Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Holy poo poo Primal Staves are crazy

They hold like 200 vis and passively recharge every kind of vis to 20 and add a level of potency to any focus you use with it :pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So, exactly how do I make a head with Botania? I want to finish the Earning Respect quest - without killing the guy (which I don't think works anyway?)

Also, where is the flying city located? I feel I've been puttering around in the air all over the place, but I can't find it. I've been there once for the scouting quest, but for some reason, I did not take the drat teleporter, and now I can't find my way back. ><

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Datasmurf posted:

So, exactly how do I make a head with Botania? I want to finish the Earning Respect quest - without killing the guy (which I don't think works anyway?)

Also, where is the flying city located? I feel I've been puttering around in the air all over the place, but I can't find it. I've been there once for the scouting quest, but for some reason, I did not take the drat teleporter, and now I can't find my way back. ><

Press M. It's on the east edge of the map.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

also approach the floating city from the north as that's where the beacon is, also there is something really nice there :q:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Glory of Arioch posted:

also approach the floating city from the north as that's where the beacon is, also there is something really nice there :q:

Thirsty Thursdays at the Ole Taint Tendril Pub?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magmarashi posted:

Thirsty Thursdays at the Ole Taint Tendril Pub?

yes we can all go down to the pub and play a rousing game of "hide the sniper arrow"

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
I'm not good with Thaumcraft, how do you get Perfodio for the Pickaxe of the Core in Blightfall?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Threep posted:

I'm not good with Thaumcraft, how do you get Perfodio for the Pickaxe of the Core in Blightfall?

Just smelt pickaxes. Any pickaxes work. Prometheum, bronze, whatever.

edit: they have to be old school pickaxes, crafted by three ingots over a couple sticks. Tinker's pickaxes won't work.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Threep posted:

Order pickaxes from the supplier. You may have to start ordering a few days in advance.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Has anyone tried to purify the tainted NPCs? I know you can purify villagers, but what about the custom ones?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
They aren't purifiable because they aren't 'tainted,' they're just CustomNPC that are set to hostile. This can work in your favour as Taintacles don't like them either :cthulhu:

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Any idea what kind of weaponry I should be using in the early game? I'm currently using a Bloodwood Cutlass and a Bloodwood Crossbow with Iron bolts and I'm still feeling rather nervous whenever I see some leather helmed entity on the minimap even if lives are much more lenient and keep inventory is on.

Other than that I'm tempted to use the swamp bay as a base for both my food production and...something else? Thaumcraft? Areas, I haven't used golems before so this is gonna be new for me.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Personally I just turned to a wand with an upgraded shock focus and have not looked back. Potency II and Chain Lightning so far and it just wrecks everything.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog

Ciaphas posted:

Personally I just turned to a wand with an upgraded shock focus and have not looked back. Potency II and Chain Lightning so far and it just wrecks everything.

Gotta get there first of course, which means actually getting really down and dirty with thaumcraft and not suddenly getting distracted by botania...at least that's gated behind stuff so I can work on both!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

I really like my shock focus but it has one huge downside -- a limited range

i looted a fireball focus from somewhere that shoots a projectile in an arc and I have been using that for long-distance sniping

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Ciaphas posted:

This is the right answer, shock wands are incredible, especially in this world where there's no creepers you have to watch out about accidentally supercharging. Shock wand is super vis efficient, don't waste levels on making it Frugal, just go full hog on damage.

