really impressive that this is a Commodore 64 game
  • Short
  • Found a neat teleporting strat if you move the x coordinate to less than 0 you'd see a flicker of the pawn on the screen. If you move exactly as it displays on the screen you can then teleport to that area on the screen.

Things I didn't like:
  • There's not much here :(
  • Configuration was a little annoying to get the game to work
  • Not much happening once you bomb the white piece

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): Looks like a C64 game but it's very barebones
  • Control (Does the game control well?): Once you get the configuration for the joystick then it works fine
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): No chessboard
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): Not really
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): I think it fits "Overscoped"?

Fraudmode

Things I liked:
  • Music and sounds are pretty cute.
  • Voice acting was pretty funny
  • This is a video game 7/10

Things I didn't like:
  • Keeping track of what needed to be done next was probably the hardest bit of this game
  • I have no idea if I'm doing well or not
  • I felt that the game went for too long especially when the game is supposedly a "game show demo"

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): Nice graphics and sounds
  • Control (Does the game control well?): Other than knowing what to press when, the controls work well
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): "No Gameplay"
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): This game seems pretty polished but I think some things could be done to make the "am I doing well" score better?
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): oh I don't know.

Impulse

Things I liked:
  • You sure this was made for a gamejam?
  • Sound and music are great!
  • SCREENSHAKE

Things I didn't like:
  • My god this game isn't suitable when windowed
  • I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome now?
  • "Vlambeer it" screenshake mode isn't default

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): Yes
  • Control (Does the game control well?): The game is really fun to control
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): No typical ship controls
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): "Vlambeer it" screenshake mode. "VLAMBEER IT" SCREENSHAKE MODE.
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): VLAMBEER. IT. SCREENSHAKE. MODE.

Final Score: 5 out of 5 stars

Sysadmin Simulator

Things I liked:
  • Completely Accurate Sysadmin Simulator
  • Nudity
  • That I could get it to work even though the .jar scared me a bit

Things I didn't like:
  • Moving about is awkward as heck
  • Not much conveyance on what you're supposed to do
  • Sysadmins pissing themselves at work is normal pls rectify

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): Pixelly art. Looks alright
  • Control (Does the game control well?): Not really, it's pretty awkward and the guy gets stuck in walls a lot
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): Not really..
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): No
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): um pass

Final Score: 1.5 out of 5 stars

County Fair Figure 8 Racin

Things I liked:
  • Nice and short
  • Ragdoll Physics
  • It wasn't tank controls

Things I didn't like:
  • Paw seems like a bit of a jerk
  • In fact, take Paw out of the game and there's no difference
  • Is there any difference with the cars?

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): It looks ok. Not sure if a 3D style is really necessary
  • Control (Does the game control well?): Works pretty well
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): No car (like the billionth game to have this?)
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): The poop sounds and effects were silly I guess
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): don't think so

Final Score: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Fishin' Hole

Things I liked:
  • This looks really nice
  • Nice commentary from your fishing buddy
  • Nice selection of bait.

Things I didn't like:
  • Catching anything is hard :saddowns:
  • Casting is hard and somehow went to the left for me every time even though I was moving my mouse straight up and down
  • My laptop isn't good enough to run this game

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): Yes it does
  • Control (Does the game control well?): I had a lot of trouble casting, also it's very laggy but I think it's due to the fact that my laptop isn't designed to run any unreal game
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): No fish is my guess
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): It looks and feels (I would suspect looking at playthroughs that work better) like a really nice game
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): Nah

--

Ok that's like.. 8 games left to look at. I can do this

Afal fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 16, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Afal, I assume we were hearing your voice in An Video Game, right? Would you be willing to contribute voice overs for a game jam game next year?

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

Xibanya posted:

Afal, I assume we were hearing your voice in An Video Game, right? Would you be willing to contribute voice overs for a game jam game next year?

Uh.. yeah that's my voice. I don't think I'm that great a voice actor, but I could contribute voice overs I guess.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Afal posted:

County Fair Figure 8 Racin

Things I liked:
  • Nice and short
  • Ragdoll Physics
  • It wasn't tank controls

Things I didn't like:
  • Paw seems like a bit of a jerk
  • In fact, take Paw out of the game and there's no difference
  • Is there any difference with the cars?

Paw only exist as the narrative on why you have to come in first place rather than allowing the player to finish in 2nd or 3rd place. I do think it is fair criticism to say that a REAL racing game shouldn't game over as soon as someone else comes in first place.

The cars all have the same AI, models, and attributes, but there is a 30% chance a car will be aggressive. Aggressive cars will actively try to run over the player, including backing up to hit you.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Afal posted:

Uh.. yeah that's my voice. I don't think I'm that great a voice actor, but I could contribute voice overs I guess.

