Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

angel opportunity posted:

Some of those almost work, but none of them really do. Sorry! Your original yellow one looks better than most of those, and is about on par with the best of them (aquamarine ones). I may try to photoshop something tonight if I get time just because I'm curious if I could get it to look good.

I'll stop suggesting stuff because clearly purple/violet is not the answer here.

I have a bunch of suggestions but I can't photoshop, but if you think any of them make sense:

Part of the problem is that b/c of where the background image is placed, "Sundered" and "Heavens" are on very dark/quite light backgrounds respectively, requiring a medium tone to give any contrast at all, thus giving neither of them particularly good contrast. Also, notice the sphere of the sun is nearly centered vertically on the cover, vs. The Dark Forest cover, where it is much closer to the bottom. If you drop the image, possibly shrinking the author name (which right now is getting nearly equal prominence as the title--unnecessary for an unknown self-pub author), then you can put "Sundered Heaven" entirely on a dark background and have a lot more options. I can't envision of a pale cool color that would work well here, but if you sampled one of the lighter yellows from the flaming sun and put it over the dark clouds, I think that would give the pop of contrast needed. Then you could also remove the darker outline which I think looks gross and was mostly there to make the text readable against the lighter parts of the background image.

Lift up the "Boon of the Prophetess Saga" so it's not sitting on the sun, consider making black or just deleting, since I haven't read any of the other books in the saga and presumably they don't exist and I have no idea what that means.

Personally, I think the centered, medium-weight serif font looks amateur and boring. I'd try doing something like on The Dark Forest, with Sundered and Heaven being different sizes so they take up the same width.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

CommissarMega posted:

Fair enough; I'm just starting out with image editing myself, and I haven't quite got a grip on how to do all that fancy stuff with font effects and whatnot. I think what makes The Dark Forest's title work is that it's bright where it needs to be and vice versa; I'm not sure how to do that myself, so it's all one solid colour block. I tried embossing and shadowing the text, but as you can see, there's only so much I can do for now.

EDIT: One final set of attempts before I go to bed:

Gold
Slightly Lighter Gold
Silver

Also, I'm guessing Draft 2 Digital isn't where I should start my literary career? :v: I was planning to go Kindle Unlimited anyway (it's a long book, around 100k words post-editing); is that a good idea?

Can you post just the background image you are using, preferable prior to any cropping you have done?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

WOO CONGRATULATIONS. That's a whole coffee!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Why were you expecting to make money on Apple?

CommissarMega posted:

All right, here's a revised cover and blurb for my book (sci-fi/fantasy, if it helps), with credits and a lot of grateful thanks to the awesome goons in the thread:

I'm gonna go ahead and say that I'm not a fan of your stock image, which is probably why you're struggling with it.

e: IMO the problem is that everything is orange and it looks like poo poo.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

IPart of the problem is that b/c of where the background image is placed, "Sundered" and "Heavens" are on very dark/quite light backgrounds respectively, requiring a medium tone to give any contrast at all, thus giving neither of them particularly good contrast. Also, notice the sphere of the sun is nearly centered vertically on the cover, vs. The Dark Forest cover, where it is much closer to the bottom. If you drop the image, possibly shrinking the author name (which right now is getting nearly equal prominence as the title--unnecessary for an unknown self-pub author), then you can put "Sundered Heaven" entirely on a dark background and have a lot more options. I can't envision of a pale cool color that would work well here, but if you sampled one of the lighter yellows from the flaming sun and put it over the dark clouds, I think that would give the pop of contrast needed. Then you could also remove the darker outline which I think looks gross and was mostly there to make the text readable against the lighter parts of the background image.

Thing is, that IS the whole image I'm using; I'm not sure how I can drop it any further. That said, it is a large image, and I fon't have to use all of it. I could put a darker-coloured title in the bright area above the sun/shattered planet, maybe?

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Lift up the "Boon of the Prophetess Saga" so it's not sitting on the sun, consider making black or just deleting, since I haven't read any of the other books in the saga and presumably they don't exist and I have no idea what that means.

Fair enough; I suppose I can put that bit in once I've finished the other books in the series. I'll also reduce the author name, no worries.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Personally, I think the centered, medium-weight serif font looks amateur and boring. I'd try doing something like on The Dark Forest, with Sundered and Heaven being different sizes so they take up the same width.

Could work; I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Can you post just the background image you are using, preferable prior to any cropping you have done?

Sure, here you go.

ravenkult posted:

IMO the problem is that everything is orange and it looks like poo poo.

