Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

ShakeZula posted:

If that were the case why would he have bothered going to therapy at all?

Because presumably there were enough people paying attention to him, and maybe doing unhackable paperwork, that it was easier for him to just go than deal with trying to trick everyone. Also, he is one big walking cry for help. I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to go out of a halfassed desire to improve himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
He went on his own free will on the last visit and the therapist was surprised to see him considering the sessions were done, unless he had some other motive that time that I forgot.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
So I've watched all of the show currently out, and I can't tell if it's good or it's just a well-directed spanish soap opera. Can anyone help me try to figure that out? I feel like they said, "We'll make all the hacking real, and then we can make all the characters absurd and it will stay grounded." Like I bet with almost zero googling I could find a retelling of Mr. Robot as a spanish soap modulo the computer stuff.

I'm also not sure if, from a storytelling perspective, it's great to mix massive plot twists that occur for real with massive plot twists built by an unreliable narrator. There's a point in the show where you have to say, "I literally cannot tell what is actually occurring onscreen other than what I am perceiving in the moment, because the directors have taken carte blanche with retcons into a fitting story." Are there other works of fiction that explore this genre?

Also, this show seems to have no sustainable hope for a season two unless they do some really dumb bullshit.

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Anyone gone back over the earlier episodes to see how things stack up in light of the latest revelations? It feels like they've had the story laid out from the beginning.

Someone told me the show was planned as a movie originally. If that's true, then yeah, for sure.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 18, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Spergatory posted:

I thought it was original score, but I just found out the song used during :siren:THE REVEAL:siren: last week is called "Gone" by M83. It's pretty great.
The show has a bunch of original score combined with fantastic soundtrack selection.

QuantumNinja posted:

So I've watched all of the show currently out, and I can't tell if it's good or it's just a well-directed spanish soap opera. Can anyone help me try to figure that out?
I don't understand Spanish so I'm pretty sure it's just good.

That aside, the real question is, do you care about what happens in the show? Did you care about what would happen to Shayla? Did you feel an emotion when Tyrell was emasculated? Or when he killed a woman? Did you enjoy the massive twist reveal that technically never hid itself from you, it just never came up? If you answered no to all of this, then it is a bad show.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 18, 2015

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Harminoff posted:

He went on his own free will on the last visit and the therapist was surprised to see him considering the sessions were done, unless he had some other motive that time that I forgot.

I thought the show said the therapy was court ordered

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

joebuddah posted:

I thought the show said the therapy was court ordered

It was however the mandate ended on episode 5 or 6 and he went to see her on his own at the end of episode 7. He kind of scared her as he was there early in the morning however she had a session with him before her first client came in and told her everything he knew about her and how she was lonely and he was lonely as well and wanted a way out of loneliness.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Aug 18, 2015

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Harminoff posted:

It was however the mandate ended on episode 5 or 6 and he went to see her on his own at the end of episode 7. He kind of scared her as he was there early in the morning however she had a session with him before her first client came in and told her everything he knew about her and how she was lonely and he was lonely as well and wanted a way out of loneliness.
By the way.. what happened with him and Krista? He says he hurt her and that she's a normal person who is afraid to peer over the fence to see the truth. Does that mean she didn't want to give him therapy and that's why he deleted her files, because he's not going to see her anymore? I assume this much since he deleted his file on her.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

My assumption is that he's since severed connection, but it wouldn't be anywhere out of the ordinary for one of them to reach out to the other at any given point.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
They need to balance the unreliable narration against him going back.on.his meds, otherwise I'll be with the other guy calling it a soap.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Someone pointed out to me that "I'm your father, and you kissed your sister" is also the plot of Empire.

E:

Accretionist posted:

They need to balance the unreliable narration against him going back.on.his meds, otherwise I'll be with the other guy calling it a soap.

That's almost certainly not going to happen. We aren't going to get the rules for when/where/how the unreliable narrator crops up until the last possible moment. As a result, all we have to predict what will happen next is blind guesses: we literally cannot trust what's going on in the story. We'll probably only find out what we can and cannot trust after we see the story play out, after it's too late to help us. That's why I likened it to a soap: the story defines the characters, up to and including the narrator's reliability, not the other way around.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Aug 18, 2015

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

QuantumNinja posted:

I feel like they said, "We'll make all the hacking real, and then we can make all the characters absurd and it will stay grounded."

