Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
If the "gory" part of your request isn't mandatory, read The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer. It has great action, great characters, a good story, and the single best love confession I've seen in manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sad Mammal posted:

Berserk isn't likely to get an ending, but at this point it's been running for more than 25 years; ending or not there's 37 volumes of high-quality action material that people should look at.

I think Deadwood (a great manga by HBO) weaned me off the whole ending thing. And, well, the original anime - I'm pretty sure I went years before picking up the manga after watching that loving ending. If Miura announced he was never going to do more, I don't think I'd care. It's gone on for so long that it'd be a shame, but it doesn't somehow invalidate the rest, I think of that book's arcs as being mostly self-contained anyway.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I was looking through the thread but I didn't see it

What was the name of the manga that was about the "Bonnie and Clyde-esque" serial killers travelling across Japan and then Godzilla shows up?

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
The World is Mine

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

If One Piece up and stopped updating altogether tomorrow, despite being my favorite manga by a long shot and having some amazing storylines in it, I would still tell folks to not read it because it was never finished.

Fort of the Apocalypse was very clearly cancelled, and it makes it much more difficult for me to recommend it even if it has an "ending".

I'm not saying that the ending is the most important part, but rather, I don't like incomplete stories as a whole.
Both Berserk and One Piece (especially One Piece) are more about the journey than the destination to me. No other chapters could come out for either and I would still recommend both in all likelihood.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know that, and the journey is just as important, but a bad ending or no ending at all can severely damage the overall quality of a work. Especially one like one piece, where it foreshadows SO MUCH and then if it abruptly cut off it'd greatly decrease the quality of it.

Maybe it was a bit hyperbolic to say I'd never recommend it to someone, but there'd be a big fat flashing caveat with the recommendation.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I dunno, there are few things that keep me out of reading more manga than "oh, this series has 1500+ chapters and it hasn't finished yet and it might never finish". Especially when you notice the author trying desperately to stretch things out so his/her publisher doesn't go and do whatever it is they do in Japan to poor mangakas. I think the caveat is valid, and I say this as someone that was unemployed, bored out of his mind and read all of Ippo/watched all of HxH.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I recommend HxH to people all the loving time. Sometimes I deign to tell them about its checkered update history. :getin:

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Dias posted:

I dunno, there are few things that keep me out of reading more manga than "oh, this series has 1500+ chapters and it hasn't finished yet and it might never finish". Especially when you notice the author trying desperately to stretch things out so his/her publisher doesn't go and do whatever it is they do in Japan to poor mangakas. I think the caveat is valid, and I say this as someone that was unemployed, bored out of his mind and read all of Ippo/watched all of HxH.

Holy crap this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Battle Angel Alita, Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, and Battle Angel Alita: Mars Chronicles - A series that has been running for nearly three decades, with some of my favorite and most creative artwork of any series. The author, Yukito Kishiro, is incredibly good at designing unique cyberpunk designs with insane levels of detail, and the fights are intense and extremely well-choreographed. The characters of Alita, Dr. Ido, and the pretty incredible and infamous Desty Nova, go through some serious poo poo throughout the series. Set centuries past our current time in one of the more dystopian cyberpunk settings around, it goes from earth, to space, eventually to mars over the course of its story, and explores various aspects of humanity's evolution as it does so. This is the series that James Cameron wants to make into a movie after he's done with the second Avatar movie, and apparently his Dark Angel series was something he wanted to make an official Battle Angel show, though I never watched it. The series is gruesome, it's violent as hell and shifts from lighthearted to apocalyptic in the blink of an eye. The story can go from grounded in reality to totally absurd pretty fast, including hypersonic thumb-wrestling, more obscene nanomachine use than Kojima ever dreamed of, among other things. From hard sci-fi to power rangers-esque ridiculousness moment to moment. Have some sample pages:

Battle Angel Alita volumes available on Amazon, it appears the original series is out of print but volumes can still be had at an elevated price point. Last Order is available in omnibus format, meaning very cheap per-volume prices. Mars Chronicles is as of yet unlicensed still.

