Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Uthor posted:

Look where it got you: posting about comic books on a website called Something Awful. Fredric Wertham was right!

(Now I want that on a shirt a la Quentin Quire's Magneto Was right shirt.)

I'd wear the poo poo out of a "Wertham was right" shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

isn't that also a line in Flex Mentallo?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

CapnAndy posted:

Adults in the 1950s were kids before comic books existed, so they did not have a habit to carry forward into adulthood, and very few adults look at the hot new trend among 10 year olds and go "yeah, I want to buy into that poo poo".

And before anyone brings up the obvious brony counterpoint, there was no internet then either so the isolated deviants who might be inclined to do it couldn't get together and tell each other that they were normal and that was a totally okay thing to do.

Comic books got started in the mid-thirties. A kid who was ten when Action Comics #1 came out would be twenty right about the time the first superhero boom fizzled and crime/horror comics started coming into vogue.

To say nothing of servicemen who read comics during the war and after because they got them in care packages.

Adult comic book readers were a real thing in the early '50s. They were part of the reason companies like EC started doing material like they did.

(Of course, kids read the EC books, too, because the truth is people of every age like a cheap, gory thrill.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was there any crossover with those Men's Adventure magazines (aside from homoeroticism)? Adults were supposed to be the audience for those, right?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I don't know much about those, but yeah, there were probably some people reading both. There certainly were in the '70s.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have always been curious why EC never used the "magazine" loophole with the rest of their line like they did with Mad.

Also, how did DC end up with Mad but not the rest of EC?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I would loving love digital EC collections on Comixology.

Crime Does Not Pay is there, but apart from covers with dudes pushing ladies faces on lit stove tops, the previews don't look too nasty https://www.comixology.com/Crime-Do...0ZWRFZGl0aW9ucw

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Endless Mike posted:

I have always been curious why EC never used the "magazine" loophole with the rest of their line like they did with Mad.

Mad still made money, afaik, so they cancelled everything but mad and mad is all that was left when they got bought by the people who eventually bought DC which means that DC now sorta owns Mad.

I think that's the rough outline.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

I would loving love digital EC collections on Comixology.

Crime Does Not Pay is there, but apart from covers with dudes pushing ladies faces on lit stove tops, the previews don't look too nasty https://www.comixology.com/Crime-Do...0ZWRFZGl0aW9ucw

there are some Fantagraphics-published collections on there that are grouped by artist. i got the Graham Ingels one a while back when they were on sale, it gets pretty gruesome.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LordPants posted:

Mad still made money, afaik, so they cancelled everything but mad and mad is all that was left when they got bought by the people who eventually bought DC which means that DC now sorta owns Mad.

I think that's the rough outline.
Right... As far as I can tell from Wiki, Time Warner owns EC as a "legal entity holding copyrights" managed by DC.

I guess I just find it strange that various other companies have published EC reprints, but not DC or any other Time Warner company.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

According to the article I'm linking below, the "magazine" loophole was a myth and Mad was called a magazine as a means of keeping Kurtzman on the book when he'd been offered a job working for Pageant.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2006/04/06/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-45/

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

I always figured that there was no loophole that would make any store carry their horror books. Basically the stigma against the horror books was pretty toxic at that point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Claytor posted:

According to the article I'm linking below, the "magazine" loophole was a myth and Mad was called a magazine as a means of keeping Kurtzman on the book when he'd been offered a job working for Pageant.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2006/04/06/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-45/

Not exactly. It just says that's not why they made it a magazine. The loophole did exist, and Marvel pretty famously used it for stuff like Conan later on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

Not exactly. It just says that's not why they made it a magazine. The loophole did exist, and Marvel pretty famously used it for stuff like Conan later on.

Not to mention their own B&W horror comics.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I wish I wrote words better.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Who typically adds the onomatopoeia to a comic page?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kevin Smith.

:rimshot:

(I don't know.)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

CzarChasm posted:

Who typically adds the onomatopoeia to a comic page?

Sometimes artists draw the SFX directly, otherwise it's the letterer.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I believe it can be either the penciller or the letterer.

But you can go ask Clayton Cowles because he's doing an A/T thread right now!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's probably like 9:1 letterer:penciler split overall. It's really easy to tell who is doing a specific one because penciler ones will be integrated into the artwork while lettered ones will be over it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This came to mind. It's a speech bubble, not a sound effect, but I'm still gonna post it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Going back a bunch of pages...

Jack Gladney posted:

What's the latest on Superpro?

Robert Kirkman's Superhero Team-Up had an issue featuring a then-new Stilt Man. He mentioned that he was new in the game, but already beat up some clown named Superpro a few days earlier. So there you go. Superpro is sub-Stilt Man.

Also, Chris Sims and Chad Bowers did a comic a year or so ago called Down Set Fight, which was originally a failed pitch to bring back Superpro. It's about a disgraced football player who is constantly attacked by guys in sports mascot costumes and tries to get to the bottom of it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So I am a Marvel Registered Zombie and No-Prize No-minee (never "won" one though). Unfortunately, our show is doing our DC lightning rounds, and other than bat-villians, DC's rogues gallery is pretty slim pickings. Can you guys help me out with a funny thing to say or a story about non-Bats, Non-Luthor guys from this list. It seems like every DC villain is just "one of the most powerful sorcerers/conquerors in the universe" with little deviation.