Your performance in An Video Game had a certain passive-aggressive bite to it that I found hilarious. :shrug:

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

Lowen SoDium posted:

The cars all have the same AI, models, and attributes, but there is a 30% chance a car will be aggressive. Aggressive cars will actively try to run over the player, including backing up to hit you.

I meant the car choices at the beginning, or is that just there to emphasise the gag?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh wow, voting ends the 18th? So far I've only played PZZL and Zero-Grab Kitty :doh:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Afal posted:

I meant the car choices at the beginning, or is that just there to emphasise the gag?

Ah, no the 3 car choices are a misdirection gag. All three just start the game and have no effect on anything.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

Afal posted:

Impulse

Things I liked:
  • You sure this was made for a gamejam?
  • Sound and music are great!
  • SCREENSHAKE

Things I didn't like:
  • My god this game isn't suitable when windowed
  • I think I have carpal tunnel syndrome now?
  • "Vlambeer it" screenshake mode isn't default

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): Yes
  • Control (Does the game control well?): The game is really fun to control
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): No typical ship controls
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): "Vlambeer it" screenshake mode. "VLAMBEER IT" SCREENSHAKE MODE.
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): VLAMBEER. IT. SCREENSHAKE. MODE.

Final Score: 5 out of 5 stars

Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad someone appreciated my stupid Vlambeer joke. :)

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Afal posted:

S.I.G.H.O.

Things I liked:
  • A GameMaker game! Doesn't seem to be many of these in this jam
  • Silly story
  • Nice cutscenes

Things I didn't like:
  • I couldn't find the screenshake
  • I suck at stealth games
  • Despite the story's sillyness it didn't make sense

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): I don't find the style of the menu/cutscenes/phone conversations compared to top down Hotline Miami-esque stealth consistent?
  • Control (Does the game control well?): Well I know it's a stealth game because I'm not good at it but I think that probably disqualafies me from knowing whether this feels like a proper stealth game.
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): Sense in the narrative? I think I missed what the actual omission was
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): The pixel art looked really nice. I failed to find the screenshake though sorry
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): Apparently this game has screenshake but I failed to find any

The screenshake is based on your heartrate which is the little bar underneath the character. The more full the bar, the more screenshake, but I toned it down a bunch because I thought it'd be a bit too nauseating.
Maybe next jam I'll move away from Game Maker! Woo!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Afal posted:

Tristram

Things I liked:
  • Oh
  • Jesus
  • Christ

Things I didn't like:
  • I have no idea how to play this game
  • Even if I did know how idk how this game could grab my attention for more than the 10 minutes I've played
  • OH WAIT WAS THE TEXT BUTTONS ALL ALONG HOLY loving BALLS

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): Font makes it hard to read things (T's especially). Buttons that look like the rest of the text
  • Control (Does the game control well?): IT TOOK ME WAY TOO LONG TO FIGURE OUT THAT THOSE WERE ACTUAL LITERAL BUTTONS THAT I COULD PUSH
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): 0 player game hee hee hee
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): It's 2am and I'm trying to finish all these game reviews and I don't care any more
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): distinct lack of screenshake

Final Score: 1 out of 5 stars

Thanks for your feedback! I'm going to make another round of updates based on the feedback from judging, and one thing I can do is add mouse-over effects to all clickable elements so that they're more obvious. I'm a little confused how you even dismissed the starting dialog if you didn't know the Continue text was clickable, but I totally see how it could all be a lot clearer. It's really difficult to understand what's going on without reading the instructions first, and while I was sure to add mouse over text to everything I could think of, you of course have to know to mouse over things first.

I may also add a brief instructions screen from the main menu.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

hmm, the poll seems to be closed (I thought the last day of voting was tomorrow?)

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

JonTerp posted:

Community vote will be cut off THIS COMING TUESDAY August 18th.

Yep. How can you tell the poll is closed? Since I voted I can't see the radio buttons anymore.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Xibanya posted:

Yep. How can you tell the poll is closed? Since I voted I can't see the radio buttons anymore.

I didn't close it ask Shalinor.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

:doh: Reading comprehension.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

Xibanya posted:

I haven't voted yet and there's a "this poll is closed" at the top (Edit: Oh whoops you just saw it :doh:)

also it seems I've done a miscalculation and I've actually got 6 games left to play!

https://twitter.com/SaboStraightUp/status/633288714085646337 :saddowns:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh well. Maybe the winter one will turn out better.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

Anyway, the last batch of reviews.

