Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Holy poo poo can you attach a lead to a transporter beacon and just tote it around with you to warp home whenever you want?

God I love dumb interactions like that :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ariong posted:

I decided to use this as an opportunity to relocate my animal farming to Bio-dome Beta. I grabbed a slime ball from Alpha and made it into two leads, then attempted to warp to beta. Unfortunately Transporter Beacons are technically NPCs, so so when I right clicked on one with a lead in my hand it attached. The way to detach a lead from an animal is to right click it with an empty hand, but that just opens up the transport menu.

Leash it to a fence post. Break the fence post.
e:f,b
drat this thread moves fast.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Glory of Arioch posted:

TE satchels are alright. The resource cost for the larger ones that can actually hold a decent amount are pretty restrictive for blightfall, but I used one for a while until I got better options. A modpack more flush with tech metals would probably enjoy them. What better option, you might say? I call it the Inventory Reclaimer 4000:

That's a magic mirror outputting to a hungry chest, which gets drained by the hopper into a double chest. (A naked hopper was too slow and I was worried that items would despawn, also hungry chests are cheap as hell to make.) The hand mirror lets you stuff items into it, and they get crapped out over where your mirror is, even if the chunk is unloaded. (The items will spawn immediately when you load the chunk.) Harder to see is the vis relay which beams the ordo centivis it prefers to have (but does not require) to make it work faster.

Oh my god I'm so doing this when I get home, after I get started on Air Base One. Import bus on the Hungry Chest instead of a hopper, but still, thanks for this idea. I had no idea wtf magic mirrors were good for, and now I know.

You've saved me from going insane on mining expeditions :allears:

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Question, if I make some arcane levitators to make / access a mid-air base, can Taint Stuff (tm) reach it through 20+ blocks of nothing but air?

I'd assume so. I think it spreads to a chunk and the height doesn't really matter as far as i can tell. Someone please confirm..

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I've tried using a fence, but it just won't seem to connect.

Magres posted:

Holy poo poo can you attach a lead to a transporter beacon and just tote it around with you to warp home whenever you want?

God I love dumb interactions like that :allears:

No, it doesn't budge.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Humans Among Us posted:

I'd assume so. I think it spreads to a chunk and the height doesn't really matter as far as i can tell. Someone please confirm..

I think for the sake of testing I'm just gonna creative mode an angel block and some dirt and place it somewhere in the taint zone, nearby enough to my base to stay loaded but way up and surrounded by nothing but air, and come back later, see if it's a tainted mess.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Are the actual leaves/wood important for Silverwood's cleansing aura or is it all in the Node?

Also on Spice of Life: When it says 250 hunger is that counting saturation as well? Because if not then holy poo poo I am definitely reducing it down to 100 or something. SoL is fun to play with but goddamn. I'm finding making butter and cheese to be a gigantic pain in the rear end. Was there any reason for removing the 'craft milk bucket to get milk item' recipe?

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

It's just the node-trees that transform the land. Nodeless silverwood trees do nothing.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The ship is really neat and I hope it gets expanded on if Blightfall updates in the future. Especially would like to see some of the quests, like the stuff for Botania, actually require you to do stuff on the ship or something.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Edminster posted:

Are the actual leaves/wood important for Silverwood's cleansing aura or is it all in the Node?

Also on Spice of Life: When it says 250 hunger is that counting saturation as well? Because if not then holy poo poo I am definitely reducing it down to 100 or something. SoL is fun to play with but goddamn. I'm finding making butter and cheese to be a gigantic pain in the rear end. Was there any reason for removing the 'craft milk bucket to get milk item' recipe?

No, the 250 hunger is not counting saturation, so the default settings require you to fill 25 complete hunger bars before diminishing returns wear off. It is completely insane. Note that in the config file it says it's set to 500 hunger, because internally a full hunger bar is 20 hunger, (each half-icon is 1). I dropped it to 100, in the config file, which is 5 full hunger bars worth of food.

Does anyone know of a good way to get diamonds? I'm finally closing in on the flowers I need to start botania, but I only have one diamond right now, and I know botania requires mana diamonds for a lot of things. A good source of ender pearls would also be appreciated.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

once i get into botania i'm probably going to make a sojourner's sash instead of the boots of the traveller. pretty sure that it's less of a pain to make and also doesn't take up an armor slot/has no durability. does basically the same thing. might even be better?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Humans Among Us posted:

It's just the node-trees that transform the land. Nodeless silverwood trees do nothing.

Also putting a tree-node into a jar and moving it elsewhere removes the biome effect. It has to be in the silverwood block.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

No, the 250 hunger is not counting saturation, so the default settings require you to fill 25 complete hunger bars before diminishing returns wear off. It is completely insane. Note that in the config file it says it's set to 500 hunger, because internally a full hunger bar is 20 hunger, (each half-icon is 1). I dropped it to 100, in the config file, which is 5 full hunger bars worth of food.