Once you get a super node and an osmotic enchanter, an enchanted thaumium sword and eventually sword of the winds will be a useful backup to the shock wand. For once I wouldn't bother with Tinkers' weapons - getting the right materials is too bothersome.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Anything that uses Aer is fine by me, considering it seems like that's in like 95% of the aura nodes.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i don't need no stinking aer node, i got a vis stone and a silverwood staff, what's up 500 vis of every type

now excuse me while i afk next to my arcane worktable for 10 minutes to recharge this thing at 5 CV :gonk:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

i don't need no stinking aer node, i got a vis stone and a silverwood staff, what's up 500 vis of every type

now excuse me while i afk next to my arcane worktable for 10 minutes to recharge this thing at 5 CV :gonk:

Make two, leave one in the charger while you use the other, when you come back swap them?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

E: Oh yeah someone asked if there was still any interest in a more in-depth AE2 post, and I'd love to read one. Not sure I'll make it happen in Blightfall because resources are scarce enough that I'm not having a horrible time just storing stuff in double chests and keeping it organized, but I'd kill to have a good AE2 post the next time I play like Tekkit or something where I'll need the organizational help.

This won't be a super post but this should get things started.

Applied Energistics handles storage and automation. You can consider the way it handles items is by keeping them in files on a series of disks, and you access them from a terminal. This condenses storage down very neatly. Instead of having to manage the logistics of lots of chests and external storage solutions, you can shove all your stuff into your disks from a terminal as if it were just one big, hungry mouth, and it will sort it all out for you. They then went a step further of letting it automatically import and export items for you based on conditions. One step above that was giving the system the ability to craft items for you on request. This is where the automation comes in. You can have zero of an item, but have all the steps in place towards crafting it--including intermediate steps to ram it through various machines and devices--and it will figure out the dependencies and send it through everything for you.

Applied Energistics 2 is a controversial 2.0-style release of the original mod that changed many of the mechanics. This had the effect of drawing out the progression, and making many people complain about grinds--including yours truly. I've kind of tamped down on that just a little bit, but it's still harder to set it up now than the original. Their idea was to let you get the basics together even earlier by not mandating a controller, but then they made acquiring a controller so much harder that it got drawn out. You now have to go on scavenger hunts--the meteor hunting--for processor presses, and you need a little bit of a normally-very-rare charged certus quartz. They tried to make it easier to draw out whatever quartz you get by grinding it down, mixing it with sand, and growing purer crystals in water. However, this takes several real-life hours to complete at a time you're trying to get things kicking. Just keep this all in mind while you're setting things up.

There's some trick to remembering the processors, their presses, and their dependencies:
Engineering presses are advanced and require diamonds. Your first encounter with one of these will probably be making your controller.
Logic presses are simple and are very common when crafting actual storage cells. They require gold.
Calculation presses span various intermediate gear and some of the in-between phases. They require certus quartz.
Silicon presses always require silicon. You will always need to press out one of these to finish any other type of processor.

Any processor is made by smashing its pressed version of a pressed silicon, with redstone in the middle.

The classic starter network for Applied Energistics involves a terminal, an ME drive, a storage cell, some cables, and a controller. Depending on your mod pack's integration, you may need to make its energy cell to accept external power. Always have some backup fuel/energy in a chest nearby in case you run out of power and need to boot up everything enough to get your automated power generation working correctly again.

Most people will complain that the recipes for AE and AE2 are tedious, and they kind of are. The trick is everybody immediately throws a crafting terminal up, sets up autocrafting, gets recipes into the system, and then forgets all the recipes. Need more cables? Beep beep boop done.

The controller has become pickier in AE2 by requiring channels. This has been another bone of contention. I think most people that do computer crap for a living don't mind it, but that's not everybody. The general gist is that the controller is really more like a router, and it accept cabling freely from different sides. However, there is a limit on every side for how many devices you can place. It's limited by the cable hitting the controller. A basic cable can only handle 8 devices. For your starter network, that's fine, since an ME drive is just one device, regardless if it has 12 storage cells in it. But automation nutcases have to worry about it. The general strategy is to create the largest cables, and color them by task. Every major task then comes out of the controller from one side and goes off to their area. The color prevents these big cables from connecting and creating loops. If you do this, you can probably be ignorant of channels for even intermediate networks.

