Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Thanks to Suspicious Dish for the sweet banner, bomb icon, and character heads

What is Bomberman?
Bomberman is one of the oldest and longest-lasting gaming franchises out there, from its birth in 1983 to quietly dying under Konami in 2014. It started with a simple action puzzler by Hudson Soft wherein you play as a cute little robot guy, blow up bricks and balloon people, and make your way through nondescript grid-based worlds. As technology advanced, so too did the franchise, and Bomberman stretched his legs into many other fields: more widespread 3D action puzzlers, adventure RPGs, platformers, racing, minigame party games, and everything else Mario beat him to. The franchise is also synonymous with frenetic multiplayer, and frankly it seemed you could release any old poo poo as long as an old-school multiplayer mode is intact. But at his core (and core complacent fanbase), Bomberman was always that grid-based action hero.

So what's the point of the megathread?
Up until 2011, when I did my Bomberman Hero Let's Play, only two Bomberman LPs had ever been made on SA, both of which have long since been lost to the forum archives and the loss of videos on Daily Motion, Viddler, Blip, etc. I followed Hero with Bomberman Generation and Bomberman Jetters, but that still leaves dozens of Bomberman games un-LP'd. I give those previous three games a lot of poo poo, but I've yet to even touch the really good ones. This megathread is to kill those two birds with one stone.

What happened to the last megathread?
To those unaware, I originally tried this megathread at the end of 2012. Some people got into the idea, a few contributed LPs of their own, and I finished three LPs myself. However interest dried up quickly between possible LPers and my own teammates, and a year after I finished Super Bomberman I finally laid the megathread to rest.

I had no interest in doing any more Bomberman, but I left the possibility of doing more as a milestone goal for my personal Patreon. Welp, my patrons certainly wanted to see more Bomberman! I'll be playing Bomberman 64, Saturn Bomberman, Bomberman Fantasy Race, and the rest of the Super Bomberman series as thanks to them. To prevent the same thing from happening to this megathread as the last, I will be focusing it specifically on my seven LPs listed above, with other games possible for down the line either as full LPs or streams.

Will it just be your LPs?
The majority of the LPs will probably be mine, but additional LPers are welcome to tackle games I don't have, games they think they might be better at it than I would, or games I refuse to play (Second Attack). The current list of games for the megathread is further below. You're also welcome to show additional content or what-have-you for an already-LP'd game, but I'd prefer sticking to playing the ones that haven't been played yet. That's the point of this megathread, mind.

Since I'm running the thread, PM me any requests to contribute so that we can discuss how everything will go down/what it is you want to do exactly, and so that I can add your work to the respective posts.
Co-commentary is another matter. My LPs will have my own selection of guests; goons are welcome to leave their Skype if they wish to guest commentate, but I will not guarantee you a spot in a video. I like to work quickly, so I grab people to commentate based on who's online at the time and who I know would commentate best. If you wish to guest on an LP run by someone else, you should of course discuss it with them.

What will be the format for these LPs?
Since the length, difficulty, and gameplay change with each game (sometimes), the first video of each LP will usually explain how it will be laid out. If need be, the respective video's post will explain it.

For example - The very first Bomberman is basically one level repeated 50x with different enemies. As such I trim a lot of the fat down to the first many levels, then just the highlights, and finally the last level and ending.
On the other hand - Super Bomberman has different worlds with multiple levels, all of which are fairly short, so each world gets its own 5-15 minute video.

Will you be going in chronological order?
Aside from Super Bomberman 2-5, no, but the games I will be playing do not seem to follow a tight chronology or canon anyway. Bomberman's stories in-game and overall are kept loose from each other.

Will you be doing every Bomberman game?
Many, but not all. I'd like the grand majority to ultimately have completed LPs of their own, but Bomberman has a lot of games, many of which can't be easily found anymore, most of which are virtually identical from each other, and several of which nobody wants to LP.

