Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Remember when Triple H was facing a 3v1 assault by Cade, Murdoch, and Carlito (at the time the tag champs and a midcard heel on the rise) until London and Kendrick made the save, leading Triple H to beat up all five men because ON YOUR KNEES DOUG?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DeathChicken posted:

The other one that stands out was that time William Regal came to Eugene's defense versus Triple H, made an incredible face turn with that epic "I will destroy you with bile and venom" promo...and then they had a match where Triple H demolished him in like a minute. Okay then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcb8RoxQPD0

Seriously, this deserves more justice. One of my favourite promos ever. That pop at "IT WAS ME, SUNSHINE!" :allears:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hunter is honestly literally the worst. The most insecure person in wrestling.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Rock did the clean job to Goldberg, yes, but he didn't do ol' Bill any favors during the match.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

The best thing Hunter ever's done is semi-retire from wrestling and just work on the backstage side of it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

he's probably the GOAT tbh

bartok
May 10, 2006

Glamorama26 posted:

Rock did the clean job to Goldberg, yes, but he didn't do ol' Bill any favors during the match.

I assume the Brock match was also a pretty big letdown too because they never show any highlights from that either.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

ICHIBAHN posted:

This is objectively wrong, HHH owns and at one time was literally the best wrestler on earth

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

The other one that stands out was that time William Regal came to Eugene's defense versus Triple H, made an incredible face turn with that epic "I will destroy you with bile and venom" promo...and then they had a match where Triple H demolished him in like a minute. Okay then.

This is the weirdest HHH King of Shovels Burial for me.

Hurricane and the rest Trips probably didn't care but Regal (as he mentions in the awesome promo) mentored Hunter in WCW. Regal is a great guy and fantastic in his current role but I'm sure a lot of his current career owes a debt to HHH.

So why did Hunter squash him so fast?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

wizardstick posted:

So why did Hunter squash him so fast?

For the same reason birds fly and cats take frequent naps. Burying people comes as naturally to Triple H as breathing does to you and I.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Like most professional wrestlers he is probably delusional enough to think that he 'gave Regal the rub' by working with him

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.

DeathChicken posted:

Regal's final promo against Cesaro in NXT had similar vocabulary, but was more about a battered grappler well beyond his prime recognizing a far superior opponent but will still put 200% effort to be an instrument of destruction. Then the match.

Oh, that match.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yuriy posted:

This is objectively wrong, HHH owns and at one time was literally the best wrestler on earth

HHH is both one of the best minds/performers wrestling has had and also one of its more unpleasant political forces, which when you consider that he came up as understudy to Shawn Michaels makes a lot of sense

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

HHH is an author self-insert in the story of Paul Levesque's life.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
HHH is unable to have a good match outside the "epic match" WWE main event style, and he isn't exactly the best guy at that style of match either.

Bold statement but hell, I believe it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
HHH was awesome in 2000-01

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yuriy posted:

When was this, 2000?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Spikeguy posted:

From a booking, match quality and/or fan reaction standpoint, who has had the best first time title reigns?

Personally, the best I've ever been a part of has to be Austin.

But I have to imagine Bruno and Hogans were pretty great too.

Misawa's first title reign lasted for 2 years as he ran the table of challengers and kicked off a run of 200 straight sellouts in Tokyo so that has to be up there.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Aesop Poprock posted:

When was this, 2000?

Yea 2000-2001

triplexpac posted:

HHH was awesome in 2000-01

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Were the Steiners opposed to wrestling each other in WCW? Was there a reason they constantly avoided having a real match?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
HHH was the best wrestler in the world in 2000-01 but was never the same after his quad tear. He got really insecure and fat and worked a really lazy "methodical/Harley Race" style that was awful. He was never the worst guy in the world in the ring, but you combine his lack of ability with business-killing politics and he has a good case for most detrimental wrestler in the world from 2002-03. He got his working mojo back a bit around 04, but was still terrible in terms of attitude and such.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Best wrestler in the world never belonged to HHH. He was best wrestler in WWE in 2000-2001 because Michaels wasn't back yet. And even then I would put Angle on HHH's level.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
I'm pretty sure you could have slotted nearly anyone that was an active wrestler at the time in Triple H's slot and they would've come out looking gravy, too.

I mean, when your tag partners/opponents are guys like Rock, Austin, Benoit, Eddie, Angle, Jericho, etc. you'd have to really work at being shite.

Like, looking at the list of his televised matches, I think the worst guys he went against were Rikishi and Test, which were both like lovely DQ matches on Smackdown.