The storage cells can hold 64 different types of items. The difference then is how many of each they can hold. So a 4k cell can hold 4096 of 64 different items. Important point: if you fill up the maximum of one item, it will then move on to another slide in the cell to put more. So it's possible to have a 4k storage cell hold 262,144 of one thing (64 * 4096), although kind of dumb. There are tricks for effectively partitioning cells and restricting items to go to certain cells if you want to get into that game. For the most part, you probably don't. You can use a storage interface to go out to deep storage units, barrels, or whatever for large, monolithic storage. The hardcore autocrafting folks just make the 64M storage cells for everything once they get going.

This does not really get into autocrafting, other than to acknowledge it exists. It also ignores spatial storage, which lets you build frames around areas and suck them up into disks. Yes, you can walk inside this region and beam yourself into your own storage, but you better have brought a means of getting out!

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magres posted:

Orichalcum, Manyullyn, and Pokefennium all do

I'd go for Orichalcum, personally, but that's partly because I've already found and bookmarked some

E: Just got my first Totem of the Dawn and daaaammmnnnnnn they clean a big area, by my estimate it's a 48x48 area (3 chunks x 3 chunks, centered on the totem chunk, I think) where Ethereal Blooms clean something like a 7 block radius. If you can make a couple dozen of these you can clean the world out in no time. I'm gonna work towards totem spam with one Dawn Machine for cleaning up tainted nodes. By my reckoning, with a Euclidaisy covering Auram, you can make all the essentia needed into renewable resources. Hardest part is gonna be the fact that each totem takes 7 ordo shards and an ignis shard

Thank you, i couldnt remember the name <madly scribbles down> Totem of the Dawn, Now to work out how to :( ok won't be building one soon but i will get there.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Turtlicious posted:

OMP-I is crashing when I'm starting a new world, do I need to increase permgen still in the technic launcher?

I have this problem, too.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm glad that extra support for all the cooking poo poo in blightfall is getting added, because a big part of why it sucks is that you require so much variety but literally have no backup on figuring out the cooking system at all. (also if the value is getting lowered to 400 i think it should just get lowered to 300 to make it easier for those who absolutely do not care about cooking)

on an unrelated note, i'm annoyed but not surprised at where the orange botania flowers are hidden away. making dayblooms is a bit tough when those fuckers are guarding necessary components.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Do I have any options other than Tiny Spectacles for increasing how far golems can act? My gathering and harvesting golems can't even do a full 9x9 wheat plot :mad:

(edit) And the Harvest golem in particular is comically slow to pick up on fully-grown wheat, jeez. Maybe I should have gone for machines instead :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also, goddamn lamps of growth eat herba like crazy. Feels like I have to burn up half the wheat I harvest as seeds just to keep that thing supplied, eesh.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The Aqua upgrade for golems increases their sight range by a lot. Not sure if it stacks with spectacles but even if not it should be plenty. If you want to keep using the Ordo upgrade on your harvest golems you'll need to either make an advanced golem or use one with two upgrade slots (flesh, thaumium).

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

The Aqua upgrade for golems increases their sight range by a lot. Not sure if it stacks with spectacles but even if not it should be plenty. If you want to keep using the Ordo upgrade on your harvest golems you'll need to either make an advanced golem or use one with two upgrade slots (flesh, thaumium).

There are three ways to increase golem sight range.
Upgrade to advanced golem,
Spectacles,
And Water Upgrade.

That's all that I know, but there might be other mods that add more options.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Awesome, thank you!

Autocrafting is the big multiblock structure, right? I did a tiny bit of AE2 in AgSkies2 but never really went anywhere with it because tracking cables and channels and all of that poo poo just really, really did not appeal to me (I think AE1 would be more up my alley)

Krakatoah posted:

Any idea what kind of weaponry I should be using in the early game? I'm currently using a Bloodwood Cutlass and a Bloodwood Crossbow with Iron bolts and I'm still feeling rather nervous whenever I see some leather helmed entity on the minimap even if lives are much more lenient and keep inventory is on.