Will there be multiplayer/tournaments?
Many of the games can't have multiplayer/tournaments among goons, due to there not being any simple ways of connecting players (though videos may show the multiplayer for the sake of completion). If anyone knows how to set something up for multiplayer/tournament's sake, feel free to share and we'll see if we can work something out.

• Spoilers aren't a problem. Just remember to use the [spoiler] tags.
  • DO NOT POST LINKS TO DOWNLOAD COMMERCIALLY-AVAILABLE GAMES OR SOUNDTRACKS. You may post links to proven abandonware (E.G. Atomic Bomberman) or to an official stream of the music (E.G. composer June Chikuma's official SoundCloud), but no ROMs or ripped soundtracks if the game/disc can still be purchased. The point: we'd prefer it if you actually supported the franchise, and that means paying for your poo poo. Plus it's a legal grey area anyway.
  • Leave a positive comment on June Chikuma's page about how awesome the Super Bomberman 3 and Saturn Bomberman soundtracks are, or of how much you like "Redial". :v:
  • Fanart or anything Bomberman/thread-related is always welcome to be posted.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Links go to their respective post/LP Archive page. LPs are by ThornBrain unless listed otherwise. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(By Mezurya)

(By Amazing-Bucket, Tumblr)

(By RasterPunk)

(By Douloug)
Bomberman Has No Soul

(By ElTipejoLoco)

(By TheFattestPat)

(By ChibiWisdom)

Bomberman 93 Platypus
(Original by FreezingIceKirby, YouTube)

(Transparent, exploitable version)

(By Janderbuilt)

(By Kurieg)

(By Ometeotl)

(By BigTUnit1)

(By Catsworth)

GIFs
(By TenaCrane)

(By Melaneus)

(By pichupal)

• June Chikuma @ SoundCloud - Longtime composer for the Bomberman franchise. Features soundtracks for Bomberman II, Super Bomberman 3, Bomberman B-Daman, Bomberman Hero, and Saturn Bomberman among others. Go to "Playlists" to see the tracks together by game.

• INDIEACHIVEMENT's reel of practically every Bomberman game in release order. Gives you an idea of the scope of the little bomber's life:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHXY_6s1srk

• Apparently a music video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDSpvCi4sDk

• Commercial for Bomberman 64:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqX_uuT6cMw

• Tool-Assisted Speedrun of Bomberman 64 by zvsp on TASVideos:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byjZfFwDRds

• LateToTheParty fills us in on the original MSX Bomberman, AKA Eric and the Floaters:

LateToTheParty posted:

The first but yet not Bomberman game for the MSX brought up at the beginning of the video is indeed weird. It was also released on several obscure computers of the 1980s such as the NEC PC-8801, NEC PC-6001, Sharp MZ-700, FM-7, and ZX Spectrum. The ZX Spectrum version of Bomberman actually got released in Europe under the titles of Eric and The Floaters (For English speakers) and Don Pepe Y Los Globos (For Spanish speakers).

Here is the summary of Eric and The Floaters from the IGN database.

quote:

Bomberman precursor from Hudson starring an Indiana Jones-type dynamite expert. Buried treasure and a silent, floating menace await Eric in the Brick Lanes.

Here is the actual game itself.

Finally here is the box art of Don Pepe Y Los Globos.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 12, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---The Game---
Bomberman 64 is the bomber's first foray into 3D gameplay and an early Nintendo 64 title. It's generally agreed to be one of the failed attempts to bring a 2D franchise into the 3D gaming generation - controls are finicky, level design and location of secrets often clash with the controls, physics are wildly inconsistent, bomb stairs are loving stupid. However the nostalgia factor also tends to be high with the game for those who played it in their youth, particularly with the soundtrack. Ultimately, it's a game with interesting ideas but poor execution, and the franchise would be better served by its later 3D installments.