E: and this was after he enjoyed Kingmaker moments like the HIAC match with Foley.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I saw that Rikishi match when it aired, and it had me convinced for longer than I would like to admit that he was going places.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Perdido posted:

I'm pretty sure you could have slotted nearly anyone that was an active wrestler at the time in Triple H's slot and they would've come out looking gravy, too.

I mean, when your tag partners/opponents are guys like Rock, Austin, Benoit, Eddie, Angle, Jericho, etc. you'd have to really work at being shite.

Like, looking at the list of his televised matches, I think the worst guys he went against were Rikishi and Test, which were both like lovely DQ matches on Smackdown.

E: and this was after he enjoyed Kingmaker moments like the HIAC match with Foley.

This is why I always have trouble with saying Triple H was the best in the world. Sure, he was good, and 2000-2002 was his peak, but with how stacked the roster was at that point it sorta had to be. Given how frequently he was appearing in main event matches with some of the greatest wrestlers of all time, it would've been difficult for Triple H to look bad.

Not that Triple H ever approached bad — far from it — but there's no denying that he benefitted massively from the once-in-a-lifetime roster the WWE had at that particular moment in time. It's like Christian Laettner playing with the 1992 Dream Team: Laettner was good, but he was surrounded by so much talent that he could've been blind and legless and still won the gold medal.

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 19, 2015

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

ecavalli posted:

This is why I always have trouble with saying Triple H was the best in the world. Sure, he was good, and 2000-2002 was his peak, but with how stacked the roster was at that point it sorta had to be. Given how frequently he was appearing in main event matches with some of the greatest wrestlers of all time, it would've been difficult for Triple H to look bad.

Not that Triple H ever approached bad — far from it — but there's no denying that he benefitted massively from the once-in-a-lifetime roster the WWE had at that particular moment in time.

The way I look at it, is does Triple H pass the 'Ric Flair and a broomstick' metric. In other words, if you put any sack of poo poo in the ring with HHH, does it lead to a passable or even good match?

Given that he's had a remarkable number of underwhelming (Orton @ WM25) or poo poo matches in his career (Scott Steiner I and Scott Steiner II, anyone?) and I just don't see him as being one of the all time greats, especially if you compare him to someone like Flair, Hart, Michaels, etc. (E: And I'm not saying that Flair/Hart/Shawn haven't had underwhelming or bad matches, but they were known for their ability to polish a turd, moreso than someone like Triple H.)

I also base it on crowd reaction/appreciation. I loved how both times he came out (when Brock broke his arm or whatever and after his "concussion") and tried to have a 'heroic sendoff' moment, the crowd just straight up poo poo on it and sat on their hands.

He was a very good worker, but he was boring as hell to me and propped up immensely by guys who were just as or more talented than him. His inferiority complex and politicking just made him horribly grating and probably clouds how I view him, but whatever.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Aug 19, 2015

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

HHH is an author self-insert in the story of Paul Levesque's life.

There's still a part of me that quietly wishes all the absurdity of HHH's badass posturing is pure character. That the kind of person who says "I'm going to become Motorhead: The Wrestler" is insecure backstabber HHH and not insecure actual human Paul Levesque. That the stupid nicknames, the water spitting, the skulls, crowns, cybernetic exoskeletons, etc. are from someone self-aware enough to recognize just how loving silly and trying-too-hard it all is. But everything I know tells me this probably isn't the case.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

A big reason I hate Triple H is that he made Motorhead: the Wrestler but he is nowhere near as cool as Motorhead.

it's disrespectful

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Perdido posted:

I also base it on crowd reaction/appreciation. I loved how both times he came out (when Brock broke his arm or whatever and after his "concussion") and tried to have a 'heroic sendoff' moment, the crowd just straight up poo poo on it and sat on their hands.

While I don't disagree with your conclusion, in fairness to the man, his 2002 return from the quad injury got a giant loving Jesus pop. At his prime, the crowd really, really gave a poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGQugQpjz8

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

that's partially because he came off of being legit one of the best wrestlers in the USA for his run in the year 2000 and before his reign of terror that started later that year

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 19, 2015

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CarlCX posted:

While I don't disagree with your conclusion, in fairness to the man, his 2002 return from the quad injury got a giant loving Jesus pop. At his prime, the crowd really, really gave a poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGQugQpjz8

Crowds gave Kane and Kurt Angle a Jesus Pop, as well. EDIT: Also, that was after we got to have that loving 'Beautiful Day' video package jammed down our collective throats for what felt like forever.