I'll say it again - I think the show is about hacking as much as Breaking Bad was about chemistry. As in - not really at all, but they get the details right because that makes for better storytelling.

The show is about mental illness, the small ones we all live with, and the big ones that some people (like Elliot and Tyrell) have to deal with. And it does its characters a service by not making the truly ill ones stark-raving mad, but having them be functional - or semi-functional - in society while showing the depths to which their inner thoughts separate them from others, as well as the depths to which the characters' environment helps to exacerbate their illness.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Jose posted:

m83 did the oblivion sound track and whatever you think of the film, its an amazing sound track

Seconding this. M83 killed it with that soundtrack. I loved the inclusion in Mr. Robot as well.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

ashpanash posted:

I'll say it again - I think the show is about hacking as much as Breaking Bad was about chemistry. As in - not really at all, but they get the details right because that makes for better storytelling.

I'm not sure the comparison to Breaking Bad is valid. I'd say Mr. Robot is as much about hacking as Dexter was about murder. In both cases the activities of the characters define them much more than chemistry does with Walter White. Chemistry is just a tool for WW (and the plot also treats it that way) while hacking/murder is pretty much an urge for the other two and dominates their life in a much more personal manner. For WW chemistry was just an ability, he didn't use it to interact with the world/other people while hacking/murdering people is the "real" way to experience the world for the other two. There is a reason why murdering/hacking is so often part of their inner monologues and the characters try to draw parallels between those activities and their "normal" lifes. That doesn't really happen in WW's case, you could change chemistry with biology or some other skill and it wouldn't change the character or how he interacts with the world at all (it's in the end about his ego and being more than "just" a father/husband/teacher).
That's why imo hacking is central to the show, not due to the technical details but hacking is more than just a convient tool/skill set for the protagonist.

quote:

The show is about mental illness, the small ones we all live with, and the big ones that some people (like Elliot and Tyrell) have to deal with. And it does its characters a service by not making the truly ill ones stark-raving mad, but having them be functional - or semi-functional - in society while showing the depths to which their inner thoughts separate them from others, as well as the depths to which the characters' environment helps to exacerbate their illness.

I'd argue that it goes beyond just making a point about mental illness, it questions reality (and identity) and thus why hacking is such a perfect fit for it because it can blur the lines between reality and the virtual (imagined) world/identity (as do drugs so their use is no accident either).

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

LinkesAuge posted:

I'd argue that it goes beyond just making a point about mental illness, it questions reality (and identity) and thus why hacking is such a perfect fit for it because it can blur the lines between reality and the virtual (imagined) world/identity (as do drugs so their use is no accident either).

You do have a good point, the hacking metaphor goes a long way, and it's very much tied up in the narrative. Chemistry was always in the background of Breaking Bad - WW was metaphorically a caustic, corrosive element that destroyed everything he touched - but hacking is much more front and center with Mr. Robot.

Fundamentally, though, what makes each show work is that when the shows are at their best, it's about the characters and their struggles, and they let the characters drive the plot, rather than vice versa. The fact that the hacking being shown on screen is, for the most part, fairly realistic, is similar to how Breaking Bad got its chemistry largely right as well.

If you ask me, that's an advantage because it's a sort of restriction that forces the show to be nimble. How can you make text-based hacking exciting? I think they have figured most of that out. How can you solve an issue if the hacking is based mostly on real-word techniques, not movie magic? It's a balancing act, but putting in that sort of restriction to make your show more grounded helps make the more fantastic elements (such as the mental projections and hallucinations) easier to swallow.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

QuantumNinja posted:

Also, this show seems to have no sustainable hope for a season two unless they do some really dumb bullshit.

Someone told me the show was planned as a movie originally. If that's true, then yeah, for sure.