The story is such:
An evil invader named Altair uses the power of the Omni Cube to steal energy from planets. When he and his minions are done with a planet, they steal a chunk of it, lock it to their fortress, and fly off to their next invasion. Our hero Bomberman witnesses Altair's fortress land on Planet Bomber and attack it, and he is tasked by a mysterious stranger, Sirius, with stopping Altair and saving Planet Bomber.

---The LP---
I will be collecting the 100 gold cards required to unlock the final world. However I will not necessarily collect the custom parts, nor will I worry about the gold cards in the final level or the unlockable time-limit costumes.

World 1 - Green Garden

World 2 - Blue Resort

World 3 - Red Mountain

World 4 - White Glacier

World 5 - Black Fortress

World 6 - Rainbow Palace

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Corrector
  • World 1 - Green Garden

frozentreasure posted:

You definitely weren't supposed to use the ghetto bomb jump to get up that staircase in the first level to get the ultra bomb; the actual solution is about as stupid. You need to create a series of bombs of various sizes that let you bounce bombs over to the pillars and drop the grating, then use the staircase as your way out after getting there.
  • World 3 - Red Mountain

frozentreasure posted:

You can hit Orion in the robot with a regular bomb and it won't kill him, I'm pretty sure. I recall getting that card before the card for the robot's hat, at least.
  • World 5 - Black Fortress

frozentreasure posted:

The final gold card against Altair is for beating him without throwing him off the edge.

Thorn, you know you can stop bomb kicks by pressing R, right? A lot of the throws you do to set up bomb hops I found simpler by just using kicks. Granted, throws mean you don't have to wonder whether you'll bounce far enough.

• World 6 - Rainbow Palace

Augus posted:

I get that Thorn was burnt out on the game by now, but there's a lot of stuff you glossed over with the Rainbow stages.

Rainbow 1's mandatory bomb puzzle is easily solved using the same 2-bomb system that you use in Rainbow 3. Rainbow 1 is actually the shortest level in the game once you realize that.
    The other 2 Gold cards on the other hand...well they're special. I'll let this video running the game on a crappy PC speak for itself
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZGnx2ljnKo&t=210s
    Yeah that's some hot bullshit right there. A long chain of elaborate bomb puzzles over bottomless pits. If you gently caress up once you're dead and if you die 3 times you need to start over completely. In comparison the custom parts for that level are pretty tame, for a change.

Rainbow 2's boss has a ton of stuff going on, and the Gold Cards are pretty involved.
    • Gold Card 1 is the freebie you get at the beginning of the fight. You lose it if you take any of the items he gives you though, so getting the Gold Cards means fighting him the old fashioned way with no remote bombs.
    • Card 2 involves blowing a big bomb in his head. You need to throw a bomb through his cape, which will make him disappear, retreat across the room, and poke his head out of the ground. After a few seconds he'll dash away from you. You need to throw a big bomb at the ground and then kinda trick him into running into it. It's not very easy.
    • Card 3 requires you to wait for him to use the attack where he tries to grab you with a shadowy hand. You need to drop a bomb and trick him into grabbing it so it explodes. There's a fair bit of RNG involved in him using the attack in the first place, so this can be a pain in the rear end.
    • Card 4 requires you to burn his cape. Pretty sure you just do this the same way as Card 2, it's kinda weird.
    • Card 5 requires you to do all of the above under the target time, and that's terrible.

On the bright side, the actual hitbox for Spellmaker is his shadow, not the body itself. So actually killing him is easier than it seems at first by just manipulating his habit of running away whenever you get close.
    Here's a video of some dude doing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sH86u8_SZI
    I like this fight for how many attacks the dude has, but getting the Gold Cards just involves a ton of trial and error that isn't very fun

Rainbow 3 you already showed off pretty much everything. The custom parts are annoying to get and not worth anybody's time. I'm pretty sure there's an easier way to get to the switches on the left side of the room but whatever. :effort:

