Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Enfys posted:

Still my favourite quote about English by James Nicoll:

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary."

That man can write!

It seems like most pidgin/creole have a strong does of English to them. I wonder, is English somehow more open to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Probably more due to first the British then the American empire's dominance in trade than any feature of the language.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Do math-cults still exist? Like, neo-pythagorian groups?

Well the Freemasons are still around.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah, man-men, child-children, ox-oxen for example aren't loan words.

You could say that those are loaned from old germanic languages :smugmrgw:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

Probably more due to first the British then the American empire's dominance in trade than any feature of the language.

Particularly the slave trade, which generated dozens of new pidgin languages by itself.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
No discussion of pluralism is complete without many much moosen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWzYaZDK6Is

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

kapalama posted:

That man can write!

It seems like most pidgin/creole have a strong does of English to them. I wonder, is English somehow more open to this?

If anything it's the other way around; the definition of "English" is much more inclusive than of many other languages. British English, Australian English, Indian English, and African American Vernacular English are all still regarded as dialects of English even though in some cases speakers use significantly different spelling and grammar. Contrast that with Serbian, Bosnian, and Croatian. The differences between them are significantly less than the differences between American and British English, yet I can tell you from personal experience that many Bosnians and Croatians will flatly deny being able to understand Serbian. In diplomatic situations, all parties will go through the ridiculous song and dance of demanding "translators".

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Gobbeldygook posted:

If anything it's the other way around; the definition of "English" is much more inclusive than of many other languages. British English, Australian English, Indian English, and African American Vernacular English are all still regarded as dialects of English even though in some cases speakers use significantly different spelling and grammar. Contrast that with Serbian, Bosnian, and Croatian. The differences between them are significantly less than the differences between American and British English, yet I can tell you from personal experience that many Bosnians and Croatians will flatly deny being able to understand Serbian. In diplomatic situations, all parties will go through the ridiculous song and dance of demanding "translators".

Conversely, mandarin and cantonese are very different languages, but don't try telling that to the government of China who insists that China Is One.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Excellent reading comprehension you have :thumbsup:

alnilam posted:

You could say that those are loaned from old germanic languages :smugmrgw:

One of which (Old English) Modern English is a direct descendent of?

Geez guys I'm not a linguist so this is probably some semantic cesspit I'm trying to crawl through but I feel like there's a difference between "We discovered this concept/thing that was never really known in human history so let's make up a word from roots found in dead languages to name it" loanwords and loanwords that make their way into languages naturally via cultural mixing/assimilation, similar to how Middle English got all them Norman-French words that never existed in Old English.

Is there a single topic in all of human knowledge that gonns won't get angry about?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Is there a single topic in all of human knowledge that gonns won't get angry about?

No, because there is no topic where someone won't come barrelling in going "well I think..." even though they have no idea what they're talking about.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

"We discovered this concept/thing that was never really known in human history so let's make up a word from roots found in dead languages to name it" loanwords

Except that data, phenomenon, and radius are super ancient concepts, not made up neologisms, and we use the the latin and greek words because words like "phenomenon" were used by academic elites who dealt in Latin and Greek. Not unlike how the french-based word "beef" was used by the Norman ruling class who ate it while the old English word "cow" was used by the peasants who farmed it. It's really not that different.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What about all the other languages steeling modern words from English, hm? Words like Internet, wifi, parking, etc.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How wary should I be of kitchen equipment from dumpster diving? It's basically a knife set that looks used but perfectly fine otherwise.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Vegetable posted:

How wary should I be of kitchen equipment from dumpster diving? It's basically a knife set that looks used but perfectly fine otherwise.

Clean it really well, and if the handle material allows leaving it to soak in bleach should take care of things.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Probably used to kill someone. If your kitchen starts showing signs on being haunted, ditch them and have a priest come sanctify your house.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Vegetable posted:

If you're concerned, wipe it all down with bleach. They's what I did when I got grubby rear end enameled cast iron from the second hand shop.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

tuyop posted:

What about all the other languages steeling modern words from English, hm? Words like Internet, wifi, parking, etc.

I don't see the relevance but they're loan words.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
Google capcha keeps giving me the worst possible confirmation process. This happens when I use my main user on my linux machine, if I either use windows or just another user on the very same linux box I get the confirmation that is just one click. Meanwhile on my main user I have to be aways looking for images of foods or trucks or whatever, and sometimes just clicking in two images is not enough and I'm forced to find the third one, it's loving maddening. Anyone have any idea why this happens?

Edit: alternatively, do you guys know where could I possibly ask for google to check this poo poo? I tried some recaptcha discussion group but it's like a ghost town there.

program666 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 19, 2015

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I was filling out a thing online for health insurance, and a rep from the company called me out of nowhere to ask if I had any questions etc (I entered my number while filling it out). Is this a normal thing that happens? I guess it's the company (CoventryOne) trying to scoop me up before I look for plans elsewhere? He had all my info that I had entered so far, so it seemed legit.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

program666 posted:

Google capcha keeps giving me the worst possible confirmation process. This happens when I use my main user on my linux machine, if I either use windows or just another user on the very same linux box I get the confirmation that is just one click. Meanwhile on my main user I have to be aways looking for images of foods or trucks or whatever, and sometimes just clicking in two images is not enough and I'm forced to find the third one, it's loving maddening. Anyone have any idea why this happens?

