Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Just to share a failure story, I tried to upgrade over the weekend. Everything appeared to work correctly, but after rebooting, I was greeted by a black screen, and it wasn't the black lock screen issue. Safe mode with networking didn't actually give any networking, and the black screen persisted even if I used the embedded video on my motherboard. So I just fell back to windows 7 again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Esroc posted:

Just realized today that Microsoft seems to have finally perfected scaling to a TV screen. Even in 7 and 8 I used to always have to tinker to get things to look right on my TV but I plugged in today with 10 for the first time and everything is scaled perfect right out of the box.

I have a monitor with HDMI and I had to search the internet and then edit the registry to get rid of the default forced underscan :thumbsup:

hooah posted:

My desktop was hibernating fine, but today it's woken up twice for no apparent reason. I have WOL allowed. powercfg -lastwake doesn't provide any useful information (http://i.imgur.com/EkooCfl.png), and the only wake timer that shows up is some Windows Update reboot scheduled for tomorrow at 11:16 (wtf?). I know that I might be able to find some information in Event Viewer, but that thing's pretty obtuse to me; any tips for finding what information might be there, or any other routes I should investigate?

I'm getting this poo poo too - I don't mind the computer updating overnight, I wish it would go back to sleep when it's done though! Plus it signs into my account which is weird, it looks like a burglar's been in my stuff

You can go into event viewer and right click the System log category on the left, do filter and then click the type dropdown. Check Power-Troubleshooting and run that and it'll show you all the events. (I'm going by memory here so the names might be wrong but you'll get the idea)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

baka kaba posted:

You can go into event viewer and right click the System log category on the left, do filter and then click the type dropdown. Check Power-Troubleshooting and run that and it'll show you all the events. (I'm going by memory here so the names might be wrong but you'll get the idea)

Thanks. Unfortunately, the sources are all unknown. It looks like most of the time the sleep is for < ~10 minutes.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

My one and only annoyance with W10 is that the realtek audio manager seems to not work. It's the program that has the EQ settings and without it, my audio quality with my headphones is pretty lovely. I think I found the .exe in the realtek folder, but trying to launch it does nothing, and the icon is absent in the system tray.

Is there no other way to adjust the audio settings in 10? I've reinstalled what I believe is the latest driver package. I have an EQ extension in Chrome that works good, but I had been using Firefox exclusively for the last month and honestly like it better.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SouthLAnd posted:

My one and only annoyance with W10 is that the realtek audio manager seems to not work. It's the program that has the EQ settings and without it, my audio quality with my headphones is pretty lovely. I think I found the .exe in the realtek folder, but trying to launch it does nothing, and the icon is absent in the system tray.

Is there no other way to adjust the audio settings in 10? I've reinstalled what I believe is the latest driver package. I have an EQ extension in Chrome that works good, but I had been using Firefox exclusively for the last month and honestly like it better.

VIA HD Audio Deck doesn't work either. I've tried to reinstall drivers and it's crashed the OS multiple times unless Windows gets to use it's OWN drivers from WU.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

SouthLAnd posted:

Edit: Oh, you tried updating already.

I think Realtek's apps were working for me before I popped a different brand sound card in to fix weird audio lock-up issues I was having with the on-board sound.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

Ghostlight posted:

I honestly find it hard to believe not only that Windows 10 already requires 18 gigs of updates

Wait, what? Any source I could read about said 18GB of updates?

Tapedump fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 18, 2015

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No, those are just the numbers from the news article - an "up to $600" bill, based on a $50 plan for 3.5gig and 4c a meg thereafter.

SouthLAnd posted:

My Realtek HD Audio Manager worked straight out of the box - I don't even think I had it installed when I upgraded. It says it's version 6.0.1.7535 if that helps. I don't have a tray icon either, but it pops up whenever I plug something in and on a Start search.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Seems to be a variety bugs surrounding audio, 5.1 via optical cable still isn't working though they are aware of this and working on a fix.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007

hooah posted:

My desktop was hibernating fine, but today it's woken up twice for no apparent reason. I have WOL allowed. powercfg -lastwake doesn't provide any useful information (http://i.imgur.com/EkooCfl.png), and the only wake timer that shows up is some Windows Update reboot scheduled for tomorrow at 11:16 (wtf?). I know that I might be able to find some information in Event Viewer, but that thing's pretty obtuse to me; any tips for finding what information might be there, or any other routes I should investigate?
It likely is the scheduled task for reboots, because that woke me up at 3am the other day. In Event Viewer, you should be able to see the source by opening up Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > Power-Troubleshooter (I assume, I'm not at a Win 10 machine right now and I originally found the log entry via PowerShell). There will likely be an entry similar to the following:
code:
Message              : The system has returned from a low power state.