Sirius's Gold Cards are as follows
    • Card 1 you need to beat his first form in the target time. You can beat this phase with regular bombs but he he spends so much time flying and shooting lasers that the only real way to beat him in the time limit is to knock him off the stage like Thorn did. The rest of the cards are all in his second form
    • Card 2, just bounce a pumped up bomb off his head. It's easy to do this if you just catch him after his laser attack
    • Card 3 Catch him in pumped up explosion. Standard stuff
    • Card 4 is keeping Regulus alive. Toss him a heart every now and then and it shouldn't be hard to do this
    • Card 5 is target time as usual

I actually really like this boss fight just for how chaotic it is. You've got Regulus and Sirius spamming bombs everywhere, blowing themselves up, Sirius dashing around and shooting lasers, the AI freaking out and running back and forth, the system chugging and struggling to process all the explosions all over the place, hearts flying everywhere as everybody takes damage constantly. It's really fun in a mindless way. Also the music is rad as gently caress

Anyway, your reward for getting all 120 Gold Cards is Full Power mode, which lets you start every level with maxed out remote hyper bombs. It's fun to mess around with, but probably not worth the effort of getting those last 20 cards. I'lll maintain though that these were way better prizes for getting all of the collectibles than any of Bomberman Hero's unlockable bullshit and way less stupid to get.
    Oh yeah you also unlock 4 new multiplayer stages, which is cool.

Word on the Wind posted:

Also, when you unlock rainbow palace and Sirius make his betrayal, if you go back to all of the stages that he gave you advice (And the duel against him in 1-2) he's apparently replaced himself with robotic duplicates that mock you and say strange things.

Augus posted:

On top of that, he won't appear to give you remote bombs for the boss battles if you go back to them, they'll just be sitting there in a cone that you break open with a bomb. He won't save you during the giant spider boss either, so refighting that boss after beating the game is a bit harder.

• Frozentreasure's Post-LP Roundup
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl3x55nkWJ8

(By RasterPunk)

(By pichupal)

(By Douloug)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 30, 2015

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
You definitely weren't supposed to use the ghetto bomb jump to get up that staircase in the first level to get the ultra bomb; the actual solution is about as stupid. You need to create a series of bombs of various sizes that let you bounce bombs over to the pillars and drop the grating, then use the staircase as your way out after getting there.

Like Croc, I had a lot of nostalgia for this game despite never really playing it that much at all. Enough that, like Croc, I tracked down a copy of it a few months ago for $40. And, like Croc, I was glad to have determined that I was basically just a stupid kid about the game.

Some of the boss fights are cool, though.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I actually like Bomberman 64 more than Hero, but maybe I'm just nostalgic. I'm noticing you're not using R to stop kicked bombs, but I suppose that's not terribly important so long as you still have remote bombs.

Custom items are just multiplayer bonuses, really. I think they still end up feeling useless in that, though, because they were essentially saved exclusively to each player's Controller Packs. In other words: Your friends had to also decide to play and collect the custom items, and save them to their controller packs, if they wanted to play with you using their own costumes. I think you could just copy save data to other controller packs anyway, but nobody likes spending extra time doing set up when you just want to blow up your friends with thrown giant bombs.

I guess these days people are miffed with games that 'punished' players when they didn't get all the MacGuffins they needed for the true final stage/boss/ending? I guess I grew up with enough games that had the whole "now play again on Medium/Hard, without losing a single 1-up/continue/this one shield item we're not going to explain is important for the plot" thing that getting all the collectible gold cards doesn't feel particularly bad. I mean, in comparison to games that don't let you replay stages like Bomberman 64 does.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
whoa, this is back? I missed this.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004
...but.this.phone.is. always.off.it's.hook...
I'm looking forward to this. I've played this drat game three times to nearly completion and I have nostalgia for it despite being kind of a lovely game. I liked a lot of the level design and how secrets were set up. I'm really looking forward to this though, because despite having owned it at I think 12, 19, and 23 years old, not at any point did I find it possible to collect some of the gold cards in the very last level. No walkthroughs made goddamn sense, and I blame the game for that. I don't have a 64 anymore, and I'll be damned if I'm going to try playing it on my computer with a 360 controller. I do remember there being some impossibly stupid parts that were frustrating as gently caress, and that's even pre-final level, so, I do not envy you.

