Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Primaries are good, Voting for the Executive and Legislative branches is good, First past the post is bad, Electoral colleges are bad. That is my opinion of the US voting system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
I am ok :ohdear: I'm sorry I flaked out so hard in Opop's game - I'm very consciously aware of how much I don't like it when other people join games and then don't post. Mafia is really fun for me when I'm able to immerse myself in a game, but when real life throws stressful stuff at me trying to keep up on a Mafia game on top of all of it becomes a bit too much.

Hopefully I'll be back next week with a good story to tell!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Murmur Twin posted:

I am ok :ohdear: I'm sorry I flaked out so hard in Opop's game - I'm very consciously aware of how much I don't like it when other people join games and then don't post. Mafia is really fun for me when I'm able to immerse myself in a game, but when real life throws stressful stuff at me trying to keep up on a Mafia game on top of all of it becomes a bit too much.

Hopefully I'll be back next week with a good story to tell!

I'm just glad you're okay! If I had checked the time stamps I probably wouldn'tve posted about it.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Next time don't check time stamps and get the mod to modkill on false pretenses.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man would be really nice for people to sign up for a game or 2

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm signed up to Amoeba's game, I think we need a couple more

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Look Under The Rock posted:

Also Benedict Cumberbatch looks like a lizard person

My friend dropped the best line about Benedict Cumberbatch last week with an angry "HIS LIPS ARE THE SAME COLOR AS THE REST OF HIS FACE"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BottleKnight posted:

I hope Murmur Twin is okay. :ohdear:

I spoke to MT last night! She's spending this week dressing up as a clown to break in to a festival

e: Oh wait she posted nevermind

Rarity fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 19, 2015

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
mafia

is stupid.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Somberbrero posted:

mafia

is stupid.

You're stupid

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Somberbrero posted:

mafia

is stupid.
I agree

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

mafia

is stupid.

Rarity posted:

You're stupid

Both are true.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Somberbrero posted:

mafia

is stupid.

And yet you still post in this thread.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

And yet you still post in this thread.

Says who

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Amoeba102 posted:

US Primaries aren't for another 6 months? I guess that explains voter fatigue when the election finally rolls around.

I want to get off Mr. Trump's Wild Ride.

Amoeba102 posted:

Primaries are good, Voting for the Executive and Legislative branches is good, First past the post is bad, Electoral colleges are bad. That is my opinion of the US voting system.

I don't know if I agree that the American primary system is good. It puts control of the nominating power in the hands of the media, who have a vested interest in making interesting stories over good governance. (As a case in point, you can look at Hillary Clinton. She will almost undoubtedly be the nominee but her inevitability doesn't make for an interesting story. Thus, most reporting in the Democratic Primary focuses on Bernie Sanders catching up and the hypothetical candidacy of Biden.) The effect is often demoralizing and increases cynicism for both the public and candidates. Plus, there's only a very narrow and unrepresentative cross-section of the public actually interested in the election during the primary stage, which can further skew results.

First past the post isn't necessarily a bad system. It is very useful for states that are struggling to build new institutions and need to unify voters into manageable factions. When you have a lot of disparate groups, or are a newly democratizing state, FPTP is one of the best methods you can use.

For a country like the US, though, I do sometimes wonder what things would be like with proportional representation. I think increasing the size of Congress and reforming the electoral college is a bigger priority.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 19, 2015

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Preferential voting is pretty great, you can support someone without worrying about throwing your vote away.

And Primaries are good in so far as you kind of get to choose the leader. The choice of Party leaders here is all up to the Party.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

What games are still recruiting? Sell me on your thing.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Allen's game still needs people

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

BottleKnight posted:

It's a self-deprecating joke, but yeah. That's how my generation dates. At least, currently.

I'm sure it's just a college thing but it's really really lovely in the meantime.

Its not. Every dating profile in the world is basically

quote:

Something something something something something something Netflix something something Coffee/Wine

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

fiery_valkyrie posted:

For a while. Then everyone gets older and has kids and ex-spouses and it's just so much effort.

Obviously the answer is to never age.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Amoeba102 posted:

Preferential voting is pretty great, you can support someone without worrying about throwing your vote away.

And Primaries are good in so far as you kind of get to choose the leader. The choice of Party leaders here is all up to the Party.

And yet you still wound up with Abbott

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Man the internet sucks. I want to go back to before the Internet. That would be so loving awesome.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

Man the internet sucks. I want to go back to before the Internet. That would be so loving awesome.

that sounds awful

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Kumbamontu posted:

that sounds awful

Oh because having a person just google your name and deny your application to an apartment and keep your application fee is so much better.

The apartment I talked about earlier was a scammer and all the other apartments I applied for took my application fee and denied my application within an hour of me paying 50 dollars for the priveledge of applying to their busted rear end loving lovely rear end apartment.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Magnus Gallant posted:

Oh because having a person just google your name and deny your application to an apartment and keep your application fee is so much better.

The apartment I talked about earlier was a scammer and all the other apartments I applied for took my application fee and denied my application within an hour of me paying 50 dollars for the priveledge of applying to their busted rear end loving lovely rear end apartment.

That happened before the internet. Except it was based on how you looked and if you had bad credit.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
That isn't the internet's fault.

e;f,b

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kumbamontu posted:

that sounds awful

No no it was actually nice. Especially in the days before cable TV became widespread.

Kids would go outside during twilight and play silly games of tag. Or catch fireflies. There was no "I've gotta get home cause I've got a raid scheduled" and instead it was "I don't want to go home cause it's boring there"

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm also a huge fan of "hanging out" with people when that all that really means is being in the same room as a couple other people while they're on their phone.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

CapitalistPig posted:

That happened before the internet. Except it was based on how you looked and if you had bad credit.

Yeah except I have great credit and I am handsome so. . .

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Magnus Gallant posted:

I'm also a huge fan of "hanging out" with people when that all that really means is being in the same room as a couple other people while they're on their phone.

Man you hang out with the wrong people i guess.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
All of these things are symptoms of people being lovely and not the internet being lovely

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Kumbamontu posted:

e;f,b

The Internet makes it like a billion times easier and in general technology and the Internet are causing a lack of empathy between human beings.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Kumbamontu posted:

All of these things are symptoms of people being lovely and not the internet being lovely

People inherently want to be lovely if they can get away with it and the Internet ONLY facilitates that.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kumbamontu posted:

e;f,b

No it's Al Gores fault for inventing the Internet.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

People were able to look up your criminal record before the internet, I'm sure.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

People were able to look up your criminal record before the internet, I'm sure.

Hah before computers I highly doubt it was easy.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I've had MMMBop stuck in my head for a solid hour and am trying to drown it out with Warren Zevon and it's not working

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You have to pay to apply to move into an apartment? That sounds scummy

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Look Under The Rock posted:

I've had MMMBop stuck in my head for a solid hour and am trying to drown it out with Warren Zevon and it's not working

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOO Werewolves of London.