Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OMP-I is crashing when I'm starting a new world, do I need to increase permgen still in the technic launcher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

President Ark posted:

Take a crafting bench. Put it by itself in your crafting grid to make a crafting station. Put the crafting station next to a chest. :eng101:

Holy poo poo.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is there a total range limit on vis relays? I know a single relay can go eight blocks, but can I (say) get CV from an energized node at y=160 down to my arcane bore at y=12, or am I gonna have to go to the fuss and bother of finding more nodes and making more stabilizers and transducers?

Ideally the answer will be no, and the other answer will be "also there is a way to transport CV all around the world that doesn't require vis relays" because that would be awesome :v:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

Is there a total range limit on vis relays? I know a single relay can go eight blocks, but can I (say) get CV from an energized node at y=160 down to my arcane bore at y=12, or am I gonna have to go to the fuss and bother of finding more nodes and making more stabilizers and transducers?

I've run CV hundreds of blocks vertically, you'll be fine there. I'm not positive what happens if you try to run vis relays so far horizontally that the energized node ends up in an unloaded chunk, but if you're just going to bore out the underground you're not likely to run into that problem for real-time weeks.

Edit: Blood Magic has a ritual that can transport large areas of blocks, so there's sort of a way to do that by using those to warp your whole energized node to a different location. If you mean is there a wireless way to teleport CV, not that I know of.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 18, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I can't run minecraft on my second monitor because it locks my mouse in either the look down, or look up position. Apparently this is due to Nvidia cards and something called "Synergy." No-way to know how to disable that, and it blows because I want to play blightfall in 1080p goodness.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

I've run CV hundreds of blocks vertically, you'll be fine there. I'm not positive what happens if you try to run vis relays so far horizontally that the energized node ends up in an unloaded chunk, but if you're just going to bore out the underground you're not likely to run into that problem for real-time weeks.

Edit: Blood Magic has a ritual that can transport large areas of blocks, so there's sort of a way to do that by using those to warp your whole energized node to a different location. If you mean is there a wireless way to teleport CV, not that I know of.

Cool, thanks. I think tonight's goal is to make an arcane bore, then, if only so I don't have to go digging myself for more loving TC shards :argh:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Cool, thanks. I think tonight's goal is to make an arcane bore, then, if only so I don't have to go digging myself for more loving TC shards :argh:

Do you have an enchanted pick? TC shards stop being a concern when infused blocks drop like 8 shards per block

Though if you don't enjoy mining that's a moot point :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Magres posted:

Do you have an enchanted pick? TC shards stop being a concern when infused blocks drop like 8 shards per block

Though if you don't enjoy mining that's a moot point :shrug:

Yeah it's mining itself that becomes distressingly boring quick. Ironic in a game called Minecraft I suppose but there you go.

That said my excavation focus has Treasure II on it so if I just knuckle the hell down and go for a dig for a half hour I'll probably find all I need. Probably.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What metal mines extreme ore?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Orichalcum, Manyullyn, and Pokefennium all do

I'd go for Orichalcum, personally, but that's partly because I've already found and bookmarked some

E: Just got my first Totem of the Dawn and daaaammmnnnnnn they clean a big area, by my estimate it's a 48x48 area (3 chunks x 3 chunks, centered on the totem chunk, I think) where Ethereal Blooms clean something like a 7 block radius. If you can make a couple dozen of these you can clean the world out in no time. I'm gonna work towards totem spam with one Dawn Machine for cleaning up tainted nodes. By my reckoning, with a Euclidaisy covering Auram, you can make all the essentia needed into renewable resources. Hardest part is gonna be the fact that each totem takes 7 ordo shards and an ignis shard

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 18, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Reason posted:

What metal mines extreme ore?

Or you could use a focus of equal trade.

FYI, you can get 4 primal aspects from smelting enchanted fabric, another 2 from feathers, and 1 from dirt. If you have a farm you probably have alot of sheep and chickens. You can even use the non-white sheep because you can pulverize 1 wool into 4 string.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

A couple blightfall questions that are frustrating me.

1) where does one get a botania book?

2) what do I do with all these language fragments?

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

Alkydere posted:

A couple blightfall questions that are frustrating me.

These are actually related! There's a quest in "The Xenobiologist" that will let you submit the language fragments. Once you've submitted enough you can get a quest to obtain a translation device. That device can be crafted with an untranslated book (the green one, can be found in ruins) to get the Botania book.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Alkydere posted:

Throw them in a crafting grid and they'll turn pink. I can't remember what they're called in that form, but the xenobiologist wants them.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

SugarAddict posted:

Or you could use a focus of equal trade.

FYI, you can get 4 primal aspects from smelting enchanted fabric, another 2 from feathers, and 1 from dirt. If you have a farm you probably have alot of sheep and chickens. You can even use the non-white sheep because you can pulverize 1 wool into 4 string.