Battle Angel Alita on kissmanga
BAA: Last Order on kissmanga
Battle Angel Alita: Mars Chronicles on kissmanga

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
They still haven't announced Last Order Omnibus 6 though :argh:.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Delicious Dungeon is one of the more inventive, clever, funny, and mouth-watering series I've been reading as of late. It makes me super hungry for nonexistent food. It's about a D&D-esque group of dungeoneers who are too poor to afford food provisions to continue in their attempts to rescue a party member who was eaten by a dragon, so they instead start cooking and eating the monsters they fight along the way, with detailed rundowns of monster anatomy and the best way to prepare them. It's great. My favorite one is the Living Armor two-parter because it's just so drat creative with how you would go about eating a suit of living armor. :allears:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Delicious Dungeon is pretty drat great, thanks for linking it!

I'm guessing that the "Slime" instructions are probably supposed to actually be for jellyfish, right?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Marsilla's reaction to all that gross poo poodelicious food they have to eat is the best part of that manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Apparently the entire volume is being worked on now so there's a good 8(?)ish chapters left that, if the rate of releases is any indication, should all be out within the next couple weeks. Hooray!

The latest chapter, Orcs, is really brutal/cute.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Been a while! Got another recommendation, Keyman, The Hand of Judgement. Quoting myself from elsewhere:

An interesting take on western comic-style superheroes with an eastern flavor is Keyman: The Hand of Judgement.

It follows detective Alex Rex, a Tyrannosaurus Rex Beastman, as he tries to find out the origins of "The Keyman", the mysterious superhero who appeared in the 1930's Gotham-style Lockville City. Every guy is dressed like a 1930's mobster or detective, it's great. Alex Rex is an outstanding character, seriously, one of my favorite dudes in a manga in a while.

The author loves his T&A to a ridiculous degree, and the inky black-and-white, stark shadow artstyle can make some action scenes confusing, but it's a hell of a ride all the way through. It's nearly finished as well, from what I've heard.

All of the onomatopoeia is in english to begin with, I believe, which leads to some ridiculous sound effects of course

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That looks amazing and has gone right on my watchlist.

Delicious Dungeon is pretty good as well.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I was with it on this until they started sexualizing the 12 year old.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

The beginning setup is great, and the art is astounding, but the story gets really weird and hard to understand and the characters don't really get too much development in my opinion. And yes, the sexualization is ridiculous. Good concept and vision, poor execution.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Glagha posted:

:japan:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Glagha posted:

I actually forgot about that, yeah, it sucks but she starts to wear normal clothes, i think someone makes a "have you no shame"-esque remark shortly beforehand. It's been a little while so I don't remember when specifically, but it does knock it off eventually.

There's a reason she's a weird, abnormal "kid" which gets explained. Still not great in the beginning though, which is a shame because I like her character, she provides brevity to the too-serious cops.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I decided to stick it out and yeah she's a better character when she's wearing clothes. The fanservice is way more gratuitous than I had expected but I'm much more comfortable with sexualizing adults even if said adult seems to exists only to prance around and be clumsy comic relief gir- WHOOPS MY TITS FELL OUT. I have very mixed feelings but I want to see more dinosaur detective.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Glagha posted:

I decided to stick it out and yeah she's a better character when she's wearing clothes. The fanservice is way more gratuitous than I had expected but I'm much more comfortable with sexualizing adults even if said adult seems to exists only to prance around and be clumsy comic relief gir- WHOOPS MY TITS FELL OUT. I have very mixed feelings but I want to see more dinosaur detective.
Yeah. The fanservice is absurd, as mentioned the artist LOVES his T&A(I don't think I've ever seen tits as big as Dr. Necro's real body, those proportions are truly insane). Every character has ridiculous proportions in the comic book sense, if you think Keyman is jacked, wait until you see some of the later characters.

Alex's wife is also sexualized but she's got actual agency in the story and is pretty loving badass, unlike Clumsy McFreckletits who is just a damsel in distress

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

So, the Stockholm Film Festival is showing the movie adaption of I Am Hero tomorrow, I love the manga in the "this is far better than most other manga out there" sense, should I bother watching the movie? Anyone else watched it yet?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm gonna guess it's live action!