Sandlot Basenoball

Things I liked:
  • Kitty!
  • It's cool that I don't have to understand actual baseball to play this game
  • I can rub the kitty's belly :3:

Things I didn't like:
  • Was local multiplayer the only mode?
  • Maybe it's me being a dingus but I still found it difficult to figure out what was going on half the time
  • I'm trying to finish this as quickly as possible so I can get to finding out which games one my bounties so I'm going to fill this bullet point with nonsense sorry

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): It's a basic style. The kitty is cute.
  • Control (Does the game control well?): You just select from a list of choices. Pretty simple
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): No baseball?
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): Was there sound? I'm not sure if there was.
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): I've given up

Sub-Optimal

Things I liked:
  • This would work pretty well as a mobile game
  • Music was nice
  • ROBOT. HITLER.

Things I didn't like:
  • I was too slow in deciding what to do next a lot cause I thought that the gameplay was turn based for some reason.
  • Crew didn't make silly noises like Worms do in the video game Worms
  • Needs more screenshake

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): Cute graphics
  • Control (Does the game control well?): Drag and drop and click. Pretty intuitive and the tutorial made everything clear.
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): No missiles!
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): ROBOT. HITLER.
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): N/A?

Final Score: 4 out of 5 stars

Cyber Sight

Things I liked:
  • Music was pretty cool
  • The exclamation marks over the enemies was pretty funny (may not have been intentional)
  • I didn't have to extract the game from the zip goodness knows how many times I've had to do that the past few weeks

Things I didn't like:
  • I have no idea where I'm supposed to be going
  • I think I got to level 3 but I couldn't tell?
  • There were times where I thought I could walk behind things but I couldn't

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): It's very dark
  • Control (Does the game control well?): Running seem to go to slow down in later levels to a walk and I don't know why?
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): No vision
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): It's very rough in areas
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): pass

Unarmed

Things I liked:
  • Short and sweet puzzle game
  • Thank you for adding cheats cause I didn't want to deal with that loving wizard
  • Liked the goofy skull chat

Things I didn't like:
  • God this game is not suitable for trackpad users
  • I should have an actual desk so I can use a mouse
  • gently caress the wizard

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): Cute simple style.
  • Control (Does the game control well?): If you use a trackpad it's awful. With a mouse it's a lot better. I imagine that a controller is the highly recommended suggestion/
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): No Sword?
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): I can imagine a longer version of this game would do well commercially
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): no idea. There seems to be a locked door that I have no idea what it's for

Deliverer

Things I liked:
  • Nice and short
  • Loved the cute cartoony style
  • The explosions and dying looked very goofy and hilarious

Things I didn't like:
  • So. Much. Gibs.
  • Platforming can be a bit weird at times
  • I had to download firefox to play this

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): Loved the cutesty cartoony style
  • Control (Does the game control well?): platforming is a bit weird at times but other than that it works well
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): No lives! (sorta)
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): pretty good
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): why did I have to put this section in every time

Final Score: 3.5 out of 5 stars

Dark Matter

Things I liked:
  • I know this is the last game so I can now uninstall firefox
  • Man, I'm getting nostalgia about newgrounds now
  • Gonna play some hentai tower defence games after I'm done here

Things I didn't like:
  • I think I agree with the judges in that it needs some kind of sound indication as to where you are in the field
  • This was not worth downloading firefox to play
  • OH I'M FINISHED NOW I'M FREE HOORAY!

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): Most of it was dark
  • Control (Does the game control well?): It's just WASD and works alright
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): No vision (because it is dark)
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): No
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): Buh

---

I'm going to round this up tomorrow and announce who won in each category of the bounties I put down. I'm pretty sure I've done all the games (including Something Flappy) but if there's one I've missed out on please let me know.

On the subject of bounties though, there's something I need to probably address sooner or later. When I set a bounty for "Most overscoped game" I had literally no idea how I was going to quantify this at all. This was probably the worst bounty idea for me to judge since how the heck should I know if a game is overscoped?

So I've decided I may have to change that bounty (if no one minds) to "Game that with a bit more work could be a pretty drat good game" or something (oh gosh that description sounds like the most backhanded thing ever :ohdear:)

Anyway it's past 1am right now so I'm going to wrap this up tomorrow as well as putting up my postmortem

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Afal posted:

Unarmed

Things I liked:
  • Short and sweet puzzle game
  • Thank you for adding cheats cause I didn't want to deal with that loving wizard
  • Liked the goofy skull chat

Things I didn't like:
  • God this game is not suitable for trackpad users
  • I should have an actual desk so I can use a mouse
  • gently caress the wizard

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): Cute simple style.
  • Control (Does the game control well?): If you use a trackpad it's awful. With a mouse it's a lot better. I imagine that a controller is the highly recommended suggestion/
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): No Sword?
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): I can imagine a longer version of this game would do well commercially
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): no idea. There seems to be a locked door that I have no idea what it's for

Yeah, trackpads are not the best method haha. I actually found the game pretty easy to play with a controller, switching sides is a fair bit easier when you can just do it with the right stick. Also as the rear end in a top hat that created the wizard it's given me a number of thoughts about how to balance difficulty, he should spawn more flying skulls and they should move faster right?

