Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whalesteak
May 6, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

And he just shaves his head entirely instead :v:

Woulda been better if we got to see Cory Stoll narrowly slipping through security checkpoints in an Elvis wig, then a rainbow afro, and sneaking back into the city in full bozo regalia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Was that Quinlan?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

B.H. Facials posted:

Was that Quinlan?

There's no way that's not him.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

B.H. Facials posted:

Was that Quinlan?

Yup.

And may I just say that he needed to show up when he did to take my mind off of having watched Palmer skeezing on his aide. Ughhhhhhhhhhh

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007
I was wondering what was so familiar about him in next week's promo, turns out according to google he's being played by Rupert Penry-Jones (most recently Thomas Hamilton from Black Sails). I'll take that as consolation for losing McHattie, I guess.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

whalesteak posted:

Woulda been better if we got to see Cory Stoll narrowly slipping through security checkpoints in an Elvis wig, then a rainbow afro, and sneaking back into the city in full bozo regalia.

Corey Stoll and his strong wig game confirmed for the next season of The Americans.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Yeesssss Quinlan!!!! I'll miss the vampire ninja squad though.

I laughed when Eph asks Zach if he knows what magical thinking is. He's such an rear end in a top hat.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I want to bully Zach

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

whalesteak posted:

I hope the costume department uses Eph's need to disguise himself to introduce a series of ever more hilarious wigs.

two more weeeks!

Eph going bald as a disguise is one of the so bad it becomes good moments in this show.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I felt like I was watching some crappy actor evolve into Corey Stoll

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty

Gonz posted:

Corey Stoll and his strong wig game confirmed for the next season of The Americans.

He will actually need to step his wig game way up for that show.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Vaun - Quinlan switcharoo seems like the most unnecessary thing, when the original character was doing such a good job most people assumed he was Quinlan.

Also Mrs. Public Executions having a hamfisted emotional moment was pretty silly.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
Just binge watched this show. I have a feeling the Master is after Zach for his new body, and that Zach will be tempted to go, "screw you dad, I'm becoming a vampire so I can be with mum!" So Eph might wanna tell him about the dick falling off thing to give him second thoughts about that. Wanna get my hands on those novels now.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

After skimming an article it would appear the showrunners did the Quinlan/Vaun thing for funsies. This guy is Quinlan. I've never heard of him, but he seems like he might be popular in the UK.

When was the name "Vaun" revealed? I must have missed that. And did Quinlan get his giant femur weapon from a White Walker?

greententacle posted:

Wanna get my hands on those novels now.

Spoiler: Zach is never not terrible.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

steinrokkan posted:

The Vaun - Quinlan switcharoo seems like the most unnecessary thing, when the original character was doing such a good job most people assumed he was Quinlan.

Eh, it worked in showing that Palmer isn't blind or stupid, that he's aware of the danger he's in and has taken measures to protect himself. Did a lot of good for his character in my opinion.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ShakeZula posted:

Eh, it worked in showing that Palmer isn't blind or stupid, that he's aware of the danger he's in and has taken measures to protect himself. Did a lot of good for his character in my opinion.

At the same time it trivialized the power and foresight of the Ancients, in my opinion. It's like they didn't even need to exist.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

At the same time it trivialized the power and foresight of the Ancients, in my opinion. It's like they didn't even need to exist.

Well they didn't really have a whole lot of foresight really. They sort of split the world up amongst themselves and the Master just busted all that up by coming into New York via plane and then spreading his worms around, he went rogue. The ancients are central to the overall story though.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music
That annoying little kid and his facial expressions. :rolleyes:

I really hope he gets infected.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Whispering Machines posted:

I didn't find him that bad in the first season, but in the second yeah he's just been a brat the whole time, but still that's kinda understandable given he's just realised his mum has been turned. And also how Eph kinda sheltered him so he probably didn't realise how bad the 'plague' was and how there's no coming back from it (at least that we know of!). But still, it sucks for the viewers having a bratty kid around, even if it makes sense in world!

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Whispering Machines posted:

I dunno. In the books his story has a pretty satisfying ending, makes you feel all warm and glowy on the inside.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

^ Please tell me he dies.

greententacle posted:

I didn't find him that bad in the first season, but in the second yeah he's just been a brat the whole time, but still that's kinda understandable given he's just realised his mum has been turned. And also how Eph kinda sheltered him so he probably didn't realise how bad the 'plague' was and how there's no coming back from it (at least that we know of!). But still, it sucks for the viewers having a bratty kid around, even if it makes sense in world!

As of the latest episode, the kid still thinks his mum is okay despite everything Eph has told and shown him.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Schizotek posted:

I dunno. In the books his story has a pretty satisfying ending, makes you feel all warm and glowy on the inside.