Does anyone know of a good way to get diamonds? I'm finally closing in on the flowers I need to start botania, but I only have one diamond right now, and I know botania requires mana diamonds for a lot of things. A good source of ender pearls would also be appreciated.

You should be able to find plenty while mining. They seem to spawn at vanilla levels so mining at y11 with a hammer should get you quite a bit, especially if you get a fortune pick. And since you can swap out tool parts, this is really easy to do. Stick 1 piece of lapis on your pick, and it will slowly (very slowly) grow. As you get more lapis you can stick a bit more on there to speed it up. If you do a decent amount of mining with this then diamonds shouldn't be a problem. I got up to like 80 diamonds at one point but still struggle to get single digits of lead/copper/tin.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
So, I'm at the glacier, and I managed to trap the tainted thaumiturge, and the tainted botanist. I tried dropping sand on the tainted thaumiturge but they don't take suffocation damage. Then I found a member of the scouting party there with a rapid fire gun with explosive shells :stare:.

Edit, there's also a perfect sinister node there with all 6 aspects if you wanted another node.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 17, 2015

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

once i get into botania i'm probably going to make a sojourner's sash instead of the boots of the traveller. pretty sure that it's less of a pain to make and also doesn't take up an armor slot/has no durability. does basically the same thing. might even be better?

It's pretty good, but i'd refrain from upgrading it to the Globetrotters Sash. That thing makes you walk like a thousand miles an hour. It's just too darn fast hehe.

Demiurge4 posted:

Also putting a tree-node into a jar and moving it elsewhere removes the biome effect. It has to be in the silverwood block.

Nice, didn't know that detail :tipshat:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Taffer posted:

You should be able to find plenty while mining. They seem to spawn at vanilla levels so mining at y11 with a hammer should get you quite a bit, especially if you get a fortune pick. And since you can swap out tool parts, this is really easy to do. Stick 1 piece of lapis on your pick, and it will slowly (very slowly) grow. As you get more lapis you can stick a bit more on there to speed it up. If you do a decent amount of mining with this then diamonds shouldn't be a problem. I got up to like 80 diamonds at one point but still struggle to get single digits of lead/copper/tin.

Ugh, I was hoping the answer wouldn't be mining.

... Maybe I'll just grind warp until I unlock Voidmetal pickaxes and thaumic bore a huge tunnel at bedrock layer. Thanks for the response though.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

I thought y13 was the sweet spot for diamond mining, since lava lakes and pools spawn mostly up to y12.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ariong posted:

No, it doesn't budge.

Well in that case you can just walk 10 blocks away. Leads break after a certain distance.

Ciaphas posted:

Question, if I make some arcane levitators to make / access a mid-air base, can Taint Stuff (tm) reach it through 20+ blocks of nothing but air?

They can't even reach through 3 blocks of air. A floating base will never get fibrous taint on it, unless you manage to build it on top of a tainted node.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Well in that case you can just walk 10 blocks away. Leads break after a certain distance.

Apparently I'm really really good at making rope.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Humans Among Us posted:

I thought y13 was the sweet spot for diamond mining, since lava lakes and pools spawn mostly up to y12.

Their surface is at y11. But really anywhere between 2 and 15 works

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

McFrugal posted:

They can't even reach through 3 blocks of air. A floating base will never get fibrous taint on it, unless you manage to build it on top of a tainted node.

Sweet. Plan SkyWizard is a go!~

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Ariong posted:

Haha holy poo poo! Well, just proceed normally I guess! What happens when you teleport?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Ariong posted:

Try dumping a bucket of lava on the beacon. They can die, although they'll respawn immediately, so maybe that'll get rid of the link to it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

McFrugal posted:

Haha holy poo poo! Well, just proceed normally I guess! What happens when you teleport?

It turns invisible once I go further than the distance shown.

President Ark posted:

Try dumping a bucket of lava on the beacon. They can die, although they'll respawn immediately, so maybe that'll get rid of the link to it.

Shockingly, that also did not work. The rope reappears when the beacon respawns.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

What about if you die?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

President Ark posted:

What about if you die?

That's 10 reputation!

(I have died over 20 times, the questbook guy isn't happy).

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

That's 10 reputation!

(I have died over 20 times, the questbook guy isn't happy).

Once you get rolling it's pretty trivial to have nearly a thousand of it floating around.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ambaire posted:

I just discovered an easter egg of sorts in Blightfall 2. There's a reason why they have the option to get a Big Reactor and only that...

A hint
Search the space ship from top to bottom.

Secret revealed
Look behind the door that is marked Fuel Storage.

Even if you take all those what can you do with liquid yellorium?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

President Ark posted:

What about if you die?

Nope I'm fairly certain that has happened since I attached the lead.

It's not a big deal anyway, only relevant when I'm in biodome alpha and looking at the teleporter.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Taffer posted:

Make a Pickaxe of the Core, in Blightfall their "find ores" right click is set to only find tech metals. I've got tons of tech metal at this point. Not as much as I would in vanilla, but lots, just from regular mining and occasionally hitting the find tech metals button and digging out whatever it finds.