I have incredibly little artistic skill (visually), but someone needs to make an amalgamation between the Altair's of Bomberman and rear end Creed.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

loving Green Garden. As a kid I was completely baffled on how to see the rest of that first goddamn level to get the collectables.

benjoyce
Aug 3, 2007
Swashbuckler from Meleé island
Does Dyna Blaster count as a separate game (I recall it being from Hudson Soft, too), or is it a reskin/repackaging of these games (because the gameplay seems remarkably similar)?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

benjoyce posted:

Does Dyna Blaster count as a separate game (I recall it being from Hudson Soft, too), or is it a reskin/repackaging of these games (because the gameplay seems remarkably similar)?

It's basically the European name for Bomberman 1 and 2 and Atomic Punk (also just another name for Bomberman).

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
Fun fact, first time I played this game when I was a kid, I didn't comprehend the concept of, "The dev defaulted the level selection here, this is where you start" and the first level set I went was White Glacier, AKA World four. I had -nooooooooo- damned idea what the ever-living tar I was doing. Then I thought, "Well Ice place sucked, let's try volcano place.." What followed were my attempts at progress in reverse damned order. (I did however manage to get to the duel of Red Mountain.) It was only after getting really frustrated at the combination of ignorance and incompetence did I finally go to the tutorial place

And why did I do it last? Because it was named "Green Garden" and I don't like green. Childhood!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Heck yes. My only experience with the Bomberman franchise is Generation, Jetters, Max 2 and a little bit of 64 where I spent almost a half-hour in the tutorial level trying to figure out what the heck was going on. Very excited to see what I missed out on.

p.s. If someone wants to LP Bomberman Max 2 (either version) for the GBA that would be super swell.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

ThornBrain posted:

Bomberman 64 is the bomber's first foray into 3D gameplay and an early Nintendo 64 title. It's generally agreed to be one of the failed attempts to bring a 2D franchise into the 3D gaming generation
Who agreed on that? Bomberman 64 is loving great.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
The game was kind of weak but me and my friends loved working through it (probably helped that we had no idea of the gold cards being required) and the multiplayer was always great fun. Always get the curses , as we called the skull pick ups, and pray like anything that it was something nuts. Bursting into flames was always the best result.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
I played this back when it first came first came out, and the only thing I remember about it is the completely asinine and esoteric puzzles. I've had an image in my head for almost two decades of Bomberman trying to bounce across a huge bridge of bombs in some town-like level and I hope to experience that again.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
THANK YOU for acknowledging Saturn Bomberman is the best one because holy poo poo it is.

I am so glad to see this back, cannot wait to watch you play through these and wow, I had absolutely no idea about bombjumping that's so STUPID

Like, jeez 3D environment why not give him a jump already before Hero I mean come on?! Well either way I'm excited so can't wait for more!

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004

Popo posted:

The game was kind of weak but me and my friends loved working through it (probably helped that we had no idea of the gold cards being required) and the multiplayer was always great fun. Always get the curses , as we called the skull pick ups, and pray like anything that it was something nuts. Bursting into flames was always the best result.

That's fantastic. My cousin and I used to call them curses, too. We always had a blast (hurr) playing multiplayer for hours with friends.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I played the hell out of Pocket Bomberman back in the day, probably the only 2d side scrolling Bomberman, and, by necessity, the first one where he could jump.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
There's nostalgia for this game? I had it as a kid and HATED it. I remember thinking Quest 64 was better than this, and that is one terrible loving game.

And Sirius, Altair and all the other names are names of stars, not just nerd characters, nerds.

