Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.

Mak0rz posted:

Another problem (this time a bug, presumably): I can't seem to make Windows 10 pick a folder for the wallpaper slideshow. I'm able to browse to it, but selecting it doesn't do anything. The folder isn't actually added to the list and it doesn't read any images from it.

I had the same issue, only when I set the wallpaper folder to what I wanted it to be, it changed it directly to My Pictures rather than keeping what it was already reading from (namely, the folder I was trying to select). The only way I could set it back was to find the Personalize menu from the desktop (I don't remember the exact wording, but it was essentially the theme picker screen from Win7) and picking an old theme I had previously saved that already had the wallpapers folder properly set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Set Task Manager to open over top of other Windows. That setting must've reset itself.

Edit:
This:

is what you want

Hmm, I checked this when you suggested it, and yes it was not selected at the time so I turned it on.

Then I had the game crash today, and had the same problem again. Always On Top had reset again. :what:

Time to download that 4GB patch and hopefully make FNV a little more stable, I guess.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

icesoldier posted:

I had the same issue, only when I set the wallpaper folder to what I wanted it to be, it changed it directly to My Pictures rather than keeping what it was already reading from (namely, the folder I was trying to select).

Yeah, that's actually what's happening to me too.

icesoldier posted:

The only way I could set it back was to find the Personalize menu from the desktop (I don't remember the exact wording, but it was essentially the theme picker screen from Win7) and picking an old theme I had previously saved that already had the wallpapers folder properly set.

Unfortunately, that isn't available to me :sigh:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I had the sound go out again, and this time I got it to come back by removing all drivers and sound devices. It's got to be a creative Labs X-FI driver issue.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Rahu posted:

I'm also getting this with most, but not all, things i install. They are in the start menu but search just can't find anything :iiam:
The Start Menu search really seems like it needs a lot of work, hopefully it's being improved. I installed the Netflix app straight from the Windows store, verified that it had a big icon sitting right there in the list and was even a live tile, but hitting Start and typing Netflix brought up the web search only for a couple days. It finally Fixed Itself somehow just yesterday, there were some updates installed then so I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

Jan posted earlier in this thread about how the start menu uses a database, it would seem the thing is just not updating reliably:

Jan posted:

The Start Menu is managed using a service, with a database and poo poo. That database has been notoriously lovely for me, with fun issues like permanently becoming unable to detect start menu changes, even after a reboot.

The database is located in %LOCALAPPDATA%\TileDataLayer\Database. The services using that database are "Tile Data model server" and "State Repository Service". They're constantly using the database, so there's no way to delete or rename it while it's in use. You can seemingly stop the services using services.msc, but they start right back up (within a second) and then refuse to be stopped again. They can be killed by using the task manager, look for appmodel under Windows processes. But, again, they'll start right back up.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Since this is a new thread, I guess i'll ask here again:

Anyone find a fix for Windows 10 not putting monitors to sleep?

Going back here... I had the same issue and was looking for a fix. Turns out, I had to disconnect my RockCandy 360 controller and it cleared right up. My monitor is sleeping well again.

Ryguy005
Sep 5, 2005
I'm having problems with software I downloaded. It's saying that it's blocked software and won't install. Is there a work around? Thanks.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ryguy005 posted:

I'm having problems with software I downloaded. It's saying that it's blocked software and won't install. Is there a work around? Thanks.

SmartScreen hides the 'run anyway' option behind 'more information'.

Sometimes it takes a day or three for it to figure out that some obscure/OSS thing is legit.

Sometimes the administrator (corporate IT, your partner at their place, etc) has the only authority to go ahead with running the file.

But sometimes when it tells you that gently caress your download it's right.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

XYZ posted:

edit: Attn: chocolateTHUNDER

Fixed what was causing my monitor to stay on despite my power settings, turns out its the "HID-compliant game controller" causing the problem. Disabled it and now everything works.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/12596-monitor-display-will-not-turn-off-4.html

I just wanna say thanks for this. Disabling this fixed my issue. I guess it's related to my Logitech joystick I have plugged in? Such a weird issue, but I'm glad you found this and pointed me to it :)

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Will a new CPU invalidate my Windows 10 license or is that just motherboards?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

smoobles posted:

Nobody knows the exact algorithm that it uses to generate the hardware id, so the only possible answers to this question are personal anecdotes. Would an answer either way change what you plan to do?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Huh. Apparently my keyboard drivers - even the basic stuff - aren't available until I log in. Mouse works fine, thank god.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

smoobles posted:

Nobody knows for sure, but I imagine if you have a Microsoft account getting a new license is as easy as calling them up and asking.