Other than that I'm tempted to use the swamp bay as a base for both my food production and...something else? Thaumcraft? Areas, I haven't used golems before so this is gonna be new for me.

I ran a flint longsword and a wooden crossbow with wood bolts for a really long time. You have to flee from anything you can't draw into a fight that is heavily advantageous for you, but it's definitely workable. I even managed to kill the fuckers guarding the orange flowers with that setup, one goddamned half heart per bolt.

TheresaJayne posted:

Thank you, i couldnt remember the name <madly scribbles down> Totem of the Dawn, Now to work out how to :( ok won't be building one soon but i will get there.

Keep in mind that you can take Potentia from charcoal and Alchemical Centrifuge it down into half ordo, half ignis. Averaging a point of ordo per charcoal makes ordo much, much easier to deal with. And, heck, if you're bottling milk and burning it in the furnace for Sano, you're going to have loads of Vitreum to centrifuge down to terra and ordo.

Ordo was a really irritating essentia to deal with for a long time because I never realized how incredibly powerful the alchemical centrifuge is if you're clever with it. Like all that Infernus you'll get from burning Nether Wart? It's useless garbage until you spam it into a centrifuge for ignis and praecantatio, upping your production of prae by 50%

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

Awesome, thank you!

Autocrafting is the big multiblock structure, right? I did a tiny bit of AE2 in AgSkies2 but never really went anywhere with it because tracking cables and channels and all of that poo poo just really, really did not appeal to me (I think AE1 would be more up my alley)

Autocrafting will wind up being a multiblock structure. I never really optimized that with AE2; I only started getting into the crazies with it at the beginning of the year and my cohort lost interest. So I know the gist of crafting CPUs and the like but I'd have to look at it again before I told anybody how to do it with AE2.

BTW where is that secret in the swamp? Given how easy it was to find the secret behind the lake waterfall, I figured the swamp would be nothing. I've been running around all over near swamp delta and getting nothing.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Autocrafting will wind up being a multiblock structure. I never really optimized that with AE2; I only started getting into the crazies with it at the beginning of the year and my cohort lost interest. So I know the gist of crafting CPUs and the like but I'd have to look at it again before I told anybody how to do it with AE2.

BTW where is that secret in the swamp? Given how easy it was to find the secret behind the lake waterfall, I figured the swamp would be nothing. I've been running around all over near swamp delta and getting nothing.

It's in the water in the bay, look down :cheeky:

Coordinate-wise, it's around X=650, Z=1300, and you can see it on the worldmap

I wonder if it's possible to make the worldmap lie, most of the secrets are easy to see on it once you know what to look for. I definitely found some stuff just combing over the map

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Magres posted:

Ordo was a really irritating essentia to deal with for a long time because I never realized how incredibly powerful the alchemical centrifuge is if you're clever with it. Like all that Infernus you'll get from burning Nether Wart? It's useless garbage until you spam it into a centrifuge for ignis and praecantatio, upping your production of prae by 50%

yeah the centrifuge is really helpful, I have been running around and killing tainted monsters and stuffing the drops into my satchel (so they don't dissolve) and then centrifuging the vitreus for praecantatio

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Amazing. Updated my video card drivers, and whenever I try to run anything Minecraft related; all I get is:

"RuntimeException: No OpenGL context found in the current thread"

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Watch out when submitting a golem for the distraction quest. It doesn't specifically want a straw golem, so if you have a straw golem along with another golem in your inventory, it might take the other one.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Euclidaisies seem to spit out a lot of Auram wispy essences. Maybe it's just random chance, but I've got 20 Essences so far and 13 of them are Auram.

Which is just fine by me, all I want them for is a way to have a renewable source of Auram and Auram wispy essences have 4 Auram in them.

Oof though, these things take a lot of mana to run, I definitely need to get a pile of golems up and running on my tree farm and an infernal furnace setup to turn the wood into charcoal and make some more endoflames and just, in general, beef this poo poo up to keep up.