Any colours you could recommend? Something darker (e.g. space and some planets) maybe?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 18, 2015

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh for god's sake.

PM me the background and i'll do it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm not happy with the 'book one of the prophetess saga' line so I might have another crack at it later using a compressed version of the font, but right now my lasagne's nearly ready.

Most importantly you can now read the title on the thumbnail.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Had a couple spare minutes and I don't really know much at all about cover design but if you are dead set on the yellow / orange text, maybe you could use a gradient to darken the top part of the image? There is already some natural shadow there, so you could just ramp that up a bit:

Honestly you could probably go even bigger on the text / play around with colors to tweak the contrast, etc., but just throwing out an idea.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Bobby's version is the best one, but that cover...man it's so generic I just can't even.

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

ravenkult posted:

Bobby's version is the best one, but that cover...man it's so generic I just can't even.

Yeah, agree w/ this. The font needs something--a gradient, some holes bit out, something to spice it up. I'd go look for a better font (you can get them free, just google). Take a look at that cover AO posted again: see how that text is slightly transparent? That gives the font something interesting. The stock image is generic, but it can be fine with a little work and dressing-up.

Incidentally, all of this is why I pay for cover images.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ravenkult posted:

Yeah, it's just... orange. Unfortunately I'm stuck with just gimp and a laptop at the moment. Bit of cyan & orange is the best I can do.

Three options:

e: 3rd option looked crap.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 18, 2015

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

That's tons better. If you think you're going to make some money with this book, go buy or commission a cover. Otherwise this will do.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Thank god you took out that dropshadow.

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!

ravenkult posted:

If you think you're going to make some money with this book, go buy or commission a cover.

I don't mean to sound like a shill for Go On, Write--because I'm not--but if this is the kind of feel you want for your cover, then his poo poo ain't that expensive, comparatively speaking. I mean, any of these would work better than your original idea?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Well my new book is finally out, after a lovely start to the year, and I'm psyched to see how well it does!

Young adult fantasy still sells, right? :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Dicked around with it a little bit with the assumptions that you're sold on the cover image (meh) and that you don't want to recolor it (plus Bobby made that look decent already). Third assumption: That you'd be okay with me screwing around a little bit with effects that probably aren't ideal but I wanted to try. :v: In particular, you can drop the vivid light glow. I left the author name alone so that you could see how it looks without it too.

If you want to recreate something like this yourself (or tweak it to your taste): League Gothic Font at 75% vertical sizing for your starting point. 660 font up top, 350 for author name. All three are set to "Difference" at 100% opacity in Photoshop. Each of the title texts currently have an outer glow set to "Vivid Light" Blend Mode and 75% opacity, 5% Spread / 32% Size, solid white color purely for fun. It looks neat up close, but not so good in thumbnail.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 19, 2015

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
So here's a mock-up of what I meant with regards to lowering the skyline and making the title text bigger, of equal width, etc. There's a lot of stuff messed up in here, since I basically threw it together in GIMP with what I could figure out in a couple hours.

Here's what I would fix if I knew how to use the tool better:

Fonts: Pick better fonts, I just went with the first kinda okay fonts I found in GIMP, because whatever.
Kerning: I'd probably space the letters of the title a bit further apart, the E and A in Heavens are actually touching, which I don't like, but by the time I noticed it was already an image mask.
Contrast with lettering: the bottom of the E and N in Heaven are disappearing into the background, but given the nature of the background, it could be darkened at that point with some strategic dodging/clone work to make that point pop a little bit more. Also, at the bottom, I lightened it b/c I was originally going with black for the author name, if that was left original or darkened a little bit, the white name would pop more.
Color/sky image of the title: find a new sky image. I just went with the first generally empty and gradient sky image i found in a google image search and had to scale it a lot to get a decent color grade. I think a better one could be found.
Title text is slightly out of alignment
Author name could be a little larger, and slightly bolder.

Edit: Someone on IRC said they liked the color contrast of teal/bright orange, and apparently I have no life (also now with actual ebook cover ratios):

One of my IRC pals made me this image to describe my process:

Dr. Kloctopussy fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 19, 2015

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
designing by committee is fun

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

This is my favourite, though I like DocKloc's one quite a bit, too

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

We're just going to end up doing a kickass cover for free, aren't we?

e: I think it's because there's definitely the seed of a good cover there, it just needs something, and we're all driving ourselves nuts trying to come up with what it might be.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Aug 19, 2015

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bobby Deluxe posted:

We're just going to end up doing a kickass cover for free, aren't we?