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Huh. Apparently my keyboard drivers - even the basic stuff - aren't available until I log in. Mouse works fine, thank god.

That's odd. What keyboard do you have?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Logitech G19. The Second screen stuff won't load until the software does in the OS, that's pretty normal, but it's only recent that the actual keypresses aren't loading.

EDIT: I just had a thought and I'm going to need to test it.

EDIT2: Semi-false alarm! I'd set up a PIN instead of a password because Windows 10 seemed really keen for me to do that. Keyboard was definitely working in the BIOS environment, so I wasn't sure what was happening between then and the lock screen. Turns out the NumLock wasn't automatically set on OS load (works fine in BIOS, though :iiam:), and I was trying to type the PIN with the numpad. Using the homerow works fine.

It's still acting weird, because turning on NumLock at the PIN entry doesn't seem to activate the numbered function of the numpad, but that's a lesser worry.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 16, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mak0rz posted:

Any ideas?

Another problem (this time a bug, presumably): I can't seem to make Windows 10 pick a folder for the wallpaper slideshow. I'm able to browse to it, but selecting it doesn't do anything. The folder isn't actually added to the list and it doesn't read any images from it.
I had the same issue and solved it in the most Windows 10 manner possible.

Run "control.exe /NAME Microsoft.Personalization /PAGE pageWallpaper" and you'll get the old Desktop Background settings dialogue.

Ryguy005
Sep 5, 2005

Sir Unimaginative posted:

SmartScreen hides the 'run anyway' option behind 'more information'.

Sometimes it takes a day or three for it to figure out that some obscure/OSS thing is legit.

Sometimes the administrator (corporate IT, your partner at their place, etc) has the only authority to go ahead with running the file.

But sometimes when it tells you that gently caress your download it's right.

It's not Smart Screen. It just says the publisher has been blocked this app from being used. I'm the only admin on my computer. (http://i.imgur.com/xh5hclO.jpg)

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Is there a way to tell the new control panel not to completely close every time a single app is uninstalled?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Ghostlight posted:

I had the same issue and solved it in the most Windows 10 manner possible.

Run "control.exe /NAME Microsoft.Personalization /PAGE pageWallpaper" and you'll get the old Desktop Background settings dialogue.

:allears: Worked like a charm. Thanks so much!

E: looks like the answer to my lock screen question was actually in the power options :ughh:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 17, 2015

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Trying to install my Samsung scanner software and getting this error

I'm getting it from here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCX-4100#manualsDownloads

(it's "SmarThru office 2")

I looked up how to unblock a publisher and people say to go to internet options and manually unblock them but mine is blank:

Any ideas?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

d0s posted:

I'm getting it from here: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SCX-4100#manualsDownloads

(it's "SmarThru office 2")

I looked up how to unblock a publisher and people say to go to internet options and manually unblock them but mine is blank:

Any ideas?

Try saving it, and then right clicking into properties.

Might be able to unblock it from there

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Sappo569 posted:

Try saving it, and then right clicking into properties.

Might be able to unblock it from there

Did that and got an error message I can't screenshot for some reason, which reads "this app has been blocked for your protection" and "an administrator has blocked this app"

edit: I ran it from an admin console and it worked!

d0s fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 17, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

d0s posted:

[EDIT: Also I guess this addresses Ryguy005's issue.]

Ooo, that's a rare dialog box.

Upon further review: The certificate the installer was signed with was explicitly revoked (File Properties > Digital Signatures > Details). I don't know if Microsoft broke its certificate database (happened before) or whoever countersigned the publisher's certificate Blew It™ (could happen if someone did bad things under cover of that CA) or what.

Yeah, Admin Prompt/Powershell is a pretty reliable way to do a thing, but whatever happened happened either on the publisher's watch or Microsoft's and definitely wasn't supposed to.

v v v I get the same dialog he got with that file in my Windows 10 Pro environment on that setting.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Aug 17, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Open smart screen settings and dial it down to the middle option:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Is there anything that can be done about an app that just flat out says "This won't work in Windows 10?" My aging laptop has a touchpad driver that let me disable it using the function key, and the automatically installed Windows driver doesn't have that functionality.