Thanks for taking the time to go review all the games though and congrats to Impulse it looks like?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Yep. Impulse is your community choice winner!

Congrats :toot:

PS Big thanks to everyone who donated to the prize pool.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

JonTerp posted:

I didn't close it ask Shalinor.
Nobody gave me a specific timeout on the poll, so I gave it a standard interval. Setting those up without end dates doesn't really work / going past about 2 weeks drags the whole contest out forever and everyone loses interest before a winner can be chosen.

I believe the poll is now open again, if anyone has any last minute votes. I'll make sure it closes down whenever the judged results come in.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 18, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Shalinor posted:

I'll make sure it closes down whenever the judged results come in.

What do you mean by that? Aren't all the judges comments already on the awfuljams site or am I missing something silly again? (see above string of :doh:)

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Shalinor posted:

Nobody gave me a specific timeout on the poll, so I gave it a standard interval. Setting those up without end dates doesn't really work / going past about 2 weeks drags the whole contest out forever and everyone loses interest before a winner can be chosen.

I believe the poll is now open again, if anyone has any last minute votes. I'll make sure it closes down whenever the judged results come in.

Nah it's fine. It closed 12 hours early, we can call it.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

Ok, postmortem is posted up on http://www.awfuljams.com/games/an-video-game

Anyway It's time for me to work out who won the bounties:

The copy of Nuclear Throne for the Best Use Of Screenshake In A Game goes to Team Iron Pencil Games' Impulse for VLAMBEER IT SCREENSHAKE MODE

The copy of Secret Of The Magic Crystals for the Best Worst Game goes to Team Flailing Limbs' Awfulbus for being a charming and goofy little thing despite it obviously not being as complete as it could.

The copy of Broken Age for Game That With A Bit More Work Would Be Really Good (oh god that still sounds backhanded :ohdear:) goes to Team Dogpit's Slam Fighter II because I thought this was a pretty neat game and with a bit more fleshing out and balancing (is this the term that's used with fighter games I have no idea) I think this game would be great to play with friends.

So congrats! I'll send the keys to sighnoceros, SynthOrange, and Xibanya right now!

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010

Afal posted:

XYZ

Things I liked:
  • This is pretty silly
  • Liked the "Field Cam" in the corner
  • Really like it when the physics get really goofy

Things I didn't like:
  • This was like the worst name for a game
  • This game is pretty hard on a keyboard
  • Starting cutscene dragged on a bit

Stars Awarded For:
  • Style (Does the game look good?): 3D modelling is not the best
  • Control (Does the game control well?): On a keyboard not so much. It's a lot better on a controller
  • Damage (Is the critical omission clear?): Coherent game title? Trousers clearly
  • Agression (Is the game well polished?): Game looks extremely rough around the edges
  • Bonus (Does the game fit any of my bounties?): Not that I'm aware?

Did anybody ever tell you to eXamine Your Zipper as a child? (I hadn't considered it might be a culture specific euphemism!)

Edit: And thanks for the feedback!

Gunzil fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 19, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What an honah! We'll enjoy Secret of the Magic Crystals a lot, maybe!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Afal posted:

So congrats! I'll send the keys to sighnoceros, SynthOrange, and Xibanya right now!

:hellyeah:

We're still working on our game so I'll take that as highest praise. BTW have you tried our newest edition with sweet-rear end latency fix?

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Thanks a lot, Afal! I will consider making Vlambeer It the default screenshake option in my future games.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thanks everyone that played Awfulbus. Wish I'd managed my time better to deliver a more complete game, but it's stupidly ridiculous as it is. :v:

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Goon Steam pack prizes went out today to all category winners.

The developers of Impact will get their community cash prize pool tomorrow.

Shipping of physical packages are hopefully going to go out Friday.

Thank you everyone for your patience.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
The copies of Hot Tin Roof for the Best Use Of Cats bounty go to Zero Grab Kitty, Sub Optimal, Critical Admission, S.I.G.H.O., and Sandlot Basenoball. Which also happens to be everyone that went for the bounty, I suppose, but I said 5x, so there you go!

Folks from those should PM me or tweet me (@glassbottommeg) or whatever, and I'll give you keys for you/your team.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Big props to everyone running the event this year, not only was this more organized than any other game development contest I've been in, but the streams and such were fun too. Really looking forward to next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shalinor posted:

Which also happens to be everyone that went for the bounty, I suppose, but I said 5x, so there you go!

For some reason that didn't even strike me as strange I thought you were going to give out 5 copies of Hot Tin Roof to the single Best User of Cats. And I was excited for them.

• Locked thread