Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Another loving Wind Waker thread, are you serious?

No, wait! Come back! I promise, this isn't the Wind Waker you think it is. If you saw the Ocarina of Time thread, the game has some new tricks up its sleeve, but you're in the right mindset. For those of you haven't, Chaos Mode essentially turns a bunch of different cheat codes on and off at random, ranging from "we can use the moonjump to bypass this stupid puzzle entirely" to "The game is literally unplayable right now".

So what's changed from Ocarina?

The author of the hack, for starters. This one comes from CosmoCortney, and she takes a different approach to how the hacks affect the game. Specifically, things seem to run on a global timer - in general, the game starts with warping characters models, then the colors start changing, and after that comes the physics fuckery. It also does a lot more model swaps than Ocarina did. Anyone who saw the first stream or two a few months back can attest to Outset Island's infestation of mailboxes and the green tentacles.

What's new
  • Color changes! And I don't mean like Link's pink tunic, I mean "the entire world is rapidly flashing colors and now the sky is yellow and the ocean is pink"
  • Model swaps! In Ocarina, the few swaps that did happen were mostly fixed. Dark Link replaced the Prelude of Light pedestal for Adult Link and there was that redead in Kokiri Forest, but Wind Waker plays it a lot more fast and loose. Every mailbox could become Valoo or Phantom Ganon, it's a surprise around every corner!
  • Nemesis mode! You ever wonder what Ganon does while Link is busy saving the world? It turns out that he's actually following you around and could attack you at any minute! Stay safe, Goku!
  • Actual physics! That bridge gently swaying in the breeze? You and I both know that thing's a deathtrap. A whole new world of getting screwed by physics awaits!
  • Layering fuckups! What do you mean the water and background shouldn't be drawn over the active playing area?
  • Projectile motion! Will your arrows instantly teleport to wherever you targeted? Or will they move at half-speed, almost certainly missing whatever you were trying to hit?
  • Sticky feet! The Iron Boots can get "stuck", making you unable to put them on. Or maybe more importantly, take them off.

What's back
  • Low gravity (including the inability to climb ledges)
  • Forced motion (both forwards and backwards)
  • Model deformities (including some new ones, like Eldritch Abomination Link)
  • Sound effects playing at entirely inappropriate times

What's out
  • The C-Right Roulette :(
  • Camera fuckery The Dutch Angle makes its glorious return!
  • It's no longer perpetually night
  • Rupees no longer randomly disappear
  • Our sword is no longer filled with bugs
  • Infinite fish bottles
  • Infinite two hearts
  • Giant chests that can't be opened Turns out giant stuff is still in! :v:
  • The shield glitch (which includes Link's third hand and dual wielding)

And maybe more! Who knows what else is lurking beneath the surface?

You might notice that most of the things that were removed are the ones that actively impacted your ability to play the game. As a consequence, Wind Waker is a lot more...player-friendly than Ocarina was. It certainly has its moments, don't get me wrong, but on the whole WW plays a lot closer to the base game than Ocarina ever did.

I don't believe you

Two things of note before we begin - First, this is a :siren: stream LP :siren: It is recorded in advance with little editing, so if those things offend your sensibilities, I suggest you look elsewhere.

Second, this game prominently features rapidly changing colors. If you are sensitive to this sort of thing, I highly suggest that you do not watch this LP. I do not have any idea when the colors will start, and at best can apply a warning to the recorded videos.

A Very Special Encore
Part 1 - Outset Island
Part 2 - Outset Island
Part 3 - Forsaken Fortress 1
Part 4 - Forsaken Fortress 1
Part 5 - Windfall Island

Double the Valoo, Double the Fun
Part 1 - Dragon Roost Island
Part 2 - Dragon Roost Cavern
Part 3 - Dragon Roost Cavern
Part 4 - Dragon Roost Cavern

A Leafy Adventure
Part 1 - Forest Haven
Part 2 - Forbidden Woods
Part 3 - Forbidden Woods
Part 4 - Greatfish Isle
Part 5 - Windfall Island

What Does God Need With a Tower?
Part 1 - Windfall Island
Part 2 - Triangle Islands
Part 3 - Tower of the Gods
Part 4 - Tower of the Gods
Part 5 - Tower of the Gods

Do You Remember Ocarina of Time?
Part 1 - Hyrule Castle
Part 2 - Dragon Roost Island
Part 3 - The Great Sea
Part 4 - The Great Sea

Spoilers, It's Phantom Ganon
Part 1 - Forsaken Fortress 2
Part 2 - Hyrule Castle
Part 3 - Dragon Roost Island
Part 4 - Ice Ring Isle

Get a Haircut, Ya drat Harpy
Part 1 - Earth Temple
Part 2 - Earth Temple
Part 3 - Earth Temple
Part 4 - The Great Sea
Part 5 - Wind Temple

The Emperor's New Shoes
Part 1 - Wind Temple
Part 2 - Wind Temple
Part 3 - Wind Temple

Goku's Bogus Adventure Under the Sea
Part 1 - Final Boss Prep
Part 2 - Ganon's Tower
Part 3 - Ganon's Tower
Part 4 - Puppet Ganon
Part 5 - Ganon/Credits

Artix fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Been eagerly awaiting this thread. So far, it's been a far better Chaos Mode than Ocarina was, at least in terms of the nonsense it can produce.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I am so glad that "not doing it" became "doing it, but later after all the other stuff you're doing is done" and then "later meaning a week or two later"

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So we'll be starting in about half an hour, tech tests will probably start at about quarter of. Stream will be at https://www.hitbox.tv/Artix

