Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Vidor is 97% white, which is lol for East Texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

blue squares posted:

Hey guys I know this happened a while back, but I just turned 26 and had to buy my own insurance. Were any reasonable arguments advanced by Perry and his team for rejecting the Medicaid expansion? Because it sucks.

Nope! And IIRC all of the silver level plans on the TX exchange are lovely high deductable plans which present major obstacles to getting proper care.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Nope! And IIRC all of the silver level plans on the TX exchange are lovely high deductable plans which present major obstacles to getting proper care.

I think it's specific to Harris County and Fort Bend but they have a pretty decent silver plan. Community Health Choice is the provider. I was surprised that it was reasonable with low deductibles and low out of pocket totals

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I got Sendero IdealCare and it has been a nightmare trying to get everything set up, esp. with prescriptions and optical. Ugh.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

:stare:

quote:

Don’t expect Texas Agriculture Commissioner Sid Miller to apologize over a social media post that appeared to call for the atomic bombing of “the Muslim world” – despite an outcry from critics.

Miller, who is currently on a trade mission to China, did not personally share a controversial photo that appeared on his campaign Facebook account and has since been removed, Todd Smith, the Republican's campaign spokesman, said Monday. The commissioner has no plans to figure out which of his staffers shared the posting, or to apologize, Smith said.

“We’re not going to apologize for the posts that show up on our Facebook page,” said Smith, estimating that 18 people have access to the campaign account. “I don’t know who did it, but I’m not going to start a witch hunt to find out who did.”

http://www.texastribune.org/2015/08/17/miller-consultant-no-apologies-anti-muslim-post/

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
At this rate Texas is gonna lose its "mock Florida" privileges.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its time we made peace with the Confederacy.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Klaus88 posted:

At this rate Texas is gonna lose its "mock Florida" privileges.

It was already pretty close to being lost. Have you heard of Louis Gohmert?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Spacebump posted:

It was already pretty close to being lost. Have you heard of Louis Gohmert?

I miss Steve Stockman's Twitter account.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm not going to find out who is responsible for my office's PR blunders.
-An adult, apparently

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

-An adult, apparently

His being an adult has nothing to do with it. He probably agrees with nuking "the Muslim world" and I bet he will find out which staffer posted that and pat them on the back, maybe even give them a raise.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The funniest part to me was that Miller's spokesman said he doesn't condone it, but did go out of his way to mention how many positive responses the post got.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

-An adult, apparently

Texas wishes to see an end to the Islamist menace. They'll throw a BBQ over the liberal media's sensitivity.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

His being an adult has nothing to do with it. He probably agrees with nuking "the Muslim world" and I bet he will find out which staffer posted that and pat them on the back, maybe even give them a raise.

Yes, that was the joke. He has to say he disapproves but of course he is not going to do anything because he secretly approves.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm putting this here because in Texas, football is political and the conviction and sentencing of this fine young man shows just how political football is in Texas. A much-talked-about football player at Baylor University—whom coaches “expect back” this fall—is currently on trial for the sexual assault of a fellow student. Questions now swirl around what the program knew and when they knew it.

This young man was convicted of Sexual Assault and, even though the jury found that he should serve 8 years in prison, the Judge gave him six months in jail and ten years probation. Everybody at Baylor, the player's roommate, the police, the local news media and now, even the Judge did everything they could to cover this up and make it go away. But the young man can play football so that makes it all OK.

Icing on the cake is that Ken Starr, yes that mother loving Ken Starr, is the president and chancellor of Baylor. If anyone can find a dick in a forest, it should be Ken Starr.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That sentence is not in itself a bad thing, in comparison to saner countries with more lenient sentencing, but the bias is very clear here.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

radical meme posted:

I'm putting this here because in Texas, football is political and the conviction and sentencing of this fine young man shows just how political football is in Texas. A much-talked-about football player at Baylor University—whom coaches “expect back” this fall—is currently on trial for the sexual assault of a fellow student. Questions now swirl around what the program knew and when they knew it.

This young man was convicted of Sexual Assault and, even though the jury found that he should serve 8 years in prison, the Judge gave him six months in jail and ten years probation. Everybody at Baylor, the player's roommate, the police, the local news media and now, even the Judge did everything they could to cover this up and make it go away. But the young man can play football so that makes it all OK.

Icing on the cake is that Ken Starr, yes that mother loving Ken Starr, is the president and chancellor of Baylor. If anyone can find a dick in a forest, it should be Ken Starr.

I think you need to understand that Baylor is aiming to be the Boston College or whatever(whenever?) of the 2016 season. The 6 month sentence is absolute horseshit and Texas justice continues to be warped overall. I think the press is missing a rabbit-hole of a story, especially since the guy was convicted, edit: but now the press is cautious after the Rolling Stone affair, perhaps it's just smoke afterall?

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 22, 2015

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

radical meme posted:

This young man was convicted of Sexual Assault and, even though the jury found that he should serve 8 years in prison, the Judge gave him six months in jail and ten years probation.

You've got your facts wrong here.

The judge didn't reduce the sentence from what the jury found for, he increased it. That's because the jury found for a sentence of 8 years of probation. The judge added 2 years of probation and added the 180 days in jail.