Curses! You've seen through my cunning plan!

But seriously though, like you said there is an awesome cover there, it's just that none of us (me least of all) seem to have ny idea on how to bring it out. If push comes to shove, I'll probably use either yours, Doc's or Sundae's. That said, before I do that, I've got one more idea I want to try out. What do you guys think of this, or at least something like it?:

It's not the final cover, not by a long shot, but it's an idea I had while at work.

anime was right posted:

Well, while I do have *~my vision~* about how the cover should look, it's people like you guys who'll be reading :) Might as well do some market research.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

That said, before I do that, I've got one more idea I want to try out. What do you guys think of this, or at least something like it?:

It's not the final cover, not by a long shot, but it's an idea I had while at work.

Well, while I do have *~my vision~* about how the cover should look, it's people like you guys who'll be reading :) Might as well do some market research.
Not easy to read the title as a thumbnail, obscures a lot of the background, font is not merged well with the backdrop.

Image links to original size, if you want it. I might try again later with a serif font like the ones other people have been using.

e: like Ravenkult said, this'll do as a first cover while you concentrate on the marketing and getting it out there, but you'll probably want to commission a proper cover once you have the money.

e2: Grizzled Patriarch, which font did you use on your version?

e3: Holy poo poo, don't use this one, use Fuego Fish's one further down.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 19, 2015

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

http://stuff.veekun.com/pkcolor/

Here's a pretty good free guide to color theory

Contrasting colors have ideal aesthetic ratios. This is why blue text in predominately orange looks bad.

Luckily for orange and yellow images there are other ways to create contrast while maintaining harmony using value (light vs dark) and saturation (grey vs colorful)

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Now I'm getting quite self-conscious about my own covers.

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

This is the best cover if you mix in some of the more interesting font work Sundae/Kloctopussy are doing.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The version with the black bars is bad. Don't use it.

anime was right posted:

It really is. I've been enjoying this cover tangent so far. :3:

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Since we're all giving it a go, I thought I'd try my hand. (Click for big)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Fuego Fish posted:

This is my favorite so far

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

angel opportunity posted:

This is my favorite so far

I can resize/reposition the text pretty easily (oh vectors, how I love you) in case it needs to have a bigger title or anything. Which it might, the "Sundered Heavens" part looks like it could stand to be a little larger now that I look at it in thumbnail.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Fuego Fish posted:

This is fantastic.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

As far as turds go, it's really polished.

(it is the best one though, for realz)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Here's the evolution:

Imagine being a shopper on Amazon, which thumbnail would you pass over completely, and which might you click on? :D

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Uhh as a discerning Amazon shopper I would immediately pass on both and head directly to the dinosaur pseudo-incest aisle

brotherly
Aug 20, 2014

Fuego Fish posted:

Winner by far!

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Uhh as a discerning Amazon shopper I would immediately pass on both and head directly to the dinosaur pseudo-incest aisle

duh

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Holy crap, that cover is awesome. Quite the transition.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Way to knock it out the park Fuego you dick :ironicat:

Personally i'm not sure about the texture / transparency on the lettering, i'd be tempted to see how pure white looks.

I'd also be curious to see how it would look with a little muted blue added for contrast, but really it looks amazing as-is.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I used broadly the same principle for the text as I did on the cover to my new book, with a few minor differences. It's comprised of a set of layers: a blurred shadow to darken the area around the text, a dodge filter layer to brighten the background so the text isn't a solid colour, a layer above that which reduces the saturation by 50%(ish), and another layer over that to correct things.

The difference being that the background image I used for my cover was art I commissioned and not a stock image, so I didn't really save any money on it :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fuego Fish posted:

I am the father to this; not the sole father, but father regardless.

Goddamit now I have to rewrite my book to fit the cover :stonklol: Seriously though, can I use this? How much do you usually charge for this sort of thing? I'll try to make it up to you if I could.

EDIT: Taken the good advice below.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 19, 2015

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Before you go and toxx yourself against some future payment maybe you should ask him how much he'd charge.. People very often underestimate the true cost of high quality work, especially when they don't fully comprehend the value that comes from a skilled person doing it right versus the cost of a layperson doing it poorly. See also this fun anecdote: http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/where.asp though it's not super related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

For further proof of the value of the good cover, look at all the sub-standard attempts everyone else did. I also tried to do a few last night, and none of them looked good, so I didn't bother posting them.