I can't think of a single live action adaptation of an anime or manga that wasn't trash garbage!

(edge of tomorrow doesn't really count)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

I can't think of a single live action adaptation of an anime or manga that wasn't trash garbage!

The Gantz movies were pretty fun, and at least they pulled more from the source material past the drat Temple Mission. The ending of the second movie was pretty crap, but it at least tried.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Captain Invictus posted:

black swan was p good imo

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Gantz movies were pretty fun, and at least they pulled more from the source material past the drat Temple Mission. The ending of the second movie was pretty crap, but it at least tried.

That's okay, it's impossible for it to be worse than the original ending to Gantz.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Begemot posted:

That's okay, it's impossible for it to be worse than the original ending to Gantz.

You're forgetting the anime series ending.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Glagha posted:

I read it up until that full color cover of a 12 year old in sexy underwear and now I want to die.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

Captain Invictus posted:

Oldboy, the Shogun Assassin/Lone Wolf and Cub movies (doubly so if Road to Perdition counts as an adaptation), City Hunter's good fun, don't know if I'd even call Death Note "good" but at least not "trash garbage", Ichi the Killer was gross but I liked it.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Captain Invictus posted:

If One Piece up and stopped updating altogether tomorrow, despite being my favorite manga by a long shot and having some amazing storylines in it, I would still tell folks to not read it because it was never finished.

Fort of the Apocalypse was very clearly cancelled, and it makes it much more difficult for me to recommend it even if it has an "ending".

I'm not saying that the ending is the most important part, but rather, I don't like incomplete stories as a whole.

I know this is an old post but has One Piece moved into the end game yet or is it still in the middle of the story?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
One Piece likely won't finish for at least another five years.

They just finished the Dressrosa arc and have moved onto the Zou arc, in which it immediately gets very One Piece with Zou being an entire country mounted on the back of a colossal, ancient elephant that is slowly walking through the oceans

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
So I just finished the first three volumes of Akira. What are some similar mangas to it? The main things I've liked about Akira so far are:

1) The Cyberpunk/Post-Apocalyptic setting
and
2) It being a short series (just six volumes total)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CowboyAndy posted:

So I just finished the first three volumes of Akira. What are some similar mangas to it? The main things I've liked about Akira so far are:

1) The Cyberpunk/Post-Apocalyptic setting
and
2) It being a short series (just six volumes total)

Sounds like you want Blame!

It gets kinda surreal at times, but it's only 10 volumes and it's really, really cyberpunk. Although it's got more cyber than punk overall.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
Other cyberpunk-y, apocalypse-y things off the top of my head:

Ghost in the Shell for the obvious, Legend of Mother Sarah is basically Chiyoko: The Manga, Uncivilized Planet, Blame! (or any of Tsutomu Nihei's stuff), Tekkon Kinkreet. All side more "punk" than "cyber" except for Nihei's stuff. Also check out the comics of Moebius; Otomo owes a looooot of his visual style to him.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Sounds great! I'll check it out. From what I read about Ghost in the Shell, there are some lesbian senses, but in a computer... or something...?

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
There's a sex scene without much plot significance in the original, but I think they removed it when they imported it here in the States. Oh also check out Gunm/Battle Angel Alita.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

CowboyAndy posted:

Sounds great! I'll check it out. From what I read about Ghost in the Shell, there are some lesbian senses, but in a computer... or something...?

It was redrawn by the author (it's one page) for Dark Horse's release, then put back in for a later edition, now taken back out for Kodansha's version, which is actually the exact same as the old Dark Horse version and is currently the only one in print.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

CowboyAndy posted:

If you're not averse to moving pictures, Ghost in the Shell has several anime adaptations. All of them are high-budget productions with a ton of polish. For my money the two seasons of TV anime called Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and GitS:SAC 2nd Gig are some of the best cyberpunk that's ever been made.

Many people swear by the movie adaptations, and they're probably worth watching. The first, I think, benefits a lot from nostalgia but is an impressive production and well worth seeing. The second movie, Innocence, is absolutely stunning visually, but the writing is ....