Equal trade works, but I prefer excavation, because equal trade only affects blocks on the surface, so if the mineral pocket you're extracting goes into the wall any distance, you'll have to mine through the cobblestone or whatever you swapped the surface layer of the ore for in order to get it. You can just beam it at ores on the ceiling too. Mines anything and can be enchanted with Treasure to get bonus drops from coal / diamonds / shards / redstone / etc.

Alkydere posted:

Botania books are in botanical locations around the world. The easiest one I know is to go to the secret hideaway behind the waterfall under the lake scouting location. Swim down the waterfall a bit and look for the lever in the little hollow behind it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Robhol posted:

These are actually related! There's a quest in "The Xenobiologist" that will let you submit the language fragments. Once you've submitted enough you can get a quest to obtain a translation device. That device can be crafted with an untranslated book (the green one, can be found in ruins) to get the Botania book.

Oh, well I haven't unlocked that quest in the xenobiologist. Do I have to find all the fossils first?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Alkydere posted:

Oh, well I haven't unlocked that quest in the xenobiologist. Do I have to find all the fossils first?

No -- I think you just need to find language samples.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oh hey you can make Nether, Sin, and Ender shards in this. I was wondering how you were supposed to do those recipes!

Bleh is there any way to make Botania runes less of a pain? Or should I just pump out like 30 of each kind of charm?

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 18, 2015

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

30.5 Days posted:

So I'm not saying like, don't mess with the food values- if you hate it, then you hate it, just change it. And we're reducing the cap to 400 in a release this week since this is a bit more than what was intended. We're also including Cooking for Blockheads to remove some of the chore of manually crafting everything.

Cooking for Blockheads posted:

This mod adds a cooking book to Minecraft that will only show recipes that you can currently make with the things you carry in your inventory. It also adds an optional upgraded version of the book that can craft the foods right away by simply clicking on the recipes. There's also two new blocks, the Cooking Table, which is the book in
block-form and uses adjacent inventories, and the Cooking Oven, which
can smelt food items only and interacts with the Cooking Table.

THANK gently caress. You also going to fix the vegemite recipe so it allows Natura barley instead of requiring Pam's? As to the hunger length, I think my biggest problem is how incredibly opaque and non-intuitive it is. There's no way short of manually counting in a food journal how far along you are to see how much more variety you need, and even then you have to deal with an already-extant food history so sometimes you find new sources of food that are already partially depleted. It's almost great, but the last couple of flaws are incredibly irritating.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I actually enjoy the food minigame. Makes exploring and building a varied farm important, and there's a lot of reward when you find some new staple. But it definitely has problems, the crafting is such a pain I added XACT specifically to help with that (sounds like cooking for blockheads will be even better) and little things like milk being a HUGE PAIN to get before an automated farm. Should be able to go directly into bottles or something. Also water bottles don't stack and that is beyond annoying. Something should probably be done about that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm actually not sure what to do next in my Blightfall world. I haven't exactly advanced far, mind--I've got a reasonably stable Infusion altar and a basic thaumic energistics system (no essentia interface or provider yet), but I've run out of goals that aren't going to involve a hell of a lot of grinding. :(

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Go clean out and claim the flying city for your own! The starter 10-15 Ethereal Blooms, plus the 10 from the Paranormalist is definitely enough together to clean the city out. Just be ready to fight a metric ton of ranged mobs that hit hard. Or make some Angel Blocks and make a ring of glass around it and Arcane Bore that nightmare nest out of existence.

Alternately, if you tech to Awakened Ichorium gear and make an Awakened Ichorium pickaxe, you can head to the Bedrock Dimension, which trivializes any and all concerns for materials you can find in the ground and you're done grinding, forever, after like an hour down there.

Turtlicious posted:

Is there no copper in Beta?

There is, tech metals just suck to find. Look for Promethium instead, and once you find it, head to the swamp to look for Oureclase. Then head to the Mountains for Manganese for Steel (or find some other diamond grade mining tool). Find a vein, mine a couple, then head back to the surface and make a Pickaxe of the Core with Thaumcraft. The rightclick on it shows where any nearby tech metals are.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 18, 2015

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there no copper in Beta?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I'm actually not sure what to do next in my Blightfall world. I haven't exactly advanced far, mind--I've got a reasonably stable Infusion altar and a basic thaumic energistics system (no essentia interface or provider yet), but I've run out of goals that aren't going to involve a hell of a lot of grinding. :(

I'm building a redwood sized silverwood tree to act as my base. It has twice the ground blueprint of a regular redwood and it's going to take me ages. But it'll be super cool when it's done. You should just set yourself a goal for some megaproject and get started.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

Have you done all the scouting missions? Research a flying ship and unleash your inner Phileas Fogg. This also doubles with opening up Botania, which lets you get all sorts of stuff and isn't very grindy.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask in, I couldn't find a general MC thread.

I haven't played Minecraft since probably 1.1

I wanted to pick it back up again for a bit to play it with a friend who has never checked it out before but I have two questions.

