Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Soulcleaver posted:

A handgun big enough for the colossal titan that uses normal titans instead of bullets.

A handgun big enough for the colossal titan that uses normal sized bullets and only one at a time. Just a gun as big as a house and it fires a little .22.

I just walked in I don't know what we're talking about but I misread what you said and now this image is in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
get eren some titan clothes. nobody needs to see his featureless privates.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Lamebot posted:

get eren some titan clothes. nobody needs to see his featureless privates.

Mikasa does

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Checking in just to see if the plot has progressed, at this point my prediction is that the Titans are prototypes for power ranger kaijews

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

MVP posted:

Checking in just to see if the plot has progressed, at this point my prediction is that the Titans are prototypes for power ranger kaijews

Progressed from where? I recently caught up again after like a year and a whole bunch of stuff had happened.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MVP posted:

Can't see them having much market for mohels.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Whoops, wrong button.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

Darth Walrus posted:

Can't see them having much market for mohels.

lol

It was brought up before that this manga is six years old? I thought it didn't want to be another shounen story but the gravy train rolled in at the right time I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's a monthly series though. If it was weekly it'd have been done years ago.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Just popping in to say I thought the live-action Attack on Titan movie was a huge pile of poo poo. Not a fan of the narrative/character changes, casting/acting sucked, and the inconsistent VFX looked cheap as hell. How long until Hollywood options an American remake and potentially fucks it up even more?

For real though, the movie was worse than Josh Trank's Fantastic Four imo. poo poo was godawful.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Captain Invictus posted:

It's a monthly series though. If it was weekly it'd have been done years ago.

It also would have likely been the original planned ending where everyone dies and would have already been over probably pre-coup

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

teagone posted:

Just popping in to say I thought the live-action Attack on Titan movie was a huge pile of poo poo. Not a fan of the narrative/character changes, casting/acting sucked, and the inconsistent VFX looked cheap as hell.

That's unfortunate, I mean I pretty much assumed all that was gonna be the case anyway, but still disappointing for what coulda been cheap, but fun entertainment.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

teagone posted:

Just popping in to say I thought the live-action Attack on Titan movie was a huge pile of poo poo. Not a fan of the narrative/character changes, casting/acting sucked, and the inconsistent VFX looked cheap as hell. How long until Hollywood options an American remake and potentially fucks it up even more?

For real though, the movie was worse than Josh Trank's Fantastic Four imo. poo poo was godawful.

Was there ever any doubt? I think the only possibility of a live action attack on titan that isn't completely worthless, is pretty much some kind of HBO tv series.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please don't let any western film-maker tackle AoT unless it's Michael Bay, because at least his horrible failure at it would be somewhat amusing

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Id support a quentin taratino aot

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sub Harrison posted:

Id support a quentin taratino aot

Think of all the feet he'd have the excuse to show with Titans :stonklol:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Baal posted:

Please don't let any western film-maker tackle AoT unless it's Michael Bay, because at least his horrible failure at it would be somewhat amusing

Guillermo del Toro :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe? I don't see a reality where the titans don't look like absolute garbage in live-action and someone doesn't know how to pull off 3D-Maneuver Gear scenes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Baal posted:

Maybe? I don't see a reality where the titans don't look like absolute garbage in live-action and someone doesn't know how to pull off 3D-Maneuver Gear scenes.

3DMG is at least within Hollywood's frame of reference, though - it's basically just Spider-Man's web-swinging.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Baal posted:

Just get Brock Lesnar bouncing around a miniature set and angrily making pterodactyl shrieks into the camera.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Darth Walrus posted:

3DMG is at least within Hollywood's frame of reference, though - it's basically just Spider-Man's web-swinging.
Actually gonna agree with this.

The first time I read Attack on Titan I thought to myself everybody was zipping around like Spider-man.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I imagine WETA or ILM would have a field day with the VFX for a Hollywood produced Attack on Titan. The maneuver gear scenes in the Japanese live-action venture sucked hard.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Say what you will about MICHAEL BAY or HOLLYWOOD violating the holy sanctity of animes but imo it's kind of a no-brainer for me to expect a better special effects action blockbuster from them than Japanese cinema :shrug:
Like if you told me Japan and the U.S. were simultaneously adapting live action Titan films I'd expect them to both suck but at least the American one would probably suck but have better special effects...maybe even more decent actors if luck provides just because of the larger available talent pool. I mean from what people were saying the Japanese release totally hosed with the setting, made everyone Japanese, and set it in like post-apoc Japan, that's basically the type of poo poo people whine about with Hollywood Anime adaptations

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 16, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kegslayer posted:

Guillermo del Toro :colbert:

I mean it's practically written for him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fister Roboto posted:

I mean it's practically written for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztwDfoZRUFA

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man now I'm sad he'd never get to make an AOT live-action movie. Because say what you will about Hellboy, I loved the poo poo out of the first one and the second one was passable, but those movies did monster fightin' real good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Gimme a Guillermo del Toro HBO Attack on Titan miniseries. 12 2-hour episodes. Would that work?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hey he's already mentioned and abandoned (well in the sense nothing ever happened) an HBO series adaptation of Monster, let's get our priorities straight here :argh:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
To be fair Monster is pretty easy to adapt to film/tv since it's a standard murder drama/thriller. Attack on Titan is a whole other story. And an Attack on Titan tv series would need an enormous budget or it'd look like poo poo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

RatHat posted:

Attack on Titan is a whole other story. And an Attack on Titan tv series would need an enormous budget or it'd look like poo poo.

Band of Brothers and The Pacific had a production budget of like $200 million I think. Both were a 10 episode miniseries, with each episode being around an hour or so. I think an Attack on Titan miniseries with that kind of budget and episode length could be good.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I could see a hollywood version working, it wouldn't require any effect tech that comes completely out of left field. It's also the very rare anime that has a mostly european/western cast, so you don't run into the usual whitewashing. Depending on how much they condense the story, you could go through the Trost fight or all the way to the fight against Annie in the city, though then you're really speeding through it.

I really wish Sasha had been able to eat some meat in the recent chapter, hopefully someone untied her and fed her some at some point. On the other hand, as soon as I saw the meat served I immediately thought that Sasha will have fulfilled her life's ambition and will be the next to die.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

Also just popping by to agree. Saw the movie a few days ago.

Apparently there is a "4DX" version (apparently "4D" isn't enough, there's the X-factor) where you get to ride around in chairs and look like this presumably:

Overall impression (no story spoilers, but if you want to go in without knowing anything about it, best not to read this):
The characters all are waaaay different than in the manga, with "Levi" being probably the biggest change and disappointment. It's a completely different character; I don't understand how you can change the name, appearance, plot, and literally everything about a person and still claim it's supposed to be them. What is even the point? Especially ironic since he's always voted the top most-liked character.

Eren, Armin, and Mikasa are also way different, and all disappointing. And even the Japanese reviews admit everyone (especially Eren and Armin) look the same. The characters with special traits, like Sasha and potatoes or Hanji and loving titans, are done waaaaay over the top. There's no scene where Sasha isn't enjoying a potato. Which sounds great, but apparently there is a such thing as too much of a good thing.

I thought the titans were pretty good. Definitely don't eat before you go to this movie. I think they went more for a horror approach than the action movie I had expected it to be.
Also, yes, the 3DMG was awful. Just terrible.

Changes to the plot (vague, but obviously spoilery): A surprising amount of the plot was changed along with the characters and their various backstories and even family, but I guess it's still vaguely AoT?
Minor plot spoilers: And I never would have guessed Eren would have ever made it to second base. That scene was really weird. If manga Mikasa ever found out...

I'll see the second part when it comes out in a few days.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

Changes to the plot (vague, but obviously spoilery): A surprising amount of the plot was changed along with the characters and their various backstories and even family, but I guess it's still vaguely AoT?

Um, would you mind telling us what changes there were? You just say "Changes to the plot: A lot of the plot was changed."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

Um, would you mind telling us what changes there were? You just say "Changes to the plot: A lot of the plot was changed."

Well one change from the ainme that bothered me was they made Mikasa kind of weak willed when we're introduced to her. She's a happy-go-lucky type and fun-loving; not some quiet, strong willed individual. Later on in the film she somehow transitions from this "damsel in distress" type character into a hard-as-gently caress titan-killing badass with no explanation whatsoever. It's the most jarring loving thing.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Uh, yeah most of those spoiler tags are pointless dude. Just tell us what they changed.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Shadow0 posted:

Minor plot spoilers: And I never would have guessed Eren would have ever made it to second base. That scene was really weird. If manga Mikasa ever found out...

So Eren feels up Mikasa?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, I mean this is why I roll my eyes at people railing at live action American adaptations of anime series, it's not like the Japanese often do a much better job and at least with Hollywood you'll get a bigger budget/better special effects and possibly a better cast. :shrug: Some of that stuff sounds really lame. At least Michael Bay might make it look cool. Here you have a Mikasa defanged in much the same way otakus might fear Hollywood handling her.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So Eren feels up Mikasa?

No, Eren almost gets raped by a single mother who asks him to be her daughter's father. Said attempted rape is interrupted by a titan attack.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

teagone posted:

No, Eren almost gets raped by a single mother who asks him to be her daughter's father. Said attempted rape is interrupted by a titan attack.

The gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

There Bias Two posted:

The gently caress?