DC sucks because of this by the way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Everblight posted:

So I am a Marvel Registered Zombie and No-Prize No-minee (never "won" one though). Unfortunately, our show is doing our DC lightning rounds, and other than bat-villians, DC's rogues gallery is pretty slim pickings. Can you guys help me out with a funny thing to say or a story about non-Bats, Non-Luthor guys from this list. It seems like every DC villain is just "one of the most powerful sorcerers/conquerors in the universe" with little deviation.

DC sucks because of this by the way.

The Flash Rogues

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

The Flash Rogues

What are some compelling, interesting stories, anectdotes or jokes about Mirror Master, Captain loving Cold and literal "Reverse Flash"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Everblight posted:

What are some compelling, interesting stories, anectdotes or jokes about Mirror Master, Captain loving Cold and literal "Reverse Flash"?

... There's quite a few? The Rogues actually were established as an interesting set of villains who united and tried very carefully to balance their crimes with avoiding attracting too much attention and had a semi-friendly semi-antagonistic relationship with the Flash. They are actually some incredibly dynamic characters when used well. Reverse Flash has a lot of interesting stories depending on the version you're talking about since he plays off The Flash. (The Return of Barry Allen is actually a great Reverse Flash story for example.)

Someone mentioning a good set of villains and you go "they have silly names! They must suck" kind makes you look like an rear end in a top hat by the way.

Also beyond that:

Captain Marvel has a fantastic set of villains. They're campier than Superman (though I'd argue not Batman) but Dr. Sivana, Black Adam, Mr. Mind and various others have all been used in extremely good stories.

Also the Suicide Squad, which is primarily made up of villains, has done a great job defining characters. Captain Boomerang (another Flash villain) for example.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 20, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Everblight posted:

Zoom - Flash 197-200
The Rogues - Final Crisis: Rogues’ Revenge
Mirror Master - Animal Man
Captain Cold - Flash 182

Also read Return of Barry Allen - Flash 74-79

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 20, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah the Flash definitely has one of the best rogues galleries in comics, probably #3 behind Batman and Spider-Man. silver age and modern age, both rule.

Rogue War is another awesome story that hasn't been mentioned.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah the flash actually has the most compelling villains in all comics by a wide margin. Not the best naming conventions nor best designs tho.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Someone mentioning a good set of villains and you go "they have silly names! They must suck" kind makes you look like an rear end in a top hat by the way.
I mean, all villains have dopey names, this isn't exclusive to DC. But I have literally no experience with District Comics stories other than the Batman tv shows (animated and Adam West) so I can't exactly talk with authority about them. Hoping to get some interesting tidbits without having to dig up back issues for a show I have to record like four hours from now

ImpAtom posted:

Also beyond that:

Captain Marvel has a fantastic set of villains. They're campier than Superman (though I'd argue not Batman) but Dr. Sivana, Black Adam, Mr. Mind and various others have all been used in extremely good stories.
I didn't make the list, you'd have to blame Sarx if your favorite didn't make the list. I just have to be funny and interesting about each villain for about four minutes.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 20, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Everblight posted:

I mean, all villains have dopey names, this isn't exclusive to DC. But I have literally no experience with District Comics stories other than the Batman tv shows (animated and Adam West) so I can't exactly talk with authority about them. Hoping to get some interesting tidbits without having to dig up comic torrents for a show I have to record like four hours from now

do you have Netflix/Amazon Prime? if so, look up the Justice League Unlimited episode "Flash and Substance." it'll give you a great 25 minute crash course in why the Flash's villains are dope.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

do you have Netflix/Amazon Prime? if so, look up the Justice League Unlimited episode "Flash and Substance." it'll give you a great 25 minute crash course in why the Flash's villains are dope.

Will do!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Also instead of torrenting them you could buy the couple issues they listed off of comixology.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

one of my favorite things about the Flash's rogues is that they're by and large less interested in killing him and more interested in just delaying him long enough that they can get away with whatever they're stealing, because killing him is way more trouble than it's worth. also they're unionized, which is just dope.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I always like when street level villains don't actually want the heroes dead because the villains know they'll need them on days when the sun decides to explode or something.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Starsnostars posted:

I always like when street level villains don't actually want the heroes dead because the villains know they'll need them on days when the sun decides to explode or something.

This is why I love the Shocker. He's beaten Spidey many times, but just wants to leave the scene with his comical bags with "$$$" on the side of them, no need to kill a dude who's just doing his job, just like Shocker.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly think villains are more interesting when they have motivations beyond "I wanna murder that guy."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Starsnostars posted:

Also, it's not wise to get superheroes and law enforcement that level of pissed. Poor, poor Inertia...well, not really, because gently caress Inertia, but you know. Villians have an easier time when they stick to leaving the hero unconsious. Bring murder into it, much less the murder of the friend of other superheroes, and you're going down hard.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
That's why Deadshot and Captain Cold are two of my all-time favorite villains (and characters in general). They're professionals with codes of honor. They don't want to take over the world or murder everyone in it. They're working stiffs who are good at what they do, with grudging respect for the heroes they are often forced into conflict with.

The Shade is another one of my favorite characters, even though he's much more of an antihero now than a villain. He's a murderous immortal rogue, but also a romantic, cultured man of the world who has fought on the side of the angels multiple times, from World War II to the present day. And whenever he returns to his beloved Opal City, he refuses to commit crimes there, and he'll fight like hell to defend it against threats. He was possessed by his arch-enemy, a man called Culp, when he committed some of his most unspeakable acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I really need to read Starman again. I really liked that issue set way in the future where he was telling kids about the history of Starman through time (I'm a sucker for those types of stories). Was that a DC One Million tie-in?

Has The Shade appeared anywhere else? He's so tied to the city in my mind.