I'm pretty sure it's already been picked up for season 2, and the writer claims to have 4 or 5 seasons already plotted out. It was originally planned as a movie, until the writer decided that it would work better as a TV show.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

empty baggie posted:

I'm pretty sure it's already been picked up for season 2, and the writer claims to have 4 or 5 seasons already plotted out. It was originally planned as a movie, until the writer decided that it would work better as a TV show.

With absolutely nothing backing this up, I'm gonna say its better as a TV show than a movie. Even chopping up what we've got so far and eliminating excess plot points, I can't imagine a movie being half as interesting as this season has been.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Be sure to watch this episode through to the very, very end tonight, Marvel style.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

magiccarpet posted:

Be sure to watch this episode through to the very, very end tonight, Marvel style.

Hmmm, so they're pulling a 'Game of Thrones' and dropping the craziest poo poo on us for the 2nd to last episode, huh?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
This ep is off to a start.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lot of "loving" in this week's episode so far.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Lot of "loving" in this week's episode so far.
At one point I swear they censored a 'what the ____' with silence.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

:siren: Sociopath Jr. Lives :siren:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Tyrell could probably push ecorps poo poo in if he wanted to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This really seems to be building up to Mr Robot not being real.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Man when will people realize that you should never say "let it/them go" when something you like is hanging over an edge?

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
IT WAS THE lovely REVEAL ALL ALONG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Waynebo posted:

Ugh I'm gonna give this show like, 4 more seasons, and if it hasnt turned around by then, I am quitting for serious

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
"You knew all along, didn't you?"

Oh, Elliot. :allears:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Really? Where is my mind?

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

Really? Where is my mind?

Sam Esmail is like I DON'T GIVE A poo poo IF I RIPPED OFF FIGHT CLUB THIS IS BETTER

Steve112sms
Mar 20, 2002

Paregoric babies of the world unite.

Waynebo posted:

Nah, not really though. The wacky "faked death" theory people were floating here would have been the lovely reveal because it wouldn't have made sense or it would have required a lot of convoluted back explanation. This reveal wasn't even a twist, really. They made it fairly evident from the jump. With the exception of the Darlene being his sister twist, this show hasn't really been about twists. It's been more about the execution.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This loving show and its final scenes. I was physically leaning towards the screen during the whole section with Tyrell and Elliot. I kind of hurt my back a little. :stare:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey, there's a gun in that popcorn machine.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
...Okay but what the gently caress was with Tyrell meeting with Mr. Robot? It seemed like that he just realized Elliot's involvement, so it couldn't have been the two of them meeting in the car.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

So now that Ghost Dad is confirmed I'm still a little curious how a few things really went down, especially the Slater/Tyrell limo scene from last week. The ending didn't make that any clearer.

E: Beaten.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Tyrell's not real. Nope, no way. Just another figment of Elliot's deranged imagination.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

Spergatory posted:

"You knew all along, didn't you?"

Oh, Elliot. :allears:

"You're going to make me say it"

I thought they handled the (not so much of a ) reveal pretty great.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

hcreight posted:

So now that Ghost Dad is confirmed I'm still a little curious how a few things really went down, especially the Slater/Tyrell limo scene from last week. The ending didn't make that any clearer.

E: Beaten.

It's symbolic. Two aspects of Elliot's personality working behind his back without his knowledge. Neither are real.

Everything we've seen of Tyrell Wellick is just Elliot's imagination.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

PunkBoy posted:

...Okay but what the gently caress was with Tyrell meeting with Mr. Robot? It seemed like that he just realized Elliot's involvement, so it couldn't have been the two of them meeting in the car.

It's pretty bizarre considering Tyrell mentioned "his secret" the same way that Elliott and Edward were talking about "his secret" so who knows. Also :lol: at Esmail swinging directly at Fight Club with Where is My Mind. It's nice to see that his dad actually is dead because a faked death would have felt cheap. I also really do enjoy that we're characters and Elliot can so conveniently speak to us directly without it being some meta 4th wall thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

PunkBoy posted:

No, Tyrell already knew of Elliot's involvement and revealed it when they interacted at Steel Mountain in the bathroom. That started the whole revenge speech.

• Locked thread