Sleep Time: 2015-08-15T22:05:01.580322600Z
                       Wake Time: 2015-08-16T02:29:30.093589500Z

Wake Source: Timer - Windows will execute 'NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot'
                       scheduled task that requested waking the computer.
Find that task in Task Scheduler, right click, Properties, Conditions, uncheck "Wake the computer to run this task".

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/08/18/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10525/

New Windows 10 build 10525 out for Insiders.

Edit: Heh, had to uninstall it, messed with my net connection. Looks like anything that tried to use IE's connection settings, like IE itself or iTunes, wouldn't connect. Firefox worked fine. Odd.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 18, 2015

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

With something that looks like zram.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
resetting a brand new Surface Pro 3 back to factory because 1 day out of the box and it will no longer update. jesus h christ.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So I figure this is a good place to ask. I get internet on my PC by tethering it to my tablet but my W10 machine yesterday just stopped recognising the connection saying "Ethernet 2 doesn't have a valid IP configuration". Everything else on the network (tablet itself, phone, Xbone) connects fine except my PC tether. I looked up a few guides but none of them managed to fix it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

njsykora posted:

So I figure this is a good place to ask. I get internet on my PC by tethering it to my tablet but my W10 machine yesterday just stopped recognising the connection saying "Ethernet 2 doesn't have a valid IP configuration". Everything else on the network (tablet itself, phone, Xbone) connects fine except my PC tether. I looked up a few guides but none of them managed to fix it.

You didn't happen to update to the latest insider build did you? Microsoft said tethering is broken in that build and they know about it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You didn't happen to update to the latest insider build did you? Microsoft said tethering is broken in that build and they know about it.

Not that I know of, it didn't stop working after an update or restart, it stopped mid session and booted me out of the game I was playing.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Updated to build 10525 and everything working just fine.

Edit I can't click on the X in firefox to close it anymore. Other apps work fine including the Tor browser.

Lowtechs fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 18, 2015

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
I updated to 10525 and everything is terrible!

On 525 Chrome was completely broken and I kinda use Chrome a lot so I reverted to 10240

But wait! now the apps are all broke and nothing will reinstall because the apps are all broke!

Powershell commands that would normally fix this all error out!

Cant go into safe mode because all of a sudden my keyboard no longer registers in the Advanced Startup stuff!

Go to reset PC? BSOD boot error until it reverts back to my broken-store-status!

Clean install time? I think its clean install time.

It had a good run, since May of last year (Upgraded from 8.1 to Build 10074 and beyond)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Arcon posted:

I updated to 10525 and everything is terrible!

On 525 Chrome was completely broken and I kinda use Chrome a lot so I reverted to 10240

But wait! now the apps are all broke and nothing will reinstall because the apps are all broke!

Powershell commands that would normally fix this all error out!

Cant go into safe mode because all of a sudden my keyboard no longer registers in the Advanced Startup stuff!

Go to reset PC? BSOD boot error until it reverts back to my broken-store-status!

Clean install time? I think its clean install time.

It had a good run, since May of last year (Upgraded from 8.1 to Build 10074 and beyond)

:catstare: I'm not as bad as that but I can't fix the Store and lots of the apps. :negative:

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer
Well the added a new commercial for the solitaire daily challenges.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Compressed ram ?! I'll just buy another 16GB thanks.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Doing a reset with a USB installer/ISO seems to have worked? It still kept weird registry fuckery I did in the paranoid tinfoil stage that I hoped it would undo as it broke something small but the Store got reinstalled correctly I guess.

In the meantime someone else had the Chrome issue and found a flag that fixes it so maybe Ill give 10525 another chance when it shows back up for me. Worst case I do a complete wipe which I was already planning on doing anyway :shrug:

Edit: If anyones curious, the small broken thing is I cant turn off Real-Time protection and its grayed out.