Edit: alternatively, do you guys know where could I possibly ask for google to check this poo poo? I tried some recaptcha discussion group but it's like a ghost town there.

It assumes everyone using linux is a hacker/trying to break something.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I use linux and don't have any problems with captcha :shrug:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

alnilam posted:

I was filling out a thing online for health insurance, and a rep from the company called me out of nowhere to ask if I had any questions etc (I entered my number while filling it out). Is this a normal thing that happens? I guess it's the company (CoventryOne) trying to scoop me up before I look for plans elsewhere? He had all my info that I had entered so far, so it seemed legit.

Yes, your assumption is spot on. If a customer is having problems or is confused contacting them and helping them out will increase the chances they stick with you.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Regarding odd English words and pronunciation there isn't much better than The Chaos by Gerard Nolst Trenité: http://ncf.idallen.com/english.html

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Do we have a podcasts thread? I just had a quick look through PYF, NMD, and IYG but didn't find anything. Barring the existence of such a thread, does anyone know of something like a podcast version of The Daily Show/The Nightly Show/Last Week Tonight?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

RGD is an entire podcast subforum: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=255

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Dammit, I remembered the acronym RGD when I thought of asking, but had forgotten about it by the time I asked. Thanks!

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
I'm taking a long-distance flight this Friday (U.S. domestic), and I'll be bringing some very local craft beer in my checked luggage.

A relative of mine pointed out that my beer could be the target of theft during transport. Should I be concerned? If so, how do I mitigate the chance that this will happen? Should I tell airport staff when I check the bag so that I have a witness?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I'd be far more worried about it exploding or otherwise breaking than being stolen, which seems pretty silly to me.

Raimundus
Apr 26, 2008

BARF! I THOUGHT I WOULD LIKE SMELLING DOG BUTTS BUT I GUESS I WAS WRONG!
It's a growler. I'm going to tape the lid and put it in a plastic bag. It'll be cushioned by my clothes in a hard suitcase. If it breaks, I'll suck it up and move on.

I just don't want it going missing if somebody "inspects" my bag.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

c0ldfuse posted:

Regarding odd English words and pronunciation there isn't much better than The Chaos by Gerard Nolst Trenité: http://ncf.idallen.com/english.html

This is hard to read.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
What's the cheapest way to call the US from europe, is there like some free VoIP way, or does that not work if I have to call a landline number?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Crankit posted:

What's the cheapest way to call the US from europe, is there like some free VoIP way, or does that not work if I have to call a landline number?

Skype and google voice can do it real cheap.

If you can VPN into a US server, you can do it for free :evilbuddy:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Raimundus posted:

I'm taking a long-distance flight this Friday (U.S. domestic), and I'll be bringing some very local craft beer in my checked luggage.

A relative of mine pointed out that my beer could be the target of theft during transport. Should I be concerned? If so, how do I mitigate the chance that this will happen? Should I tell airport staff when I check the bag so that I have a witness?

I've never flown with a checked growler, but I've checked large and small bottle of beer (as well as bottles of wine) numerous times on coast to coast US flights and never had a problem. Just make sure it is packed well so it doesn't break, that would be very unpleasant, potentially for other passengers with a suitcase stowed next to yours.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Raimundus posted:

I've lost two iPads this way now. Mailing it doesn't help either because those postal workers steal your poo poo too!

I would say that the only way is to walk but then you get pickpocketed by all these latchkey kids with no morals!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

alnilam posted:

Skype and google voice can do it real cheap.

If you can VPN into a US server, you can do it for free :evilbuddy:

Yeah, I've used skype for this and was very satisfied. Will do again too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason, my first floor smells like pot (I think; I haven't had direct contact with the stuff). It did not smell last night, but started smelling first thing in the morning. We don't live in a very populated area and it rained last night, so it seems unlikely that we had people smoking around our house. We did hear some sort of sound outside while we were going to sleep, but didn't think much of it. There is a feral/stray cat whose gender we don't know; does male cats' spray smell at all like weed? What else could possibly be making this odor?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Raimundus posted:

Wire a pinhole camera somewhere in your bag so you can see if a TSA agent steals it. There's really nothing you can do to mitigate the chance without getting creative. The airport staff you tell will give zero shits that you have "a witness."

Find a gross substance that can legally be checked in bags but would be disgusting to drink and put a fake label for it on the growler?

hooah posted:

For some reason, my first floor smells like pot (I think; I haven't had direct contact with the stuff). It did not smell last night, but started smelling first thing in the morning. We don't live in a very populated area and it rained last night, so it seems unlikely that we had people smoking around our house. We did hear some sort of sound outside while we were going to sleep, but didn't think much of it. There is a feral/stray cat whose gender we don't know; does male cats' spray smell at all like weed? What else could possibly be making this odor?

If you haven't been around weed before and don't know exactly what it smells like, it's probably just some plant that's releasing a peculiar scent after the rain.

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 20, 2015

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

hooah posted:

If you live in certain areas that are some plants that get burnt to clear them that smell exactly like weed.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Raimundus posted:

Stop listening to your paranoid relatives. No one gives a gently caress about your beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I put a couple of new pairs of cheap, dark wash blue jeans through my washer & dryer. Now the inside of the dryer is stained blue, and some of my towels and khakis have a faint blue tint to them. Is there any way to remove the stains?