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
You will be doing the Korok Water quest, right? Because that one is very important to the Wind Waker mythos.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Link's walk cycle designed by Charles Schulz.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it's like watching a nightmare come to life

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

this is absolutely magical :allears:

Also for posterity:

Aishlinn fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 17, 2015

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo, the end of part 9 killed me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I am psyched this is a thing! Wind Waker is my favorite zelda. It makes me glad I'm not photosensitive because these colors are amazing.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Stream 3 Archive :siren:
Part 1 (Forest Haven)
Part 2 (Forbidden Woods)
Part 3 (Forbidden Woods)
Part 4 (Greatfish Isle)
Part 5 (Windfall Island)

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
For the love of god. use the jump slash. You can jump slash onto buttons and fall faster with it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
no, it's funnier this way

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Godna posted:

For the love of god. use the jump slash. You can jump slash onto buttons and fall faster with it.

I am a scarred seasoned veteran of Ocarina and if I learned anything there, it's that once you've lost control and you're in low-grav mode, the last thing you want to do is start ricocheting off of walls. At least hugging the wall keeps me where I am.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Also jump slashes don't really help you fall faster in low grav mode, if I remember right. You still descend really slowly but you have a non-zero chance of bouncing off a wall and none of us want that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
uh, i do!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I want to figure out how this hack was made do I can change some things about it and add to it.

That random epilepsy mode annoys the poo poo out of me.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Geop, at the Outback:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

accurate :(

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Geop, after the Outback: (probable)

Also featured: TieTuesday, surfin' the vapewaves. (5.5 MB)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Next week's stream will be on Sunday afternoon! I don't have an exact time yet, but it'll probably be between 1 and 3 PM EDT.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We will be starting very soon! Tech tests in 5 or so:

http://hitbox.tv/Artix

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

You must obtain that pig's power somehow:

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Pig of Time can be learned.

Pig of Time can be mastered.

Not as many good Gif-able moments this time, I felt. It was more just pure Chaos Mode entertainment instead. I am so glad I noticed that tiny little speck in the sky. It was perfect.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So this week's stream has some really bad color flashes. I'm still going through and putting warnings on the videos for when they start, but I have not done this batch yet so please watch with caution!

Stream 4 - What Does God Need With a Tower?

Part 1 (Windfall Island)
Part 2 (Triangle Islands)
Part 3 (Tower of the Gods)
Part 4 (Tower of the Gods)
Part 5 (Tower of the Gods)

Artix fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 26, 2015

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

For once it took me less than a week to make a gif of something I said I'd make!

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Faerie Fortune posted:

For once it took me less than a week to make a gif of something I said I'd make!

I feel like this should be partnered with the treebabies' song.

Also that site has a miniblin simulator for all your da-dank needs.

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 26, 2015

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Who else is hoping that the Randomly Spawn Ganon/Phantom Ganon will trigger during the final boss? DOUBLE GANON! :black101:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Faerie Fortune posted:

Moments before an hour or so of progress went down the shitter :allears:

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
You know, it literally is Goku vs. The Postal Service. I noticed this because whenever Ganon appears, the mailbox normally there is missing.

Special delivery!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Morroque posted:

You know, it literally is Goku vs. The Postal Service. I noticed this because whenever Ganon appears, the mailbox normally there is missing.

Special delivery!

That is correct. Phantom Ganon also replaces the mailbox, as does Valoo so it is very unlikely that we'll ever see any of them outside of the main islands.

Incidentally if anyone is waiting on those flashing color warnings, I have the first two sessions finished. Just make sure to turn on annotations.

poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Moments before an hour or so of progress went down the shitter :allears:

It was only like 15 minutes thankfully. Still a good lesson learned there though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Chaos mode is kind of interesting from a game design standpoint: the most interesting effects are changes in behavior more than anything else. Wonky character models are funny and all, but replacing mailboxes with pigs, meowing every time you jump, having arrows shoot at light speed, and randomly spawning Ganon and Phantom Ganon are totally amazing. IMO, those are superior to the random epilepsy effects and screwing with the SFX pitch.

Chaos mode is the Calvinball of video games.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 28, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I'm sure killing Ganon of Phantom Ganon would result in the game freezing but I'd still love to see what happens if you did. Also I'm curious if the phantom actually took damage when you shot it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Looking an awful lot like no stream this week, work schedule isn't playing nice. My best guess is that the next stream will be on Friday, Sep 4.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

I'm sure killing Ganon of Phantom Ganon would result in the game freezing but I'd still love to see what happens if you did. Also I'm curious if the phantom actually took damage when you shot it.

Didn't Artix actually fight Ganondorf on Windfall Island the first time he showed up? I remember something about the game freezing, but maybe I'm just crazy.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

KieranWalker posted:

Didn't Artix actually fight Ganondorf on Windfall Island the first time he showed up? I remember something about the game freezing, but maybe I'm just crazy.

He fought Ganondorf and got annihilated.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Ganondorf is invincible for all practical matters in our case, since you need a specific item to make him vulnerable. By the time we get that item, the game's pretty much over anyway.

Phantom Ganon could be theoretically killed, but his main method of attack isn't fully loaded in and our arsenal for finding other measures is still too small.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
We're going to do a short stream because the next chunk of the game is absurdly boring and we might as well just get it out of the way. Master Sword, Ballad of Gales, and just some general treasure charting.

Stream in ~10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Special Guest Appearance by the Ganondorf Stalking You Symphony Orchestra.

• Locked thread