Arcon fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 19, 2015

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

Compressed ram ?! I'll just buy another 16GB thanks.

Being able to add RAM is so 20th century. Why not update your skills and join the modern era.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://accan.org.au/news-items/hot-issues/1089-free-microsoft-update-beware

More info from AU on restricted data and Windows 10. Like it or not, we'll probably see a lot of this.

At least it's not the rumors going around with 10 deleting BitTorrent or whatever.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

How are people out there surprised that an entirely new OS is 3GB?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

This is what I get when I try to repair the Store when I've rolled back from 10525. Store doesn't open

Very odd, the Store is now working again randomly, even though those command above didn't work.

As you were.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Last night Windows 10 notified me about an update, I told it to go ahead and restart, and everything went fine. I have it set to "Notify to schedule restart". This morning I woke up and my computer was at the login screen, apparently it rebooted again sometime in the middle of the night (I leave it on 24/7). When I logged in I got a notification telling me updates were installed. I thought Windows was supposed to always ask before restarting with this setting? This is the second time I've woken up to a login screen and "updates were installed" and it's really starting to weird me out.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
Windows 7 -> 10 -> 7 was the fastest and easiest os transition and detransition ever, so it's got that going for it. I'll upgrade back if non-security fix updates ever become 100% optional.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

d0s posted:

Last night Windows 10 notified me about an update, I told it to go ahead and restart, and everything went fine. I have it set to "Notify to schedule restart". This morning I woke up and my computer was at the login screen, apparently it rebooted again sometime in the middle of the night (I leave it on 24/7). When I logged in I got a notification telling me updates were installed. I thought Windows was supposed to always ask before restarting with this setting? This is the second time I've woken up to a login screen and "updates were installed" and it's really starting to weird me out.

It did this to me in earlier builds but stopped at some point. I think I just left windows update on defaults minus the P2P thing and haven't had a problem. Try that?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Warrior Princess posted:

Windows 7 -> 10 -> 7 was the fastest and easiest os transition and detransition ever, so it's got that going for it. I'll upgrade back if non-security fix updates ever become 100% optional.

See you in 2020.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Warrior Princess posted:

I also upgraded to Windows 7 from 10. Best decision I've made so far.

Thegrul
Oct 27, 2013

d0s posted:

Notify to schedule means just that. It just adds a notification to the automatic restart. Miss the notification and it just schedules the reboot as it otherwise would.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

This is what I get when I try to repair the Store when I've rolled back from 10525. Store doesn't open

Very odd, the Store is now working again randomly, even though those command above didn't work.

As you were.

I don't know where you copy-pasted these "commands" from, but they don't look right to me.

On second glance, I think you could try to run these commands from a regular elevated command prompt instead of from a PowerShell session.

edit: Hmm, looks like C:\Windows\WinStore only exists in Win8.1 and not in Win10. Nevermind.

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 19, 2015

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
If you're running Chrome x64 on 10525, you can restore Chrome by installing the x86 version instead. Here's the bug on the Chromium bug tracker, you may want to star it to keep abreast of the situation: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=522201

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone else having issues upgrading your "care" levels in order to accommodate installing a new Windows OS on an aging "gaming rig" you have lying around? I find mine are pretty low and I don't really feel like doing it.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
So I have a weird issue with windows 10, new windows from skype/other programs tend to not snap to the side of the screen right, they are osset by like 8-10 pixels or whatever. I am upgrading from 7. The full on half screen stuff works fine but smaller windows had the offset.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Anyone try to install this on a HP stream 11 with 32 gigs of space? if so how did it go?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

The Iron Rose posted:

Anyone try to install this on a HP stream 11 with 32 gigs of space? if so how did it go?

Actually, someone did do that in this thread before. I think they stated they had like 300mb of free space left after the update :v: they were able to get it above 10GB after they deleted the old windows install though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Anyone having problems since the latest update? Windows updated during the night yesterday and my computer's been really sluggish all day. Malwarebytes and MSI couldn't find anything out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I found a 3rd party solution to my missing Realtek audio controls which I never could get working. Equalizer APO combined with the Peace! GUI. Works wonders for tweaking audio. Makes watching streaming videos/music in Firefox sound good again.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Aug 20, 2015