Edit: You know, after watching all these awful, awful puzzle "solutions", this game is like Kaizo Bomberman, which is kinda cool for all the worst reasons.

MartianAgitator fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 18, 2015

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Kurieg posted:

I played the hell out of Pocket Bomberman back in the day, probably the only 2d side scrolling Bomberman, and, by necessity, the first one where he could jump.

:allears: That's the first game I had for my GBC, and the only Bomberman game I've ever tried. I think it actually marks the point where I went from kiddy edutainment stuff to 'proper' games.

K-ParAdoX
Jul 12, 2004

MartianAgitator posted:

And Sirius, Altair and all the other names are names of stars, not just nerd characters, nerds.
Thanks for pointing that out. It kind of bothered me in the video and I forgot to mention it in my post.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MartianAgitator posted:

Edit: You know, after watching all these awful, awful puzzle "solutions", this game is like Kaizo Bomberman, which is kinda cool for all the worst reasons.

Bomb stairs and bridges own, sorry nerd

Blue Resort is the best musical track to grace the N64's sound chip

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Oh man, I loved this game as a kid. I still have it boxed with manual and everything.
The only sad part was that no matter how hard young me tried, I couldn't find or get all the gold cards. Looking forward to seeing the (nearly) full run, thank you for the nostalgia and childhood memories! :)

Edit: Wow, I don't remember how bs some of the cards were. I totally forgot about that...
That said, was second attack really that bad? I can't remember all of it, but I distinctly remember later parts not being in a weird perspective. Maybe I was just too young to notice bad design though: I personally liked plenty of its elements though, especially the megaman-like mechanics

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 19, 2015

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I loved this game so much as a kid, but sadly never got all the gold cards myself. Instead my brother and his friend got them while I was at school so I never saw the special cutscene after you beat Altair. Will you be revisiting Green Gardens level 2 after you gain access to the final area? The dialog and circumstances change a bit.

I am really disappointed that you won't be playing Second Attack, so I hope someone else tackles it. I never played it myself, but everything I'd ever seen on the internet always held it up as the better of the 64 duology. Probably nostalgia like the praise people have for this game, but still a bit surprising to hear it be so reviled. Regardless, it's still a game I'm super curious to see.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
well I skipped the other lps but these clever and horrible tricks more at home at a romhack than a game that assumes you won't figure out how to walk have me interested.
Bombs bouncing on bombs, let's go full bombception.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bel Monte posted:

Oh man, I loved this game as a kid. I still have it boxed with manual and everything.
The only sad part was that no matter how hard young me tried, I couldn't find or get all the gold cards. Looking forward to seeing the (nearly) full run, thank you for the nostalgia and childhood memories! :)

Edit: Wow, I don't remember how bs some of the cards were. I totally forgot about that...
That said, was second attack really that bad? I can't remember all of it, but I distinctly remember later parts not being in a weird perspective. Maybe I was just too young to notice bad design though: I personally liked plenty of its elements though, especially the megaman-like mechanics

I liked this game a lot as a kid, but I think I ended up using a Gameshark to get the last handful of cards I either couldn't find or just couldn't get the bosses to give up. I honestly spent a lot more time dressing up my Bomberman and playing multiplayer against the CPUs.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I get that 64 is kind of divisive because that game is... not that great. But I don't really get why The Second Attack gets a bad rap. Anyone care to explain?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Who agreed on that? Bomberman 64 is loving great.

Seriously, the multiplayer is the best.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

RBA Starblade posted:

Seriously, the multiplayer is the best.

Is 64's multiplayer the only one to use round explosions? I just checked The Second Attack and it looks like that used cross explosions in multiplayer like the later games do.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Alright, this is one of my guilty pleasure games. I spent so much time as a kid trying to set up those freaking bomb jumps to get to those secret areas that I ended up writing to good old Nintendo Power.

Love this games soundtrack so much that I still occasionally listen to it. About 16 years ago I was vigilantly searching the early interwebs trying to find...whatever kind of audio files we used to use back then.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
World 2 - Blue Resort

For a resort, you do not want to go here for a vacation.