1) what's a great starter seed just as far as diversity of biomes in close proximity?

2) what are the best low-cost server host options? what should I be looking for? I was looking at these guys for their $1.50/month option but couldn't tell if they're missing something critical? https://www.minespan.com/

We will likely be playing Vanilla for a good long while and I don't anticipate ever having more than 4-5 people online at once but I suppose we can always upgrade or migrate if it gets to that point.

Thanks for any help.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
e: nm

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Magres posted:

Orichalcum, Manyullyn, and Pokefennium all do

I'd go for Orichalcum, personally, but that's partly because I've already found and bookmarked some

E: Just got my first Totem of the Dawn and daaaammmnnnnnn they clean a big area, by my estimate it's a 48x48 area (3 chunks x 3 chunks, centered on the totem chunk, I think) where Ethereal Blooms clean something like a 7 block radius. If you can make a couple dozen of these you can clean the world out in no time. I'm gonna work towards totem spam with one Dawn Machine for cleaning up tainted nodes. By my reckoning, with a Euclidaisy covering Auram, you can make all the essentia needed into renewable resources. Hardest part is gonna be the fact that each totem takes 7 ordo shards and an ignis shard

Be advised the totems of dawn break on chunk reload & have to be broken/replaced currently. We'll be putting out a fix to this soon. Dawn Machines do not have this issue.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Be advised the totems of dawn break on chunk reload & have to be broken/replaced currently. We'll be putting out a fix to this soon. Dawn Machines do not have this issue.

drat that stinks, guess I'll be waiting a bit on Dawn totems. Do you have a fix planned for the materials books resetting randomly?

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Turtlicious posted:

OMP-I is crashing when I'm starting a new world, do I need to increase permgen still in the technic launcher?

I'm also having this issue, in case it's getting lost in the blightfall shuffle.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

drat that stinks, guess I'll be waiting a bit on Dawn totems. Do you have a fix planned for the materials books resetting randomly?

Yeah, we've got a fix for that.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Edminster posted:

THANK gently caress. You also going to fix the vegemite recipe so it allows Natura barley instead of requiring Pam's? As to the hunger length, I think my biggest problem is how incredibly opaque and non-intuitive it is. There's no way short of manually counting in a food journal how far along you are to see how much more variety you need, and even then you have to deal with an already-extant food history so sometimes you find new sources of food that are already partially depleted. It's almost great, but the last couple of flaws are incredibly irritating.

Why is this not in the modpack especial with how big food and cooking is?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Thanks for the heads up! I'll make sure to use my pair of totems in areas where I'm planning to stick around and do stuff. Time to go clean up Eerie Island and start on Blood Magic!

Out of curiosity (and to be sure) did you guys catch the thing with native ore clusters of tin and copper smelting in vanilla furnaces? They only produce 1 ore atm - works fine with every other kind of smelting so I assume it's a bug and not a feature.

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 19, 2015

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Non blightfall modding question: If the server and client config files differ, which does the game use? I want to change some world generation settings on my server and don't want to push an update just for that.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Edminster posted:

I want this mod and I don't even play packs that have the hunger journal thing. This would be incentive to design a remotely decent kitchen!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Cantorsdust posted:

Non blightfall modding question: If the server and client config files differ, which does the game use? I want to change some world generation settings on my server and don't want to push an update just for that.

Server in most cases. There can be issues when client and server configs don't match, but changing world gen stuff on the server only will be just fine.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
BTW the cooking for blockheads guy is writing a multiblock kitchen thingy as someone suggested a number of posts back.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Shukaro posted:

BTW the cooking for blockheads guy is writing a multiblock kitchen thingy as someone suggested a number of posts back.

:flashfap:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Well shoot I think I'll have to re-enable SpiceOfLife, because the thing that irritated me by far the most was digging through NEI for recipes. I have a memory like a sieve for stuff like that and will literally forgot, four seconds after I looked up the recipe, what the hell I needed to make the thing I wanted (hilariously, this is also why I can never make myself do AE2 - I can't remember the recipes well enough to do the thing that would solve my problems with remembering recipes :downs:). Cooking different kinds of food is really cool, especially when it nets you a kind of food that restores like six blocks of hunger and maxes your saturation!

E: Oh yeah someone asked if there was still any interest in a more in-depth AE2 post, and I'd love to read one. Not sure I'll make it happen in Blightfall because resources are scarce enough that I'm not having a horrible time just storing stuff in double chests and keeping it organized, but I'd kill to have a good AE2 post the next time I play like Tekkit or something where I'll need the organizational help.

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009
Anyone know how to repair Artifacts... artifacts? I got an awesome helmet from a chest (night vision, water breathing, thorns, unbreaking II and some other stuff) and in spite of unbreaking II it is wearing down. I've tried putting it on an anvil with a steam hammer working on it, and it bangs away but the durability doesn't seem to rise. Do I just need to let it pound away for longer, or are these things special snowflakes that require their own specific repair procedure (in spite of fitting into anvils)?