It's still a hosed up sentence, but it's the jury that hosed it up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/baylor-de-sam-ukwuachu-sentenced-to-180-days-in-jail--10-years-probation-222938095.html

quote:

After hearing hours of testimony and summations Friday, the jury took more than three hours to come back with a sentence of eight years of probation. However, the judge changed the sentence to 10 years probation, 180 days in county jail and 400 hours of community service.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Considering the laws on getting financial aid when you have drug offenses and whatnot, it's kind of surprising there aren't laws that prevent scholarships while under indictment for serious crimes like that. Being private, you probably couldn't cover Baylor, but since public money is involved you could certainly do Texas, A&M, and Tech and hope you could get the privates to follow suit.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

thefncrow posted:

You've got your facts wrong here.

The judge didn't reduce the sentence from what the jury found for, he increased it. That's because the jury found for a sentence of 8 years of probation. The judge added 2 years of probation and added the 180 days in jail.

It's still a hosed up sentence, but it's the jury that hosed it up.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/baylor-de-sam-ukwuachu-sentenced-to-180-days-in-jail--10-years-probation-222938095.html

OK. I was going by a news report on the radio because I couldn't find anything quickly in the news that talked about the sentence so I went with the radio report. My mistake. So a jury in Waco listened to evidence of the violent rape of a freshman virgin at a religious university and said, " oh but the poor boy can play football so lets give him probation". gently caress Waco and Baylor for ever!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

ReidRansom posted:

Considering the laws on getting financial aid when you have drug offenses and whatnot, it's kind of surprising there aren't laws that prevent scholarships while under indictment for serious crimes like that. Being private, you probably couldn't cover Baylor, but since public money is involved you could certainly do Texas, A&M, and Tech and hope you could get the privates to follow suit.

99% of the time this would just hammer poors and minorities for no reason.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I am desperately hoping Baylor gets shellacked by everyone and everything over this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReidRansom posted:

Good thing most sexual assault cases are handled in-house.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
At some point Texas is gonna be more trouble then it is worth for the US. :negative:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Vahakyla posted:

99% of the time this would just hammer poors and minorities for no reason.

Well heck, sounds like we have a winning argument for the legislature.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Paxton just isn't having a great time of this

quote:

After attorney Joe Kendall told state District Judge George Gallagher that he was stepping down from Paxton's defense team, Paxton told Gallagher he didn't currently have a lead defense lawyer.

“I don't know who exactly will be on the team,” Paxton said, noting he expected to hire new counsel within the next week.

Kendall, a former federal and state district judge, gave no further explanation for his departure beyond saying there were “issues” that made his continued involvement in the case difficult.

In a motion he had filed with the court that was released to the media after the hearing, Kendall wrote that “differences have arisen that adversely affect the attorney client relationship making continued representation untenable."

Pretty strange for a lead attorney to quit right before the first hearing and when there is a ticking clock to get the indictments thrown out.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Paxton just isn't having a great time of this

Pretty strange for a lead attorney to quit right before the first hearing and when there is a ticking clock to get the indictments thrown out.

Sounds like it's a case of when someone knows they've boarded the equivalent of the Hindenburg and would rather just not be involved at all. Also has there been any word from Houston if they've caught the person responsible for shooting that cop in the back?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jiro posted:

Also has there been any word from Houston if they've caught the person responsible for shooting that cop in the back?

http://abc13.com/news/suspect-charged-in-shooting-death-of-harris-co-deputy/961336/

Yeah, they got him. Good.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Jiro posted:

Sounds like it's a case of when someone knows they've boarded the equivalent of the Hindenburg and would rather just not be involved at all. Also has there been any word from Houston if they've caught the person responsible for shooting that cop in the back?

Kendall is a former federal judge and by that metric alone, an incredibly desirable attorney to have. I also imagine he's ungodly expensive.

On the flip side, it's very rare for a federal judge to step down and re-enter private practice. Usually they "retire" but then work until they die. I don't know why Kendall stepped down.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Remember when Blue Bell ice cream killed all those people?

They reopened services and Governor tweeted this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What are you implying. That Abbott lusts for ice cream death?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The flood of smug "Blue Bell killed people" posts are somehow even worse than the "OMG I'm so glad Blue Bell is back!" posts.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blue Bell makes good ice cream.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

e_angst posted:

The flood of smug "Blue Bell killed people" posts are somehow even worse than the "OMG I'm so glad Blue Bell is back!" posts.

It was not meant to be smug

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I see there's liberal outrage at milkshakes now, can't our governor celebrate the return of an ice cream product?

heb's is better

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Nonsense posted:

heb's is better

This is an absolute fact.

Also, Abbott lusts for injustice and death in all forms. It sustains him.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Nonsense posted:

I see there's liberal outrage at milkshakes now, can't our governor celebrate the return of an ice cream product?

heb's is better

Yeah, give me the HEB brand of 1905 Vanilla over Blue Bell any day.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

:agreed:

That people were lining up at stores early this morning to buy it is hilarious and sad.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

There pictures of him eating it?? Cause those are the money ones. Also Pecan Preline and Cream Blue Bell is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jiro posted:

There pictures of him eating it?? Cause those are the money ones. Also Pecan Preline and Cream Blue Bell is awesome.

I am sad that I cannot get Blue Bell Cookies and Cream in California. Do you know how many creameries screw up their cookies and cream with crunchy Hydrox instead of moist Oreos and Oreo substitutes? And don't get me started on using lovely knockoff vanilla as a base instead of a creamier base.

I did manage to finally learn of a suitable substitute recently, but for some reason they never carry Tillamook Cookies and Cream here either, only Vanilla. :argh:

TL;DR: I take my ice cream really seriously. :mad:

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 1, 2015