I wanted to try it just to see, what's the worst that could happen if I install it?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Cojawfee posted:

Mine does the same thing. It won't find my programs. I was going to do something mentioned earlier but someone said it deletes all the folders in the start menu.

You lose your tiles, not your folders. It wouldn't be a very handy start menu fix if it deleted the entire start menu, yeah?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

[EDIT: Also I guess this addresses Ryguy005's issue.]

Ooo, that's a rare dialog box.

Upon further review: The certificate the installer was signed with was explicitly revoked (File Properties > Digital Signatures > Details). I don't know if Microsoft broke its certificate database (happened before) or whoever countersigned the publisher's certificate Blew It™ (could happen if someone did bad things under cover of that CA) or what.

Yeah, Admin Prompt/Powershell is a pretty reliable way to do a thing, but whatever happened happened either on the publisher's watch or Microsoft's and definitely wasn't supposed to.

v v v I get the same dialog he got with that file in my Windows 10 Pro environment on that setting.

I think that may also happen for software that Microsoft has tested and found out is very definitely not compatible with Windows 10 and will break horribly and kill your pets. I've had a laptop fall protection driver come up with something similar.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
For a "clean" install via upgrade, my understanding is:
1. Upgrade to Windows 10, activate.
2. Create installation media.
3. With media, re-install over same drive.

What if you want to switch drives? Would this be the correct modified steps?

1. Install previous version on new drive. Activate. (despite having another drive already activated on that version)
2. Upgrade to 10. Activate.
3. Create installation media.
4. With media, re-install over same drive.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Just realized today that Microsoft seems to have finally perfected scaling to a TV screen. Even in 7 and 8 I used to always have to tinker to get things to look right on my TV but I plugged in today with 10 for the first time and everything is scaled perfect right out of the box.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Cheesus posted:

1. Install previous version on new drive. Activate. (despite having another drive already activated on that version)

In theory, but considering I tried that and was told my key was blocked after a clean install (rather than an upgrade,) who knows? :shrug:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cheesus posted:

Yes, this is exactly what I did. Though if you're really paranoid about the drive change pissing something off you could always just clone the old drive to the new drive first, then do the upgrade, then format and install fresh. If you're changing to a SSD they often include a clone tool, otherwise Clonezilla works great and is free.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

For those of you having start menu issues, I've been using a program called "Launchy" since Windows 7.

Default is Alt-Space and it'll search any directory (the default is the start menu) you want.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

EconOutlines posted:

For those of you having start menu issues, I've been using a program called "Launchy" since Windows 7.

Default is Alt-Space and it'll search any directory (the default is the start menu) you want.

This. So many times this. Launchy doesn't give a poo poo about Windows's changing Start Menu nonsense. The only time I used the Start Screen on 8/8.1 was when I wanted to run a program I had just installed, and Launchy hadn't updated its catalog yet.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

So I got a question. I have already upgraded my laptop to 10 with a 7 install, but I have another Win7 home(upgrade) key that isn't currently installed to any system and I want to use it to do a clean install of 10. Has MS put out any way yet for me to turn my Win7 upgrade key into a windows 10 key? I wanted to skip having to upgrade from 7 and just go straight to clean install. Is it possible that I could call MS and get a win10 key by providing my win7 key or am I pretty much stuck doing the "upgrade then do a clean install" path?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Upgrade and install is your only option as far as I know, the free upgrades don't have keys associated with them.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/computers/fears-windows-10-will-blow-data-caps-20150817-gj0i98.html

Windows 10's forced updates seem to be causing issues with data caps causing huge bills.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I honestly find it hard to believe not only that Windows 10 already requires 18 gigs of updates, but that someone even managed to accidentally file-share 18 gigs of updates through satellite internet since release.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

EDIT: Nevermind.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 17, 2015

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I got a key for Windows 10 Education through DreamSpark Premium. Are there any downsides to upgrading from 10 Pro (using DISM)? Is there some sort of expiration date for the key?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
e: nvm read your question wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My desktop was hibernating fine, but today it's woken up twice for no apparent reason. I have WOL allowed. powercfg -lastwake doesn't provide any useful information (http://i.imgur.com/EkooCfl.png), and the only wake timer that shows up is some Windows Update reboot scheduled for tomorrow at 11:16 (wtf?). I know that I might be able to find some information in Event Viewer, but that thing's pretty obtuse to me; any tips for finding what information might be there, or any other routes I should investigate?