Magres fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 19, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

botania's balancing factor for only having a single resource is that some of the functional flora take a shitload of it to work. i made a loonium on the last server i was on and i needed a kekimura specifically to run that thing worth a poo poo. was worth it, though, because dungeon loot from a flower is pretty nice.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
On an old server I played on with some friends, one of them generated pretty much all of our Iridium with a couple Looniums. Relying on the RNG to eventually spit Iridium at us was easier than waiting for enough IC2 energy to massfab the drat stuff. Even with three endothermic pumps feeding like 25 geothermal generators I could make one iridium like every 6 hours.

Iridium is a garbage resource though. Really all of the materials you're supposed to massfab are total garbage because they're just enormous energy sinks that aren't fun or interesting.

The thing I like about Botania is that, yeah, these take a ton of power to generate, but Botania has actually interesting ways of generating power

E: awwww blightfall took out the elementally infused fires from thaumic tinkerer. Probably a good thing because they're all stupid, stupid nonsense that shouldn't exist*, but one of them has a hilarious exploit for infinite Botania mana. Aer infused fire turns everything it touches into cake, and with the Gourmaryllis you can turn it into an everlasting source of (huge) piles of botania mana.

*It's really easy for infused fires to completely demolish your world because they can't be extinguished by hand, they have enormous leap ranges on the fire, the fire can't be smothered with blocks, and will burn basically anything and everything. Only time I've ever used infused fire I had to call my friend that was running the server and tell him "hey, uh, so me and Sean, we kind of froze the nether with ice fire and it's lagging the server to hell" and he spent the next hour sorting out how much of a rollback we needed. Putting in items that are pretty much designed to break your server without any disclaimer on them is a dick move.

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 19, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm glad that extra support for all the cooking poo poo in blightfall is getting added, because a big part of why it sucks is that you require so much variety but literally have no backup on figuring out the cooking system at all. (also if the value is getting lowered to 400 i think it should just get lowered to 300 to make it easier for those who absolutely do not care about cooking)

Eh. The reason why we're lowering it to 400 isn't arbitrary- the original 500 value was achieved with Real Math Calculations based on the level of variety talonos was shooting for. The problem was that we didn't realize that the hunger rotation is based on hunger eaten after diminishing returns, we thought it was before diminishing returns. So the values ended up being too high. The adjustment is to fix that mistake. If you absolutely do not care at all about cooking, you absolutely can/should modify the value. Tomorrow's update will probably be the last for a little while provided that all the stuff we set out to fix is actually fixed, so don't feel weird about modifying configs, it's not gonna be constantly reset.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i genuinely don't want to sound like i'm nitpicking a lot, believe me. i personally lowered it in my solo game since it's a lot to keep track of on top of everything else, but on a group server i'd be fine with whatever. mostly i just wanna be able to sell the adventure pack to other people better, and it's hard to do that when people immediately start asking why they need to get into cooking like 50 different things when they're already dealing with taint and whatever else.

Seatox
Mar 13, 2012
Placed cheesecakes don't appear to suffer diminishing hunger returns when you eat slices from them, at least in singleplayer. They just seem to give you hunger+saitety. Eating them from your hand does, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Magres posted:

Euclidaisies seem to spit out a lot of Auram wispy essences. Maybe it's just random chance, but I've got 20 Essences so far and 13 of them are Auram.

Which is just fine by me, all I want them for is a way to have a renewable source of Auram and Auram wispy essences have 4 Auram in them.

Oof though, these things take a lot of mana to run, I definitely need to get a pile of golems up and running on my tree farm and an infernal furnace setup to turn the wood into charcoal and make some more endoflames and just, in general, beef this poo poo up to keep up.

Theres a few wisp spawners you can find. There's one on your way to the summit, and there's another more easily accessible one near the waterfall lake.

That said. I saw a sinister node get tainted within 30 seconds of me finding it. I think pure and sinister nodes should be immune to tainting considering they usually remove tainted lands within their area.