:v:

At this point even if I wanted to spoil the ending to the books there's really no point since they seem to be diverting from the books enough that the ending may be totally different. I'm actually counting on it at this point due to how one particular storyline has changed.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Mmm... Frozen shrimp

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Finally, some news of politicians physically fighting with each other, and impeachment articles being written up against a President that refuses to secure New York.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

gently caress this show. All this build up to Roger Cross returning and he dies within a few hours of joining their group.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I like this show but certain things are absurdly dumb. It is widely known that there is some crazy vampire plague but people are still chilling and delivering chinese food and poo poo. Also the kid is just horrible. Horrible.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
Everybody hates Zack, even the characters. Probably even Eph. When they were in that church and he whipped out that inhaler I almost lost my drat mind. Its bad enough that he's the most annoying bratty little poo poo ever, but then they top him off with inappropriately timed asthma attacks. Give me a loving break.

Octy posted:

gently caress this show. All this build up to Roger Cross returning and he dies within a few hours of joining their group.

This.

What was the point of this? I don't even remember him giving the group any useful information whatsoever. Please tell me I missed something and this actually served some purpose. I mean, I know this show does a lot of stupid things but I can't, for the life of me, imagine what the writers were trying to do by bringing him back and then just killing him off almost immediately.

Sometimes this show is fun to watch but its so inconsistent. This episode was garbage.

DecentHairJelly fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Aug 17, 2015

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
So I shouldn't watch this last episode then? Did Quinlan do anything cool?

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Med School posted:

I was thinking the same thing. I've not read the story or know anything about Quinlan but drat are things pretty bad right now. It's a cool concept but their execution of this whole story is just so ridiculously bad. I'm about ready to give up.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Med School posted:

In the previous episode he walked from an airplane into a limousine.

In this episode he walked from a truck into a limousine.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Church/annoyingkid/mildlyannoyingwoman chase/fight was comical and seemed to have seconds trimmed off in editing here and there lending the whole sequence a really jumpy feel. And I laughed so hard when the guy who should have been a mega badass got kilt, looked like a cartoon.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DecentHairJelly posted:

Sometimes this show is fun to watch but its so inconsistent. This episode was garbage.

It's pretty much always been at this quality level. There was potential but now it's just fun to laugh at.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

DecentHairJelly posted:

Everybody hates Zack, even the characters. Probably even Eph. When they were in that church and he whipped out that inhaler I almost lost my drat mind. Its bad enough that he's the most annoying bratty little poo poo ever, but then they top him off with inappropriately timed asthma attacks. Give me a loving break.

This.

What was the point of this? I don't even remember him giving the group any useful information whatsoever. Please tell me I missed something and this actually served some purpose. I mean, I know this show does a lot of stupid things but I can't, for the life of me, imagine what the writers were trying to do by bringing him back and then just killing him off almost immediately.

Well he did tell them about the properties Palmer was buying and converting, and even gave them a map. So he served some purpose in advancing their mission.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

Thank you. Knowing that there was at least some reason for all that makes me feel slightly better.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
So they introduced Quinlan (presumably), one of the coolest characters in the books, then over 2 hour long episodes he walks between some vehicles....

Yea gently caress this.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Just caught up with last week's episode. Pretty cool how the old guy is building up his team with that rich guys guard.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

As soon as Eph opened the door and shouted "Rob? Rob, you here?", it was obvious Rob was 110% deceased.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Gonz posted:

As soon as Eph opened the door and shouted "Rob? Rob, you here?", it was obvious Rob was 110% deceased.

Yeah, plotting like this is so by the numbers.

I'm still watching this because it's an easy enough thing to do on Sundays (don't have much else to watch) but goddamn is some of the stuff predictable.

This is on Eph too. I know he warned them away from dealing with Stoneheart but he should have been just a wee more emphatic. Something like "Elements within the Stoneheart group are willing to kill to keep the infection going."

I guess it's some sort of clumsy statement on his alcoholism and I'm sure this will leave Eph spiraling, but the material has been tread in this exact same way before.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Eh. From the moment he met that guy he was deader than a cop the day before his retirement calling his wife to let her know he loves her. I was actually mildly surprised by the plot twist of him and chemical plant girl not being counter-agents working for Stoneheart, since they were telegraphing that hard. We know they aren't gonna actually solve the problem, so preventing seemingly obvious "solutions" is important for the narrative.

It's genre fiction, but genre fiction-by-the-numbers would have had them working for Stoneheart. Especially since the chick kept calling "Jonas" and that is the guy Eichart (sp?) kept calling on before. The name and (to a certain extent) chronological ambiguity created some tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Can we at least agree that the indian girl who works at the restaurant is pretty smoking hot?

• Locked thread