Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Watching episode 00 and 01 back to back made me realise that both are filled with dramatic close ups, shots of scenery/sky, pans and zooms. And yet they couldn't be more different.

I'm looking forward to seeing the student film episode of Hyouka again just to compare it with the Adventures of Mikuru-chan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Someone better than me please speed up the second gif to match the first... I don't know how

Linnaeus fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 18, 2015

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

In Training posted:

Episode 00 - The Adventure of Mikuru Asahina

I'm a bad person, but this may very well be my favorite moment of the entire series.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Alright. Let's get this party started...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Haha, the aspect ratio.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Haha, the aspect ratio.

Its especially cool because i highly doubt in 2006 that the average amateur video recording device shot in 4:3.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Everything about this episode perfectly nails high school student films, right down to the part where the younger sibling plays with the camera for a bit.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Man, finding this poo poo in the broadcast order is really hard to do. I swear one of these dodgy streaming sites just straight up mislabeled everything.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Umm, just find a good source in chronological order, and watch them in the order you want.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Suddenly, talking cat.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Umm, just find a good source in chronological order, and watch them in the order you want.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

Man, finding this poo poo in the broadcast order is really hard to do. I swear one of these dodgy streaming sites just straight up mislabeled everything.

Even if you can't find it in broadcast order, you can figure out when to watch which episodes. The wikipedia page gives episode numbers for the original broadcast order, chronological, DVD, and 2009 broadcast order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Melancholy_of_Haruhi_Suzumiya_episodes

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

StandardVC10 posted:

The excessively-large (hint hint?) 720p batch that I have included a txt file describing the two orders, and, indeed included VLC playlists for both the chronological and broadcast orders (at least of S1).

Not streaming, granted, but it solves your problem.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 18, 2015

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've been using the one on the Haruhi wiki. http://haruhi.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Episodes

Of course there's a Haruhi wiki. Probably full of spoilers if that's a thing you want to avoid don't click around on it i guess.

I do kinda miss the previews which went something like: "Next time on the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode Four: Episode 7"

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

See, what happened is that I had a hard time determining which of the four possible episode numbering schemes the site was using, because it didn't provide their titles.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hmm, as a professional anime judger, I deem this show...

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Good!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

See you folks Wednesday.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

I wonder how Kyon got that higher-angle shot of the school roof at the beginning of Yuki and Mikuru's climactic battle.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

In Training posted:

Im uploading this first gif now because I have a question for someone who may speak Japanese or may know something about it: what was up with this moment? Ive never really understood it, why does Mikuru correct herself?

Sounds like she was about to say shitsureishimashita since she's used to speaking politely, and then corrected herself with the more casual shitsureishimasu, which was probably Haruhi's script idea for her character.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

a kitten posted:

I've been using the one on the Haruhi wiki. http://haruhi.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Episodes

Of course there's a Haruhi wiki. Probably full of spoilers if that's a thing you want to avoid don't click around on it i guess.

I do kinda miss the previews which went something like: "Next time on the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode Four: Episode 7"

One interesting thing about those previews is that Kyon gives the broadcast order, while Haruhi gives the chronological order when you'd expect it to be the opposite. For anyone not familiar, basically Haruhi would announce that next episode would be episode 2, and then Kyon would bounces in with "Wrong, it's episode 3". There's one instance where they hit the same episode number that he comments on too.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
:3: gifs! And ventriloquism!

One of the things I liked about this was how much more becomes obvious on later viewings. For instance, Kyon not being very subtle about getting Mikuru's chest in front of the camera.

Mikuru really has a bad time with the movie, doesn't she? Even her pal Tsuraya can't take her at all seriously.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Kyon facepalm count: 1

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

There was some sub group that translated the cat's lines perfectly, and is what made me initially fall in love with the show. Something like "Why don't you just use your magic? You could easily subjugate the boy. Based on my observations, you have the ability to do just th-"

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Man, I forgot about Koizumi breaking character just because he likes to debate out philosophical and story concepts.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

There was some sub group that translated the cat's lines perfectly, and is what made me initially fall in love with the show. Something like "Why don't you just use your magic? You could easily subjugate the boy. Based on my observations, you have the ability to do just th-"

Almost positive that's AFKs version.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Was there ever a consensus "best sub"?

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
So far, enjoying going back to this. But I forgot how Kanon-level derpy the characters can look sometimes. What a different time.

The film made me kinda wish there were more lovely student films that they made. But I guess that well would dry up pretty quick.

That string piece that played in Mikuru's introduction really took me back.

ED is still top-tier among anime EDs.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dezinus posted:

So far, enjoying going back to this. But I forgot how Kanon-level derpy the characters can look sometimes. What a different time.

The film made me kinda wish there were more lovely student films that they made. But I guess that well would dry up pretty quick.

That string piece that played in Mikuru's introduction really took me back.

ED is still top-tier among anime EDs.

what about the OP

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

TheKingofSprings posted:

what about the OP

There were some good parts, but not great

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Agronox posted:

Was there ever a consensus "best sub"?

Probably AFK's subs. I remember those being the ones to get too before S2 and the updated releases basically replacing them.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm watching this late but the narrator over the first episode is killing it and making me giggle like a little girl.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Holy poo poo the cat talked.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

That ED was awesome. I even turned up the volume a little bit.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Turning up the volume for the OP too

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

This show is awesome and I'm excited to watch more of it.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Right. Here are your beams.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Parallax posted:

I forgot all about Kyon's other friends
HeyHeyHey whatsgoingon... :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

we were supposed to watch 2 episodes last night? ive already failed at the simulwatch.

• Locked thread