I like how the chorus ("it's a beautiful daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay") is interspersed with a montage of Triple H either spewing water like a water sprinkler or random chairshots, haha, so props for unintentional comedy.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 19, 2015

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's still a part of me that quietly wishes all the absurdity of HHH's badass posturing is pure character. That the kind of person who says "I'm going to become Motorhead: The Wrestler" is insecure backstabber HHH and not insecure actual human Paul Levesque. That the stupid nicknames, the water spitting, the skulls, crowns, cybernetic exoskeletons, etc. are from someone self-aware enough to recognize just how loving silly and trying-too-hard it all is. But everything I know tells me this probably isn't the case.

His WMXXX entrance and everything in the build-up to his match with Bryan honestly gave me that impression. It was the Conan entrance from a few years before done right (i.e. without the stupid water bottle) but also exaggerated to such a ridiculous degree that I couldn't take it as anything else but self-parody. The only thing that entrance lacked to be perfect was for Triple H to yell I AM YOUR GOLDEN GOD, WWE at one point.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

If "being a try-hard dork" was just part of his character, we'd have Cole over-explaining it every week

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

St Evan Echoes posted:

If "being a try-hard dork" was just part of his character, we'd have Cole over-explaining it every week

The problem with Triple H's character and wrestling stories overall is often that they are designed to go on in perpetuity. In a movie, Triple H going ridiculously overboard with his WMXXX entrance and subsequently losing to Bryan would have been the end of the story with everything tied up nicely. But in wrestling there is always the next show, and Triple H wont just vanish because his character had a satisfying arch. It's always about trying to milk more out of something that has been proven to be successful, which with Triple H has the unfortunate effect of making him look like he is trying too hard to look like a try-hard.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Grendels Dad posted:

The problem with Triple H's character and wrestling stories overall is often that they are designed to go on in perpetuity. In a movie, Triple H going ridiculously overboard with his WMXXX entrance and subsequently losing to Bryan would have been the end of the story with everything tied up nicely. But in wrestling there is always the next show, and Triple H wont just vanish because his character had a satisfying arch. It's always about trying to milk more out of something that has been proven to be successful, which with Triple H has the unfortunate effect of making him look like he is trying too hard to look like a try-hard.

Funny thing is that the subsequent HHH+Evolution/Shield feud was super super good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I feel like this thread needs to watch Max Landis's Wrestling Isn't Wrestling again for the best telling of HHH's career path.

45ShadesOfDeath posted:

Regal's final promo against Cesaro in NXT had similar vocabulary, but was more about a battered grappler well beyond his prime recognizing a far superior opponent but will still put 200% effort to be an instrument of destruction. Then the match.

Oh, that match.

The last ever FCW match was great too. He and Ambrose had a long standing escalating rivalry and Regal cut his excellent "drag him to a carpark and set him on fire" promo. Then the match came to a no contest because Ambrose made him bleed from the ear.

Regal feuds :allears:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Alain Post posted:

Funny thing is that the subsequent HHH+Evolution/Shield feud was super super good.

That's true, but I think my theory still applies. It's just a matter of when the serial nature of wrestling will cause these kinds of friction in the storytelling. Of course there is also the basic problem that some people involved in the writing process are literally insane. But I do think that stories and character development in wrestling has some inherent qualities that complicate things beyond that.

edit: I actually haven't seen the Landis-thing yet, I will need to get on that as it sounds extremely like my poo poo, thanks.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Every character in the WWE is overexplained to the audience as if we were children (for obvious reasons). Trips' character is not spelled out as being a try hard dork, therefore in kayfabe he is not a try hard dork. He is an awesome warrior cerebral assassin God.

It's real life where he's a dork.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Grendels Dad posted:

That's true, but I think my theory still applies. It's just a matter of when the serial nature of wrestling will cause these kinds of friction in the storytelling. Of course there is also the basic problem that some people involved in the writing process are literally insane. But I do think that stories and character development in wrestling has some inherent qualities that complicate things beyond that.

yeah, I mean, in some way, having satisfying narrative arcs, and conclusive endings flies into the face of the principle that if an angle's drawing, you push it until it isn't hot anymore. So of course a ton of angles end weirdly, or are just dropped without comment when nobody cares about them anymore.

And in a way, it kind of makes a bit of sense. What if your super hot feud with a meticulous, year-long storyline is still super hot when you reach the end? Doesn't it make some sort of sense to go, hey, we're in the business of selling tickets, might as well keep this train rolling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

St Evan Echoes posted:

It's real life where he's a dork.

And it's funny, because he seems a lot more endearing in real life. Last year he tweeted a picture of this huge unassembled toy. A while later, he tweeted a picture to Stephanie showing the entire dollhouse had been assembled. Dude seemed so proud of himself.