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 18, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

It's slightly worse -- it only has a 2 block jump instead of the boots' three, but I think they are about the same speed, and they both have step assist. You need a mana tablet in your inventory to power it, however.

Despite this, I swapped my boots out for the sojouner's sash, as with a thaumostatic harness I can go as vertical as I like. I also used one of my ring slots for a band of aura, hopefully that will keep the mana tablet full enough by itself.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Does anyone have or want to write an effortpost about the basics of AE2? I've got the presses but I've never really had any drat clue what to do with this mod.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
The Traveller's X items from Tinker's Construct are also cheap as hell for mobility armor, mostly requiring leather.

Blacktooth
Apr 13, 2007

I am thinking of renting a server for a month or two to play Blightfall. The server I am playing on at the moment is more frustrating than anything, and I would be better off playing solo. If anyone is interested just let me know. Two or three goons and I will definitely rent one.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Magres posted:

Does anyone have or want to write an effortpost about the basics of AE2? I've got the presses but I've never really had any drat clue what to do with this mod.

NEI should tell you all the steps required for crafting. You need to make an inscriber first, and it's a loving pain. Each processor has 3 steps: circuits, silicon, and combination. There are 3 types of processors, gold, quartz, and diamond, and each kind requires a different press for the circuit step. The dick-punchy part of this is that nothing can stack in the inscriber which means you have to put in all the items required for all 3 steps of every single processor individually, every single time. And then to make matters worse, for the quartz processor you can't just use quartz, you have to use pure quartz, which needs to be grown, which either a) takes literal weeks or b) makes you craft a bunch of growth accelerators and use a bunch of power to speed it up. The resources to make those and power them are really scarce in Blighfall however, so have fun with that. It's possible to automate the inscribers, but it requires a lot of additional components so you need to go through these steps a whole bunch of times.

AE is a fantastic mod conceptually, and the new features it brought in with AE2 are really cool. But the setup and crafting without custom recipes is loving awful and an exercise in masochism.

Anyway, now that that's out of the way, setting up a system is easily, you need 5 things:

1) ME Drive. This is where the storage cells go.
2) ME storage cells. They come in 1k, 4k, 16k, and 64k varieties. Each cell holds 63 item types, and each additional type takes a chunk of its storage space, while additional items of the same type take almost very little. Simply put, lots of single items is a little wasteful when you're limited on cells, and higher numbers of the same item stores more efficiently. You'll definitely want to start out with 1k's.
3) Terminal. This is how you see everything in the system, I recommend upgrading this to a crafting terminal because it's divine, once all your storage is in there you'll just have to do the NEI shift click trick and you'll never lay out a recipe ever again.
4) A single ME cable. The terminal has to attach to this.
5) An energy acceptor. This is where your power will come in. You can also use a controller for this but you won't want to start out with one of those because they suck a lot of power.

For basic storage, that's it. There's a lot more capability and complexity once you get into automation and a large sprawling system, I can make another effort post about that if you want.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

I can't even try until later tonight, but if you are looking for something hands-on, you can try my stuff in Baby's First Space Race. Just go in with cheat mode on and smash out the Hoarding and Logistics quest chapter. It roughly explains the what and why, and gives the progression all within the game. My goal was to get somebody started cold from it who might not have even played vanilla Minecraft before, but that's kind of hard to do with AE2.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

Reason posted:

Even if you take all those what can you do with liquid yellorium?

Same thing you do with any liquid metal, put it in a tank, pour tank into smelter, use smelter to make blocks/ingots

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Taffer posted:

AE is a fantastic mod conceptually, and the new features it brought in with AE2 are really cool. But the setup and crafting without custom recipes is loving awful and an exercise in masochism.

Agreed, inscribers are loving horseshit and terrible machines, and the pure quartz thing is terrible too. I wouldn't mind "breaking" Blightfall by adding configs like you had on your servers so you can either A) make pure quartz via crafting, B) skip inscribers, C) remove the need for pure quartz entirely, or D) B and C.

At least Blightfall skips the whole FINDING the presses thing (mostly), but still, arg

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 18, 2015

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
If you're okay with adding mods to Blightfall, AE2Stuff has an inscriber that is much less annoying to use, a crystal growth chamber that you can use instead of water crafting and in the alpha version, a wireless ME connector for use over short distances and this crazy visualization aid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actually, if it weren't for the digital essentia thing of Thaumic Energistics I'd skip AE entirely for Blightfall, I think. I finished reorganizing and consolidating all my crap, after setting up the initial SkyBaseŽ platform, and I only had like three double-chests worth of crap. Nothing like all THAT much, I just needed to organize it.

Now I'm pondering what a not-poo poo thaumcraft base without Thaumic Energistics looks like, essentia jars and all.