This is as good a time as any to mention the update schedule. I'm uploading a part every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. There's six worlds in 64, so it'll be a quick two-week LP in total. Later LPs will probably be updated similarly if not the same.

This is also as good a time as any to let slip that one of our fans has offered to record all of The Second Attack for us to commentate over. More on that as it develops.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

ThornBrain posted:

World 2 - Blue Resort

For a resort, you do not want to go here for a vacation.

This is as good a time as any to mention the update schedule. I'm uploading a part every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. There's six worlds in 64, so it'll be a quick two-week LP in total. Later LPs will probably be updated similarly if not the same.

This is also as good a time as any to let slip that one of our fans has offered to record all of The Second Attack for us to commentate over. More on that as it develops.
After all your poo poo-talking about Second Attack, my boyfriend has been getting super worried now about buying it off of eBay a week ago, and it was pretty pricey on there too.

What EXACTLY is so bad about Second Attack compared to the other N64 Bomberman games?

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 19, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dresh posted:

Is 64's multiplayer the only one to use round explosions? I just checked The Second Attack and it looks like that used cross explosions in multiplayer like the later games do.

Multiplayer-wise I think so yeah.

quote:

What EXACTLY is so bad about Second Attack compared to the other N64 Bomberman games?

I don't know, I thought it ruled as a kid. It has a terrible story though. :v: Co-op's fun, try it!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
To answer Travis's question, there are probably retro game stores that would fix an N64 controller--but I imagine they'd simply replace the stick. You can actually find replacement N64 controller sticks on eBay and Amazon (I think). They're built more like Gamecube sticks, and they work fairly well. I've got one in my N64 controller, which went from nearly unusable to a little finicky (the replacement sticks have a little trouble registering circular motions, so doing things like quick spins in OoT/MM are a bit difficult, but otherwise they seem to function normally).

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I unironically love the hell out of this game, baffling bomb-jumping metagame and all. It just feels a lot less restricted than Bomberman Generations and Jetters, where Bomberman feels like he's had both of his feet nailed to the floor and is just hopeless dragging his feet everywhere in a vain attempt to defy the cruel gods of gravity. But opinions and all that.

Also the boss fights are really fun.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
This was the first time I’d ever seen or played an import of a game. Our local video game rental place rented this game with an adapter so you could play Japanese N64 titles on a US model -and this was several months before the game came out in the US, so I was already pretty familiar with it before I owned it. I didn’t even know about the ‘real’ last level or the gold cards until the game was a few years old. I tried to get them and gave up after a couple of hours because it just seemed completely impossible. I’m looking forward to seeing how much more bullshit they get.

Also yeah, echoing sentiments in here that the multiplayer is fantastic. The core game is very clunky now. Playing this game as an adult I’m amazed I was able to get through any of it as a kid.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
My friend had this game, and for some reason I always thought Blue Resort was the first world. Don't even remember the first world being a thing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

One thing that is kinda dumb with this game though is that they give you the choice between all 4 worlds at the beginning, but not only is the Green World very obviously the tutorial level but there's a very clear difficulty progression between the rest of the worlds and a set order you're obviously supposed to do them in. I guess it is nice if you get stuck on a difficulty spike at some point but it's pretty wonky design. There's no advantage to doing certain worlds earlier either since there isn't any sort of power-up system

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I rented Bomberman 64 as a kid, and I wanted to like it, but bomb bridges/stairs were just too much. Fortunately, someone who was either a Bomberman savant or a cheater had a 100% file on there. I played 2nd Attack up to the urban level, I thought it was pretty good -- definitely the better of the two -- even though it planted the first seed for the shameless concept of Charaboms (just Pommy, I think?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I didn't even realize Artemis was a girl back when I first played this. Blue Resort is still one of the best chill tracks in video games.

• Locked thread